Libertarians Rule, Ds And Rs Drool...

Well Vermont polotics is pretty different, I wouldn't say they are the same D.  Minnesota's law you'll take?  3 of those are the worst in the country.  Seems to me D's are trying to head things off and slow them down in a lot of ways.

I'm looking at them now. figuring out which are proposals, initiatives, etc.  and it doesn't look good for what they've passed.

Edited by Norby

Don't get too high on it.  The bar isn't that high comparing to the republicans.

And they still haven't done anything.  Where has one med law come from the gov't?  

Rhode Island, Illinois, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New mexico, New York, Vermont.

I am offering a double check on it, but iam pretty sure I have the right states that legislatively passed their laws.

Slightly democratic states. ;-)

I would say the quality of legislatively passed laws covers the spectrum from best to worst. They were passed by Democratic legislatures, and in the case of Rhode Island(and one other I think) signed by a republican governor(Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island).  The Dems in Rhode Island had a veto proof majority, so it didn't matter if he signed or not.

But,.. I was simply answering your question there.  A good chunk of medical laws have been passed by democrats.

I'll give you that but...

There is no party "for" MJ there is one party who will allow it it certain circumstances but neither advocates for it.  Still the lesser of 2 evils.  "We" have no party, we have one who tolerates us for votes  They are definitely not the "saviors" some would tout them as.  Just a different side of the same coin.

Edited by Norby

Generally, we agree Norby.  I just give credit where credit is due. 

We have been working the Republicans in the state and there is change happening.  Some republicans are softening their views.

But if Michigan Republicans pass a reasonable dispensary bill and a fix for medibles,.... they will be the first/second state where republicans have actually improved a medical cannabis law.  Nevada would be first, but it wasn't 100% republican. Michigan would be first with 100% republican.

But, Nevada basically lost home growing because of it, so was it an improvement?(not in my book)... so judge its worth from republicans. And be wary about Michigan republicans.  Vigilant no less.

Believe me, I'm for republicans much less(if that makes sense).  I agree that we agree, it's just the focus.  You want to focus they have done something i want to focus they haven't done near enough for my point of view.  I think we have against and well maybe that's ok and no one "for" us.

Edited by Norby

Not to mention Democrats are overall more reasonable, less bossy, nosey, and authoritarian on all points.

"Overall more reasonable" I totally agree with. When you find a message board such as this you know (hope?) the organizer isn't a Republican.

From telling me how large my pop can be to whether or not I have the right to defend my family "all points" is hyperbole to me.

This thread got rather productive in debate. That's cool - Having read two pages I see people trying to make the lesser evil appear to be "good". That's awesome.

We're all humans. We'll be dust in the blink of the universe's eye. D, R or L don't matter. What binds the forum users here is that most believe liberty and freedom trumps archaic devices of subordination.

Y'all are beautiful people - I've said before that I belong to no political party. I don't usually like Libertarians because they are weirder than me often times. Great find CristenW on Rand Paul! That's the kind of stuff I like to be refuted with. I've been living with the shame of this society since I was 8 years old. When I got a glimpse of how corrupt the system is, I saw the movie Brubaker which got me investigating, The Jericho Mile, Escape from Alcatraz and a myriad others. They taught us that the worst thing that could happen was getting sent to prison. Then I learned there is a system that feeds on sending (what I consider to be) innocent people to jail.

I know many think it absurd but I live it every day. "If you are for the imprisonment of drug users we have nothing in common and will not be friends." - Taking fundamental liberty away from a person who has done harm to NO ONE ELSE is indicative of megalomania and is as evil an act as any could commit. I walk out of the voter's booth with a lot of blank spaces on my ballot because I won't vote for "the lesser of two evils".

By MAUREEN HAYDEN | Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:15 am

INDIANAPOLIS — State Sen. Karen Tallian posted details of her plan to allow medicinal use of marijuana on Facebook this week, drawing thousands of supportive comments.

The Democrat had given up a years-long push to decriminalize the drug, instead narrowing her focus to making pot a legal painkiller when prescribed by doctors for certain life-threatening or debilitating conditions.

“At least we can make the exception for compassionate use,” Tallian said of Indiana’s law forbidding marijuana use. “Anyone who has terminal cancer deserves all the help they can get.”

But as more states loosen their laws, it may be harder for the lawmaker from Ogden Dunes to make her case.

Some potential allies in the GOP-controlled Legislature say reports of problems and pot-related crime in states with liberalized marijuana laws may chill the conversation in Indiana.

“If you look at states that have medical marijuana or have legalized marijuana, they’ve made a mockery of it,” said state Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford. “They’ve actually tainted the well for states that want to take a more legitimate look at this issue.”

Steele, the influential conservative who heads the Senate Judiciary Committee, stunned fellow Republicans two years ago when he came out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. At the time he likened Indiana’s pot laws — then some of the toughest in nation — to “smashing an ant with sledgehammer.”

He argued it was time to rethink the law, including the ban on medicinal use of marijuana.

He’s given up the argument, at least temporarily. Steele said he won’t co-author Tallian’s medical marijuana bill — which represents a blow to the Democratic lawmaker who needs some Republican support just to get a hearing.

Steele cites California and Colorado as two states that rushed to loosen their laws without considering the unintended consequences.

Colorado opened the door to medical marijuana dispensaries in 2010, and two years later moved to legalize recreational marijuana. Two neighboring states, Nebraska and Oklahoma, are now suing Colorado, alleging they’re being overrun with its marijuana, making it harder for them to enforce their own laws.

Colorado’s neighbors cite a recent report by that found the amount of Colorado pot seized on highways in the region increased from an annual average of 2,763 pounds between 2005 and 2008 to an average of 3,690 pounds from 2009 to 2013. The marijuana was headed for at least 40 different states.

In California, which passed the nation’s first medical marijuana law, critics have cited a rise in emergency room visits due to overdoses of edible marijuana, and they fault regulations that allow holistic healers to dispense pot from thousands of street-corner dispensaries.

Steele said authors of the California and Colorado laws were “stupid” in their approach.

“That doesn’t make it easier for anybody else,” he said.

He fears Tallian’s task may be impossible.

“That’s what she’s strapped with: Trying to come up with a bill that’s so tight that it can’t be made a mockery of,” he said. “That’s going to be tough for her to do, she’s got an uphill climb.”

Tallian calls her legislation “conservative” and a “small step” toward legalizing medical marijuana. It would create an agency, the Department of Marijuana Enforcement, that would issue cards to medically eligible users. It also creates an advisory committee to study the effectiveness of the program.

She said the bill allows state research institutions and the pharmacology industry to study the efficacy of cannabis for medical purposes.

The proposal’s fate likely lies in the hands of Republican state Sen. Mike Young, chairman of the Senate Corrections and Criminal Law Committee. Young hasn’t decided whether to hear the bill, but he, too, is concerned about mistakes made by other states. He’s asked his staff to research what happened in Colorado and California.

Young could stall the bill until a future session, to await an Indiana University School of Medicine study on marijuana’s impact on the brain. That isn’t expected to be completed for at least a year.

Meanwhile, the state Prosecuting Attorneys Council is also calling for more study of liberalized marijuana laws in other states before moving forward.

“The smart thing for us to do is to watch how things progress in other states that have changed their marijuana laws,” said council executive director Dave Powell.

Tallian doesn’t think Hoosiers are willing to wait long. On her Facebook page, supporters have posted heart-wrenching stories of family members who suffered through painful cancer treatments and might have found relief through marijuana.

Like Steele, she faults California and Colorado. But she’s convinced Indiana can do it differently.

“We have the ability to learn from what these other states have done. We don’t need to wait.”

— Maureen Hayden is the state reporter for the CNHI newspapers in Indiana. Reach her at mhayden@cnhi.com. Follow her on Twitter @MaureenHayden

By MAUREEN HAYDEN | Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:15 am

INDIANAPOLIS — State Sen. Karen Tallian posted details of her plan to allow medicinal use of marijuana on Facebook this week, drawing thousands of supportive comments.

The Democrat had given up a years-long push to decriminalize the drug, instead narrowing her focus to making pot a legal painkiller when prescribed by doctors for certain life-threatening or debilitating conditions.

“At least we can make the exception for compassionate use,” Tallian said of Indiana’s law forbidding marijuana use. “Anyone who has terminal cancer deserves all the help they can get.”

But as more states loosen their laws, it may be harder for the lawmaker from Ogden Dunes to make her case.

Some potential allies in the GOP-controlled Legislature say reports of problems and pot-related crime in states with liberalized marijuana laws may chill the conversation in Indiana.

“If you look at states that have medical marijuana or have legalized marijuana, they’ve made a mockery of it,” said state Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford. “They’ve actually tainted the well for states that want to take a more legitimate look at this issue.”

Steele, the influential conservative who heads the Senate Judiciary Committee, stunned fellow Republicans two years ago when he came out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. At the time he likened Indiana’s pot laws — then some of the toughest in nation — to “smashing an ant with sledgehammer.”

He argued it was time to rethink the law, including the ban on medicinal use of marijuana.

He’s given up the argument, at least temporarily. Steele said he won’t co-author Tallian’s medical marijuana bill — which represents a blow to the Democratic lawmaker who needs some Republican support just to get a hearing.

Steele cites California and Colorado as two states that rushed to loosen their laws without considering the unintended consequences.

Colorado opened the door to medical marijuana dispensaries in 2010, and two years later moved to legalize recreational marijuana. Two neighboring states, Nebraska and Oklahoma, are now suing Colorado, alleging they’re being overrun with its marijuana, making it harder for them to enforce their own laws.

Colorado’s neighbors cite a recent report by that found the amount of Colorado pot seized on highways in the region increased from an annual average of 2,763 pounds between 2005 and 2008 to an average of 3,690 pounds from 2009 to 2013. The marijuana was headed for at least 40 different states.

In California, which passed the nation’s first medical marijuana law, critics have cited a rise in emergency room visits due to overdoses of edible marijuana, and they fault regulations that allow holistic healers to dispense pot from thousands of street-corner dispensaries.

Steele said authors of the California and Colorado laws were “stupid” in their approach.

“That doesn’t make it easier for anybody else,” he said.

He fears Tallian’s task may be impossible.

“That’s what she’s strapped with: Trying to come up with a bill that’s so tight that it can’t be made a mockery of,” he said. “That’s going to be tough for her to do, she’s got an uphill climb.”

Tallian calls her legislation “conservative” and a “small step” toward legalizing medical marijuana. It would create an agency, the Department of Marijuana Enforcement, that would issue cards to medically eligible users. It also creates an advisory committee to study the effectiveness of the program.

She said the bill allows state research institutions and the pharmacology industry to study the efficacy of cannabis for medical purposes.

The proposal’s fate likely lies in the hands of Republican state Sen. Mike Young, chairman of the Senate Corrections and Criminal Law Committee. Young hasn’t decided whether to hear the bill, but he, too, is concerned about mistakes made by other states. He’s asked his staff to research what happened in Colorado and California.

Young could stall the bill until a future session, to await an Indiana University School of Medicine study on marijuana’s impact on the brain. That isn’t expected to be completed for at least a year.

Meanwhile, the state Prosecuting Attorneys Council is also calling for more study of liberalized marijuana laws in other states before moving forward.

“The smart thing for us to do is to watch how things progress in other states that have changed their marijuana laws,” said council executive director Dave Powell.

Tallian doesn’t think Hoosiers are willing to wait long. On her Facebook page, supporters have posted heart-wrenching stories of family members who suffered through painful cancer treatments and might have found relief through marijuana.

Like Steele, she faults California and Colorado. But she’s convinced Indiana can do it differently.

“We have the ability to learn from what these other states have done. We don’t need to wait.”

— Maureen Hayden is the state reporter for the CNHI newspapers in Indiana. Reach her at mhayden@cnhi.com. Follow her on Twitter @MaureenHayden

What in he*l are these people talking about when they cite "all the problems" in California and Colorado?  All the stories coming out of those states are anecdotal and possibly embellished. What we view as progress on the marijuana front, they view as problems. I fear that, despite all the progress, "Reefer Madness" lives on.

Quote; I walk out of the voter's booth with a lot of blank spaces on my ballot because I won't vote for "the lesser of two evils".

If everyone did that then the evil ones will win because they have no problem voting for the greater of two evils...  pull your weight or live the rest of your life in hell on Earth.

Quote; I walk out of the voter's booth with a lot of blank spaces on my ballot because I won't vote for "the lesser of two evils".

If everyone did that then the evil ones will win because they have no problem voting for the greater of two evils...  pull your weight or live the rest of your life in hell on Earth.

I figure you guys are sorting out which evil is the right one. I trust you. I've voted for non-prohibitionist D's - I educate and know who wants what.

The bold part is awesome. I'll leave the weight right there on the ground and tell you to pick it up if you think it so important. That sounds like the most Republican thing I might read or hear today. Well done.

Rand Paul  wants us all in JAIL<<   Paul told a group of Northern Kentucky University law students last month that he wouldn't support lifting the federal ban on marijuana use, -   so i guess we have  new kind of libertarian  ,

Rand Paul is technically listed as a Republican (you can look it up) though he is a conundrum for the Libertarians who he resembles more closely given his true desire for States' rights and Father's history and popularity with Libertarians. He can run on either ticket and could well wind up the Libertarian candidate still.

I see you didn't highlight this: Sen. Rand Paul Proposes Amendment to Protect Marijuana Laws

On Thursday, Sen. Rand Paul proposed an amendment that would keep the federal government from prosecuting medical marijuana patients and physicians as well as interfering with states that implement medical marijuana laws, Huffington Post reports. The amendment was added to a jobs bill currently being heard on the Senate floor. Senator Paul’s communication director, Brian Darling, explained the senator’s move. “What we’re trying to do is look at the law and allow states that have changed their laws and have allowed medical marijuana to do so, for doctors to be able to prescribe and for people to be able to get those prescriptions without being worried about the federal government coming in and arresting them.”

http://blog.mpp.org/medical-marijuana/sen-rand-paul-proposes-amendment-to-protect-marijuana-laws/07252014/#sthash.YHoDJ6xg.dpuf

California Democrats Back Marijuana Legalization In Party Platform  ..  Now tell us what republican party platform does the same?

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — As District of Columbia voters are seemingly poised to approve a ballot item to allow cultivation and possession of small quantities of marijuana for personal use, the Republican in charge of a subpanel with D.C. oversight says home rule should prevail.

“I think there should be a certain amount of discretion for both states and territories and the District, you know,” Sen. Rand Paul said outside his polling place at an elementary school here. “I think really that when we set up our country, we intended that most crime or not crime, things that we determined to be crime or not crimes, was really intended to be determined by localities.”

The Kentucky Republican is the ranking member of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Subcommittee on Emergency Management, Intergovernmental Relations, and the District of Columbia. The unique status of the District gives Congress broad powers to negate local policies, but on the pot question, Paul is strongly on the side of federalism.

“I’m not for having the federal government get involved. I really haven’t taken a stand on … the actual legalization. I haven’t really taken a stand on that, but I’m against the federal government telling them they can’t,” Paul said.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/hill-blotter/rand-paul-let-d-c-legalize-marijuana-if-voters-want/?dcz=

That is from November and, for me, qualifies as a platform that is more definitive and positive for the MMMA than the current administration's.

Edited by YesMichigan

Last month, Paul told a group of law students at Northern Kentucky University he wouldn’t support lifting the federal ban on marijuana use - See more at: http://thenationalmarijuananews.com/2014/12/kentucky-senator-rand-paul-admits-he-was-no-choir-boy-when-it-came-to-using-pot-as-a-youth/#sthash.abkmOkv6.dpuf     PAUL  HAS MADE HIS STAND  , HE WANTS THE FEDS TO LCOK YOU UP 

the actual legalization. I haven’t really taken a stand on that   yes he has   QUOTE

Paul told a group of law students at Northern Kentucky University he wouldn’t support lifting the federal ban on marijuana use    REPEAT  IN CASE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND,, 

U.S.: Rand Paul Says Marijuana Use A 'Mistake,' 'Not A Good Idea' Edited by cristinew

Paul told a group of law students at Northern Kentucky University he wouldn’t support lifting the federal ban on marijuana use    REPEAT  IN CASE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND,, 

Last month, Paul told a group of law students at Northern Kentucky University he wouldn’t support lifting the federal ban on marijuana use, but also didn’t want the federal government to try and overturn state laws that have made the drug legal.

During his TV interview, Paul said he has focused on reducing criminal penalties for some nonviolent drug offenses, which he said have been administered unfairly and disproportionally impact the nation’s minorities.

From your same link. No need to repeat something that works against whatever you think you're proving. The more you make me read the more I like him and wish more Democrats said what he did.

Show me your Democrat candidate who is on record for lifting the Federal ban on Marijuana use. Let's see it, post it twice for emphatic effect. That was cool.

You cannot have it both ways,  either you vote to keep it illegal or you vote to make it legal    flip flop is not a clear answer, 

Let the States decide (as Michigan has). Rand Paul seems to understand that the War on Drugs relies on powers outside of those "delegated to the United States by the Constitution" Yep. 10th Amendment crap to some. Sacred freedom to me.