Any Other Testing Labs

Hey I just wanted to chime in re: testing. After scanning through this thread I see cheapshades gives a link to a article that discusses lab testing and dryness which very simply concludes that as the moisture content of the sample in question goes down the reported THC values go up. So for marketing purposes (which I will argue is the only reason to test) dry the shiyat out of the sample before sending it in.

Next point. HOW are you able to reliably and scientifically link the data you have gathered from your testing facility to YOUR ACTUAL patient relief / enjoyment of your products? I think that point is particularly sticky, as far as I know there is no actual, scientifically verified database when you can just look this stuff up. So you're forced back to square one IMO - taking a more qualitative approach.

I advocate only collecting data that I can take action against - or so called "actionable metrics" in modern business lingo. Specifically your growing decisions can be governed using the following methodology:

slowly introduce new strains / growing techniques

perform blind testing on your OWN patients to determine if I'm heading in the right direction or not.

Ask patients to rank current, and past samples.

So for example lets say I introduce a new strain, Phantom Cookies. For the sake of simplicity lets just say I've aquired a preselected - well received - clone from a dispensary. At the strains introduction I only plant one (1!!) plant in the rotation. If I think that plant looks good, smells good, and generally plays nicely in my grow room throughout it's entire cycle then it's allowed to become dried bud ready for sale to my patients.

When the plant is done I create 1 gram samples of every strain currently in my garden and label them A, B, C, D, E for each of my 5 patients. Phantom cookies is assigned as strain C. Now I ask my patients to Rank A,B,C,D,E in order of their preference and make any notes on the strain that they wish to. SO lets say the result is that the majority of my patients C ranks near the top and "A" ranks near the bottom. From this information and historical data I can say that the "A" strain will no longer be cloned and later stages of "A" are at risk of being "bumped off" by plants of the other strains that are ready to go. I also use the ranking data to determine my mix of plants from the 60 spots I have available.

With continious experimentation, you'll end up with cuts that, for whatever physical reason, are very hard to beat. The result? Happier patients, lower turnover, more money, less waste.

Edited by Guanotea1

Great recommendations.

My patients are very satisfied.  I don't "need" a higher THC strain as I'm convinced the THC just has to be there for most and that the combinations of terpenes other cannabinoids, flavenoids and levels are what matters.  I just wanted the 30% THC so that, when I need to taylor a certain regime, say to put cancer into remission and take care of any tumors or work alongside chemo, I have the right tools.  I think a lot of pain and eating and other problems are relieved by a combination of things, not just THC content.  But there are 2 approaches, looking at the science and qualities of the cannabinoids(cb activators and tumor receptor increases) and terpenes present and trying to maximize those to combat a certain problem and letting the patient try what you have to relieve their symptoms.  I want to have all the tools I can.  THC/CBD combo, Hi CBD not THC, hi CBG and then hi terpine level plants that seem to work for certain symptoms more often than not.  Then test those plants for terpenes and see if there is any correlation.  Obviously most all will be anecdotal or mildly scientific at best.  I like trying to figure things out though.

There is a list of medicinal qualities of terpenes, flavenoids and cannabinoids alongside what receptor each cannabinoid activates or blocks.  i imagine the synergies and combinations are where it gets really unpredictable and you have to rely on patient testimony.