Any Other Testing Labs

Just got my 2nd 3 tests back from Iron Labs.  Mal, I have to say I may agree about testing.  Last tests meshed with my grading on the first 3 strains I submitted.  18.5, 19.4 and 21.3 THC levels.  These last 3, which were stronger than the previous 3 tested at 15%, 15% and 12%.  They followed in that the strongest 2 were the 15% and the weakest being the 12%.  I've heard of Quantacann? tests that don't destroy the sample.  Anyone have a list of testing facilities and prices so I can check these results quick and cheap?

I understand that terpenes blend with the THC to create a different or enhance the hi.  Is it possible that they add enough to make 3 lower THC strains more powerful than the others, even having 5-10%(75 to 50% of the quantity) less THC?  Just doesn't seem right to me.  Nothing has changed and the pine dog seemed even better this time around that I took the tests from.  And the Quantum Kush from TGA tested at 30% for them and 15% for me and the CBG levels were much lower on mine too. And the PIne Dog and QK almost have identical test results.

I hate it when things don't make sense and you can't be the one making sure the calibrations are right.  Kind of a control freak.

Edited by Norby

I've often tried to quantify the THC levels and potency considering that you can do 2 bongs hits and get just as hi as 1 from a sample that's twice as potent but we know it doesn't work out that way.  Are terpenes and flavenoids responsible for that much of the hi that THC levels don't matter very much outside specifically what THC does for your health?  Is THC only the base off which the other components tailor most of the hi or lo?

30x Name Member Test Date                                            ∆9-THC ∆8-THC CBC   CBD     CBG         CBN  TOTAL

17239.jpg Pine Dawg Hardcore Harvest 2014-06-12 15.32 % 0.03 % 0.18 % 0.11 % 0.70 % 0.04 % 16.37 %

17240.jpg Quantum Kush Hardcore Harvest 2014-06-12 15.65 % 0.03 % 0.18 % 0.22 % 0.74 % 0.04 % 16.86 %

17241.jpg Qush Hardcore Harvest 2014-06-12                  12.26 % 0.04 % 0.24 % 0.09 % 0.52 % 0.07 % 13.22 %

http://www.ironlabsllc.co/view/results.php

Edited by Norby

I'm starting to think, if these results are right, that the terpenes have much more to do with the high or low than the THC content.

My patient and I were talking about the "potency" of the strains we have.  I remarked the L75W I only smoke at nite because it's too powerful.  He uses it all day as it's the lightest to him.  I realized i can only smoke something that makes me jittery at nite because I feel more relaxed and secure.  It makes me feel similar to having too much coffee.  I also read that limonene is responsible for a lot of the sativa his where you get an up feeling and pinene was prominent more in indica's.  The l75W is a backcross of the lemon skunk crossed with wappa.  It has a bit of limonene I think.  This would explain why he and I have different views based solely on tepenes and not THC potency.  He preferred the QE at nite while I didn't think it was that powerful and liked it in the morning with a cup of coffee.  It makes you feel more relaxed and brite for me.  He doesn't like the "drunk" feeling during the day.  I'm usually so hepped up and thinking that it keeps me sane to accomplish my tasks.

These same three strains tested at 18.5, 19.4, and 21.3 previously?

Nope, those strains were different.  The L75W, the Querkle express and the Space dawg 2(sister to the pine dawg and less powerful than the pine dawg).  I'll find the page and link it.  The tests were done on 4-23 I believe.  Just a minute.

Edited by Norby

30x                        Name      Member                   Test Date           ∆9-THC ∆8-THC    CBC    CBD    CBG    CBN   TOTAL

15832.jpg Space DawgTree City Health Collective 2014-04-23 21.29 % 0.01 % 0.23 % 0.11 % 0.68 % 0.02 %22.34 %

15830.jpg Querkle Express Tree City Health Collective 2014-04-23 19.21 % 0.01 % 0.17 % 0.05 % 0.96 % 0.01 % 20.41 %

15829.jpg L. 75W Dank Tree City Health Collective 2014-04-23 18.50 % 0.01 % 0.25 % 0.05 % 0.52 % 0.02 % 19.35 %

Edited by Norby

Seedbank potency tests are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS inflated. They probably submit a top choice bud for testing. It's all marketing.

You may just have a lower potency phenotype of that strain. Or the bud you submitted was more average than the one they submitted for their testing.

Testing is useful if applied in the right context, but as you mentioned, different strains appeal to different people for different reasons.

Bottom line, if it works for someone, the numbers mean diddly.

But to answer your question re: modifiers of THC - yes, terpene content and profile has a lot to do with the subtleties of different strains. Sure they all get you 'high' but they also make you hyped/sleepy/alert/spaced out. These subtleties are all about terpenes and other 'minor' compounds.

Terpenes DO NOT do anything to alter the tested quantities of THC in cannabis. Tests can't detect the entourage effect, but patients can. Watch that Odysseus video I posted and understand that even cheese has potential human emotional and physical reactions but not necessarily cannabinoids causing it.

Resto, you really have to start reading and comprehending what I write.  I know I'm not great at getting my point across but this is plain as day.  I did NOT say terpenes have ANYTHING to do with affecting the levels of THC. 

READ:I'm starting to think, if these results are right, that the terpenes have much more to do with the high or low than the THC content.

Resto, you really have to start reading and comprehending what I write.  I know I'm not great at getting my point across but this is plain as day.  I did NOT say terpenes have ANYTHING to do with affecting the levels of THC. 

READ:I'm starting to think, if these results are right, that the terpenes have much more to do with the high or low than the THC content.

You're thinking correctly. THC has to be there, of course, but terpene profiles are what makes a super lemon haze different from a Cataract Kush.

My bad. Sorry.

I think we haven't even come close to understanding how any test results correlate to a patient's experience. Yet we see folks taking the testing ball and running with it, declaring a touch down, and doing a happy dance in the end zone.

terpenes do not turn into thc, nor do they affect the amount of thc in the sample.

unless the test is not accurate...

i guess the question you should be asking is how to get more thc in your marijuana.

I'd be afraid to.  It's already quite potent enough.  It causes greenouts already.  :)

I'm going to quantacann to get a back up.  It's not as "accurate" but it's cheaper and doesn't destroy the sample and I don't have to wait days.  If they don't come out close then I'll go back to iron labs and retest, or maybe not.  If they come out the same then it makes sense that the "more powerful" samples must've just been the right combination of terpenes to create a more devastating effect.  Considering it causes green outs that normal THC doesn't I imagine it's a terpene combination or synergistic effect.

My bad. Sorry.

I think we haven't even come close to understanding how any test results correlate to a patient's experience. Yet we see folks taking the testing ball and running with it, declaring a touch down, and doing a happy dance in the end zone.

I agree, I just wanted the hi thc strain(quantum kush) to be hi in thc as to be my go to for cancer and other cb, can't remember 1 or 2, receptor activator uses.  One of my patients thinks it's the best yet and it seemed to have cured my need for Xanax.  I just hate when the way I see the world doesn't make sense.  I just had to realize that the other components can make up the "potency"  or feel of it I guess and not think "these tests have to be wrong".

I want some plants for specific uses.  Pennywise for hi THC and CBD, kosher or candy kush(the one I saw very hi in CBG) and maybe cannatonic or something for low THC and hi CBD.  It seems no one tests for THCV.  So I'm holding on that although the QK was supposed to be hi in THCV.

I want the best of both worlds.  I'd like to use the science to use hi CBD for the right cancers and hi THC for the right ones and have something with a hi content in what I read of next about a specific ailment that could benefit from hi levels of x. 

Not like any of them are different because I got tests back this AM or I'm thinking of ditching any.  I wish I could afford terpene testing but at $85 a pop, that's a bit out of my price range esp. for all the things I want to know and experiments I'd do.  If I hit the lottery though I'm setting up my own lab! :)

I see how that can be misinterpreted, I'm terrible at wording. 

Edited by Norby

I wonder if the moisture levels of the samples are accounted for at testing labs in Michigan.  It's my understanding that the lower the moisture content , the higher the THC reading for a given sample. 

It does give a % moisture level.  One thing I read is a footnote in a lab was that the % was based on CBD levels, which I don't understand. 

My wife suggested the cheaper test or retesting the same samples.  She's quite a stickler about controls and verifying with numerous tests.  But she doesn't have to worry about the price with her tests.

It does give a % moisture level.  One thing I read is a footnote in a lab was that the % was based on CBD levels, which I don't understand. 

Sorry. I had only looked at your posts #4 and #8.  I did notice that the moisture levels in the TGA analysis link for the Quantum Kush #2 was at 3.4%, and the Batch QC was at 7.7%. 

I'd imagine they'd compensate for that.  My space dawg at 21.29% was 9% moisture.  Good call though, I didn't notice.  I wonder what the mass or volume would be of one gram at 3.4% compared to 9% and if there'd be enough to make a difference at all.  It doesn't seem that it would make more than a 1/10th of a percent difference if uncompensated for by weight.  I don't know anything about the interactions in the test to know if something may get thrown with water vapor in a gc setup.

I got a question. What does the % stand for?  When it says 21% THC, that's 21% of what? the whole sample or just the oils on the sample or is it something else.

I remember a few years ago TGA put out a new seed catalogue and all the THC scores had jumped up by about 5%. Figured it was either a scam or they finally figured out how to grow there strains correctly. ;)

I've also noticed that the people that harvest early are the one with higher THC% tests, at around 1% amber.

I'd imagine they'd compensate for that.  My space dawg at 21.29% was 9% moisture.  Good call though, I didn't notice.  I wonder what the mass or volume would be of one gram at 3.4% compared to 9% and if there'd be enough to make a difference at all.  It doesn't seem that it would make more than a 1/10th of a percent difference if uncompensated for by weight.  I don't know anything about the interactions in the test to know if something may get thrown with water vapor in a gc setup.

A couple of articles I ran across a few weeks ago that somewhat relates:

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/how-to-increase-thc-with-simple-math/

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/is-cannabis-lab-testing-a-scam/

Edited by cheapshades