Gmo Cannabis Cup

The Incredible True Story Of How Cannabis Is Coming To Right-AidHortaPharm developed the first homozygote cannabis (a plant with two identical sets of chromosomes), enabling the company to produce strains overwhelmingly high in a single cannabinoid. It’s long been known that THC is the “active ingredient” in pot—it’s what gets a person stoned. But more recent research has found numerous other cannabinoids in the plant, which have different effects on the body. One that’s shown early promise for antiseizure and antianxiety properties is cannabidiol, or CBD. Watson could grow plants that were 98 percent THC, or 98 percent CBD, or whatever. http://www.takepart.com/feature/2014/03/05/coming-soon-to-pharmacies-marijuana GMO Cannabis right here folks !!!!!!Sativex is a GMO product !!   Yummy !!!!

Soma anyone?

Yes, my modern tools have allowed me to track this exaggerated occurrence of THC  levels right back to your garden!!!

I thank you Norby for the wonderful gift of GMO thc rich cannabis   !!     :bow:

I have a 1600x digital led microscope, and would tell you the strains that you successfully have polyploid'd if you like. 

The reveal would be upsetting here, so we'll keep the info in private/email?

Crocus bulbs  are very easy to extract from and

Colchicine is an alkaloid prepared from the dried corns and seeds of Colchicum autumnale, the autumn crocus or meadow saffron. It is a pale yellow powder soluble in water in 1:25 dilution, commonly prescribed for gout, widely available for decades.

Unfortunately all those seeds are gone.  I do have one group of seeds left that was mixed in with, I believe an autoflower, which I found in a patch on the back of my property.  Got some seeds out of what was left of the garden and used the seeds from the shortest one to cross into my seeds.  Unfortunately mixed in the pure and crossed seeds and don't know if I even have any pure left.  The last I grew from tehm had wicked mutations.  It looked as if 2 plants were growing fused together.  The whirls were of up to 6 leaves and stems and a flat stem and flattened(or widened) top bud.  I killed off the clone as it wouldn't stay in veg well and the root system was for shiit.  There may still be some pure seeds in the pack though.

Edited by Norby

I did once tend a MM plant with fasciation and it was fascinating... Looking back, perhaps the breeder was up to something prior to releasing those seeds? Really doubt it though.... Most likely a natural occurrence in a perverse natural way of altered growth. While I enjoyed what was happening my hope was to clone the fasciated quality. The downside was I was going to loose the fasciated kola by cutting the fasciated stem. It was too tempting not to cut to see if the trait would continue. Fasciated flowers are 20 to 30% bigger so how cool would that kola have been.... Here's the unfortunate part.... The cloned fasciated stem only grew regular stems. ;-(

Thought I was really going to have something special for a bit. That said is it possible to somehow tissue culture this trait? OR better yet infuse it through GMO enhancements? Not to say I would/could do such a modification, it's more a curiosity inquisition.

"Fasciation (or cresting) is a relatively rare condition of abnormal growth in vascular plants in which the apical meristem (growing tip), that normally is concentrated around a single point and produces approximately cylindrical tissue, instead becomes elongated perpendicularly to the direction of growth, thus producing flattened, ribbon-like, crested, or elaborately contorted tissue.[1] Fasciation can also cause plant parts to increase in weight and volume in some instances.[2] The phenomenon may occur in the stem, root, fruit, or flower head. Some plants are grown and prized aesthetically for their development of fasciation.[3] Any occurrence of fasciation has several possible causes, including hormonal, genetic, bacterial, fungal, viral and environmental."

the polyploidy mutation would live on in genetics possibly forever. Soaking a hundred seeds I understand kills the majority of the seeds, mutates a couple of the plants, of which one is viable. Clones, pollen, cuttings, seeds can live on indefinitely. If one seed, or one spec of pollen escaped your gardens on a shoe or knee its possible that the gmo plants I speak of originate at your feet!! LOL Blame it on Norby right!!! :yahoo-wave:

don't sweat it, growers have been acquiring colchicine for a long time for their experiments. Its very likely that thousands of these are out of the bag by now.

..........is it possible to somehow tissue culture this trait? OR better yet infuse it through GMO enhancements? Not to say I would/could do such a modification, it's more a curiosity inquisition.

Absolutely affirmative. The gmo enhancements would be performed while culturing the tissue, for a permanent record of the desired(or undesired) expression(s).

Anyone can(and does) cause genetic coding manipulations in the garden. Dirty scalpels often introduce bacteria/virus'/pathogens/fungus into the dna of new emerging clone. Some times it's visible, sometimes not, sometimes not until several generations in its down line.

Modifications can also take place during advanced growth periods. Agrobacterium is used extensively in the craft as a vector for new cell introduction. Its illegal to buy/ow without permits, but exists in most woodlots already, visible to the eye. It can be cultured, fed ecoli, and live forever. For instance cultured GFP(green fluorescent protein) form jelly fish can be grown in a petri dish, nurtured, mixed with agrobac, which carries the protein into dna of the plant.

I doubt most of these types of manipulations will carry on to cuttings if performed on growing plants, but maybe(?) Performed in vitro, with undifferentiated dna, is where the pro's make changes(typically with bacteria, new gene coding) with plant life, and a gene gun with animals.

In Aequorea victoria a protein called aequorin releases blue light upon binding with calcium. This blue light is then totally absorbed by the GFP, which in turn gives off the green light as in the animation below.

In 1994 GFP was cloned. Now GFP is found in laboratories all over the world where it is used in every conceivable plant and animal. Flatworms, algae, E. coli and pigs have all been made to fluoresce with GFP.

The importance of GFP was recognized in 2008 when the Nobel Committee awarded Osamu Shimomura, Marty Chalfie and Roger Tsien the Chemistry Nobel Prize "for the discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein, GFP."

Why is it so popular? Well, I like to think of GFP as the microscope of the twenty-first century. Using GFP we can see when proteins are made, and where they can go. This is done by joining the GFP gene to the gene of the protein of interest so that when the protein is made it will have GFP hanging off it. Since GFP fluoresces, one can shine light at the cell and wait for the distinctive green fluorescence associated with GFP to appear.

2007- Professor Kong Il-keun, of the Gyeongsang National University, South Korea, announced he has cloned the world’s first red fluorescent cat. The South Korean researcher chose to create a genetically modified cloned cat because we know a lot about the genetics and reproductive systems of cats and they are better models of humans than mice.

Kong read about the techniques used to clone “Cc” (named for the abbreviation for carbon copy), the first feline clone, who was born Dec. 22, 2001, on the campus of Texas A&M. Cc’s creation was funded by Genetic Savings & Clone, a company created to clone the pets of wealthy cat owners. However, the company could not attract enough clients, it only managed to sell two cloned cats at between $32,000 and $50,000 each. It closed its doors in 2006.

After reading about Cc, Kong, a medical researcher, cloned his first cat in 2004. Kong is not interested in creating clones of pets, instead his interest is grounded in the fact that there is no genetic variability between clones, which makes them ideal subjects for the study of inherited diseases. These feline genetic diseases are of special interest to those in the medical community because approximately 250 of the diseases are also found in humans.

redcat

Three 60 day old kittens. Two have been genetically modified to make red fluorescent protein. All three look similar under normal light, but when irradiated with blue light only the two genetically modified kittens glow red. (Photo courtesy of Biology of Reproduction)

The kittens with the red fluorescent noses were created to prove a cloned cat could be genetically modified. To create his cloned kittens, Kong took skin cells from a female Turkish Angora cat and genetically modified these skin cells with a gene that encoded for a fluorescent protein found in corals. The nuclear material from the genetically modified skin cells was placed in the evacuated nucleus of a fertilized ovum, which was then implanted into the womb of the donor. The resultant kittens glow red when irradiated with blue light – proof that the clones had been genetically modified. One kitten was still-born, yet an autopsy showed that all its cells contained red fluorescent protein (RFP) and fluoresced.

While Kong’s kittens are the first glowing cloned cats, he is not the first to use fluorescent proteins as markers for genetic change in cloned mammals. Randy Prather, a professor of reproductive biotechnology at the University of Missouri, Columbia, is one of the researchers at the forefront of the creation of transgenic swine for medicine. Prather often uses fluorescent proteins as a marker to show that foreign genes can be expressed in transgenic swine.

http://www.conncoll.edu/ccacad/zimmer/GFP-ww/cooluses7b.html

Very coo!

Not that long ago I saw these folks on Kick-starter... They were able to raise funds for their project.

Pretty interesting... I also noticed on their web site they sell a book which details HOW to make a plant glow.

Was tempted to kickstart. The glowing rose was a nice incentive, (for $150 I believe) ready to ship this June/July.

http://www.glowingplant.com/seeds

While it's 100% GMO I don't see polyploidy as a "bad" GM.  The things I worry about are gene guns and crossing in non edible plants DNA or insects, bacteria, etc.

Polyploidy could "technically" happen naturally with crocus and mj growing side by side.  Seeds fall into a rotting crocus bulb.  Better chance of hitting the lottery or winning a trip to the moon but the elements are out there and natural to produce the GM.  Also there were no other genes inserted, technically an "enhancement" of genes present rather than a crossing.

Could polyploidy occur as a rare mutation also?

I don't know if we even achieved it.  We soaked a bunch of seeds and most of them died and the ones that sprouted were only used for crossing.  We may have got one female and if not just used the male to create seeds.  I'll have to call him and see if he remembers what all happened with it.  Going on 27 years now and my memory isn't as good. 

polyploidy cannabis have never been discovered growing wild to the best of my knowledge. It is not a natural occurrence, even if grown with the Crocus. The chemical needed is never in the concentration necessary unless a controlled extraction of many bulbs.  I suppose grampa gout could have dropped some of his colchicine

, because the bottle got wet and dissolved the pills, right on top of a seed cannabis plant too ya know.....  : )

reading of all the accidental pollinations today, and assuming the occurrence 30 yrs ago  was greater, its very possible that altered pollen has strayed to other plants even unknown for thought, especially in the middle of a colchicine seed soaking experiment during a breeding project right?

(gmo) enhancements like this are a slippery slope, and protected by law already. We as humans have little idea what happens when we tinker with nature this way, especially with a consumable product.  We may one day realize the huge fail of biologic tinkering with life forms, bio drugs, vaccines, virus', etc. I'd hate to see one small change in cannabis become a standard by a gubment, and real medicine being bred right out of the plants this way. We still only are scratching the surface of cannabis medicine, and I think its waaaay to early to wish for more of it.

One day our plants may require inspection sampling for dna testing, to make sure they're not "stolen genetics". This is already practiced worldwide, with farmers losing to bi Agri for this exact reason. Some farmers(100's?) committed a mass suicide to gain the worlds attention in the matter recently. After they lost their farms to Monsanto or were forced to grow their seeds, which stole their profits.

So... Here's my interpretation in regards to colchicine.... It's been digesting in the background of my thoughts the past couple days.

Still not fully digested.

If I took 72 seeds ;-) and soaked them in colchicine I would in essence mutate every one of them... At least the ones that would survive in the ICU unit soon after germination. So at this point (maybe) I have several that make it? The plants would begin to show very unusual and mutated growth patterns early on in maturation. In time that would figure itself out by stronger DNA/RNA patterns being at the helm of time/space growth patterns, correct? (Mutation are subdued but permanent in configuration)

So... The overall vigor in turn will be energized through GMO alterations. Why is this the presumption? Is it possible the GMO modification affects vigor in a detrimental way which losses plant vigor? It seems to me that this could be the case BUT the the opposite may happen which is the temptation to manipulate??? Also I am presuming people may assume that there may be an increase in THC but that may be the one in 1,000 mutated seed that survives out of a batch of a 100,000 seeds which were GMO modified through colchicine?.. I'm one for playing the genetic game but it appears those numbers through luck and selection are pretty incredible. Not saying one or the other is wrong or right as I'm deeply torn in regards to where the GMO politics and science is in January of 2015.

polyploidy cannabis have never been discovered growing wild to the best of my knowledge. It is not a natural occurrence, even if grown with the Crocus. The chemical needed is never in the concentration necessary unless a controlled extraction of many bulbs.  I suppose grampa gout could have dropped some of his colchicine

, because the bottle got wet and dissolved the pills, right on top of a seed cannabis plant too ya know.....  : )

So... Here's my interpretation in regards to colchicine.... It's been digesting in the background of my thoughts the past couple days.

Still not fully digested.

If I took 72 seeds ;-) and soaked them in colchicine I would in essence mutate every one of them... At least the ones that would survive in the ICU unit soon after germination. So at this point (maybe) I have several that make it? The plants would begin to show very unusual and mutated growth patterns early on in maturation. In time that would figure itself out by stronger DNA/RNA patterns being at the helm of time/space growth patterns, correct? (Mutation are subdued but permanent in configuration)

So... The overall vigor in turn will be energized through GMO alterations. Why is this the presumption? Is it possible the GMO modification affects vigor in a detrimental way which losses plant vigor? It seems to me that this could be the case BUT the the opposite may happen which is the temptation to manipulate??? Also I am presuming people may assume that there may be an increase in THC but that may be the one in 1,000 mutated seed that survives out of a batch of a 100,000 seeds which were GMO modified through colchicine?.. I'm one for playing the genetic game but it appears those numbers through luck and selection are pretty incredible. Not saying one or the other is wrong or right as I'm deeply torn in regards to where the GMO politics and science is in January of 2015.

1) most likely every seed soaked will non viable, the chance of a successful manipulation is a numbers game

2)The successfully manipulated plant may or may not show any signs early on, and nothing will "figure itself out", mutations will not be subdued, thir is no internal battle as the plant accepts its mutated coding

3)Overall vigor is not energized through this gmo alteration. It only doubles the chromosomes=twice the bud,etc.

4) most altered plants that survive will be detrimental to its vigor and survival

5)There will only be one type of success with the soak, and that plant will be vigorous, with huge leaps in thc/cbd, etc. Any other mutations will eventually die downstream.

gmocannabiswatchcom

Robert Clarke

erowid

hope that helps.

even the survivors may not thrive, while surviving. Some may look like they're "working it out" but really are just screaming for vengeance ending in a swan song.

Not to say the modification is impossibly, but it takes a greenhouse of plants over and over and over to get one beautiful alien. Polyploidy pics are online, and seeds are supposedly for sale as such.

If you decide to dip into the unreal zone be very careful not to come into contact with the derivatives of the Crocus, or with dissolved colchicine, or else you might not get gout.  :watching::P

Work with only the finest genetics you have access to. Imagine the bummer of a successfully manipulated cultivar only to have it be some run of the mill punk. The first step is to produce good seedstock from your chosen hybrid, hundreds of them. Know that gmo'n the cannabis plant is illegal in real life, a patent violation, and grounds for a homeland security investigation, so keep the fantasy real with updates of your hypothetical manipulations.

Ahh, yes ;-)

It's a GMO mind experiment... Hypotheticals are a reflection of the brilliance of life and creation in all forms.

Art, creativity, imagination= life. Besides, Blade Runner was one of my favorite movies of all time.

In regards to protective measures. We talking tyvec suits/rubber gloves with a respirator apparatus? Safe rather sorry... Anyone who treks this road should probably be aware.

In regards to patents... Are there marijuana/hemp strains which currently have legal protection? GMO or not? Is this under international law? Homeland Security, Interpol enforcement? Nutz!!!

I'm presuming this is all under the umbrella of big corporations sculpting needs and supplies.... For the greater good. :-/

nah, grampa never wore gloves when he was counting his gout meds, so probably not like radiation. 

no suits and stuff, just gloves. its all water soluble. There is some talk now of applying a spray concentrate

to a growing plant to accomplish the same results, without burning the seeds with acid. This would require

some more precautions. the colchicine that the seed soaked in briefly most likely has no drug issues later at harvest

but a treated plant would most likely be a different story. That plant should be a host of genetics rather than  a useable harvest,

in the theory. If the treatment works the plant would freely give up clones carrying the trait.

Since we're talking theory I suspect a small injection into a plant wound near a meristem in the lower areas would

be a faster trek to gmo manipulation.

I've only read about the seed soaking, anyone I know is scared to make plants talk, or even talk about it. I've been on a search since day one webs

for closet tissue culturists, then ones who ventured into cannabis. Less than 10 in the world made contact  with me so far.  One taught me how to

grow human tissues in vitro successfully !! can you imagine growing your own skin cells?? like a pet right  : )

Others have traded undifferentiated dna of tobacco, cannabis, and other exotic medicinals.

So... I was wondering.

Are there any folks who are researching taking a little, tiny seedling sample (little bit of leaf for that matter) and extracting DNA/RNA to show profiles of MM plant (all plants for that matter)... Like M/Female or hermie? OR MM case, quantitative levels of CBD/THC, etc (even terpenes levels soon too)? Therefor shortening the response time for adequate investment of time&space via plant potentials??? Via the road map which has been instilled at seed conception.

In a way it's longer way but an efficient form of natural selection without tampering with the "exotic" GMO combinations... Which are very cool, but potentially (novelty) dangerous... For example- "Glowing MM" or "aroma enhanced" MM... Novelty.

If...

GMO conglomerate writes a combination= Equal patent. (Think Monsanto)

Breeder crosses for years and selects pedigree for finer tuned genetics= No patent.

GMO corporate world paying big bucks to own our food supply.... (I'm venting and reflecting now).

This is in regards to all plant off-springs/genectic combinations?

GMOs or natural selection through breeding...

Tested and quantified=legal rights?

All these living organisms patented?... Seems vey murky.- Especially for the small time farmer.

Thoughts go in MANY directions... Exciting and confusing with some real innovative potentials for all.

So... I was wondering.

Are there any folks who are researching taking a little, tiny seedling sample (little bit of leaf for that matter) and extracting DNA/RNA to show profiles of MM plant (all plants for that matter)... Like M/Female or hermie? OR MM case, quantitative levels of CBD/THC, etc (even terpenes levels soon too)? Therefor shortening the response time for adequate investment of time&space via plant potentials??? Via the road map which has been instilled at seed conception.

In a way it's longer way but an efficient form of natural selection without tampering with the "exotic" GMO combinations... Which are very cool, but potentially (novelty) dangerous... For example- "Glowing MM" or "aroma enhanced" MM... Novelty.

yes, there are merchants offering sequencing and country of origin info. Each copy taken from a culture will be exactly as the original, unlike traditional clones. often taken as clones as I do, carrying on infections, weaknesses, pathogens, virus' exponentially. I wouldn't practice this unless I was using fresh cultures to replace the offspring occasionally.

I can visibly see damages over time. some pronounced some subtle. About 1200 copies can be taken from a vessel the size of a baby food jar, per month. Each of those can be ordered up to chute/root quickly, packaged as artificial seeds, etc and veg as normal.

I have the most fun with root culture, and anther, calyx culture. Leaf/seed/flower stalk culture has become boring(not really). Suspended cultures have caught my attention a couple years ago. I moved on to other living things too, but that's a different forum.

I don't know much about plant patents, except that Monsanto must own them all, and they are in the business of making them their own by gmo signatures .

there are some variegated "plant" experiments going on that didn't require any gmo culturing. may find those are already patented too to put an end to it.

I used to graft my vegging mothers with several strains each. that was my way to "beat the count" then, but then I was finally able to bring cultures to fruition,

which allowed me to safely clone from a clone.. Its been yrs since I grafted, but itching to do some again.

I have a non grafted "cross" bamboo x willow all over my property.....  the branches stick up instead of hang, very original and bizarre.

if you can supply the water they'll grow 4 feet in the first yr and grow to over 30 feet in the second yr. Mine are flourishing now for about ten yrs at approx. 70 feet tall. I bet you would love a cut eh?

edit=never grafted a variegated plant, and would guess that one is even photo shopped. I never employed a sport.

the trait can be exploited

successfully, if you have the time and money legal sacks, utilizing tc for the numbers, and intensive selective breeding, Punnets Square, patience.

Edited by grassmatch

How kew!

Bamboo? Are we talking the ancient grass relative? OR a species of "bamboo willow" I am not aware of?

There was a time I had several types of bamboo... My Vivax eventually acclimated after several years. It outgrew the powers lines and made quite the impressive bamboo groove. ;-)

As I mentioned, had to leave it behind and was able to only bring one variety with me... The main issue being lack of sunlight and space in the garden I moved into.

The bamboo was nice to care for and the birds loved it, especially this time of year.

There was a mocking bird which claimed the bamboo for about 4 years when I was there (seasonal migration, looking for a mate)... Also he liked me, came back to see me I think :-)

We made all kind of crazy bird sounds together in the wee hours of the night. Pretty neat looking back now.

In regards to your cross- How did you achieve?

"I put both species in a cup, rubbed really hard while holding my breath, and it just happened, really", that's what my late neighbor said is grandma did when he was young.

it is an unknown old heritage species(to me) hybridized with a weeping willow tree with unacceptable voodoo and magic potions no doubt.

those you speak of have much more interesting trunks than mine. The one here look like a poplar trunk with an upturned willow pattern canopy. Trunks remain brown year round, leaves are true to its namesake. It not a tree I'd build a treehouse in but it is deep rooted and would hold their own to oncoming traffic at 18 inches diam. The leaves are surprisingly sweet and attract ant food every year for a week or two, with no apparent damage. I don know if the tree produces salicylic acid

like a willow, but they are noticeably exotic large trees. we love more and more often. not for sale not for sale