The Cb1 Receptor-Mediated Endocannabinoid Signaling And Ngf: The Novel Targets Of Curcumin

I was searching info about GI issues, and came across an article on curcumin. It was interesting so I did a search for it, noticed it has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and neuroprotectant characteristics. I thought that sounded like a cannabinoid, so I searched for that. Not a direct agonist, but it's been shown to increase endocannabinoid levels in a 'brain region specific manner'.

Abstract

Increasing interest has recently been attracted towards the identification of natural compounds including those with antidepressant properties. Curcumin has shown promising antidepressant effect, however, its molecular target(s) have not been well defined. Based on the interaction between the neurotrophins and endocannabinoid system as well as their contribution to the emotional reactivity and antidepressant action, here we show that 4-week treatment with curcumin, similar to the classical antidepressant amitriptyline, results in the sustained elevation of brain nerve growth factor (NGF) and endocannabinoids in dose-dependent and brain region-specific fashion. Pretreatment with cannabinoid CB1 receptor neutral antagonist AM4113, but not the CB2 antagonist SR144528, prevents the enhancement of brain NGF contents. AM4113 exerts no effect by itself. Our findings by presenting the CB1 receptor-mediated endocannabinoid signaling and NGF as novel targets for curcumin, suggest that more attention should be focused on the therapeutic potential of herbal medicines including curcumin.

The CB1 Receptor-Mediated Endocannabinoid Signaling and NGF: The Novel Targets of Curcumin