Need Help With Baby Plants

zenwishes

These were germinated from seed about 3.5 weeks ago.  They were planted in miracle gro seed starting soil. They are watered with spring water from 6.5 to 7.0 ph. They are lighted with CFLs which are 2-4 inches away and have been doing beautifully until the last 3 or 4 days when the leaves have started to yellow.  Any suggestions?  What do I do?  

babyplants

Also, is a smell that is strong enough to fill a story of the house normal when they are this small? Whew!!

These were germinated from seed about 3.5 weeks ago.  They were planted in miracle gro seed starting soil. They are watered with spring water from 6.5 to 7.0 ph. They are lighted with CFLs which are 2-4 inches away and have been doing beautifully until the last 3 or 4 days when the leaves have started to yellow.  Any suggestions?  What do I do?  

Also, is a smell that is strong enough to fill a story of the house normal when they are this small? Whew!!

Sounds like it is time for them to be planted into their own pots. I have not used any MiracleGrow products though. I just mix my own soil and use rapid rooters for cuttings. For seeds I always just started with my own soil mixture light with nutrients. As soon as they look ready, I transplant them as soon as possible to help reduce any stress that may cause them to become male. The more stress seedlings get at an early stage the higher number of males you will get in return. Being extra gentle with my seedlings I have been able to get about 80% female germination with standard seeds.

The smell can have a lot to do with the strain as well as other potential factors.

Edit: The PH on the spring water sounds good, but you also need to check the PPM with a TDS meter to determine how much stuff is in the water (minerals, etc.). Too high in certain minerals can cause problems. I am not a water expert, but I have always used clean rain water. If I happen to run out of rain water I use RO filtered water. That gets my PH around 6.5 and my PPM under 20 so there is basically nothing in it but H20. When I use RO water I add a little bit of organic nutrients to it. The only other water I use is distilled water for my cuttings.

Edited by GrowGoddess

Thanks folks.  Great advice.  Should I cut off the yellow leaves or leave them alone?

That is a personal preference.

Most would suggest to cut them off. In my case, I usually don't. My grow room is heavily ventilated 24/7, I have air exchange running during off cycle, so I don't have to worry much about mold and such. I will let the leaf completely die to where it easily comes off with my fingers. Unless it is blocking crucial light. Sometimes I prefer to just pull out the scissors and only cut the yellowing part off. Pretty much anything that is green can benefit the plant.

The strain is Ice, purchased from Amsterdam. Supposedly a very high yield, stubby, 50/50 plant.  We shall see, and yep, the whole house is now smelling and I am running carbon filters upstairs and down.  Need to use a lot of Febreeze when anyone comes over, hehehe. Thanks for the advice. They are definitely not overwatered as they are in peat pots and drying out very quickly. You can actually see when the peat becomes dry.  Will need to repot soon but supposedly the roots can go right through the pots so as to avoid shocking the babies.  Does that sound right?