Thrips And Something Else

JBotts420

So i been doing fairly good the last few months until i decided to get another 2lbs of worms. (bad Idea) So turns out that the bag of worms i got had a nice infestation of what i thought were spring-tails and turned out to be thrips. The thrips are all over my Veg tent, (4x8x7). They arent to bad in my Flower tent (4x4x6.5) that i have noticed. 

The worm i found was in my Sweet Pepper pots, along with thrips. i am bout to toss the peppers because they are bad and i think the worm is something to do with the peppers. What can i use to get rid of these little gentlemen? has to be something cheap as rent and bills where just paid friday so dont have much cash for anything.

post-35072-0-40477100-1406540840_thumb.jpg

post-35072-0-96972100-1406540840_thumb.jpg

post-35072-0-59324000-1406540841_thumb.jpg

so sorry those buggers found you. I grew vegetables indoors for 20 yrs before my first mj seed was planted in there. I slowly realized that the pests coming to my veggies were often different than the ones that love my mj, but would cross contaminate gladly.

I slowly removed all the troublesome veggies except for the giant herb garden. I no longer fruit any vegetables in there, but I do start outdoor varieties indoors.

Your first plan of attack is a box of yellow sticky cards, one in each plant. Second is some Organacide, some dr bronners peppermint hemp soap,and some neem oil. Mix according to directions and spray your trays, the bottom of your pots, and the trunks of all plants. After that water plants heavily, and liberally spray the mixture on the top of the soil. If you see the thrips come to the top pinch them for fun. A week or so and they should be gone with daily applications. They will double monthly it seems if you leave them be. Eventually they eat roots of young plants, and find their way into many buds, albeit stuck to their death. They pop when fired, and taste like crap. Plan B is prepared for you, but I don't think you'll need it.

good luck

Yea I wanted to utilize the lights since they were on I figured why not grow some veggies, don't have no where to put them out side.

Is there anything else I can use? Like I said we just paid bills and don't have a lot of money to buy 3 different things.

are those transparent worms just baby worms ?

it takes them a few days/weeks to gain color. i cant tell how big they are from your photos.

neem oil is pretty cheap, $10 for a bottle. you dont even need a lot of it, like a couple tablespoons!

got any mmj friends in kzoo you can bum a few oz of neem oil off of? theres gotta be a compassion club or even a few members from here willing to help.

bonus, it looks like neem oil wont affect regular earthworms either. thats nice to know.

Edited by t-pain

Air dry some habanero peppers or use a food dehydrator. Use a device like a coffee grinder or small blender to grind into a fine powder. Use just about enough water to cover and simmer for ten to fifteen minutes. Cool. Use gloves throughout and keep your hands away from your face. Used at a rate of two to three drops in 2.5g water at feeding or otherwise watering will help immensely. Because you are already infested, use about double the usual concentration for two or three cycles. Avoid it the last couple of weeks while flushing before harvest. Plants tolerate it with absolutely no problem. Bugs, not so much. Yellow sticky pads will continue to get them and act as an indicator when you need to bump treatment up a little.

Good luck.

diatomaceous earth is also pretty cheap for bug killing, there are food grade versions.

about $10 a bag. throw it all over plants and dirt and the room (but wear eye/breathing protection) as the dust can irritate eyes/lungs.

Edited by t-pain

The picture of the worm is under a USB microscope. They are about 1mm long, and all the darker area's were moving as well like little worms inside the worm.

I wrote a buddy and asked him already but has not replied. Waiting for a friend to stop by so I can get a ride to try and pick something up.

Thanks for all the input, anyone ever try spinosad? I keep seeing stuff about it.

The picture of the worm is under a USB microscope. They are about 1mm long, and all the darker area's were moving as well like little worms inside the worm.

I wrote a buddy and asked him already but has not replied. Waiting for a friend to stop by so I can get a ride to try and pick something up.

Thanks for all the input, anyone ever try spinosad? I keep seeing stuff about it.

Those look like the larval stage of fungus gnat to me.

captian jacks, bt (mosquito dunks), azamax, Gognats(cedar oil) or hydrogen peroxide at about 1% as a drench all work

H202 is my favorite, i find it very satisfying to watch the little bast@rds  melt into the dirt they came from.

Then add bt to water once a week to keep the from coming back. 

Edited by I wood

• 2 months later...

Nematodes are on their way tomorrow for the gnat larvae and any thrips that may be left.  I just had a small bout of thrips and read that they need to get back into the soil to pupate.  By cutting some bug barrier row cover and draping it over the buckets you keep the thrips from being able to make it back to the soil to pupate.  Nice no spray method to rid yourself of thrips.  I cut them into squares and slit them to the middle so you can slide them around the stem and overlap them to keep thrip larvae from making it back to the soil.  It seems to have further reduced the gnat population too.

Edited by Norby

a slice of potato in the plant pot will bring the larvae up to feed, making them easy targets. a small cup of pop will attract any air borne suckers. A neem soil dip is extremely effective at interrupting the breeding cycle of some of these pests, and will not harm your plants. I've mixed up a 5gal pail and dipped whole plant pots in the past.