Howdy All

Hi guys; just signed on yesterday and introducing myself and a telling little about why I am here. 

I’m a nursery farmer in The Thumb who is a worn out 63 year old former hell raiser, smoker and grower from the late 60’s - mid 70’s.  For almost 40 years now I’ve made an honest albeit backbreaking living tending my many acres of nursery stock, many times in very cold damp weather.  In the past 10 years I’ve had more things repaired, replaced and removed from this old bod than I care to think about. 

One of the things that cannot be fixed completely are my badly worn joints (although I did get my rt. hip replaced in 07; couldn’t even walk anymore) and accompanying arthritis, especially in my extremities and lower back.  In the process of trying to ease the pain, my family doc would prescribe many pills for this ‘n that.  After a while they don’t work as well so the dosage has to go up…and the vicious cycle continues. 

I was not about to have the dose increased again so I finally quit ‘em all cold turkey about 6 weeks ago, including 120 mg a day oxycodone.  Funny thing though, withdrawal wasn’t too bad after a couple days… probably because I was in bad pain while taking them anyway.  I told my doc what I did and that I wanted him to consider medical weed as a next resort.  Since I have a long medical history of pain trouble, he agreed.

I have been seeking and checking out as much information as possible to really familiarize myself about weed as my future pain reliever of choice.  I know it will work; been there, done that.  After looking over this site it seems pretty obvious to me there is a wealth of good info and camaraderie here.  I said, “Self, register and sign in.”  Now after really looking it over I think I will be glad I did.

Oh, one last thing:  being a horticulturist with a fondness for growing things I’ll probably do my own weed cultivating, per the laws, of course.  Can anyone point me to the seed aisle?  :yahoo-wave:

Welcome to the forum!  I suggest looking under the cushions of that couch you stowed in the barn back in '71.   :)  (Just kidding) But I'm sure that someone here can help point you in the right direction.  Look in the "Grow Room Green Pages" sub-forum.

Edited by cheapshades

Bones ache. Pain walks around with you everywhere you go. I understand. Welcome.

If you get to Flint you might fo to the Genessee Co. Compassion Club, right behind Jester's Lounge on Center south of Richfield. You might find some seeds, but clones are typically a better bet.

Welcome to the forum!  I suggest looking under the cushions of that couch you stowed in the barn back in '71.   :)  (Just kidding) But I'm sure that someone here can help point you in the right direction.  Look in the "Grow Room Green Pages" sub-forum.

Hehe! The last time I recall having any seeds around here was in the late 70's.  I took them all out back to an open woods and half donkey planted them.  To this day I look for any sprouts!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Bones ache. Pain walks around with you everywhere you go. I understand. Welcome.

If you get to Flint you might fo to the Genessee Co. Compassion Club, right behind Jester's Lounge on Center south of Richfield. You might find some seeds, but clones are typically a better bet.

I know where that is.  I may pop in sometime. Thanks!

Welcome, and congratulations on getting off the narcotics! I know what you mean about being in pain anyway.

Someone in your profession should be able to add a great deal of general growing knowledge to our site.

There is a good thread here that should help you find some seeds;

Tricloud Genetics is located in Michigan.

The best thing I've found for arthritic pain is Root Oil Linament.

Ingredients:

1 root ball thoroughly cleaned and dried. Wash and re wash with water until all soil is removed from fresh roots. Make sure you have dried or dehydrated it to the point where the roots are no longer soft and pliable.

1 bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

Method:

Grind root ball to a fine powder, open a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), pour approximately 1/3 of contents into a separate container for storage.

Using a funnel with an opening appropriate to container, pour in ground material, shake well, then store in a dark place, shaking every few days, for 1-2 months.

Strain out material before using, with a cheesecloth or coffee filter, apply liberally to affected area for pain relief, as needed.

Edited by Wild Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, and congratulations on getting off the narcotics! I know what you mean about being in pain anyway.

Someone in your profession should be able to add a great deal of general growing knowledge to our site.

Ingredients:

1 root ball thoroughly cleaned and dried. Wash and re wash with water until all soil is removed from fresh roots. Make sure you have dried or dehydrated it to the point where the roots are no longer soft and pliable.

Method:

Grind root ball to a fine powder, open a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), pour approximately 1/3 of contents into a separate container for storage.

Using a funnel with an opening appropriate to container, pour in ground material, shake well, then store in a dark place, shaking every few days, for 1-2 months.

Strain out material before using, with a cheesecloth or coffee filter, apply liberally to affected area for pain relief, as needed.

Ingredients:

Method:

Thanks for the welcome and great info!  And yes, I grow stuff for a living.  Years ago in 'the olden days' I would grow weed plants over 12' tall.  I'm sure I could pick up where I left off.  It's just a weed after all, hehe!