The Year Of The Grasshopper

Last year outdoor growers largely lost the battle for a great crop to wpm and botrytis fucklia.  This year is shaping up as the year of the hole, eaten through leaves by fast jumpers.  Orthene (sold as Orthenex brand) is effective at making cannabis grasshopper resistant when sprayed on topside and underside, but the MSDS label leaves me quaking at any application of this systemic.  Just getting it on your clothes can cause nerve damage and eye damage.  So what is the ticket to stop the horde of migrants?  (Nicotine spray hasn't proven effective).  Application of common baking flour would work, but requires rain to wash it off after 2 days or it damages plants.  i have Wipeout on hand, but the label mentions only spider mites. 

Edited by pic book

What about a spray of red chili and garlic oil?

That would keep them off for sure.

But like all insecticidal oils it would need re-application after a rain.

As always use in the dark or at dusk/dawn to help with photosensitivity issues.

canola oil may kill but wont prevent like garlic. make some, try it, label the "strength" of each small test area, dilute each with measured water, record until minimal damage has occurred to foliage. Try it out, report results here for appreciation.

Neem oil is a wise choice outdoors, is safely applied to the majority of our growth cycles, cheap, effective, and liked by cannabis foliage, not so bad for some beneficials. My worms despise Neem oil so I must avoid it in/on the soil. But have no doubts, if an outbreak of some sort was evident, and I had no c02, I wouldn't hesitate using neem on or in and around my plants or garden. I use it currently on my trays and pots when maintaining. I used it in hydro in my res and on my rocks. I mixed it with Tween and it rocked ! It's safe because I said so.

What about a spray of red chili and garlic oil?

That would keep them off for sure.

But like all insecticidal oils it would need re-application after a rain.

As always use in the dark or at dusk/dawn to help with photosensitivity issues.

well the nicotine spray totally fails so next up is a spray of red chili and garlic oil.

t-pain:  what proportions red chili to garlic oil?  and spray only over foliage, not under?  any idea, would canola oil work as well as garlic?

i wouldnt waste time on sprays.

i'd go full monty. surround each plant in a net. bugs cant get in, no sprays, no nonsense.

something like this:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/insect-screen

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/outdoor-grounds-maintenance/tarps-canopies/pop-up-canopies/10x20-canopy-black-screen-kit-for-1-3-8-inch-and-2-inch-frame

Edited by t-pain