Marijuana Used As Medicine For Asthma In 1920's America?

My father told me that when he was a boy (probably mid to late 1920's) his mother suffered from asthma and he remembers her smoking special "medication cigarettes" that had a distinct odor to help with her breathing. Later on in the 1960's and 70's when people smoked marijuana more frequently he would occasionally find himself in the vicinity of a toker and immediately recognized the odor as that of his mothers medicine.

I remember times I smoked pot outside in the cold of winter and had the feeling that it expanded my lungs, or opened them up making it easier to breathe. So there did seem to be some basis for this.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of such a thing. I imagine this would have been more along the lines of some sort of snake oil remedy so popular in that era rather than an actual prescribed medication.

My father told me that when he was a boy (probably mid to late 1920's) his mother suffered from asthma and he remembers her smoking special "medication cigarettes" that had a distinct odor to help with her breathing. Later on in the 1960's and 70's when people smoked marijuana more frequently he would occasionally find himself in the vicinity of a toker and immediately recognized the odor as that of his mothers medicine.

I remember times I smoked pot outside in the cold of winter and had the feeling that it expanded my lungs, or opened them up making it easier to breathe. So there did seem to be some basis for this.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of such a thing. I imagine this would have been more along the lines of some sort of snake oil remedy so popular in that era rather than an actual prescribed medication.

Along the same lines as "For your digestion's sake, smoke Camels"? 

Don't  think their claim of health benefits can be asserted as effectively these days...

But cannabis still helps asthma patients. I think that comparing cigarettes as a cure for digestion problems to cannabis as a way to help your asthma is not a very good comparison. I can see where someone who hasn't observed the benefits of cannabis for asthma might think otherwise. Just like it's hard to get people to open their eyes to the fact that cannabis helps seizures, inflammation, lowering a fever, anxiety, depression, anger issues, stomach issues, dizziness, pain, and a whole host of other health benefits. There's a lot to learn in life if you pay attention with an open mind. If you just keep the same old dogma going on then you will suffer from it. Cannabis is one of the best things for the treatment of asthma if used correctly. Edited by Restorium2

But cannabis still helps asthma patients. I think that comparing cigarettes as a cure for digestion problems to cannabis as a way to help your asthma is not a very good comparison. I can see where someone who hasn't observed the benefits of cannabis for asthma might think otherwise. Just like it's hard to get people to open their eyes to the fact that cannabis helps seizures, inflammation, lowering a fever, anxiety, depression, anger issues, stomach issues, dizziness, pain, and a whole host of other health benefits. There's a lot to learn in life if you pay attention with an open mind. If you just keep the same old dogma going on then you will suffer from it. Cannabis is one of the best things for the treatment of asthma if used correctly.

Inhaling combusted cannabis may be beneficial in the short run for ashtma due to vasodilation effects. However I would assert that in the long run one does more harm than good to the lungs when combusting on a regular basis. Hell, just look at what accumulates on the bowl of your bong!

Inhaling combusted cannabis may be beneficial in the short run for ashtma due to vasodilation effects. However I would assert that in the long run one does more harm than good to the lungs when combusting on a regular basis. Hell, just look at what accumulates on the bowl of your bong!

Vaping works good. Notice I didn't say 'smoking' and did say 'if used correctly'. It needed to be said that cannabis does help asthma. We needed to fine tune it just a bit from the good old days of just smoking.

Vaping works good. Notice I didn't say 'smoking' and did say 'if used correctly'. It needed to be said that cannabis does help asthma. We needed to fine tune it just a bit from the good old days of just smoking.

Agreed. And truth be told, I'm not totally "combustion-free". But I do know that it a health risk factor (although I believe it to be a minimal one for me.)