Feds Prosecute Medical Marijuana Patients While Tolerating Commercial Cannabis—All In The Same City

bobandtorey

Sean Green grows marijuana at 1919 East Francis Avenue in Spokane, about six miles from the courthouse where the federal government plans to

try Larry Harvey, a 70-year-old retired truck driver, for growing marijuana. Green’s operation is a lot bigger than Harvey’s: up to 21,000 square

feet of plant canopy, compared to the 45 plants that the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) found on Harvey’s property  in a rural area of

northeastern Washington about 10 miles from Kettle Falls. The difference in scale makes sense, because Green is growing pot for Washington’s

newly legal recreational market, while Harvey and four other medical marijuana users were growing it for their own consumption. Both kinds of

cultivation are allowed under Washington law, and both are prohibited under federal law. Yet Green’s future as acannabis entrepreneur looks

bright, while Harvey and his co-defendants face prison sentences ranging from 10 years to life.

Read more here

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2014/05/15/feds-prosecute-medical-marijuana-patients-while-tolerating-commercial-cannabisall-in-the-same-city/

this story made me sick when I first saw it, and again now. thanks for the update man..... :sick: 

“If a trial is a search for the truth,” says Hiatt, “this is a very perverted form of trial. We are telling the jury they can’t consider the truth. Justice is not possible without truth.”

Assuming the jurors figure out why the defendants were growing pot (which is entirely possible in a state that has allowed cultivation and possession of marijuana for medical use since 1998), will they have the guts to ignore the judge’s admonition that they must follow the law exactly as he explains it to them? “There’s a lot of pressure on the jury not to do that,” says Hiatt. “He’s virtually telling them to convict.” Still, he says, “that’s the only hope they’ve got, that the people understand what’s going on and stand up for them.”

this story made me sick when I first saw it, and again now. thanks for the update man..... :sick:

“If a trial is a search for the truth,” says Hiatt, “this is a very perverted form of trial. We are telling the jury they can’t consider the truth. Justice is not possible without truth.”

Assuming the jurors figure out why the defendants were growing pot (which is entirely possible in a state that has allowed cultivation and possession of marijuana for medical use since 1998), will they have the guts to ignore the judge’s admonition that they must follow the law exactly as he explains it to them? “There’s a lot of pressure on the jury not to do that,” says Hiatt. “He’s virtually telling them to convict.” Still, he says, “that’s the only hope they’ve got, that the people understand what’s going on and stand up for them.”

Thanks for the reply

It just goes to show us all that the War on medical cannabis is alive and still running peoples lives

I still have to ponder throwing in the towel, working with my doc recommendation only. I understand it offers me no arrest protection but it seems we don't hear much about those protections being offered to card holders. like "I got pulled over, he saw my case in the trunk and my card, then let me go".

I still have to ponder throwing in the towel, working with my doc recommendation only. I understand it offers me no arrest protection but it seems we don't hear much about those protections being offered to card holders. like "I got pulled over, he saw my case in the trunk and my card, then let me go".

i have personally seen it work. 

twice...

i have also heard of it working many - many times.

having a valid card to serve as protection from arrest itself has such a value that i cannot emphasize enough how much i hope you reconsider.

no reason to argue with a judge....if you can successfully plead your case with LEO...

food for thought.

The problem is far wider than medical marijuana. The entire justice system is broken, a system of perverse incentives. It is better to have a card if something happens.

Right on. They have taken small problems like personal drug use and blown them all out of proportion. They have made too many criminals and now we are at the point where the legal system is unable to handle it. So,like the VA medical system, instead of fixing the system, they decide to finagle things to make it appear that everything is fine. Bonus for them: easy money keeps rolling in.

I wonder when the sheeple will figure this out. I think Elizabeth Warren gets it.

Right on. They have taken small problems like personal drug use and blown them all out of proportion. They have made too many criminals and now we are at the point where the legal system is unable to handle it. So,like the VA medical system, instead of fixing the system, they decide to finagle things to make it appear that everything is fine. Bonus for them: easy money keeps rolling in.

I wonder when the sheeple will figure this out. I think Elizabeth Warren gets it.

i just thought i should point out.. as a combat veteran...

and no offense to you in any way Amish...

in spite of recent news headlines from many states..

my own experience with the VA in Michigan has been beyond exceptional.

as far as i am concerned the VA in my hometown as well as the main facility in Saginaw has been, and continues to set the standards of what i assume health care should be.

Edited by mibrains

Unless you are absolutely certain you know the law and are completely compliant with section 4, I recommend immediately invoking your right to remain silent, and then doing so. Unfortunately, at that point, the officer is talking to you for a completely different reason than you are talking to him. If it doesn't work out, he will take you to jail, and take himself back to the office to write the story of how it happened, including what you said to him, or more likely what he thought it meant. Unless you are sure, it's best not to take the chance.

yep

for sure thats absolutely good advice..

thank you zap..

the knowledge to know when to be quiet and evoke your fifth amendment rights is so very crucial...

good call..

Thanks

I also see it as you do and it was right on is why I made the post

i just thought i should point out.. as a combat veteran...

and no offense to you in any way Amish...

in spite of recent news headlines from many states..

my own experience with the VA in Michigan has been beyond exceptional.

as far as i am concerned the VA in my hometown as well as the main facility in Saginaw has been, and continues to set the standards of what i assume health care should be.

Sounds like you are lucky for your area. I know a lot of veterans in my area that I have not heard good things about their health care.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/04/other-va-scandal-why-most-press-has-checked-out-story/

They are considering criminal charges. At least that is what I heard on Family Life Radio.