Making Rick Simpson Oil,

Hi Welcome to the site!

extracts are ilegal in MI!

but if you realy want to know ask rick simpson.  google him!

Peace

edit= if you have to ask that you have no biz trying to make it!

Edited by phaquetoo

Purified lab/food grade N-butane made in a commercial recovery/purge rig with standard laboratory procedures in place is arguably the "best" RSO. N-butane having the best polarity to extract the goods from MJ. Doing it right will not involve unpure lighter fluid with mercapans being blasted through PVC tubes underneath the lit ciggy in your mouth :-).

I kid, a bit. Good luck with the ISO - maybe the best option for the patient looking to make their own. For personal use and kept out of vehicles I can't see anyone actually getting into legal problems with this stuff. I'm not sure that's ever actually happened? 

Seriously how is it illegal to make it but not buy it. I've been buying it and it's cheaper to make on my own.

According to the Court of Appeals it is illegal to posses any extracts, they say that they are not covered by the law.

To answer your question, yes ISO is safe. I've used it many times since 1975 with no ill effects. My personal preference is Everclear primarily because if I don't care to reduce it to oil it is an edible tincture.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol. Sometimes I will then winterize with 190 proof or higher grain alcohol.

I agree with Zap. It is far safer to make it yourself. When you believe your iso oil is fully purged when making RSO, just to be sure it is done. Take the purge pan off of the cup warmer, cover it with a clean coffee filter to keep dust out and let it sit for up to a week in a cool, dry, dark area. With a little ventilation, it will be 100% purged and for sure safe to ingest, smoke, or vaped.

If you are still concerned, simply winterize it with 190 proof or higher grain alcohol.

Here is how I make oil. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-1098-rso-qwiso-concentrates-by-grow-goddess/

All I do now is ingest and vape my oil. No more combustion for this girl!

while the michigan court of appeals has said extracts are illegal, i fully believe that the mich supreme court will overturn that ruling.

i could be wrong.

I recommend use of food grade alcohol and nothing else for beginners (because the solvent is already food grade, it is good for beginners who are learning the method… that way, IF any solvent is left behind due to inexperience, it is still safe to consume.)

http://kiefair.com/2013/05/24/a-few-words-on-the-properties-of-isopropyl-alcohol/

seems like good advice to me.

I fail to see how that hashish, either bubble or sift, is any less effective than chemically extracted oil. It is infinitely more safe to make. There are no explosive vapors to make you hairless and there is no reason to worry about getting all the solvent out. 

Anyone have any facts that indicate one way or another if this is accurate?

Edited by GregS

"safe" and "best"=

safest technique is the dry sift, safest use is the dry sift.

alcohol proves to be a safe technique when common sense is applied

best= the most pure end product

both are super effective. sift will contain the whole waxy trichome heads, iso/grain technique will also dissolve most of the waxy trichomes

after winterizing the wax is removed for purity. This end product would be the most pure=most effective.

I only notice the awesome flavor of the waxy trichomes in a dry sift.

dry sift is cheaper, safer, and best for those with no chemical extraction experience= best, most effective, and safest extraction, and legal, just like sifting herbal bud through a fine screen before consuming.

be safe, effective, and enjoy!

I fail to see how that hashish, either bubble or sift, is any less effective than chemically extracted oil.

It depends on what you want to extract.

Dry sift or bubble hash separates the trichomes from the leaf matter.

What is now referred to as Simpson oil extracts other substances from the leaf in addition to the trichomes. There are some who feel that these other constituents may have a synergistic effect along with the THC and CBD. They may also have medical properties of their own which have not as yet been established.

In traditional herbal medicine the whole herb is generally preferred over extracts.

Western medicine believes that every medicine has a single function and each compound should be isolated. Herbs contain a complex blend of phytochemicals that can interact with several areas of the body simultaneously.

My advice would be to use dry sift or quick wash methods for pain relief or for those who only want to get high. If you're looking for full medicinal value then do a full extraction like they did when Parke-Davis made medicinal tinctures.

ParkeDavisB.jpg

Best of both worlds.  Make kief  and use oil as a binder.  Or make kief and use that to make an extract.  You'll only need to do the extract in a small container as you wouldn't be boiling off much alcohol as you'd only need a shot or 2 of alcohol..

Best of both worlds.  Make kief  and use oil as a binder.  Or make kief and use that to make an extract.  You'll only need to do the extract in a small container as you wouldn't be boiling off much alcohol as you'd only need a shot or 2 of alcohol..

I wonder about that because by one estimate at 240F it takes some 60 minutes to decarboxylate most of the cannabinoids so it still takes enough alcohol to go that long. But I think that is a great idea because the main problem with alcohol extraction seems to be the "gack" or high concentration of chlorophyll extracted by the polar molecules. Using kief would bypass most of the chlorophyll. Not saying chlorophyll is a bad thing but it can be upsetting to the stomach and some patients may not be able to tolerate it. I would think everclear would be superior to isopropyl for this method since there are no additives in everclear.

Only in rubbing alcohol made with ethanol, to prevent drinking. See t-pain's link above for details.

Sounds like iso is bad enough without the denatonium:

Isopropyl alcohol, also called isopropanol, poses many risks to human beings. Inhaled fumes can cause respiratory tract irritation at low concentrations. At higher concentrations, the fumes can affect you like a narcotic, causing drowsiness, dizziness, loss of balance, headache, unconsciousness and even death. Ingestion of isopropanol can cause unconsciousness and death as well.

The approximate lethal dose of 90 to 100 percent isopropanol for human adults is only 250 millilters or about 8 ounces. While not fatal, ingesting smaller amounts can cause gastrointestinal problems, including cramps, pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Additionally, isopropanol vapors can irritate the eyes and splashes to the eyes can even burn your corneas.

if boiling alcohol is comfortable for you, good luck with it.

if vacuum extracting butane out of oil is comfortable for you, good luck.

if making a cold extraction of marijuana with ice and some special bags is easy, do it.

can always try each way and see what works.

dont follow rick simpson, tommy chong, bill schuette, george bush, barack obama.

you should do what is comfortable for you.

Do not mess with butane unless you have procedures for safety . People have blown up houses. If you use food grade alcohol NO SPARKS and lots of ventilation. You can also extract with olive oil /coconut oil but it will be less concentrated so you would need to ingest more to get a similar effect. Good luck.

gregs I realy think there is no comparison to bubble  or sift hash to oil, Ive made them all, although I dont understand how bubble hash can be ilegal all you make it with is ice and product, no way for explosion, but it has no where the bite the oil has,

I dont recomend any one to make it at home with any thing explosive on their first or second time, I would hate to read about another explosion from amatures or some one who thinks 55 gallon drums of butane is safe in there attached garage!

as far as getting oil from a dispense, I know nothing about that, I have never purchase or seen it in one, and now I dont even know where any are, If I was a newbie I would go out of my way to find a despense to get my oil,

I have been making it since the 70's I will never do it in front of some one, all it takes is the smallest of a spark and BOOM!  I make bho and have been since I started, it is the fastest and most dangerious way to make it, and I take so many precautions before I ever make it, I dont like being surprised by family or friends or any one!

Oh greg one more thing it isnt only your hair you need worry about, where ever you chose to do it may burn down and you may die or burn your body up so you never forget the mistake you make!

best of luck!

Peace

everclear has more water added than 99% iso !   Its the water that extracts the water soluble constituents, mostly undesired by users of concentrate.

what the Phaq? you know where they sell 55 gallon drums of Ntane ???? LMAO !!   I've never seen drums of butane, that would be dangerous for sure.

Separating the trichomes is separating the trichomes,  either by chilling them and mechanically breaking the trich stalk, then sifting through the appropriate screen, or, same thing, a quick shake through the appropriate screen. same unbroken trichomes result. water, size of micron screen, original quality of flowers, time exposed to water, time shaken....that's what makes the difference between the two.

propane is just as dangerous as butane, and many people leave those tanks right on their porch all year, or by the fire pit, and they stack them at the gas stations on every corner. don't fear the gas, only the donkey

I cant quote on this stupid new laptop!

grass, no I have no idea where to get a 55 gal drum of butane but apparantly some one either saved it into one or had one and blew up there garage and burned their children, it was all over the news! yes I know the news sucks for acuracy but when  they showed the house and attached garage damage it most def was not from a few cases of butane!

Peace

edit= man dude who the phaq is using propane to make oil? lmao, yea I have 2 30 gallon  ones on my camper and a 500 lb er in the yard, the tanks are way safer than a bottle of butane dont ya think, would you fill your lighter up next to a bomb fire with butane?  silly fella!

Edited by phaquetoo