13"x17" Shed Lighting Question

35k of ac used window units cost me $425 last summer off craigslist.  i bot a used sears 20k btu for $250 and another 15k used sears for $175.  the 20k was 26 1/2 inches wide and i had to cut my window opening from 22" to 27".  both are running again this summer.  window units bot used are the cheapest source of btu's, way cheaper than central or chillers.  window units are HEAVY lifts---that is the only disadvantage i know about them---it took 3 of us to place the 20k btu in the widened opening (of course, they are not as efficient as chillers or central---i think the bill was $40 more a month for window units than it wud have been for chillers or central, but it was way easier to pay the extra $40 operating cost than the $1500 capital cost for central or chillers!).

Edited by pic book

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to the concept of not fixing what ain't broken. Vert was a much more difficult learning curve, despite my good results, I would not do it again.

With dehumidifiers always remember BIGGER DEHEUYS ARE MORE EFFICIENT THAN SMALLER ONES.

So get the biggest you can handle from a wattage/initial cost standpoint and you won't be disappointed.

Pergamum: RE vert vs horz and space consideration

I have seen vertical in a smaller space than 13'x17', it's not a problem, 10x10 rooms with 5K and trees are done all the time... I do multiple 4x6 and 4x4 VSCROGS, it's not a problem. My whole space is 10x20 and it's packed with so much plant material there isn't even room for a person in there. The training is different than horz, and harder to wrap the mind around, but not more difficult once you get used to it - which admittedly takes a while.

Pic book: On A/C's, I respectfully disagree

Window units are much less efficient and much more costly to run. They will drive up electricity costs like you wouldn't believe. But anyway the OP has a split unit already so he's good to go.

Dro-man

I have 18000 btu's to cool 4200W barebulb, it does a nice job, certainly it doesn't work very hard. I am subterranean, and I'm not sure how much further I could push it especially if I was above grade. That may have cooled a mobile home or something, but 1.5 ton (18000 btu) is not all that big. It's pretty easy to setup, a day or two at most, so just running it and seeing is a good plan

Perg362 said:  Vertical does no good unless the plants surround the bulb...

pic says:

Of course, max SOG yields require reflectors.  But for every thing else, vertical is more efficient. 

Vertical HIDs (close enuf that a cyclone of air is required to dissipate heat, prevent bleaching and burning) produces more gpw than anything but SOG.

The only reason not to SOG (and consequently, use reflectors), is plant count, because no form of growing exceeds it's gpw of 2.6...but with vert, 2.1 is achievable.

And with SOG, HIDS are overkill.   LEDs are all the light necessary for the 2.6 gpw on SOG plantlets 12" tall at finish.

(sidebar:  this is just one more example that our law is not meant to produce meds at reasonable cost, but rather, with lotsa state control of what's produced).

Edited by pic book