Sat April 5Th - Hash Bash 2014

t-pain

I was hoping someone would post this, seems like I have to do it every year!!!!

YES!

HASHBASH IS TOMORROW.

starts at noon sharp in the Diag, Monroe St. Fair starts directly after

I-96 will close tonight starting at 7 pm between Telegraph and I-275

take 94 from downtown, 696 to 275 from the eastside or take 8 mile if you must

M-14 will still be open for easy AA access!

just a reminder that smoking in public is not protected from arrest under the MMMA

and smoking on the quad is also highly discouraged and will get you arrested.

but smoking in the fair penalty is only $25 ticket... 

so i guess, dont smoke in public , not sure about presenting your mmma card either haha

Edited by t-pain

I can GUARANTEE you will have 0 issues smoking on Monroe St.

and although I haven't seen any police arrests in the Diag since the law was enacted. any offence on school property is going to face state charges.

as long as your not on school property, and not being extremely flagrant, you won't have any problem ANYWHERE in Ann Arbor on Hash Bash day, or really, any other.

NOW, on Monroe St. it's a sight everybody should see. it's an American Amsterdam for the day. smoke where ever, when ever, on the bar balcony, street, sidewalk, lawn, in line for the john........where ever!

the only arrests I've ever even heard of were alcohol related. I've never seen a single person being harassed at the street fair. EVER

oh, my first was 1979 and I've gone every year I've been in the state to attend. rain, sleet, hail, or snow

I've been to at least a dozen in a row. my oldest surviving hash-bash t-shirt is 1998

just a reminder that smoking in public is not protected from arrest under the MMMA

and smoking on the quad is also highly discouraged and will get you arrested.

but smoking in the fair penalty is only $25 ticket... 

so i guess, dont smoke in public , not sure about presenting your mmma card either haha

I agree do not use cannabis on the Diag

hash bash was fun.

some dang free spirit group setup a drum circle behind me and i couldnt hear a thing. had to move mid speech.

finally got to check out the monroe st fair. lots of people smoking everywhere.

plenty of clouds and contact highs. got offered some smokables once or twice by kind people.

all ages, races, and not just all dudes either!

two different groups giving out free water and munchies.

bunch of hydro and smoke shops offering discounts, coupons, samples etc.

its hard to describe in words how amazing it is when 3000+ people get together for a smokeout.

you can see the pictures, but theres an atmosphere of happy people. hackey sacks, frisbees, hoola hoops.

everyone is laughing, giggling , calling their friends 'where are you at?'.

i cant imagine what its like in colorado or oregon or washington when they get the 10,000+ crowds. must be great.

denver one says maybe 50,000 people! wow!

happy hash bash!

it was an AWESOME day at the hashbash. John Sinclair was there!!

Marvin Marvin , Tim Beck and Rick Thompson all were speakers in the second half hour so instead of booing/heckling, I just left and went to the fair a little early! 

thick clouds all around. young and old of all races. peaceful, polite, happy and hassle free

several people offering up medibles. dabs, joints, blunts....... all free

even saw a girl throw probably 100 joints to the crowd......also free

in my personal experience you NEVER see that well behaved of a crowd like anywhere, accept MJ based events

why does this always sneak up on me?

its tomorrow??

http://www.freedomactivist.net/hashbash.html

http://www.hashbash.com

are they closing i-96 in livonia tomorrow as well? i94 is going to be crazy...

Always sneaks up on me somehow to...? Then before ya know it, you forget to even make plans to go...have yet to ever make it to that event sadly.

The return of Hash Bash in Ann Arbor this weekend also marks the return of longtime organizer Adam Brook, who is fresh out of prison and has a lot on his mind.

"There was no reason to send me to prison," Brook told The Ann Arbor News this week. "I'm not rehabilitated in any way, shape or form."

The pro-marijuana rally on the University of Michigan Diag, which has taken place the first Saturday in April every year since 1972, went on without Brook the past two years, as he was serving a two-year sentence for a weapons violation.

14615492-large.jpgA woman dressed as Lady Liberty holds a pro-pot flag on the Diag during Hash Bash in 2011.Ryan Stanton | The Ann Arbor News

Brook was released in October and is back living in his Royal Oak home, the same home that an Oakland County narcotics team raided in 2011.

The raid — during which police seized 600 grams of marijuana, two handguns, a shotgun, a bullet-proof vest, marijuana candy, a triple-beam scale and other items — led to eight felony drug and firearms charges against Brook.

"They were looking for weed, and had they not come in my house looking for weed, none of this would have happened," Brook said, adding that if they were looking to shut him down as a pot activist, it only reinvigorated him.

In an interview this week, Brook, organizer of the Hash Bash for more than 20 years, said from his perspective the underlying message of Hash Bash is still this: "Pass any law you want. We're still going to get together and smoke weed."

The annual event attracts thousands of people to Ann Arbor, many of whom will opt to light up a joint in broad daylight on Saturday.

But the U-M Department of Public Safety warns that Hash Bash is not an amnesty day where campus police look the other way on pot smoking on campus. While they allow the political rally to happen as a matter of free speech, they will be making arrests for anyone caught with drugs, including marijuana, on university property.

While he's glad to be back, Brook lamented how the rally on the Diag has changed in his absence. He said he's lost control over organizing the event, and there's been some infighting within the movement.

14615506-large.jpgState Rep. Jeff Irwin, D-Ann Arbor, appears at Hash Bash last year. He's speaking at the rally again for the second year in a row.Ryan Stanton | The Ann Arbor News

"There's a group of people who, in my opinion, have taken advantage of the fact that I wasn't there for a couple of years," he said.

Brook said he always tried to keep the political rally on the Diag, which starts at noon on Saturday, limited to one hour, but there's a push by other organizers to have it go longer now, and his thinking is the crowd should get off the Diag sooner rather than later and get over to the Monroe Street Fair, since campus police will be making arrests on the Diag.

Brook also said he hasn't been happy with some of the speakers that organizers have brought in the last couple years, including Steve DeAngelo, a reality TV star and California medical marijuana dispensary owner who spoke in 2012.

"That's pop culture. That's not what Hash Bash is about," Brook said. "If anything, we're anti-pop culture."

He said others in the movement also are interested in bringing in a former police officer to speak, and he doesn't support that.

He also doesn't like that local musician Laith Al-Saadi has been allowed to play the national anthem during Hash Bash.

"I would never have the national anthem at an event where I'm protesting the government," he said. "I'd be more likely to allow flag burning."

Brook will be one of three emcees on Saturday, along with local marijuana activist Charmie Gholson and Mark Passerini, co-founder of the Om of Medicine dispensary in Ann Arbor. The lengthy speakers list includes Ed Rosenthal of "High Times" fame and John Sinclair, the man the local movement started around in the 1970s.

14615524-large.jpgThe scene at Hash Bash last year. The event attracts thousands of people every year.Ryan Stanton | The Ann Arbor News

Gholson confirmed that state Rep. Jeff Irwin, D-Ann Arbor, and City Council Member Sabra Briere, D-1st Ward, also will be speaking for the second year in a row. She's also expecting state Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville.

Gholson, who was involved in organizing Hash Bash the past two years, said there's bound to be conflict and disagreement regarding the longstanding rally, but she thinks the event has gone smoothly and she's glad Brook is back.

"Regarding the direction the rally has taken in his absence," she added, "I would say Hash Bash on the Diag isn't the only thing that's changed dramatically during Adam Brook's absence. The movement to end the war on marijuana has taken on a life of its own and we're riding that movement the best we can."

The fair on Monroe Street, two blocks south of the Diag, starts at noon and goes until 6 p.m., featuring live music and street vendors.

As a prelude to Hash Bash, Rosenthal will be teaching a marijuana growing class from noon to 4:20 p.m. Friday at the Sheraton Hotel in Ann Arbor.

The Hash Bash after-party starts at 8:30 p.m. Saturday at the Blind Pig, where a handful of bands are playing, including the Macpodz featuring John Sinclair.

Brook said he's not an ego-maniac and he's worked hard over the years to make Hash Bash about anything but himself, but he's hearing a lot of people say they're excited about his return and he appreciates the support.

"I'm just the host," he said. "But the reality is there's a lot of people coming to see what I have to say and to welcome me back."