Lemon Balm Extracts, An Anti-Tumor Potential Rat Study

t-pain

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22938456

Here we investigated the antiproliferative properties of Melissa officinalis (MO) from Turkey on breast cancer.

RESULTS:
MO showed cytotoxicity against three cancer cell lines, inducing increase in Annexin-positive cells. Expression of caspase-7 protein and TUNEL positive cells were much higher in rats treated by MO, compared with the untreated control group, while expression of Ki-67 was decreased. Furthermore, in vivo studies showed that mean tumor volume inhibition ratio in MO treated group was 40% compared with the untreated rats.

CONCLUSION:
These results indicated that MO extrcts have antitumoral potential against breast cancer.

people have used lemon balm in teas and other products for centuries. can buy lemon balm seeds from most vegetable seed companies. its related to mint and tastes like lemon. why not add it to your anti-cancer diet/bath/topical oil?

or maybe anti-HIV cocktail?

Aqueous extracts from peppermint, sage and lemon balm leaves display potent anti-HIV-1 activity by increasing the virion density

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2288616/

or maybe you have some herpes and you want to get rid of it?

18.3.6. Herpes Simplex

Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) is a lemon-scented member of the mint family. An essential oil can be steam-distilled from the cut leaves. Topical uses include treatment of herpes simplex and minor wounds. In a randomized, double-blind trial of 116 patients with herpes simplex lesions, 96% reported complete clearing of lesions at day 8 after using 1% balm extract cream five times a day (Wobling and Leonhardt 1994). In another trial where balm extract was placed on lesions within 72 hours of the onset of symptoms, the size of the lesions and healing time were found to be statistically better in the group treated with balm (Brown and Dattner 1998). Tannin and polyphenols appear to be responsible for the antiviral effect of the balm (Peirce, Fargis, and Scordato 1999). Balm is included in Class 1, and is very safe to use both topically and orally (McGuffin et al. 1997; Peirce, Fargis, and Scordato 1999).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92761/

Edited by t-pain

i Wood:  i think gm was serious.  Studies in Israel found that rats eating mj buds off the plant at the rate of 1 bud per day had 35% fewer strokes than rats who were fed a placebo.

also, in Israel, rats fed pomegranate juice every day vs a control group fed a placebo had decreases in blood pressure and plaque was cleared from the arteries of the rats drinking pomegranate juice.  synopsis:  pomegranate juice is drano for rat arteries...

i think gm was asking if feeding lemon balm might be beneficial?

i hate pomegranate juice's taste, and buds can be too full of flavor and leave an after-taste, but just maybe they will help prevent me from having a 3rd stroke.

what might lemon balm do for better health?  

Edited by pic book