Hey All, New Here, Interested In Becoming A Mm Patient.

Hey gang, new here, I have been struggling for years with mental issues. I could never afford a shrink so I was never given a proper diagnosis.

I am now on medicaid and in the process of applying for disability.

I have been on a bunch of meds including lithium, tegratol, ativan, valium, celexa, and a ton of others.

I am now on seroquel, latuda and hydroxyzine.

I have an official diagnosis of bi-polar, sever depression with psychotic behaviors.

On the nights when my meds wont work, 4-5 nights a month, I was smoking a little marijuana to help me get to sleep otherwise I would be awake for 2-3 days straight.

My question is, do I qualify for a MM card since I do not want to do this illegally from now on since I am in the process of filing for disiability.

Thanks for any advice/information.

Welcome.  The Michigan Medical Marihuana Program website is located here: http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869---,00.html

An easy link to the FAQ where qualifying conditions are listed under definitions on page one: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/lara_MMP_FAQ_6-28-13_426011_7.pdf

note that PSD has been added to qualifying conditions.

On your particular situation, I'd suggest that once you have received your disability rating, taking a copy of your medical records to a qualified certification doctor for a determination.

bi polar, depression and psychotic behaviors are not qualifying conditions.

but if any of those cause nausea or muscle spasms, then you can be a patient.

or if your medications cause nausea or muscle spasms.

you can help. you can write a letter to LARA / the medical marijuana conditions review panel and tell them how marijuana helps your symptoms and conditions.

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869_62980---,00.html

or go to http://michigan.gov/mmp and click on Petition Process for Additional Medical Conditions

Did you seriously take all those drugs? Why? Did you research?

Oh, the answer is no. No mental issues allowed unless PTSD

Although if you check the possible side effects of those drugs I wouldn't doubt ptsd is one of them.

Edited by shishka

sometimes the pain of mental anguish is the worst pain  a person has ever felt, and trusting a physician to prescribe safe and effective treatments is normal behavior and widely practiced. Many educated people in history suffered from mental issues like depression that made them go to great lengths to find relief. Taking a pill whould be easier than bloodletting, frontal lobotomy, or shock therapy, the chosen therapies for mental illness just a few years ago, prescribed by the same physician schools of thought.....before they believed gloves could stop invisible bugs from spreading to other patients. 

Imagine the treatments given in another hundred years......might just be a whole list of cannabis strains to chooses from

I would have to think alot of people who are physicaly disabled are also mentaly disabled, its not easy being physicaly disabled and it is very depressing, I have a disablilty that is covered chronic pain, but that chronic pain made me coo coo for coa coa puffs!

The mm helps me a ton for my pain and yea it makes me feel good also, but I still need celexa and depakote for my head, Im not afraid to admit that, I could prob stop doing them in the summer but no way in the winter, I get seasonal disorder disease (cabin fever) realy bad every winter, all I know is the head meds im on help me be alot better for me and my family!

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Peace

Did you seriously take all those drugs? Why? Did you research?

Oh, the answer is no. No mental issues allowed unless PTSD

Although if you check the possible side effects of those drugs I wouldn't doubt ptsd is one of them.

I assume that the OP took all those drugs because he was prescribed them by mental health professionals and is in anguish. I assume this because seroquel, latuda and hydroxyzine are probably difficult to come by without a script.

bi-polar, severe depression with psychotic behaviors does sound a bit like PTSD to me - I think the suggestion given to take your paperwork over to a marijuana certification doctor for your mm card is a good one. Let them make the determination. If you need a recommendation on a particular doctor in your area, I am sure someone on this board can help with that.

I assume that the OP took all those drugs because he was prescribed them by mental health professionals and is in anguish. I assume this because seroquel, latuda and hydroxyzine are probably difficult to come by without a script.

bi-polar, severe depression with psychotic behaviors does sound a bit like PTSD to me - I think the suggestion given to take your paperwork over to a marijuana certification doctor for your mm card is a good one. Let them make the determination. If you need a recommendation on a particular doctor in your area, I am sure someone on this board can help with that.

Post traumatic stress disorder is not bi-polar disorder, depression w psychotic behaviors. It is event driven.A terrible event in your life causes excessive stress afterwards. The other illnesses can be genetic in nature. 

Hey guys, I just got the rest of my diagnosis back from my therapist and PTSD is on there as well as the other things I mentioned.

And no, I was not just taking those medications recreationally or on my own accord. I was prescribed them and many many more.

I am 37 years old and have had a rough life with abuses I wont go into here, along with 2 guys trying to beat me to death with baseball bats and also getting 6 teeth knocked out with a golf club.

I hate the fact that I have to rely on pharmacuticals to keep my sanity but it is what it is.

Both of my parents were hospitalized with Bipolar, my mother for over a year and my father for almost a year.

I am thinking I have a head injury that was not diagnosed because I took 5-6 shots in the head from the baseball bats as well as 20+ to the body and the only thing they x rayed was my hand because I hurt it bad trying to fight them off. Then when I got my teeth knocked out, the only thing that was x rayed was my mouth. I lost conciousness both times, and no one thought to do any tests.

A Dr. in this area would be great, I live in Sault Saint Marie Michigan 49783.

THanks gang.

Post traumatic stress disorder is not bi-polar disorder, depression w psychotic behaviors. It is event driven.A terrible event in your life causes excessive stress afterwards. The other illnesses can be genetic in nature. 

It can be rightly said that events can and do exacerbate the condition. If one is already prone to extremes of mood and emotion due to neural issues, abuse will almost certainly add to that. It is sometimes the case that behavior that is caused by the condition invites abuse from those who have no idea what is going on, and much less care. People can be and are evil creatures if you haven't heard.

I completely understand your comment about pharmaceuticals ryaan. Those who know can't explain. Those who don't can't understand.

Edited by GregS

There you have it Ryaan. You certainly aren't going to have any trouble getting a MMJ license with the PTSD and they might throw in chronic pain on there as well from your prior injuries. 

Unfortunately, I can't find any cert clinic anywhere near you so far north in the UP. And that really does seem like the place to go to actually get a MMJ certification (for complex political/social reasons it seems)..... Hopeing a UP'r can help you out.

I would think the second hurdle now would be obtaining a quality source for good, low cost, medication in your area... but you are close to Canada so maybe that's a non-issue. 

Good luck to you.

There you have it Ryaan. You certainly aren't going to have any trouble getting a MMJ license with the PTSD and they might throw in chronic pain on there as well from your prior injuries.

Unfortunately, I can't find any cert clinic anywhere near you so far north in the UP. And that really does seem like the place to go to actually get a MMJ certification (for complex political/social reasons it seems)..... Hopeing a UP'r can help you out.

I would think the second hurdle now would be obtaining a quality source for good, low cost, medication in your area... but you are close to Canada so maybe that's a non-issue.

Good luck to you.

Canada? Don't bring cannabis acrodrb the border

A Dr. in this area would be great, I live in Sault Saint Marie Michigan 49783.

might be difficult. thats pretty far out there.

dr bob used to go to the soo.

http://www.denalihealthcaremi.com/

call him up, he may know of another dr up there.

these guys say they are in the soo too, but i dunno them personally....

http://alternativesolutionsplus.com/?page_id=14

Phone: (231) 753-2300

Alternative Solutions Plus

214 Ashmun St

Sault Sainte Marie, MI 49783