Legal Question About Caregivers

My caregiver and I want to be in strict guidance with the law but we are unsure how to interrupt the law on this matter which is. LEGALLY can I sit down in my caregivers house and trim? I would love to help him with everything but we are unsure just how much I can help him out. I don't want a "you'll just be fine" or "I think"....I need to know! We all have families and never want any unnecessary drama with this God given plant :) My conclusion from the law is this. As long as there is ONLY 2 1/2 OZ on the table and the rest in the locked area I am just trimming my medicine.....Is that a correct conclusion? I HATE ALL THESE GREY AREAS! They really make it hard for people trying to follow the law with this, it's sad sick people are just trying to get better and work again but instead are to being set up to fail. 

My caregiver and I want to be in strict guidance with the law but we are unsure how to interrupt the law on this matter which is. LEGALLY can I sit down in my caregivers house and trim? I would love to help him with everything but we are unsure just how much I can help him out. I don't want a "you'll just be fine" or "I think"....I need to know! We all have families and never want any unnecessary drama with this God given plant :) My conclusion from the law is this. As long as there is ONLY 2 1/2 OZ on the table and the rest in the locked area I am just trimming my medicine.....Is that a correct conclusion? I HATE ALL THESE GREY AREAS! They really make it hard for people trying to follow the law with this, it's sad sick people are just trying to get better and work again but instead are to being set up to fail.

You can trim. Just make sure that you don't have too big of a pile in front of you(2.5 ounces). You never know when the sky might fall and law enforcement comes in to save you. They pick the worst times to stop by. Edited by Restorium2

Great concerns, welcome to the forum.

Following the MMMA is actually pretty easy. I find only a few insignificant(to me) grey areas that bug me. Providing to (a, my) registered patient, who also is a registered caregiver, who also provides (my?) provisions to his own patients is one troublesome area. Driving is another. Most of the other rules are easy to comply, and the unwritten ones are the same as we've always abided by, well, some of us anyways.

I would want nothing to do with my caregiver's home or garden goings on. I don't want to know where he's located, or ever see my plants, until they're ready for me to pick up at a meeting. That's something I learned to appreciate over the years, as a patient, and a caregiver. 

peace

gm

If it is not in the grow room I would say you have nothing to worry about, your c,g is going to say it is his and his pt's and you as one of his pt's helping to trim for lets say some free or discounted mm for your troubles, it is not in the law, what is in the law is only one person can be in the grow the one who has the grow rights, but if you trim out side of the room it is all your c.gs you are just helping like I said, and even taking home 2.5 of it, I dont see why any one would be trimming 45 or 70 plants at a time so it isnt a problem, if you are some where and your c.g is over the weight well that may be different, but now how many people have had leo bust in their doors on trim day?  people need to think more like we thought before the law and zip thy lips and not to worry, triming is the worst job as a grower, Im sure a c.g would rather have all of their pts there to trim lol, I know I would, but if you are doing a virtual how many are being cropped at a time, it is more of a how often than a how much at a time eh?

enjoy them sticky fingers and scissors and dont swet it so much, people who are legal , like I worry to much, sometimes I wish I was still under ground, I truly didnt give it much thought and I sure wasnt worried about leo coming by for a visit, and im not sure why c.g's today are worried about a visit from leo, as long as they are following the law phaq leo!

Happy trimming!

Peace

• 5 weeks later...

Someone please tell me what the heck is going on?

I'm originally from the Grand Rapids area, but 7 years ago I moved to south Florida and have been thinking of coming back.

I'm a horticulturalist with a qualifying condition under Michigan's law and would like very much to find work or start my own grow operation.

Can someone please tell me what the situation is with co-op's?

Are they allowed now or not?

Unless I've been gravely misinformed, I've been told that co-op's are now legal and that you can have one large building full of Medical Marijuana patients tending to their 12 and the 60 others from their caregivers list.

This is to say 72 plants for each MM worker all being tended to under one roof by various employees.

It sounds too good to be true, which makes me think it isn't.

I've spoken to guy named xx who claims to be building such a facility outside of Ann Arbor.

He seems to be legit.

Can anyone tell me otherwise or tell me of who and where else these type of operations are at?

Someone please tell me what the heck is going on?

I'm originally from the Grand Rapids area, but 7 years ago I moved to south Florida and have been thinking of coming back.

I'm a horticulturalist with a qualifying condition under Michigan's law and would like very much to find work or start my own grow operation.

Can someone please tell me what the situation is with co-op's?

Are they allowed now or not?

Unless I've been gravely misinformed, I've been told that co-op's are now legal and that you can have one large building full of Medical Marijuana patients tending to their 12 and the 60 others from their caregivers list.

This is to say 72 plants for each MM worker all being tended to under one roof by various employees.

It sounds too good to be true, which makes me think it isn't.

I've spoken to guy named xx who claims to be building such a facility outside of Ann Arbor.

He seems to be legit.

Can anyone tell me otherwise or tell me of who and where else these type of operations are at?

A caregiver has to tend to the plants, not various employees. Access is denied to anyone but who has responsibility for the plants(on the forms).

I don't know the answer to this question, but you seem to be getting pretty good advice on the 'trimming with your caregiver' issue.  I think you will be safe staying away as has been recommended.  

But I do want to bring one thing to your attention.  Say you are in his 72 plant grow trimming away, and he excuses himself to the go to the bathroom.  As you sit there by your lonesome, think about who is in possession of the 72 plants surrounding you.  And ask yourself when the narcotics task force will decide to visit?

Dr. Bob

I don't know man, after revisiting this thread again I've had another thought. It takes me an hour or so to trim what will be around 6 ounces of mj every so often. To have another person by my side trimming seems like a risky hindrance, with little to no advantage.

On the other hand I wish I was comfortable to invite my patients to my home where we could all safely medicate together, compare real time experiences, and bond even more.

The second rule is that you don't tell anyone anything they don't need to know. 

Michigan law protects a caregiver who has no more plants than they are permitted in a locked enclosure. Fence material and a little dimensional lumber or metal studs work well. The feds, on the other hand, fail to see the humor in having more than 99 plants in a given location, for instance in a coop. It is better to spread the grows around so that the numbers don't attract unwanted attention. There are a lot of caregivers and patients who network with each other. They are for the most part smart about it and have no trouble. There was a group in western Michigan that got silly with that and they have been charged and are facing trial in Federal Court. They don't appear to have been among the best and brightest by any stretch. 

Greg S,

As they get caught one might say that of each?

Florydyan,

A safer alternative would be to grow for yourself legally, or for five others legally. there's cash to be made in some other states legally in the industry, but not in Michigan at this time. you can see this yourself right here; http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869_52138---,00.html

Greg your idea regarding an affidavit intrigues me. I won't ever be in a position where I'd need that but I am curious as to whether it will work.  Would these documents be admissible in court to prove what needs to be proven is my question.  I have read as much as I can about your idea on here and I am wondering why this scheme isn't adopted.

Has it been run by an attorney or the legal fellow you were referring to?

I see this isn't the thread I thought it was so maybe this is a change of subject and the inappropriate thread to pose this question.

Edited by FranksHotPeppersAndMarijuana

Greg your idea regarding an affidavit intrigues me. I won't ever be in a position where I'd need that but I am curious as to whether it will work.  Would these documents be admissible in court to prove what needs to be proven is my question.  I have read as much as I can about your idea on here and I am wondering why this scheme isn't adopted.

I see this isn't the thread I thought it was so maybe this is a change of subject and the inappropriate thread to pose this question.

I've been told that they have appeared in some cases. Perhaps zap will fill us in. How about it big man?

I think so. The mods are permitting me to post them and advise folks about the details. Given the rules found in the MRE that I gave you I cannot see them being declared inadmissible unless a judge gets a wild hair up his azz.  There are a lot of threads where it comes up. The full force of sec. 8 should not be discounted by any means. It is our law that we chose to protect ourselves from jail. It is part of the full court press (pun intended) to liberalize our protections to their fullest. I recommend you use them as a backup to registration in the even something goes sideways and you land in court. It has happened.

Edited by GregS