Mystery Hydro Problem Ii (Pics)

rustyjams

I've got 8 plants going in DWC. 7 are Nordic Jack and 1 Critical Super Silver Haze. All look good except for the Critical haze. Can anyone diagnose this for me? I want to say root rot but the roots look great. I've been using Hygrozyme from the beginning with my 3 part Jungle Juice along with Humbolts Ginormous bud booster. Water temp is a steady 69 degrees with plenty of air and about 1300ppm. Any ideas what could be wrong? The leaves in the top of the plant are turning yellow with leaf curl. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-34379-0-62780700-1401457990_thumb.jpg

post-34379-0-46203500-1401458034_thumb.jpg

post-34379-0-00235700-1401458094_thumb.jpg

Ya Pain, ph is at a steady 5.8 and have ton of air bubbling away. Now the ppm is questionable, I guess it depends on who you talk to. I've been told 1300ppm if fine(I thought it was a little much) but I've heard of guys going up to 1500ppm with no preoblems. The first thing I did this morning was lower ppm to 1000 until I got some answers.

how far along in flower are they?

1300 seems pretty high, higher than I ever ran even at peak of flower. I'd cut your 1300 to half of that and relax. that haze will take a bit longer to finish, with plenty of time to drive the nutes, if that's your thing.  I tried two different things in hydro, one was to follow the directions in the feeding schedule on the bottle with no issues, then I tried cutting the whole ppm in half, and still had no issues for thought.

I think your plants look super, other than the slight setback

nice job!

You have defeciencys...plural. Jungle juice is "organic" correct? Those plants look like chit. Organic is not meant for dwc. Do you check the ph more than just when you mix? They look really early for 1300 ppm, probably around 2-3rd week flowering yes? Thats probably to high that early. Not being a d ick but there stunted. Give him some solid advice. Cut your nutes back, switch your res, make sure roots Are white and ph is stable day to day with what your using, preferable swich your medium or nutes and prune a little bit my young padewon.

Ya Pain, ph is at a steady 5.8 and have ton of air bubbling away. Now the ppm is questionable, I guess it depends on who you talk to. I've been told 1300ppm if fine(I thought it was a little much) but I've heard of guys going up to 1500ppm with no preoblems. The first thing I did this morning was lower ppm to 1000 until I got some answers.

Like Heath R, I keep ec under 1 and ppm under 1000.  Sure, some run 2200 ppm...and stress most every strain.

you are running the nutes too strong, for starters.  in bloom, you don't want that dark deep almost blue shade of green that I see on the lower leaves. you'll never get that taste flushed out in time.

now for the yellowing and leaf curl, it looks like pH and probably sulfur deficiency

your in the home stretch, consider switching your nutes to something stable, like dyna-grow or fox farms and run around 800ppm

I run gh nutes! I dont follow their recipee mix it is way to strong, I always use like half dose and if my plants are lacking they will tell me, I always wind up bumping up a few of the nutes when they are well along in budd and look like they could use more,,,

The nute companys would love us all to use full doses of alll of the nutes so they can sell more nutes,

Just something to think about!

im doing the kiss method next and will most likly only do it that way for ever,,thanks to a few on here for sharing that method it is just what I need,,,,keep it simple stupid! lol I love the name too!

Peace

The 3 part jungle juice is fine. All it is is a GH clone (copy) but better quality control. No idea about the ginormous bud booster. With everything I'm seeing the advice to cut the nutrients down to half is good, I would also scrap the bud booster. Add it in later if you must. I don't know this product, but I can tell you it is either skewing your nutrient profile unnecessarily (making an unknown nutrient soup) or worse it's got some PGRs in there.

I absolutely abhor the KISS/Lucas Nutrient system. I did a test run on 1 Grand Daddy Purple plant, and even though it grew just fine, it was easily the worst craaap in terms of finished quality I have ever produced hands down. Should be called the no-taste system. I'm telling you that lucas and similar formulas for cannabis may be single-handedly responsible for the reason why so many people think hydro tastes like garbage.

The MJ nutrient companies are giving you a false choice between something that works well, and something that is simple. Plus they are charging you literally 1600%+ markups above and beyond common industry standard formulations. Just because it's marketed to pot growers, does not mean it should be 16X more expensive.

Reality time - a good three part nutrient is all the MJ grower would ever need. I am happy to share my simple and low cost recipes with anyone that will listen. It involves primarily calcium nitrate (jacks or peters), a 5-12-26 hydroponic mix, AGSIL16H (silica), and a couple of additional salts to skew the nutrient profile for cannabis specifically. Everything together cost me maybe $200, and is good for running a full op for years on end. With this combination of 4-5 salts, I can reproduce practically any nutrient profile you could want including the jungle juice 3 part system and anything else for that matter.

More importantly, a little bit of knowledge of nutrient profiles, deficiencies, and excess is free and will serve you extremely well in your hydroponics hobby.

When you measure PPM make sure you subtract what your plain water is so we all can be on the same page with advice. If your water is 300 PPM right out of the tap then a 1000 PPM is really 700 PPM of nutes.

I have found that the desired PPM is different with different strains. Some are big eaters and some are not.

I grew 20 GrandDaddyPurps in the exact same manner as every other plant in the garden, once in hydro, then 6 in organic soil/food

the 6 in soil sucked in much the same way, but besides good looks and weight, the 20 in hydro sucked even more. None were accepted by any patient I had.

I suspected that so I gifted everyone some first. what a piece of chit!  I really really wanted to like this one too, and suspect it sucked because of the soaring cbd's, maybe good for some kinds of symptoms, but not mine for sure.

next up, some patients that swear by the GDP plant and its effects.....its crazy and I don't need to know why!

Reduced the nutes and not just the sickly one but all of them. They have perked up bigtime. It might be kinda late for the one I cooked but she seems to be doing better. I'll take post pics of the sick one when the lights are on. Looks like hell but still growing so I'll just see what she does. 

You have defeciencys...plural. Jungle juice is "organic" correct? Those plants look like chit. Organic is not meant for dwc. Do you check the ph more than just when you mix? They look really early for 1300 ppm, probably around 2-3rd week flowering yes? Thats probably to high that early. Not being a d ick but there stunted. Give him some solid advice. Cut your nutes back, switch your res, make sure roots Are white and ph is stable day to day with what your using, preferable swich your medium or nutes and prune a little bit my young padewon.

Gonna be 3 weeks in a few days. This will be my second grow with the Jungle Juice. Had a few problems the first time(operator error) but harvested 8 Mason jars of some dank off 4 plants so I didn't do that bad for just experimenting. I am switching nutes though after this go around, had already decided that long before this problem. I'm going with Sensi Grow's 2 part ph perfect. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I run gh nutes! I dont follow their recipee mix it is way to strong, I always use like half dose and if my plants are lacking they will tell me, I always wind up bumping up a few of the nutes when they are well along in budd and look like they could use more,,,

The nute companys would love us all to use full doses of alll of the nutes so they can sell more nutes,

Just something to think about!

im doing the kiss method next and will most likly only do it that way for ever,,thanks to a few on here for sharing that method it is just what I need,,,,keep it simple stupid! lol I love the name too!

Peace

Tell me about it. If I was to mix according to the directions my ppm would be about 2000. No kidding.

When you measure PPM make sure you subtract what your plain water is so we all can be on the same page with advice. If your water is 300 PPM right out of the tap then a 1000 PPM is really 700 PPM of nutes.
I have found that the desired PPM is different with different strains. Some are big eaters and some are not.

Sound advice but I run RO water that is 0-5ppm so it's very pure.

The 3 part jungle juice is fine. All it is is a GH clone (copy) but better quality control. No idea about the ginormous bud booster. With everything I'm seeing the advice to cut the nutrients down to half is good, I would also scrap the bud booster. Add it in later if you must. I don't know this product, but I can tell you it is either skewing your nutrient profile unnecessarily (making an unknown nutrient soup) or worse it's got some PGRs in there.

I absolutely abhor the KISS/Lucas Nutrient system. I did a test run on 1 Grand Daddy Purple plant, and even though it grew just fine, it was easily the worst craaap in terms of finished quality I have ever produced hands down. Should be called the no-taste system. I'm telling you that lucas and similar formulas for cannabis may be single-handedly responsible for the reason why so many people think hydro tastes like garbage.

The MJ nutrient companies are giving you a false choice between something that works well, and something that is simple. Plus they are charging you literally 1600%+ markups above and beyond common industry standard formulations. Just because it's marketed to pot growers, does not mean it should be 16X more expensive.

Reality time - a good three part nutrient is all the MJ grower would ever need. I am happy to share my simple and low cost recipes with anyone that will listen. It involves primarily calcium nitrate (jacks or peters), a 5-12-26 hydroponic mix, AGSIL16H (silica), and a couple of additional salts to skew the nutrient profile for cannabis specifically. Everything together cost me maybe $200, and is good for running a full op for years on end. With this combination of 4-5 salts, I can reproduce practically any nutrient profile you could want including the jungle juice 3 part system and anything else for that matter.

More importantly, a little bit of knowledge of nutrient profiles, deficiencies, and excess is free and will serve you extremely well in your hydroponics hobby.

Thanks, and the bud booster(Ginormous) is gone. I'm doing away with it. The bottle says it's great for the roots. It might be, But I'm using Hygrozyme(and have been from the start) which has the roots going crazy. Anymore root ball and they will start overflowing from the pail-LOL. Kinda pricey but LOVE the stuff!!

Bring up the ph a bit (6.2-6.5) and bring down the nutes to like 600 ppm when they look better gradually raise the ppm. I have found between 600-700 for summer and 700-800 for winter.

Good luck,

wildman

This is extremely bad advice.

If anything, the pH is at the limit of being too high.  5.2-5.8 in hydroponics. 

Here are a few pix of the same plant in the OP. This thing is a beast considering it looks dead-LOL. All of the fan leaves on the stalk have fallen off and many other fan leaves turned yellow and fell as well. But near the bud sites they are just as green and healthy as can be. Every morning I go down to do my daily checks and the buds seem to get bigger and bigger and......Still not 100% on why this happened in the first place(possible OD on nutes) but heck, i guess I can't really complain if it still wants to grow like mad.

It's about 4 1/2 weeks in the pix +/- a few days

post-34379-0-35035400-1402517940_thumb.jpg

post-34379-0-11582600-1402517951_thumb.jpg

save your money, cull the crap, and replant new.  Plants fugged up in the middle of flower do not ever express correctly, except that one time you'll hear about soon....

might be smokeable by a newbie, but it wont be right.

you can take some clones of the sick plant first, if you need a record, maybe they will get well.

I grew 20 GrandDaddyPurps in the exact same manner as every other plant in the garden, once in hydro, then 6 in organic soil/food

the 6 in soil sucked in much the same way, but besides good looks and weight, the 20 in hydro sucked even more. None were accepted by any patient I had.

I suspected that so I gifted everyone some first. what a piece of chit!  I really really wanted to like this one too, and suspect it sucked because of the soaring cbd's, maybe good for some kinds of symptoms, but not mine for sure.

next up, some patients that swear by the GDP plant and its effects.....its crazy and I don't need to know why!

One of the many things dysfunctional about our industry is how we evaluate strains. Personally, I won't comment on a particular strain at all but a strain/breeder combination, that start with a good reputation, and put them to wide-scale tests in my own garden. I prefer 6+ female phenotypes, pick the best, and then I can eval the strain/breeder combo somewhat more clearly despite the huge differences in seed batches.

Let me give an example. I planted 10X deadhead og regulars a cali-connect strain. I got 3 females and all three sucked hard in completely different ways. There was no uniformity, one was bland, another one had early-onset ballsax, and the third just wasn't good enough to keep around.

Now there is ONE deadhead og phenotype, and probably many more given the variability of the 3 females I did get, that I know is amazing cuz I've had it. I don't bring in outside clones so that leaves me with a few options. I could try another pack from cali connect to see if I get the "right" phenotype or close to it but, I decided I'd go with OGXCHEM (same heritage as deadhead og) by connosueir genetics. The move to OGC from deadhead og, despite having the "same" parents is yielding a much different and much better result. The OGC seeds are uniform and are exactly what I was looking for from the deadhead og, a strong, funky, unique, and good yielding OG.

GDP started as clone only (like so many others), and I got "some cut" by "some dispensary" when I first started. But I can say that this particular cut was extremely popular with my patients and is still remembered fondly. GDP is a top strain on HT lists, user lists, leafly, and many other places -perhaps in part just because it's hard to screw up.

Because GDP was such a popular strain, there were many "fakes" or at least rumors of fakes and now the plant is available in seed form. So... what you may have missed... is either the "real" thing, or perhaps, the "fake" that was actually better than the "original" that I had from a genetics standpoint. Or just a shiznat phenotype that could still be called the real thing. Since GDP is still special to me after working with 20+ strains, as a great all-rounder (decent yield, easy to grow, quality taste, moderate-heavy indica effects), I can say with some confidence that you would see what I see if you had a chance to grow what I had. 

Is there anything, when talking about genetics, that does not require "quotations"? :drinking-coffee:

You don't mind if I ask:

"But I'm using Hygrozyme(and have been from the start) which has the roots going crazy"

Forgive me for asking but how do you know that the hygrozyme is having a positive effect on your root growth? Did you try one bucket with the hydrozyme and one without? I say this specifically because hygrozyme (or w/e it's called) is extremely unpopular in the DWC community. It has earned the nickname "I grow slime" :kfu:

I'd ditch that product as well. Now, in DWC, you are right to be concerned about root health. It's very easy for pyth (root rot) to take over a DWC garden in a heartbeat and for no apparent reason - even if water temperature is kept in check. I know of only two solutions to this problem, 1 - ozone filters and 2 - Earthworm castings (EWC) tea. Chlorine, chloromine,  dutch masters zone, hygroslime, none of that makes any difference to the biggest threat to DWC. I know, because after 2X years of running strong in an recirculating aero cloner, I was completely blown out by pyth for no apparent reason. No amount of cleaning equipment made any difference.

I strongly recommend, whether you keep this batch of flowers or start another one, that you look into brewing your own earthworm castings (EWC) tea. It's cheap, and and if you grow long enough in DWC WILL save your whole crop. Use weekly as a preventative measure, and change the water out at the same time. Other than that just basic nute maintainence like <1000PPM at full swing and taper down for a nice flush, maintaining correctish water temp, correct water pH, and cleaning in between rounds, and DWC is a viable system. Still not my fav because it's labor intense.

save your money, cull the crap, and replant new.  Plants fugged up in the middle of flower do not ever express correctly, except that one time you'll hear about soon....

you can take some clones of the sick plant first, if you need a record, maybe they will get well.

Just remember - the OP may not have a garden full of awesome plants to fall back on, he might just want SOMETHING in 3.5-5 weeks for his efforts. One issue with keeping sick plants is that bugs are strongly attracted to sick plants. SO by keeping your sick plants, you are endangering the non-sick plants and the entire grow operation as a whole.

I've seen it with my own eyes, knock down a plants natural defenses and no amount of cleanliness or sealant will keep you truly safe. On the flip, healthy plants will withstand and repel just about everything.

Scrap a plant that is growing like crazy? Nah, I'll wait it out till it stops growing and then pull it.

Just remember - the OP may not have a garden full of awesome plants to fall back on, he might just want SOMETHING in 3.5-5 weeks for his efforts. One issue with keeping sick plants is that bugs are strongly attracted to sick plants. SO by keeping your sick plants, you are endangering the non-sick plants and the entire grow operation as a whole.

I've seen it with my own eyes, knock down a plants natural defenses and no amount of cleanliness or sealant will keep you truly safe. On the flip, healthy plants will withstand and repel just about everything.

Word !

You don't mind if I ask:

"But I'm using Hygrozyme(and have been from the start) which has the roots going crazy"

Forgive me for asking but how do you know that the hygrozyme is having a positive effect on your root growth? Did you try one bucket with the hydrozyme and one without? I say this specifically because hygrozyme (or w/e it's called) is extremely unpopular in the DWC community. It has earned the nickname "I grow slime" :kfu:

I'm just comparing my first grow without hygrozyme and this grow. My roots were not this massive and healthy the first time. Not even close compared to when I started using the product.