Bayanet Detective Letter To Editor

Limited space.  In the version on my website, I'll touch on that and make mention of the fact these same officers in Washington State are complaining legalization has reduced their seizures by 70%.  I have the arrest statistics on many MI counties.  In general 70% of drug arrests are marijuana related and the VAST majority are for possession.  We should not be viewing marijuana patients as a source of revenue for police agencies.

Very good response, Doc!  I hope they print it.

Maybe you should challenge him to a debate of the facts.  Public access TV would probably pick up that 'bout'.  Then on to Youtube, Anderson Cooper, Jimmy Fallon, Congressional Hearings, and bam, you're famous

I'm already famous (after all, YOU know me), and don't feel like getting arrested...lol

Edited by Dr. Bob

it was a good letter, but i think the barb that stuck me was when he called medical marijuana patients fakers who just wanted to get stoned.

btw, cite the average age for mmj patient in your reply. i'm not sure if michigan ever printed it but colorado's average age for mmj patient is ~40 years old.

Zap will prob have a stroke, but I can say more in a post than in the editorial due to space concerns.  Here is the full posting.

http://www.denalihealthcaremi.com/dangers-decriminalization/

Our average age is 51 and fewer than 17% are under 30.  I don't market college kids, I leave that to the hotel clinics.

Edited by Dr. Bob

I think the prescription opiate abuse is a real hot button these days.  It is aggravating to see this officer complain that people are using cannabis for pain.  Sometime perhaps in a future article, more could be made of replacing the opiates with cannabis pain medicines.  Not many lay people realize the dramatic reductions in opiates that most medical cannabis patients achieve.  Also, they fail to consider the overall social benefits of having less of these opiates legally prescribed....to anyone 

Forgive the cut and paste from a letter but here is the point I would like to see presented someday regarding prefering cannabis as pain medicine

Would you be more concerned if your 4 year old accidentally discovered several joints or if they discovered a bottle of oxycontin? If your teen decided to experiment with ‘getting high’, would you rather they smoke marijuana or would you rather they experiment with the prescription vicodin from the medicine cabinet?

How then is our society better protecting the children by favoring prescription pain medications over medical marijuana?

"stoned" means finally being without symptoms of dis-ease, if not for only a few hours to me. Some laughter and introspection may arise and I consider serious side effects.

what is it called when a fentanyl patient gets a new patch, and then slur their words, cant walk, and crash cars? oh yeah, "relief".

It doesn't bother me one bit if a human wants to ingest a plant to make them feel better, or even if they're only faking the feeling of wanting it, and even faking the feeling of using it, for fake's sake. :drinking-coffee:

it was a good letter, but i think the barb that stuck me was when he called medical marijuana patients fakers who just wanted to get stoned.

btw, cite the average age for mmj patient in your reply. i'm not sure if michigan ever printed it but colorado's average age for mmj patient is ~40 years old.

is a federal agent supposed to lie about drugs? i thought that rule was only for the ONDCP guy?

wheres the fed rule on lying about drugs?

but yes this guy sounds exactly like the D.A.R.E. officer who just shouts at children , hoping to scare them.

it sounds weird when hes still shouting, this time at adults.

i mean shouting, because otherwise his grammar and composition is just terrible.

this is for any one who has kids in school!  If they have a dare program keep them home on them days, home school them for a few wks, I know I can get my kids dr excuses to stay home, or I can just yank em out of school and home school them!

Lets not let the gov get away with this b.s again, I dont want any one telling my kid about anything that has nothing to do with school,  these dare officers alread get my tax money and the teacher get paid to teach, lets leave school for teaching, if they want a dare program make it on the weekends so we can leave them audatoriums empty on dare day!

I dare them leo's to teach my kids something I will teach them about, when my kids are adults and choose to break the law, than leo can have at em like the rest of them, this fricking article could not be so far from wrong, it dont say alot if not most grow with all natrual ferts or worm casings bat quamo, wtf?

This article p p's me right off, I say teach your own kids leo, leave mine the phaq alone!

Peace

Most federal agents are trained and given information that is false so they don't even realize they are lying. :-)

It is an infected and flawed system that was corrupted by their own lies. This is why their arguments crumble under any weight.

Policy and content are made at the top(lies) and fed to pigs like the slop it is.

Mal how long are fed officers in their accademys?  I seen my son go thru the brain washing when he went thru marine boot camp, and I have to say at first I was very surprised and worried, my boy was not the same person who went to boot camp when he came out and before combat training, he told me all about it, he was disgusted on the street simply by the way kids dressed and he dressed the same way before he went in!

Is the cia or nsa's training programs that strict where they tear you down and build you back up the way they want you?

When I went to his graduation from boot camp in s.c I asked him where are all the big dudes you see in the films, he told me they didnt have enough time to eat, the marines pretty much made them all the same size, the lil guys got muscles and enough to eat and the big guys didnt get enough to eat and lost fat, gained muscles, they were basicly all the same size, of course exept for how tall they were.

I dont understand how a fed officer can be like they are just for money, some have to beleive they are doing the right thing!

I dont understand

Peace

Here is the proposed article, any suggestions?

A Physician Response to the Dangers of Decriminalizing Marijuana

I am Dr. Robert Townsend, President of Denali Healthcare, a Mt. Pleasant Pain Management office. I read with some interest the ‘Guest Voice’ Article on the ‘Dangers of decriminalizing marijuana’ by Michael Covarrubias. Despite my concern about retribution I felt the need to respond to the outrageous claims made in the article.

It seems that drug enforcement officers such as Mr. Covarrubias seem to have an outline for these articles. I’d like to respond to several of their ‘talking points’ about the evils of medical marijuana.

Big Cannabis has duped the voters

A common theme used by those with a vested interest in the ‘War on Drugs’ is that there is a hidden hand at work- Big Cannabis. Big Cannabis is a ‘tool’ of the drug cartels and a danger to truth, justice and the American Way. They talk about the ‘intent’ of the voters to help terminal patients. They talk about marijuana financing heroin and cocaine.

The truth of the matter is the voters are not as stupid as they would like us to believe. They knew EXACTLY what they were voting for. My 75 year old mother wanted to help cancer patients AND those with chronic pain when she voted for the Act. I suspect many others did as well. As for financing drug cartels, marijuana does not do that. The fact that marijuana is illegal and people are forced to buy it from criminals does. Fortunately, we have medical marijuana in this state, so people can grow it themselves or buy it from their licensed caregivers.

Marijuana Patients are Poor Parents

All this nonsense about children being kicked out of their bedrooms so people can grow marijuana is designed not to show the danger to children, but to show their marijuana smoking parents are incapable of caring for them properly. Good parents would never do such a thing, so ‘weed’ smoking parents must by definition be bad. We see this angle constantly being exploited by CPS, vindictive ex-spouses, and the courts, despite the protections built right into the Act to prevent such assumptions. Sen Rick Jones is even attempting to ram through a bill forcing parents to choose between children and medicine to formalize the mindset.

Children and College Kids

A common theme is to associate marijuana use with children. Actual state statistics show that of 130,000 medical marijuana patients in this state, only 44 are minors. Having certified about 1/3 of them, I can assure you that most will not live long enough to be majors and all are gravely ill. They are exactly the ‘terminally ill’ patients the voters were ‘duped’ by ‘Big Cannabis’ about, yet because the image of a toddler with a bong is what you are trying to project, you conveniently leave out the ‘duped voter’ angle.

Cannabis is different now and dangerous

Your study suggests that there is THC on the surfaces of homes of medical marijuana patients, and that somehow this is so dangerous that you need to wear protective gear as if you were cleaning up a meth lab (note the association of cannabis with meth to control the mindset of the reader). Yet THC is harmless, and in fact there are literally thousands of studies showing medical benefit. Meth is not. Unlike cannabis, cocaine is legal, far more dangerous and addictive, and is schedule 2 and available for medical use. I wonder what the risk of even nanogram levels of marijuana on a coffee table will have any adverse effect with transdermal absorption. But if you are worried, please feel free to wear your bunny suit.

Cannabis hurts performance and makes you stupid

Last I checked, cannabis was not used as a performance enhancing drug. We all know how it hurts athletic performance in people like Michael Phelps. You would be amazed at how many very smart people at companies like Microsoft or Google actually use cannabis yet still manage to muddle along and turn their companies into Fortune 500 operations.

Cannabis is a Gateway Drug

Mr. Covarrubias discussed his interviews with college students and how they claimed cannabis was the cause of their woes. Let’s get this clear. He wasn’t interviewing them for a term paper, or a newspaper story. He was ARRESTING them. They were sitting there, in handcuffs, facing a charge that likely would ruin their lives- impacting their employment, student loans, even military service. I am sure they told the authority figure with the badge anything he wanted to hear.

The gateway drug for heroin is prescription pain killers- more than 51% started their habit at the doctor’s office. The vast majority of people get their first exposure to ‘illegal’ drugs with alcohol and underage drinking.

In closing, as a citizen, a voter and a member of the medical community, I wish to personally thank Mr. Covarrubias and his brother law-enforcement officers for the job they do keeping us safe from dangerous drugs. I just want to very clearly tell him that Marijuana is NOT one of them. The major adverse side effect of marijuana is exposure to the criminal justice system.

Dr. Robert Townsend is President of Denali Healthcare in Mt. Pleasant, a pain management clinic. He uses cannabis certifications as a tool to reduce the use of more dangerous narcotic pain medicine. He is not a card holder and has never personally used marijuana. For more information see www.denalihealthcaremi.com

Im not the best comunicator!  I think this letter is very well written, im sure a few may have some things they would like you to add, and you know who you would listen to around here,

Thanks Bob!

Peace

this is for any one who has kids in school!  If they have a dare program keep them home on them days, home school them for a few wks, I know I can get my kids dr excuses to stay home, or I can just yank em out of school and home school them!

Lets not let the gov get away with this b.s again, I dont want any one telling my kid about anything that has nothing to do with school,  these dare officers alread get my tax money and the teacher get paid to teach, lets leave school for teaching, if they want a dare program make it on the weekends so we can leave them audatoriums empty on dare day!

I dare them leo's to teach my kids something I will teach them about, when my kids are adults and choose to break the law, than leo can have at em like the rest of them, this fricking article could not be so far from wrong, it dont say alot if not most grow with all natrual ferts or worm casings bat quamo, wtf?

This article p p's me right off, I say teach your own kids leo, leave mine the phaq alone!

Peace

Thank you Jim

Recently many articles have been written about the decriminalization of Marijuana from the

point of view that it will create a large amount of revenue for the state of Michigan. This

is the second big sales pitch after the Pro Cannabis community convinced Michigan voters

that the Medical Marijuana Act was for treating cancer patients. Today by Michigan’s own

statistics it reports that less that 3% of cardholders are cancer patients. The greatest number of

cardholders is for chronic pain, 68% according to the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act Statistical

Report 2013. Chronic pain is anywhere from knee to back pain. I have personally interviewed

numerous college students and inquired on the reasons for their “Weed Card.” The reason was

from having knee surgery, back pain, anxiety and even heart burn. Most of these kids were

between the ages of 19 to 25 years of age. Most had obtained their card without their parent’s

knowledge. These are the same age groups that can stay on their parents insurance until they

are 26 years of age.

For years I have been talking about the unseen consequences of marijuana use. Marijuana

is not the same weed that was smoked in the 70’s. Weed from the 70’s and 80’s was mostly

grown in Mexico or Canada, (BC Bud). It was commonly grown in the ground and users would

have to separate the seeds and stems from the marijuana. Today marijuana is grown through

cloning and is grown in a way to get the highest THC content. This process has made today’s

cannabis more addicting and the chances of paranoia greater. As a Volunteer Coach, I have

talked with many students that stopped playing sports because they could not stop smoking

weed. I also interviewed a college student that was breaking into houses so he could sell the

stolen property to buy weed to ease his addiction.

The biggest danger of marijuana is not addiction or death. The biggest danger is what it is

doing to the children of people that grow marijuana in their homes. All over the state, children

are being kicked out their bedrooms, toy rooms, and garages so that their parents can grow

marijuana in their rooms. The grower is using pesticides, carbon monoxide, ozone and fertilizer

indoors. Most of these chemicals are meant for outdoors. These indoor growths are creating

large energy and water bills into the thousands monthly. Growing marijuana requires a large

amount of energy to power lights and feed their plants. All of these dangerous chemicals are

being exposed to children at home; they live in these environments and are more likely to have

respiratory and learning disabilities.

Marijuana Grow Operations create 10 times the amount of mold than if it was grown outside.

A recent study by the National Jewish Health Association followed a Narcotic Team into 30

Marijuana Grow Search Warrants. The investigators took swabs of surfaces in the kitchen,

children rooms, and bathrooms and on the children’s toys and found traces of THC on every

surface of the house. After the study was complete, they recommended that law enforcement

agencies investigating grow operations wear the same protective clothing as if they were

investigating a meth lab due to the chemical and respiratory dangers. Imagine a child that lives

in the home 24 hours a day that produces marijuana—they are not only being contaminated

with THC, but they are going to school smelling like the strong odor of marijuana. Anyone

who has been around a teething baby knows they put everything in their mouth. This has also

created a problem for anyone living in an apartment sharing heating and cooling duct work with

a marijuana grower.

In a recent article CM Life highlighted four students’ opinions on the decriminalizing of

marijuana. One of the students stated that marijuana calms her. It is a fact that marijuana

raises your heart rate and your blood pressure and in some cases extreme paranoia. Paranoia

is a state that is far from calming. Another student didn’t want to visit his local shady drug

dealer. One student stated that is wasn’t as bad as heroin or cocaine. Marijuana is the single

drug that finances all drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Since 99% percent of drug users are

marijuana users, marijuana finances drug cartels and the overseas shipments of harder drugs

from Mexico and Afghanistan. The last of the four students stated that it would bring the state

a lot of money. Why can’t the marijuana community just come out and say they want to get

high and quit hiding behind unrealistic reasons for legalizing marijuana.

In another recent CM Life article a study was quoted that read, “One study by Madeline Meier

and her colleagues of Duke University published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of

Sciences found that the use of marijuana lowers IQ.” It would make sense to me that anything

that lowers a person’s IQ has no place in an institution of higher learning.

In my profession I ask users how they got started using drugs. Not one of them stated they

started with heroin or cocaine. Every one of them stated that they started with marijuana. I’ll

never forget one lady who told me, “If you love your family, love your life and your friends,

don’t’ do drugs, because you’ll lose them all,” and ironically the drug she started with was

marijuana.

Michael Covarrubias is a law enforcement officer and a Mt. Pleasant resident

http://www.themorningsun.com/opinion/20140301/the-dangers-of-decriminalizing-marijuana

The club has been responding on the Morning Sun sound off as well as directly to the article. We have also openly invited this officer to a meeting for discussion. As of yet no response. The offer still stands, as well as an invite to the news media. We'll see what happens. I've got this story hitting both coasts Nationally right now as well. Blood is in the water, folks and the pro marijuana sharks are circling! I have a feeling Mt Pleasant PD is not going to be happy about this opinion piece. I highly doubt it was given the green light by his superiors. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the article couldn't be used as a defense for future marijuana cases where Officer Covarrubias was the investigating or arresting officer, as it shows blatant bias, premeditated disregard for the current law, false information, and over all prejudice against people who choose to legally use cannabis as their medication of choice. Unfortunately I think this officer is too ignorant of the facts to be embarrassed. If he isn't that ignorant, then shame on him, we have no place in our society for his kind of "service" or "protection"!

The club has been responding on the Morning Sun sound off as well as directly to the article. We have also openly invited this officer to a meeting for discussion. As of yet no response. The offer still stands, as well as an invite to the news media. We'll see what happens. I've got this story hitting both coasts Nationally right now as well. Blood is in the water, folks and the pro marijuana sharks are circling! I have a feeling Mt Pleasant PD is not going to be happy about this opinion piece. I highly doubt it was given the green light by his superiors. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the article couldn't be used as a defense for future marijuana cases where Officer Covarrubias was the investigating or arresting officer, as it shows blatant bias, premeditated disregard for the current law, false information, and over all prejudice against people who choose to legally use cannabis as their medication of choice. Unfortunately I think this officer is too ignorant of the facts to be embarrassed. If he isn't that ignorant, then shame on him, we have no place in our society for his kind of "service" or "protection"!

This is the way to go. We can't let him slink off. He needs to be made an 'example' for others to learn from. Sound familiar? Yup, it's the concept of crime and punishment. Ironic and powerful. This is how we get decriminalization in Michigan. This officer has committed a crime against the citizens he is paid to serve. A crime greater than using marijuana. It's the tipping point. Thanks for the gift Officer Covarrubias, sometimes you get what you need.

Here is the proposed article, any suggestions?

A Physician Response to the Dangers of Decriminalizing Marijuana

I am Dr. Robert Townsend, President of Denali Healthcare, a Mt. Pleasant Pain Management office. I read with some interest the ‘Guest Voice’ Article on the ‘Dangers of decriminalizing marijuana’ by Michael Covarrubias. Despite my concern about retribution I felt the need to respond to the outrageous claims made in the article.

It seems that drug enforcement officers such as Mr. Covarrubias seem to have an outline for these articles. I’d like to respond to several of their ‘talking points’ about the evils of medical marijuana.

Big Cannabis has duped the voters

A common theme used by those with a vested interest in the ‘War on Drugs’ is that there is a hidden hand at work- Big Cannabis. Big Cannabis is a ‘tool’ of the drug cartels and a danger to truth, justice and the American Way. They talk about the ‘intent’ of the voters to help terminal patients. They talk about marijuana financing heroin and cocaine.

The truth of the matter is the voters are not as stupid as they would like us to believe. They knew EXACTLY what they were voting for. My 75 year old mother wanted to help cancer patients AND those with chronic pain when she voted for the Act. I suspect many others did as well. As for financing drug cartels, marijuana does not do that. The fact that marijuana is illegal and people are forced to buy it from criminals does. Fortunately, we have medical marijuana in this state, so people can grow it themselves or buy it from their licensed caregivers.

Marijuana Patients are Poor Parents

All this nonsense about children being kicked out of their bedrooms so people can grow marijuana is designed not to show the danger to children, but to show their marijuana smoking parents are incapable of caring for them properly. Good parents would never do such a thing, so ‘weed’ smoking parents must by definition be bad. We see this angle constantly being exploited by CPS, vindictive ex-spouses, and the courts, despite the protections built right into the Act to prevent such assumptions. Sen Rick Jones is even attempting to ram through a bill forcing parents to choose between children and medicine to formalize the mindset.

Children and College Kids

A common theme is to associate marijuana use with children. Actual state statistics show that of 130,000 medical marijuana patients in this state, only 44 are minors. Having certified about 1/3 of them, I can assure you that most will not live long enough to be majors and all are gravely ill. They are exactly the ‘terminally ill’ patients the voters were ‘duped’ by ‘Big Cannabis’ about, yet because the image of a toddler with a bong is what you are trying to project, you conveniently leave out the ‘duped voter’ angle.

Cannabis is different now and dangerous

Your study suggests that there is THC on the surfaces of homes of medical marijuana patients, and that somehow this is so dangerous that you need to wear protective gear as if you were cleaning up a meth lab (note the association of cannabis with meth to control the mindset of the reader). Yet THC is harmless, and in fact there are literally thousands of studies showing medical benefit. Meth is not. Unlike cannabis, cocaine is legal, far more dangerous and addictive, and is schedule 2 and available for medical use. I wonder what the risk of even nanogram levels of marijuana on a coffee table will have any adverse effect with transdermal absorption. But if you are worried, please feel free to wear your bunny suit.

Cannabis hurts performance and makes you stupid

Last I checked, cannabis was not used as a performance enhancing drug. We all know how it hurts athletic performance in people like Michael Phelps. You would be amazed at how many very smart people at companies like Microsoft or Google actually use cannabis yet still manage to muddle along and turn their companies into Fortune 500 operations.

Cannabis is a Gateway Drug

Mr. Covarrubias discussed his interviews with college students and how they claimed cannabis was the cause of their woes. Let’s get this clear. He wasn’t interviewing them for a term paper, or a newspaper story. He was ARRESTING them. They were sitting there, in handcuffs, facing a charge that likely would ruin their lives- impacting their employment, student loans, even military service. I am sure they told the authority figure with the badge anything he wanted to hear.

The gateway drug for heroin is prescription pain killers- more than 51% started their habit at the doctor’s office. The vast majority of people get their first exposure to ‘illegal’ drugs with alcohol and underage drinking.

In closing, as a citizen, a voter and a member of the medical community, I wish to personally thank Mr. Covarrubias and his brother law-enforcement officers for the job they do keeping us safe from dangerous drugs. I just want to very clearly tell him that Marijuana is NOT one of them. The major adverse side effect of marijuana is exposure to the criminal justice system.

Dr. Robert Townsend is President of Denali Healthcare in Mt. Pleasant, a pain management clinic. He uses cannabis certifications as a tool to reduce the use of more dangerous narcotic pain medicine. He is not a card holder and has never personally used marijuana. For more information see www.denalihealthcaremi.com

Dr. Bob,  great article.  A couple of suggestions if it's not too late:  1.  in your first full paragraph you say " Mr. Covarrubias seem to have an outline for these articles."  I would suggest changing "outline" to "agenda."  2.  Further down,  "Unlike cannabis, cocaine is legal, far more dangerous and addictive, and is schedule 2 and available for medical use."  I wonder if using the term "legal" would confuse people.  Cocaine in and of itself is not legal, but it's derivatives are, i.e. Hydrocodene et al.  Again, great article.  I, too, will be there with bond money if needed  :thumbsu:

Actually, cocaine is a legal, schedule 2 med.  It is used in nasal surgery.  I already changed the 'outline' to 'script'.

Just got word from the editor of the morning sun, looks like they are going to run the article, but we will see.

Dr. Bob

You are dealing with faith and money....two things that do not respond well to logic and facts.  The sad thing is that I suspect he actually believes this stuff.  I tend to agree with GreaterClare, this is powerful evidence of bias and can and SHOULD be used in his court cases.  We have no place for bias like this in our law enforcement community.

Edited by Dr. Bob