Lights

YesMichigan

This is my first system, I run a inline fan intake of cooler air from another room, keeps temps in the 70's.....

cost wise with other equipment running its cost effective

Can I ask electric bill? Do you need a dehumidifier? I'm thinking a much smaller setup. four or five in veg / taking root and three or four flowering is my idea for now. Keeps me way legal and hopefully will result in less smell and environmental change.

Electric runs about 120 a month, all 6 lights, i a humidifier and a filter with fan, one in line fan, 2 oscillating fans.

With 4 in flowering should only need two Led lights( I have Agromax, six band), 4 LED lights runs 1000 watts. 

Yep keep the plants small in veg and you should be way legal. :))

Edited by fishhead

Electric runs about 120 a month, all 6 lights, i a humidifier and a filter with fan, one in line fan, 2 oscillating fans.

With 4 in flowering should only need two Led lights( I have Agromax, six band), 4 LED lights runs 1000 watts. 

Yep keep the plants small in veg and you should be way legal. :))

Thank you so much. You gave me some good information. I am curious what other people's electric bills are when using HPS or MH. I know this is sensitive information for some people but I would love a comparison point further than the one or two examples I have heard of.

I think a challenge for c.gs is growing in small spaces and inconspicuously. There was another thread discussing what c.g. parents should do to help their children. I think these LED light setups are the answer for smaller grows designed for specific results. I read GrassMatch's vacation situation and know that I can't be a c.g. for more than one person in addition to myself. The time factor is amazing and is the part that legislators, LEO and patients forget. This "Chia pet" growing delusion that people seem to be under must get frustrating.

For me the cost of growing far out weights the cost of getting meds else where.....I did have a cg (who moved and had a donation amount that I now know was way to high). I choose to grow for others because I know 1st hand the expense of being hurt and sick, If I can help someone I will, anything less should be a crime.  We shouldn't have to go broke just to feel better. imho

For me the cost of growing far out weights the cost of getting meds else where.....I did have a cg (who moved and had a donation amount that I now know was way to high). I choose to grow for others because I know 1st hand the expense of being hurt and sick, If I can help someone I will, anything less should be a crime.  We shouldn't have to go broke just to feel better. imho

I have computed how much I would require for a year and the amount is rather small. I am trying to figure out how to make that an advantage so I can have more strains with fewer costs. I have this dream of a small area that has three or four flowering plants all at various stages of finishing that I can trim from as my medical needs require. I do still want to go out of town to kayak, ATV and snowboard for many days at a time. The life of a c.g. means this eternal question of "next batch" and "vacation" is always being played out. Especially with the state's very restrictive "assistance" policy.

I am like you. I would rather handle it myself and not rely on others as well as getting more knowledge. It's like fixing my car. I have to pay someone else extra money so I can deny myself a chance to learn something. We are in complete agreement on helping people. A good friend of mine still thanks me for helping his brother live and preserve a more dignified end long before California legalized for medicinal use. The crime perpetrated everyday is at the Federal level not with the citizens. End Schedule I classification immediately - it is unconstitutional and immoral.

• 4 weeks later...

that ghost is consistently the most unpleasantly potent cultivar I've sampled. enjoy!

I'll stay kinda OT and say that it is growing more wide than tall with the LED. 

I like the Ghost,but it lacks in flavor. My favorite is a GG#4  Ghost OG hybrid - for flavor, potency and duration.

I hope the flavor is great on the Ghost Train.  Hoping for Haze flavor.

Your tolerance is going to go up kind of fast.  You'll need more than you think you do, at first.

edit:  I'd suggest 400 watt hps for a light smoker and 1,000 watt hps for a heavy smoker.  As far as estimates.  I read it in a book once 20 years ago, and it's been fairly accurate.

I have computed how much I would require for a year and the amount is rather small. I am trying to figure out how to make that an advantage so I can have more strains with fewer costs. I have this dream of a small area that has three or four flowering plants all at various stages of finishing that I can trim from as my medical needs require. I do still want to go out of town to kayak, ATV and snowboard for many days at a time. The life of a c.g. means this eternal question of "next batch" and "vacation" is always being played out. Especially with the state's very restrictive "assistance" policy.

I am like you. I would rather handle it myself and not rely on others as well as getting more knowledge. It's like fixing my car. I have to pay someone else extra money so I can deny myself a chance to learn something. We are in complete agreement on helping people. A good friend of mine still thanks me for helping his brother live and preserve a more dignified end long before California legalized for medicinal use. The crime perpetrated everyday is at the Federal level not with the citizens. End Schedule I classification immediately - it is unconstitutional and immoral.

Edited by greenleaf

I'll stay kinda OT and say that it is growing more wide than tall with the LED. 

I like the Ghost,but it lacks in flavor. My favorite is a GG#4  Ghost OG hybrid - for flavor, potency and duration.

I hope the flavor is great on the Ghost Train.  Hoping for Haze flavor.

I don't use led in flower, but the Ghost grows up to around 6 feet tall, with a heavy yield here. The flavor is complex, definitely hazey, with some pine sol scents. In full flower it smells like a musky ben gay with a lemon spritz. More flavor/full expressions will be had with a full spectrum light source. I've seen improvements in a led grow with a couple t5's added in flower. more finishes here in about 45 days I think

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the deal with LED. They are logistically wrong. Meaning light uniformity is absolutely horrible and the manufactures know and admit this. At least the honest ones do. most highest wattage panels having only 4x4 foot print. 

Having all the Diodes bunched up like that is wrong.

Phillips lighting. They are now producting LED's for the commercial greenhouse market and put thousands of these lights in greenhouses for crops that don't sell for 3000-4000 a pound...They know there bunny muffin. http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/application_areas/horticultural/index_en.wpd

If you look at the vegetable and flower greenhouse lighting arraignments that Phillips has on there site. They are still using HPS in between and LED as supplemental.

I have been growing under lights for about a decade now and have used just about every light/ballast/reflector out there including spending $4000 on Led's  once upon a time. The highest quality flowers with the lowest cost of production came from my last three runs under Gavita 1000DE fixtures. Pulled in 1.5 GPW every time. Using super efficient DC inverter mini split, dehumidifier, 3 wall mount fans, inline fan/filter, sealed room with bottled co2, and TLO no till soil. It cost me $12 dollars to produce an ounce of indoor.

you got it down man ! 12 bucks an ounce is a good low price. you'll have to send some samples my way for evaluation!! lol

if LED's were working as needed every commercial grower would be using them for climate control savings alone I think.

a thousand watt led uses the same amount of power as a 1000 watt hps, but the hps covers a larger area, forces a complete photosynthesis, facilitates a full expression, and is a closer spectrum of par lighting of all.  These photosynthesis proofs can be seen using a refractometer and plant samples. The brix readings will immediately show an inefficient "burn". The plants look wonderful though, and led will assist in a grower making hash tips in flower, for the spectrums it provides.

onlymyopinionsandeveryoneknowsthosedontmatter

Edited by grassmatch

Fishhead has some pictures posted and looks to have a pretty LED setup and outcome. Interested to see Greenleaf's pictures in the near future. I like pictures.

You like pics? Check this LED grow out.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-progress/228875-g8-600-doc-bud-tries-led-again-14.html

And here...

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-progress/228875-g8-600-doc-bud-tries-led-again-18.html

those are fine pics for sure. read on and notice the op "cant wait for more powerful led's" even though claiming the ones he's using are outperforming gram per watt with half of the electricity. and later when asked about figuring out when the plant was finished he stated " since my trichomes don't really turn amber anymore..."

this is the key here. The trichomes are tickled by uv rays to protect the plant with oils. If those "rays" are not present those trichomes will not fully express =to protect themselves from the invasive penetrating uv rays of hid lighting or the sun.

I've got a small fortune on a shelf in the barn hoping for success. I will say if I was hiding my grow, or only growing for myself indoors, led may be the way to go. I did side by side 1000 watt to 1000 watt grows and got to see it with my own eyes. the plants are beautiful, smaller, less expressed, but acceptable. in my experience only. I don't know anyone still trying led's. I wish they worked as expected, that's all that counts.

me has, no vid though.

my experience showed me unburned carbs in my led grown flowers at finish.

an extended dry time smoothed the inhale, but I wont ever do it again.

I chalked up my LED dollars to a learning experience, like schooling.

they make nice party lights now, albeit expensive, and funny looking with burned out lights

on a thousand dollar unit.

i use led for veg.i have used led for flower.the newer lights are great for flower if you use the right ones.it is easier and cheaper to use hps.the cheapest and best way to do leds is make your own .google led cob.it takes some research but it is very easy to make a led cob light.there is only 4 parts to a cob light.the led cob chip,the driver ,the heatsink and the cooling fan.leds are the best way to veg imho and i have not flowered with just the new cobs yet but have used with hps.

me has, no vid though.my experience showed me unburned carbs in my led grown flowers at finish.an extended dry time smoothed the inhale, but I wont ever do it again.I chalked up my LED dollars to a learning experience, like schooling.they make nice party lights now, albeit expensive, and funny looking with burned out lightson a thousand dollar unit.

I ended up being able to resell the led panels I had on eBay. Still lost a good bit of money. But I used it as a learning experience as well.

I should add that our results/grow habits/successes are probably all over the map. Considering the "quality"  and "potency" of  our grown cannabis is subjective in itself.

what really matters is how this wonderful natural plant can benefit our experience.  If one cat is rockin it with a couple ufo's and is happy with the result, awesome!

I knew someone who swore by cfl bulbs. I almost fell for it. even wasted time with 'em. he loved his product, and the local dispensary always took whatever he had.

it all tasted like a moldy carrot dipped in molasses, looked good though. "He put carrots in his jars, and used molasses at every watering" 

his net advice was....... well, easy guess.

my advice for first time growers is to grow exactly as directed in a good manual. Experimenting with new stuff is a blast, and best utilized in a corner of an already successful garden, for best results. 

Edited by grassmatch

as long as Brix readings don't concern a grower, LED lights are awesome for gardening.

I bet in a few years they will be better than HID lighting, but then again, I heard that near ten years ago.

I made best use of them as a supplemental lighting in flower, particularly when I became interested in Hash Tips.

the tanning bulb was more suited though, and showed expression in just a few days to a finishing plant. LED lighting is what inspired me to seek

alternative UV treatments in flower.