Suspicious Fire Caused By Medical Marijuana Cardholder 'open Blasting' For Hash Oil, Police Say

Alright, point taken.  How many (esp. given the reports on shoddy extraction practices) would you care to guestimate will endeavor to create this atmosphere?

;)  three here that I know of sadly. not sad that I know of them of course, but sad only a few have gone that route. In a pinch I'd blast outdoors with no worries at all, and indeed have.

creating the atmosphere more expensive than buying it from what I've seen.http://www.tamisiumextractors.com/

This cat perfected the whole experience with a flawless act of marrying physics, chemistry and design, at a reasonable cost. I first saw one in a compounding pharmacy where I worked for......... :hair:

first off what a retard for doing it in his bedroom in his parents house! :yahoo-wave:

yea and the butane heat up with a blow torch is beyond normal thinking.

I dont even like to tell people my method of extracting with butane but I dont use glass to do it, I have been making this stuff since the late 70's early 80's, people used to know what honey dew was, when I started to produce it again people had no clue what it was and had no interest like mal said,,,only older folks know what honey oil is, well only older folks used to know, now since it has become a normal thing for the mm states it has made a come back, im still trying to figure out the dab thing lol!   I guess im old!

I mainly use the sugar leaf's and small budds you would not trim, plus I only do it when I have enough for 2 cases of butane (24 cans) There is no comparison of oil vs budds, warmed or not (budds) although I love the brownies with great sugar leaf's I dont waiste my budds on oil when I have all of the scraps that can be used, when I do enough for 2 cases of butane, I usualy wind up with any where from 13 to 20 grams of oil,  and that oil lasts me longer than an lb of budds, I dont use it every day but I could if I wanted to, I have a vape I use only for oil and I havent used it in at least 2 yrs!  You can eat bho, I eat my bho all the time,  I also put it on a cigerette and it realy realy does the job!

I have 2 extraction tubes one holds 2 oz's and the other 1 oz I use 2 cans of butane for the 2 oz one and one can for the 1 oz one, I have one that holds 4 oz's but I am unable to find the right amount of butane for 1 run through it, when I dump it, it is not wet (frozen) all the way thru, so ive had to run it a 2nd time, I dont like to do that. I also would never heat my oil after it is safe to evape the butane with a torch wtf?  :crazysmile:

after I am done extracting I get hot water from my kitchen sink and let that evape it, I do it a few times and when there is nothing but what looks like oil in it I bring it inside of my home, I put my glass pyrex pan in an electric fry pan with warm water in it and turn it on to warm, I sit there and pop the bubbles and once I feel it is good I pour it into my oil holder (an old milk glass/brillo cream jar) and than I will put it on a coffee cup warmer to heat off the rest of the butane if needed!

You cant compare oil to budds, there is no comparison!

Peace

Am I understanding this correctly ? You use 24 cans of butane through 24 oz. of donor material to end up with 20 grams of oil ?

Edited by knucklehead bob

That's about right, open blasting is extremely wasteful, with a closed loop system the butane can be re-used.

It's just an efficient way to refine your cannabis, you can put a tiny pinsize dot in vitamin capsules, and take your meds that way.

Sativex is made the same way, just using different solvents (possibly).

It's just hash that's been refined to only contain trichomes. The problem is it's an industrial process, and people don't understand how explosive butane gets in a closed environment. The gasses drop straight to the ground and are always trying to find a low point. Blasting outdoors, with basement windows open, can be dangerous as well.

"Butane liquid expands 288:1 when changing from a liquid to a vapor, and Henry’s law tells us that the butane vapor and the air it combines with at 1.86%, expands in direct proportion to their temperature change. Butane in open air has a flame temperature of 1970C/3578F, so for instance if the butane vapor ignited at an ambient temperature of 291 Kelvin (18C/65F), it would expand about 7.2 times.

A 300 ml can of butane occupies about 18 cubic inches, X 288 = 5184 cubic inches.

5184 cubic inches divided by .00186 mixture = 2,787,097 cubic inches

2,787,097 X 7.2 = 20,067,098 cubic inches, or 11,613 cubic feet. With 8 foot ceilings, that is a 1452 square foot house. That expansion occurs in the blink of an eye, so you can see why a room incapable of containing a 1452 square foot house would have to expand its ceiling and walls outward to accommodate it."

The quote is from skunkpharmresearch.com He's been teaching about the dangers, and how to do extractions the right way, he also talks about tinctures, RSO, dry sieving and every other extraction process applicable to cannabis. He also shows the process of building close looped systems. If your put off by the butane, just remember, Olive oil, is made using butane extraction, as well.

Edited by slipstar059

I hate scare stories, but maybe if more people see this, they'd realize how dangerous this is to do in the home. That said, it can be done safely, for the ten people that were burned, there's thousands that follow safety protocols, and extract within closed looped systems, that keep the producers safe.

I also have to make it clear, that I dont make oil myself. I'm waiting for legal definition, before I spend money on classes, and equipment.

Edited by slipstar059

why not just eat the bud, instead of processing the bud into oil and eating the oil?

have you ever eaten raw dried bud?

does it last longer or shorter than a dab or smoking/vaping oil?

Bio-availability.

If the resin is extracted and put in an alcohol or oil solution it's easier for your body to digest and make use of the active ingredients.

Eating the bud you will still get the effects but most of it will just pass through your system without being absorbed. Resin in oil is easily digested and absorbed, especially if lecithin is added to the mix.

Edibles take longer to hit you but last longer than smoking.

post-35225-0-38810900-1382463372_thumb.jpg
post-35225-0-45820200-1382462545_thumb.jpg

(my friend with) a tamisium would use a volume of nbutane weighing 400 grams= the weight of approx. 5 store bought cans- per two ounces of material. This would produce about 10 grams of oil per ea 2oz/400 grams at ideal controlled temperatures. There is no comparison really to open spray with factors like time of exposure, temperature, donor plant material, oil left behind etc. But for thought 24 ounces of plant material buds typically would produce 120ish grams of concrete extraction. Of course only the original 400 grams of nbutane would be used for . Each extraction of 2 ounces would take him one hour for a full degas/recovery/clean out, he never had more than 2 at a time ready to extract. I forgot to add he always used a giant flour sifter with a spinny handle thingy to collect the fine shake before processing. He'd throw the buds, little or small, sticks and daily rolling tray fodder into a large collection jar every day. When it hit the level line it was ground and warmed to 85f. He awaits the day gorilla tactics subside and legality is announced before he primes it up again sadly.

I say dry shakers for everyone!!! 
post-35225-0-87513200-1382463205_thumb.jpghttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pollen+shaker

I would always tell him to quickly process every time he had two ounces of donor material to avoid over weight issues and such, for best results.

first off what a retard for doing it in his bedroom in his parents house! :yahoo-wave:

yea and the butane heat up with a blow torch is beyond normal thinking.

I dont even like to tell people my method of extracting with butane but I dont use glass to do it, I have been making this stuff since the late 70's early 80's, people used to know what honey dew was, when I started to produce it again people had no clue what it was and had no interest like mal said,,,only older folks know what honey oil is, well only older folks used to know, now since it has become a normal thing for the mm states it has made a come back, im still trying to figure out the dab thing lol!   I guess im old!

I mainly use the sugar leaf's and small budds you would not trim, plus I only do it when I have enough for 2 cases of butane (24 cans) There is no comparison of oil vs budds, warmed or not (budds) although I love the brownies with great sugar leaf's I dont waiste my budds on oil when I have all of the scraps that can be used, when I do enough for 2 cases of butane, I usualy wind up with any where from 13 to 20 grams of oil,  and that oil lasts me longer than an lb of budds, I dont use it every day but I could if I wanted to, I have a vape I use only for oil and I havent used it in at least 2 yrs!  You can eat bho, I eat my bho all the time,  I also put it on a cigerette and it realy realy does the job!

I have 2 extraction tubes one holds 2 oz's and the other 1 oz I use 2 cans of butane for the 2 oz one and one can for the 1 oz one, I have one that holds 4 oz's but I am unable to find the right amount of butane for 1 run through it, when I dump it, it is not wet (frozen) all the way thru, so ive had to run it a 2nd time, I dont like to do that. I also would never heat my oil after it is safe to evape the butane with a torch wtf?  :crazysmile:

after I am done extracting I get hot water from my kitchen sink and let that evape it, I do it a few times and when there is nothing but what looks like oil in it I bring it inside of my home, I put my glass pyrex pan in an electric fry pan with warm water in it and turn it on to warm, I sit there and pop the bubbles and once I feel it is good I pour it into my oil holder (an old milk glass/brillo cream jar) and than I will put it on a coffee cup warmer to heat off the rest of the butane if needed!

You cant compare oil to budds, there is no comparison!

Peace

That's about right, open blasting is extremely wasteful, with a closed loop system the butane can be re-used.

It's just an efficient way to refine your cannabis, you can put a tiny pinsize dot in vitamin capsules, and take your meds that way.

Sativex is made the same way, just using different solvents (possibly).

It's just hash that's been refined to only contain trichomes. The problem is it's an industrial process, and people don't understand how explosive butane gets in a closed environment. The gasses drop straight to the ground and are always trying to find a low point. Blasting outdoors, with basement windows open, can be dangerous as well.

"Butane liquid expands 288:1 when changing from a liquid to a vapor, and Henry’s law tells us that the butane vapor and the air it combines with at 1.86%, expands in direct proportion to their temperature change. Butane in open air has a flame temperature of 1970C/3578F, so for instance if the butane vapor ignited at an ambient temperature of 291 Kelvin (18C/65F), it would expand about 7.2 times.

A 300 ml can of butane occupies about 18 cubic inches, X 288 = 5184 cubic inches.

5184 cubic inches divided by .00186 mixture = 2,787,097 cubic inches

2,787,097 X 7.2 = 20,067,098 cubic inches, or 11,613 cubic feet. With 8 foot ceilings, that is a 1452 square foot house. That expansion occurs in the blink of an eye, so you can see why a room incapable of containing a 1452 square foot house would have to expand its ceiling and walls outward to accommodate it."

The quote is from skunkpharmresearch.com He's been teaching about the dangers, and how to do extractions the right way, he also talks about tinctures, RSO, dry sieving and every other extraction process applicable to cannabis. He also shows the process of building close looped systems. If your put off by the butane, just remember, Olive oil, is made using butane extraction, as well.

I don't know the steps in O P's process for extraction . This is 22 + grams of pre-purged B H O from 4 oz. of material shot through a glass tube with 3 cans of butane . Post purge weight was 17.2 grams .

med_gallery_28345_1095_5117437.jpg
Edited by knucklehead bob

I remember back in 09  when a 70 year old women with MS  had one toke of Hash oil,  She let out the hit  and within 20 seconds she jumped up and said this is the best i have felt in over 20 years,  And yes she did try the smoked buds and ate  butter also, But the oil had the best results,  Now she is no longer a patient  she cannot have the oil because of the COA< and she now cannot have any cannabis because of the drug agreement  with the hospital,.  This medicine is great  but they have seemed to take it away from the people that are suffering the worst,  

I don't know the steps in O P's process for extraction . This is 22 + grams of pre-purged B H O from 4 oz. of material shot through a glass tube with 3 cans of butane . Post purge weight was 17.2 grams .

med_gallery_28345_1095_5117437.jpg

Weeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeee!  Gonna havta taste some of that ^^ ;)

That is a fantastic machine grassmatch.

Cost of course will limit people from using such a device imho.

Glass tubes, coffee filters, a few cans of tane is closer to what most can afford.

At least this is my opinion :)

I agree. cheap, accessible, fast with decent results most of the time, cept for the kabooms. I'd bet the number of explosions is actually really low compared to the number of extractions taking place, or people dying from using ibuprofen as directed even. maybe the media takes a cue from anti marijuana advertisers, like their biggest one, RX, to report this way ?( :o)  like a dark theatre, beware, their world is friggn scary

I agree. cheap, accessible, fast with decent results most of the time, cept for the kabooms. I'd bet the number of explosions is actually really low compared to the number of extractions taking place, or people dying from using ibuprofen as directed even. maybe the media takes a cue from anti marijuana advertisers, like their biggest one, RX, to report this way ?( :o)  like a dark theatre, beware, their world is friggn scary

I agree with your entire statement but since the thread is about explosions due to extractions I embolden that part for emphasis :)

I remember back in 09  when a 70 year old women with MS  had one toke of Hash oil,  She let out the hit  and within 20 seconds she jumped up and said this is the best i have felt in over 20 years,  And yes she did try the smoked buds and ate  butter also, But the oil had the best results,  Now she is no longer a patient  she cannot have the oil because of the COA< and she now cannot have any cannabis because of the drug agreement  with the hospital,.  This medicine is great  but they have seemed to take it away from the people that are suffering the worst,  

I agree how long must the sick suffer by the hands of Leo 

All it takes is a handful of people, who don't realize how much caution needs to be taken, and headlines are made. Colorado's market has to be at least 40% oil, and possibly more if we're talking medibles made with oil. Lozenges, and pain creams, would be close to impossible to make without it as well. Thats why brownies and cookies don't make you gag these days. On a side note Sativex, (which is made using a similar process) has just been blocked from sales in the UK, because the cost is prohibitive.