Religious Protections Bill...

theworldisyou

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2014/12/04/religious-protections-pass-michigan-house-committee/19888669/ 

Does anyone know if this means that we can now claim to be rastafarian and smoking is part of our religious act? I'm not sure of the new state guidelines yet but based on the research it was done federally when Clinton passed a similiar law in ~93 but was overturned a few years later saying it was up to the states. Now that Michigan is one of those states, I think it might apply, Any thoughts? 

other links related or just google religious protections bill rastafarians 

http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/nfs-regs/plunker4.html

http://minneapoliscriminallawyer.liberty-lawyer.com/2013/09/24/religious-use-of-marijuana-defense-prevails-in-minnesota-rastafarian-case/

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/news/rfra_rasta.htm

Rep. Vicki Barnett, D-Farmington Hills, said the legislation could create a new right for service providers to discriminate against people who don't adhere to their religious beliefs. She cited a scenario in which a pharmacist could refuse to dispense drugs to an individual who's personal decisions don't match the teachings of their faith.

It means merchants can discriminate against you because you are a Rastafarian without fear of government prosecution.

Does anyone know if this means that we can now

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billengrossed/House/htm/2014-HEBH-5958.htm

it means that the bill passed the house.

michigan has 2 houses of legislature and the governor before a bill can become law.

so this bill has the pass the senate first.

today is december 5, the final day of the senate is december 18th i think.

they have 13 days to pass this thing in the senate, and then the house has to vote on it again.

THEN the bill is submitted to the governor to sign or veto.

the legislature seems to think passing a bunch of bills in a rush at the end of december is a good idea. thats why we live in michissippi and not a state that can actually fix roads, increase minimum wage to a liveable wage, protect some wolves, or fix any real problems the citizens encounter on a regular basis.

to answer your question, the bill as written does nothing to protect anyone or anything. it looks like a selective enforcement religious freedom bill. for example something like 'the government will not step on religious rights (unless the government has to)'. well obviously that means it wont step on catholic rights, but it will step on muslim or rastafarian rights, just because, right?

imo the bill just a fluffy piece of poop that wont flush down the toilet.

its there to make the church people happy. it was offered up to go with another bill so that the republicans didnt look like democrats when they passed legislation to increase protections from bullying gays and lesbians and transgenders under the elliot larson act.

of course, the republicans torpedoed those bills that would ban discrimination against LGBT,

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_lame-duck_watch_gay_r.html

so the religious freedom bills continue without them.

if you want to sink this bill, start talking to your reps and asking them when the muslims can use this bill to make sharia law happen lol.

Edited by t-pain

to answer your question, the bill as written does nothing to protect anyone or anything.

imo the bill just a fluffy piece of poop that wont flush down the toilet.

its there to make the church people happy. it was offered up to go with another bill so that the republicans didnt look like democrats when they passed legislation to __________ (i forgot what, either something to do with birth control medicine or some other silly billy thing)

if you want to sink this bill, start talking to your reps and asking them when the muslims can use this bill to make sharia law happen lol.

Now that is a proper monkey wrench. It's all about timing when you apply the wrench. I would say this is the perfect timing for that wrench. 

"republicans in the house pass bill to ensure sharia law happens in michigan"

They are squabbling their arses off right now. Might as well add some more fuel to the fire. So far we avoided the gas tax ..... If we had decent players I wouldn't recommend the Scorched Earth Plan. Anything these guys pass is going to stink to the high heavens. 

thats the thing, bills come out of the house looking innocent / broken / poorly written and unclear. bills come out of the senate looking like the devil.

sink the ship and burn the bridges. its not going to be pretty after it gets out of the senate.

what i think we need to remember is not what the bill is going to do for us, but what the bill is going to do to our tax dollars. you think no church is going to sue the govt? no. all church and businesses will sue the govt claiming the govt has stepped on their toes to discriminate against women, birth control, or the businesses abilities to discriminate.

whats that mean? our tax dollars go to fight these guys. in court. for years.

until it reaches the fed courts and its deemed unconstitutional, just like gay marriage bans and other discriminatory laws that the legislature has passed.

thats what really pisses me off is the legislature doesnt care that it passes unconstitutional laws that take 10 years to get tossed out, costing millions and millions of dollars because bill schuette fought them in federal court against some discriminated person for no good reason.

even if you hate the gays, or the birth control / abortion whatever.

do you really want your tax dollars going to fight it in court?

let other religious states fight this crap, michigan has enough problems to deal with.

Even after it was proven unconstitutional our governor still asked our local courts to do a 'work around' for him so he could continue to limit gays' rights. 

(2) Government may substantially burden a person's exercise of

religion only if it demonstrates that application of the burden to

that person's exercise of religion in that particular instance is

both of the following:

(a) In furtherance of a compelling governmental interest.

(b) The least restrictive means of furthering that compelling

governmental interest.

makes the entire bill null imo.

Time to start joining the Native American Church boys. Anyone can join, then you can start discriminating against people that don't smoke herb, or use peyote ceremonially. Me being an atheist, I'm poop out of luck, looks like I can't discriminate against anyone. I can't wait till Muslim gas station owners stop selling gas and groceries to unveiled women. Do Christians really think this is solely their bill?

Edited by slipstar059

Do Christians really think this is solely their bill?

Probably. Everyone they know is the same religion as them so they think the whole world is too. I've had discussions with the nimrods who want prayer in schools. They are invariably fundamentalist Christians.

I always ask if it should be prayer according to the prevailing religion in the school district and they always say "of course".

My response is then, "So the kids in Dearborn should kneel to the east everyday in school?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I wonder if they'll still think it's a good idea when people start posting "No Christians Allowed" signs.

Edited by Wild Bill