Cannabutter Storage Question

Since thousands of patients across the state have oil on hand I'm sure we will get some further definition of our rights soon. It seems like the best way to go right now is to have some oil on hand and make your edibles with that and eat them up as quick as you make them. Or just eat the oil in a gel cap which should be the same effects as a cookie/candy type thing. 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   No one has any oil on hand. well I guess them legal despenses may :angel:

If most pt/cg's are like me they realy dont make a 55 gallon drum of oil and blow their garage and houses up! :drinking-coffee:

and I say most def just eat it or do what you do with it, I just mix some in peanut butter and eat it, I just had a pb&j with oil in it, I also like to put it on cigerette when I do that I have another cig (unlit) in my other hand or near bye and wipe the access off er exess :rolleyes:

as far as butter goes, I have a little fridge in my locked area, it only has a little freezer in it but I keep most in the fridge, I dont have enough to last along time, and if I did get enough well my scrap guy would have something for his other pt's

I would love to beleive or be of the same mind as zap on the carruthers case, but either way when you make something like butter your adding lb's to your amount count, I dont know about you but I cant have a few lb's in my fridge and most def wouldnt want to be caught with it legal or not, they are going to weigh the whole amount of weight of the butter, not take your word for it that there is only a few grams of oil or a few zips of buddz in that 3 or 4 lbs! and manufacturing!?!?   That word woke me up!

with oil and tinctures you are taking lb's and oz's and turning them into grms,,,,,,,dont realy know about manufacturing lb's vs grms make a dif in the charge but im going for the liquid and gasious form! and I love butter, I have every kinda size containers just a waiting to get filled, premeasured, easy peasy for your recipe's

Peace

Yeah me too.  I think the COA flubbed it.  A "preparation thereof" means a preparation of leaves and flowers.  I don't see how a reasonable mind would conclude that oil is not a preparation of leaves and flowers.  Nonetheless, this is the crap we need to deal with until/if the SC reviews it with a more clear-headed approach.  It appears that the COA says that resin isn't protected.

that is not how zap sees it. what are we missing?

salves are made in all kinds of ways. I guess it would depend on the safety of your salve. what do you eat butter for ?

For pain because puffing is too hard on my lungs even with a vape. I don't want to eat  any solids at this time. Butter is budder. It tastes like AZZ so I mix it with a little coconut oil and gag it down. Those big capsules won't go down my throat.

Doesn't the COA Carruthers decision state that becasue the PHC identifies "resin" distinctly from other parts of the plant and because the MMMA does not, that resin is not protected?

Not sayin' I agree with it, but it deserves some discussion as this would currently be the "law of the land."

sure. lets go into carruthers.

forget all the extracts and resin mumbo jumbo.

"The parties agree, however, as do we, that the brownies did constitute “marihuana” under that term’s statutory definition."

"Therefore, defendant was in possession of an amount of marijuana that

exceeded the amount of usable marijuana he was allowed to possess. "

thats all you need to know. more than 2.5oz of brownie.

try to have less than 2.5 oz of brownie on you and you're good.

i realize the CoA spent 20 pages saying how the brownie was not "usable marihuana" and then applied the limit of the "usable marihuana" 2.5oz to his brownies. but good luck explaining things to the COA...

Edited by t-pain

sure. lets go into carruthers.

forget all the extracts and resin mumbo jumbo.

"The parties agree, however, as do we, that the brownies did constitute “marihuana” under that term’s statutory definition."

"Therefore, defendant was in possession of an amount of marijuana that

exceeded the amount of usable marijuana he was allowed to possess. "

thats all you need to know. more than 2.5oz of brownie.

try to have less than 2.5 oz of brownie on you and you're good.

i realize the CoA spent 20 pages saying how the brownie was not "usable marihuana" and then applied the limit of the "usable marihuana" 2.5oz to his brownies. but good luck explaining things to the COA...

I think there are (at least) two decisions in Carruthers.

1.)  The entire weight of a preparation counts as MJ

2.)  Resin is not considered "usable MJ."  In other words, regardless of weight, if you have resin (pure or used in a recipe) it isn't protected - hence a 2-oz browie made with resin is two oz of "marijuana" and not 2 oz of "usable marijuana."

I would like to ask the COA a question:  What does "a preparation thereof mean?"  "Thereof" means "of the items listed."  So a "preparation thereof" means a preparation made of leaves and/or flowers.  Ok, fine.

A basic rule of statutory interpretation is that if the statute makes a specific statement, then that statement means something.  In other words, absent the "preparation thereof" clause, we'd have to conclude that only unadulterated flowers and leaves are OK.  But since a "preparation" is also OK, then there is some other kind of cannabis concoction that is also OK.  So, what exactly is covered by a "preparation?"  "Give me one example of a "preparation of leaves and/or flowers. - just one example."

i think zap said they are only having trouble with it in one case in livingston county?

and then the prison guard cannabutter case in kent county sounds like another.

there was a user in here who had a similar sounding case (cannabis truffles) but they havent been back here to update us.

one lesson to learn here is make smaller amounts of brownies. just make them smaller brownies as well. why eat 1lbs of brownie when you can make brownie bites, the size of a gumball and get the same effects?

i do not like the taste of cannabutter. blech. someone should have warned me haha.

Yeah - the tase is awful.  I used to make cannabis fruit and nut bars - ground cannabis baked with dried fruits and nuts, a little bit of eggs, some vanilla, salt, and brown sugar.  They actually didn't have a bad taste.  Some patients actually liked the flavors. 

Sadly, I don't thnk the courts can solve this for us.  To do so, they'd probably be legislating from the bench.  We need new legal protections for edibles.

Why would you infuse it into coconut oil? That would just mess it up. Just keep the oil as pure as possible then you can have more and it's better that way anyway. 

Mess it up?  Works quite fine for me.

Makes it easier to dose when you make 20 doses out of a gram of kief or 35 out of a gram of oil. and then there is the bioavailability thing.  Besides that I don't like making oil, I'd rather use kief.  No solvents and I know there isn't anything left behind in the alcohol left in the buds or what stays in the coffee filter, etc.  .05gr is hard to weigh out and store for kief and .025?gr would be even harder for oil.  If I were to make 10mg THC caps from a 21% THC strain that would be 20 caps off of the kief from 1 gr. of bud.  That'd be about 1/4 - 1/3gr kief divided into 20 capsules.  Unless you cut it, it would be very hard to dose correctly.

Edited by Norby

Why would you infuse it into coconut oil? That would just mess it up. Just keep the oil as pure as possible then you can have more and it's better that way anyway. 

Oil by itself is not easily digested and most of it will pass through the digestive system unused.

The addition of coconut oil makes easier for your body to digest it. Lecithin also greatly enhances the effect of edibles.

Oil by itself is not easily digested and most of it will pass through the digestive system unused.

The addition of coconut oil makes easier for your body to digest it. Lecithin also greatly enhances the effect of edibles.

I don't find that to be true with the oil I make Bill. Not a single patient who has tried it had any problem having it work for them 'as is'. I use some heat, not over 220 F, in the extraction process. 

Also,

My comment was mostly directed at the legality problem and the mass of the oil being added to while it's waiting to be used. Not a good thing when it's not necessary. You could keep the oil pure and eat whatever you think necessary along with the pure oil at the time of usage. 

Edited by Restorium2

The prison guard cannabutter case is not about cannabutter. A similar sequence of events would have occurred if it was plain flower.

what is that case about then? why arent they getting sec8 hearings?

sorry, i have not seen the court documents and the media reports are all full of misinformation.

i do not like the taste of cannabutter. blech. someone should have warned me haha.

cannabutter made with buds, or made with extraction? when bud is gently sifted through a screen and the trichomes are knocked off, placed into the butter the stuff actually tastes like a floral delight(to us), unless burned while heating.

adding a little water to the pan will regulate the temps below 212 keeping it form burning. when finished and cooled the water naturally separates from the butter and can be poured off.

Edited by grassmatch

the problem may have been that the butter was unsalted butter and not sweet butter. or vice versa, its been a while.

i just got super sick of the flavor of bud mixed with butter. i eat hemp oil though, so probably next time will do oil extraction instead of butter.

my advice to anyone is just make smaller amounts with higher concentrations.

otherwise you end up with 8oz of butter that tastes like azz. put it on a piece of bread? yuck. put it in tea? yuck. bake it into things or candy too.

Edited by t-pain

• 4 months later...

yeeeuck. finally finished my butter (and my caramels). i melted it with caramels and the caramels absorbed most of the butter. but i had some butter left over.

no problems with the butter in long term storage. for the last year i've had it in the freezer. no problems otherwise. wouldnt recommend storing butter as it will put you over your limits quickly.

Edited by t-pain