180 Marijuana Dispensaries Pop Up In Detroit: ‘This Is The Next Big Thing In The City’

DETROIT (WWJ) - One of the fastest growing businesses in the Motor City has many residents raising concerns: Medical marijuana dispensaries.

“This is the next big thing in the city of Detroit,” said Councilman James Tate. “It’s quiet for folks who are not really paying attention, but everyday it seems like another business is opening up.”

Tate told WWJ’s Charlie Langton the number of medical marijuana dispensaries within city limits is “staggering.”

“The estimate is 180 medical marijuana dispensaries within the city of Detroit,” he said. “I’ve counted 13 in District One myself. We see some locations, certainly along 8 Mile and other border streets, where you have four, five, six kind of clustered together.”

Even though state law allows registered patients to use marijuana for medical purposes, dispensaries have gone largely unregulated.

“I’m for compassionate care but am also concerned about the over saturation of them,” Tate said. “These buildings, they have now just started popping up everywhere and because the state law is not clear on if they’re allowed or not, we take these businesses to court and they just get tied up and they just stay there. We have not won not one case, nothing has been shut down and that’s the reason why. Most of these businesses don’t have a permit, they have no licensing.”

Aside from legal issues, Tate said he’s also concerned about community members who live near the dispensaries.

“We’ve got a lot of complaints about it but some of that is emotional because they just don’t like the issue. The other part of it is people are not educated on it,” he said. “It’s not about being against it. It’s about making sure that we’re able to regulate it in a way that ensures the best quality of life for the residents who live in that area.”

Tate said their hands are basically tied until lawmakers in Lansing can refine the medical marijuana law and include measures about dispensaries.

“We’re trying to get state law clarified to allow us to provide the tools necessary for our law enforcement to go in and regulate those businesses,” he said. “But it’s a lot bigger than just Detroit and we’re going to need some support from around the state.”

Well, this is really funny to me. While everyone else in the state thinks and acts as if dispensaries are illegal, Detroit says that they are unable to legally enforce the shutting down of dispensaries.

OK. Who is right here? Are dispensaries in a legal limbo?

Only if someone opens one will they find out Imo

FYI, the police forces and sheriff's departments in the tri-county metro area collaborate on larger scale medical marijuana issues when needed. Macomb gets involved as well. I have no specific information on this particular assertion, but believe it could be done, and would be a priority of both organizations (DPD and NET)

According to bobs post, sources have already confirmed the partnership and plan. just curious if there is an article or source he is referencing, or if it's just some facebook rumor

I am not sure if people would know when there is a real plan. This smacks of a leak/rumor (by police or a dispensary) to try to intimidate dispensaries into closing.

I do know Detroit has sent cease and desist letters to several dispensaries recently.

Heard this same report.  The shops that I was told about were ones on the Macomb and Oakland border, i.e. 8 mile.

Heard this same report.  The shops that I was told about were ones on the Macomb and Oakland border, i.e. 8 mile.

I did notice one of these places took their "menu" down from a website that used to be kept very current around the same time.

Oakland and Macomb County get off on this stuff. A chance for flak jackets and shotguns! What percentage of the take do you think Oakland and Macomb get if they do a "Tri-County" taskforce? Time and Materials or think they can get some "alternative" funding from the raids and confiscations? T&M is a pretty sweet deal to alleviate some strain on County budget for the "operators".

Will of the sheeple be done. All I can say is "baaahhhhh"

detroit has had some problems with raiding dispensaries.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/08/11/fbi-investigating-detroit-cops-accused-of-stealing-drug-evidence-cash/

so the fbi is investigating drug squad now , which means the cops arent going to do all that work while the fbi is sniffing around.

probably whats happening now is the cops are doing shakedowns of dispensaries. the disps who pay up are allowed to keep going, the ones who arent paying up are being put on 'the list' so whenever this oakland county thing comes around they will be the ones targeted.

also i'm guessing kym worthy (detroit city prosecutor) isnt wasting time on dispensaries.

also probably proposal M is helping in some small way as well.

i dunno, just guessing.

I am curious the percentage of dispensaries copying cards and keeping them on file. Not sure what benefit there is to a citizen with DPD or NET having that information.

I am unaware of any dispensaries that do not make and retain copies of customers' cards and sometimes other info.

Both buyers and sellers are counting on the budtender to protect this info. I bet nobody cares of the dime a time patients

but leo surely pays attention to those supplying the dispensary..

Maybe that's the time to use fake paperwork eh? wonder if that's illegal to do, sell marijuana to a dispensary while pretending to be someone else....buwaaahaha

I am curious the percentage of dispensaries copying cards and keeping them on file. Not sure what benefit there is to a citizen with DPD or NET having that information.

I am unaware of any dispensaries that do not make and retain copies of customers' cards and sometimes other info.

Both buyers and sellers are counting on the budtender to protect this info. I bet nobody cares of the dime a time patients

but leo surely pays attention to those supplying the dispensary..

Maybe that's the time to use fake paperwork eh? wonder if that's illegal to do, sell marijuana to a dispensary while pretending to be someone else....buwaaahaha

Medical marijuana dispensaries are not going away in Detroit, or the rest of Michigan. The State of Michigan needs to realize this. So rather than act like they don’t exist, or selectively enforcing laws against them, Michigan’s Legislature needs to step up and put a real plan in place. Everyday that goes by that they don’t the State of Michigan loses out on tax revenue and licensing fees. The dispensaries are going to exist regardless of what the Michigan Legislature does, so why not regulate them? Last time I checked the State of Michigan, and especially Detroit, need every dollar they can get.

Medical marijuana dispensaries are not going away in Detroit, or the rest of Michigan. The State of Michigan needs to realize this. So rather than act like they don’t exist, or selectively enforcing laws against them, Michigan’s Legislature needs to step up and put a real plan in place. Everyday that goes by that they don’t the State of Michigan loses out on tax revenue and licensing fees. The dispensaries are going to exist regardless of what the Michigan Legislature does, so why not regulate them? Last time I checked the State of Michigan, and especially Detroit, need every dollar they can get.

Detroit needs every dollar they can get. Which means if Macomb and Oakland County call up with a plan to confiscate stuff from some of the few businesses in Detroit that have stuff to take (not owned by Gilbert or Illitch) then they will be all ears.

They can take money from the status quo until it pleases them no longer and then make the arrests. The rule of law and other people's freedom means nothing to these people. If you live in Oakland or Macomb County you can sleep comfortably knowing your Sheriff hates you and any relief you receive under the MMA.

If you're in Macomb County the Sheriff is upset that your medicinal marijuana is allowed to "stay out on the street."

"This has been a challenge for law enforcement because our job has always been: take the drugs off the street, make the community safe. Now we are running into traffic stops and sticky situations where we are coming across marijuana in the community and individuals do have medical marijuana cards and we have to allow that medical marijuana to stay out on the street," Macomb County Sheriff Anthony M. Wickersham  http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2011/04/19/life/doc4da5bcb0685e5036783455.txt?viewmode=3

If you're in Oakland county you should already be familiar with "famed anti-marijuana activist sheriff from Oakland County, Michael Bouchard." That guy doesn't just hate you, he hates the fact that you have a right to existence. If you encounter this "person" or any associated with him proceed with caution and assume them to be armed, dangerous and threats to your personal freedom. Better yet, stay the hell out of Oakland County at all costs if you believe in self-determination.

dpd chief james craig was chief while the number of disps ballooned in LA from 40 to 1700. He was also the police chief when the new mayor and city council side stepped craig and publicly invited in dea, who busted the number down from 1400 to about the original 40 (who were grand-fathered in).  craig personally thinks if ur not squeaky-clean and licensed you shud be closed...as he's said on radio here in Detroit.....he just at the moment has much higher priorities for his men...

Now then.  oakland county (brooks patterson) has no higher priority than busting balls in detroit, the sister-biiitch ruining the pristine view of New York...if this happens it will be the brooks show carried out workman-like by craig run by net or dea or some driving force other than craig, who will simply cooperate.

i closed in 2011 when the view was for a couple hundred disps in three years.  Likely craig isn't going to move on anything politically hurtful, when he can do nothing, and not be hurt.  so 500 disps in detroit in 3 years is pretty much asssured.