Update On Marijuana Legislation In Michigan

FLINT- Several interviews on a recent episode of The Planet Green Trees radio show provided updates on the progress of legislation pending in Michigan that could alter or reform marijuana laws.

The show features political dialog and legal updates on cases involving Michigan’s medical marijuana patients and caregivers. Hosted by attorney Michael Komorn, the on-air staff featured TCC editor Rick Thompson; managing partner at 3rd Coast Compassion Center, Jamie Lowell; and leader of the Birmingham Compassion Club, Chad. Chad and Komorn are principals in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association; Lowell and Thompson are board members of the Michigan chapter of Americans for Safe Access.

Among the on-air guests during the May 15 program was Representative Jeff Irwin, a democrat from Ann Arbor. Irwin has sponsored several bills during the House’s 2013-2014 legislative session that involve marijuana laws, including bills addressing forfeiture law reform and marijuana decriminalization.

HB 4623, the bill outlining decriminalization of marijuana, was introduced “a little over a year ago,” Rep. Irwin said, and has since been held in the House Judiciary Committee. The Chairman has been approached about advancing the bill but “has not said yes and has not said no,” Rep. Irwin revealed, but noted that he did not view the bill’s future with a sense of optimism. Ditto for Rep. Irwin’s forfeiture reform act, which he said has a probability of passing that is “probably extremely low.”

Rep. Irwin was also present during a series of hearings regarding a trio of bills aired in that same Judiciary Committee which proposed a roadside test to detect the presence of marijuana or other drugs in automobile drivers. Testimony from marijuana rights supporters over three hearings put that bills’ drug testing provisions in park, eliminating the saliva testing program- for now.

Significant effort was spent by cannabis rights advocates during 2013 to advance two pro-marijuana bills: HB 4271, The Provisioning Centers Act, and HB 5104, often referred to as The Concentrates Bill. After fighting and compromising their way through the Michigan House, the two bills have had a single hearing in the Senate Government Operations Committee and seem to have stalled. Legislative Chairwoman for the National Patients Rights Association, Robin Schneider, was also featured on the PGT broadcast.

The NPRA has led the charge to support the passage of HB 4271. “We are hoping to get another hearing before the legislative break,” Schneider told PGT, referring to the dismissal date for the summer session on June 11. Schneider reported that the concerns expressed by the Michigan State Police seem to have been satisfied, and even after the May 15 hearing on the saliva testing bills “we worked with the local health departments that had some concerns about some language in the bill.” The result: “I think we’ve got them in a place of neutrality,” and their concerns can be resolved “with just a quick amendment.”

Speaking about the package containing both HB 4271 and HB 5104, Schneider said, “The groups that have raised concerns, we’ve worked through the issues they had and the bills are pretty much intact and solid at this point.” Action on these bills is pending a decision by Senate Government Operations Committee Chairman Sen. Randy Richardville, D- Monroe.

Two bills authorizing an industrial hemp research program in Michigan passed the House Agriculture committee last week and are headed to the full House for a floor vote. HB 5439 and HB 5440 were unanimously approved by Committee members; the bills would create a definition of industrial hemp that differentiates it from marijuana and establish a University-based research program in Michigan. Activist Steven Sharpediscussed the advancing bills on the same episode of Planet Green Trees.

Rep. Irwin summed up the frustrations felt by all marijuana law reform advocates that work in Lansing trying to change the minds of party and caucus leaders. “They need to believe that taking a small step on this issue is not going to be harmful to them.” Rep Irwin pointed out that, ” I certainly believe that to be true, the polling data seems to suggests that that is true, but I don’t think they are quite convinced yet that this is something they want to do even though it has broad public support and would certainly pass in the Chamber if the votes were put up on the board.”

http://thecompassionchronicles.com/2014/05/19/update-on-marijuana-legislation-in-michigan/

Senate Government Operations Committee Chairman Sen. Randy Richardville, D- Monroe.

reporters who flower up the R and D tinkle me off to no end. rick thompson should know better.

Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville (R-Monroe)

bob, maybe you'd be so kind as to mail mr thompson about the typo? :)

Edited by t-pain

From an outsider, it appears to me that if they fast tracked a prescription/pharmacy/reclassification bill, which I thought went through, then why would they pass a local rule for growing/diapensing? Bets by those in power are on fed reclassification, right? And that mandates a much more controlled & processed model, with limited growing rights to a select few commercial growers, and no disoensaries. Talking marinol & sativex like processed meds.

If thats what they want, and stalling has worked in the past, and status quo law enforcement is still working (asset forfeitures & minimum occupancy quotas for jails), why would they advance anything that detracts?

why would they advance anything that detracts?

the pharma bill and 4271 were both lobbied with outside money.

legislators like money, why wouldnt they pass it?

4271 passed the house, Yeas 95 Nays 14.

it has bipartisan support. LEO is against it, but they are against pro-marijuana bills by default.

Didn't know 4271 was outside money, except maybe that some of the current dispensaries are backed with such. It reads more of a local rule & likely backed by many people involved w mmj, though haven't read anything recently on it. If I recall properly (I'll take a look at the draft again later today), its a good thing for establishing a safe channel for patients to access meds. But, it doesnt have many entrance barriers, so many different people can get in the game.

My thoughts on the resched bill (guess its law now) is one that has very high entrance barriers, very exclusive to those w big dollars, regulatory connections & large commercial intentions. It would be highly regulated by the fda, and it won't be dry flower products. It would have to be highly processed, even purified/sterilized. After all, are talking about a prescription drug at sched 2.

How ever much money the 4271 people have, pharma has more. And I would think that isnt lost on whoever fast tracked the resched bill. Id even go so far as to expect arrangements on future profits have been discussed.

Maybe I am just jaded, but letting the little guy in on the game seems like a losing bet. The already rich recognize mj as the next emerging market, so what else coyld one expect but for them to leverage their power to beget more.

He missed a couple bills too. Like SB 783.

Several weeks ago now I contacted Jeff Irwin's office with my concerns regarding that bill in terms of disability law, pointing up detailed Pertinent parts of the Michigan Person's With Disabilities Act. With luck the House will see the writing on the wall and the bill will die in committee. If not I am  locked, cocked, and ready to rock.

Edited by GregS

Well, Disability act won't necessarily cover the issue, or at least all the issues.  The terms "Undue burden" and "reasonable accomodations" would be of import.  Also,... it covers the disability mostly,... not the treatment thereof, for the most part.

But yea... still hoping the bill dies...

Well, Disability act won't necessarily cover the issue, or at least all the issues.  The terms "Undue burden" and "reasonable accomodations" would be of import.  Also,... it covers the disability mostly,... not the treatment thereof, for the most part.

But yea... still hoping the bill dies...

There will almost certainly be hair splitting over those terms if the topic comes up. I can't agree though, Mal, that legitimate medical treatment can be disallowed by a landlord under disability law. To do that would absolutely discriminate.