2014: The “State” Of Pain In Michigan

t-pain

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/ACPSM_State_of_Pain_Report_to_Directors_Sept._2014_469555_7.pdf

Pain is a significant public health problem in Michigan and beyond. The American Academy of Pain Medicine reports that in 2011 at least 100 million adult Americans had chronic pai conditions. (1) In Michigan, with a population of about 10 million citizens, up to 3 million persons live with daily chronic pain

To relate Michigan’s prescribing practices to other states, in July 2014 the U.S. Center for Disease Control released a comparison of 2012 painkiller prescriptions per state. Michigan ranked in the highest category of prescriptions per person when compared to other states: 107 painkiller prescriptions written per 100 Michigan Residents

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me so mad that my doctors were so willing to pass out pain pills like candy, but when I mentioned MM they said that was a bad idea. Well after being on them all and going through the most wicked c/t withdrawal from said pain pills I decided that I would forget what my doctor said and get some real medicine that isn't going to put me in such a panic state of withdrawal.   I am excited to see what the future brings.

It makes me so mad that my doctors were so willing to pass out pain pills like candy, but when I mentioned MM they said that was a bad idea. Well after being on them all and going through the most wicked c/t withdrawal from said pain pills I decided that I would forget what my doctor said and get some real medicine that isn't going to put me in such a panic state of withdrawal.   I am excited to see what the future brings.

Hello Pam... I am excited for you!  Welcome and best to you :)

Many thanks to t-pain for the initial post and Zap's comment.

I've printed a copy of t-pain's link and have included it with a note to my (Republican) State Senator and Representative suggesting as Zap mentioned Michigan's high levels of pain prescriptions would possibly much worse without MMJ; and wondering why any party of based on the tenets of small government and individual responsibility insists on violating its basic principles by supporting a big government arrest-and-punishment Prosecutory.

It is worth mentioning that Michigan averages two unintended prescription drug overdose deaths each DAY; over seven-hundred each year and our state still spends billions on Cannabis prohibition.

What do you suppose would happen if two bodies washed up on Michigan's Great Lakes shorelines each and every day under any other circumstances?