Radio Waves, Hid Ballasts.....

trichcycler

e061e619bf6bf2bf3c326f32acb56b48632e284d

did you know that the lamps used to grow marijuana indoors can interfere with radio waves?

As The Coloradoan reports, Boulder resident Tom Thompson recently discovered this peculiar reality when he set out to track down what was interrupting his ham radio — which he uses to communicate with friends across the country.

Thompson, a retired electrical engineer, crafted a portable antenna and began roaming the streets to see what made its signal cut out. Eventually he discovered the offenders: the growing collection of high-powered lamps that residents are using to grow the now-legal pot indoors. 

read more; https://www.yahoo.com/tech/pot-growing-lights-are-interfering-with-local-radio-87930355864.html

Yes, I am aware of that.

When my good camera broke, I had to switch to using my cell phone camera.

I can't take a picture of anything in my grow room while the grow lights are on. Get within 5 feet of the grow room, lines start going across the screen of the cell phone when in camera mode.

I did get a nice giggle from the article. I had no idea it could be that intense!!

Hopefully this is not used against us indoor growers.

I have Lumitec and Thunder electronic ballasts. I also have a radio wave transmitter that detects and transmits radio waves. Red lights flash when radio waves are detected. My electronic ballasts do not put out any radio waves and they do not interfere, in any way, with the transmission of radio waves. So all this about electronic ballasts interfering with radio waves is a myth. Our Dyson vacuum cleaner puts out more radio wave disturbance than my electronic ballasts. The Dyson will disturb all radio wave transmission when the beater bar comes on. Maybe a badly malfunctioning electronic ballast might cause some radio wave disturbances. Normally, they mind their own business.

Is it the lamps, electronic ballasts, or magnetic ballasts that is the culprit? The article implies electronic ballasts only. Good to see that the outcome was positive.

I have magnetic ballast that are mounted under the grow room. Obviously the lights are in the grow room.

Not sure if it is the lights, ballast, or the frequency between the two.

Only seems to affect the camera, not the phone itself. I don't have any static or interference when talking on the phone near the grow room.

Okay, couldn't wait. I went in and turned off all of the fans and left the lights on. Checked with my phone camera and same lines floating across the screen like looking through vertical shades. It only does it when the camera looks into the grow room with the door open. With the door closed there are no effects on the camera.

It seems to be coming more from the light bulb. The more I point the camera towards the lamps the more intense the lines are. When I point the camera towards the floor, it is less intense.

Interesting...

If I had a little more ambition, I would dig out my scanner and see if I can determine what frequency the interruption is coming from.

Check this out on frequencies. Pretty cool stuff!

could it be the light intensity rather than the electronic signature causing the interference on the cam?

Okay, couldn't wait. I went in and turned off all of the fans and left the lights on. Checked with my phone camera and same lines floating across the screen like looking through vertical shades. It only does it when the camera looks into the grow room with the door open. With the door closed there are no effects on the camera.

It seems to be coming more from the light bulb. The more I point the camera towards the lamps the more intense the lines are. When I point the camera towards the floor, it is less intense.

Interesting...

If I had a little more ambition, I would dig out my scanner and see if I can determine what frequency the interruption is coming from.

Check this out on frequencies. Pretty cool stuff!

It isn't radio waves that cause the lines; it is the cycling of the light waves that create an optical issue - not a radio wave problem.  The same problem exists when taking photos of a television.  This can be corrected using a faster shutter speed, which probably isn't an option with a phone camera or cheaper digital cameras.

The old electronic ballasts were well known for interference. The 1k's were the worst.  They eventually dampened the fields in the 4/600's and shortly after the 1k's were brought into reason.  Many people were busted due to that interference and neighbours complaints.  But, there is still an electrical field, just small enough to cause less interference or none in certain electronics.  I assume quality is the beacon of degree here.   There was known interference with those RFID chipped meter reader thingy's(real technical there,..lol) which would cause readers to not be able to get your amount used.  That caused some issues.  General recommendations back then were to keep your lights away from those readers.  *shrug*   I have also heard of people having problems because they slept too close to the energy field. Messes with your normal vibrations(esoteric).

So yea, digitals should not cause the interference and generally the older or cheaper the electronics, the more likely for interference.  I am guessing you could dig up a bunch of old discussions on this topic in various forums.

like living under power lines. I thought that info to be notorious.

I ponder the effects on the plants themselves with such high intensity electrical frequencies from bulbs, fans, and ballasts running near non stop. I "electrically grounded" a tray of plants from the soil to the ground under my floor in the flowering cycles and the differences in same genetic plants  are recognizable all year long, maybe enough to hassle with the whole practice? I dunno. I make some pretty good flowers either way. Like when I didn't use c02, the buds were stellar, and didn't lack a bit I presumed. Then when I added c02 I saw faster flowers, tighter groups, happier plants, now, I wouldn't grow without the augmentation indoors.

When I used hydro reservoirs the current in the liquid when pumps came on would register on a meter right into the pots they were watering, when I first began thinking about it.

You can buy a radio wave detecter/transmitter for less than $100. I use one to extend my IR remote controls to work through walls. Nice gadget. The Dyson seriously messes with it though. lol Even a brand new one. Since none of my ballasts, electronic or magnetic, cause these waves it makes you wonder about the story and it's source.

The old electronic ballasts were well known for interference. The 1k's were the worst.  They eventually dampened the fields in the 4/600's and shortly after the 1k's were brought into reason.  Many people were busted due to that interference and neighbours complaints.  But, there is still an electrical field, just small enough to cause less interference or none in certain electronics.  I assume quality is the beacon of degree here.   There was known interference with those RFID chipped meter reader thingy's(real technical there,..lol) which would cause readers to not be able to get your amount used.  That caused some issues.  General recommendations back then were to keep your lights away from those readers.  *shrug*   I have also heard of people having problems because they slept too close to the energy field. Messes with your normal vibrations(esoteric).

So yea, digitals should not cause the interference and generally the older or cheaper the electronics, the more likely for interference.  I am guessing you could dig up a bunch of old discussions on this topic in various forums.

Dead on.  1st generation digital ballasts were notorious, but this problem has been solved for a while.  You shouldn't be getting any RF from a magnetic ballast or a lamp - if you are, you must have some bigger problem that is causing it.  Maybe I'm overly cautious/paranoid/safety conscious, but if I got noticeable RF from a mag ballast or lamp I'd be concerned about possible electrical problems (i.e. shorts) that could cause much bigger issues (i.e. fires). 

I'd shoot the messenger :P

All those old ballasts are long gone because they only worked for about a year. Now that we know the truth what do you think about this guy Ben Thompson who definitely knows the truth also? Do you think that he might have some type of motive to lie like that? What about a news service that believes him?

Thompson, a retired electrical engineer, crafted a portable antenna and began roaming the streets to see what made its signal cut out.