Blue Dream-Greenthumb Seeds

Dr Gruber

Hey Folks, 

It's Greenthumbs  S1 of"Blue Dream" this time and I'm pretty excited about this grow. After reading up on it I heard it's supposed to be one of the most requested medical strains at West Coast Dispensaries and people seem to rave about it.

Having never tried BD before I tried to do a bit of research on it before i popped the beans and fond a couple quotes worth mentioning...

"The reason that this strain was the unofficial "flavor of the year" in Northern California points to it's origins. It began in the beach town of Santa Cruz, California as a medical clone. This excellent cross between Blueberry and Haze is a huge favorite in most of the dispensaries in Northern California. Being mostly Sativa, this strain allows productivity and encourages creativity and inspiration. With just a touch of Indica, Blue Dream is great for daytime pain relief. Another reason that it is favored among patients is for the duration of the high, usually lasting between 2 and 3 hours. Great if you are trying the conserve medication as well as money, as this wondrous strain is priced fairly (usually between $45 and $55 at most dispensaries). The buds are usually medium-green colored, with clusters of orange pistils and (when grown well) frosted with a thick layer of sticky tri-chromes.

Even though Blue Dream is mostly sativa, when growing the plant tends to look 100% sativa, contributing to this common misconception. The leaves are extremely long and thin, seeming to stretch on forever. They have the most subtle of a bluish, sometimes purple, tint. When grown outdoors, this strain of cannabis is notoriously susceptible to spider mites and, while it can produce up to 7 pounds when properly grown outdoors, it much prefers an indoor growing environment.

Blue Dream is renowned by cannabis connoisseurs in California for having some of the best flavors. It begins with a light, smooth, floral and fruity inhale, with a undertone of blueberry, and spiciness on exhale. This medication is ideal for the daytime user who wants to enjoy a few hours of dreamlike, yet upbeat serenity."

And......

"You will find Blue Dream listed as a Sativa strain on most dispensary menus throughout California because of the strong, energetic head-high it is known for. However, digging deeper you will find that the actual Blue Dream genetics can be linked to Blueberry and Super Silver Haze, making it a 50/50 hybrid strain of cannabis. This explains why patients experience a nice full-body high from the Blueberry (Indica), but also a powerful cerebral experience from its Haze (Sativa) genetic counterparts.

Blue Dream (Hybrid) Stems From Blueberry and Haze

Being a 50/50 hybrid, you get the best of both worlds with this strain of cannabis. The effects are instant & plentiful, making it an instant favorite among most MMJ patients. However, as with all strains of cannabis, the specific phenotype you are medicating with is unique and has its own characteristics.

For this reason, it’s important to remember that not all Blue Dream cuts will make you feel happy, energetic, with a soaring head-high. Although common, this is not always the case. Rather, depending on the Blue Dream phenotype, people may experience more of a full body melt (Indica-dominant) or uplifting head high (Sativa-dominant). It really depends on the specific phenotype you are medicating with. Like people, all strains of cannabis have their unique differences.

Having said that, I will say that Blue Dream typically seems to have the same overall characteristics, regardless of phenotype. Generally speaking, the Blue Dream strain is popular for removing all types of stress and anxiety. Its calming mind-warp is a staple for the strain that is prominent in even the strongest Indica-dominant batches of Blue Dream I have come across.

Long, thick, tan hairs are common when visually inspecting the Blue Dream strain. The smell is always rich, with a subtle sugar-cookie funk. This particular batch of Blue Dream has really frosty buds covered in so many sparkling trichomes that it made the overall appearance of the buds seem lighter in color. The vapor from the Blue Dream strain is super smooth, coating the entire mouth with a sweet blueberry sugar taste on the exhale.

Final Thoughts About The Blue Dream Cannabis Strain

It’s one of my go-to strains for a relaxing, thought-provoking, and stress-free experience. This hybrid strain seems to make the day’s endless list of things to do seem much more attainable. The effects generated from Blue Dream are typically long lasting, euphoric, and can be full-bodied depending on the cut of Blue Dream you have."

It seems there may be a few different phenotypes floating around and it will be interesting to see which one Dr Greenthumb has selected. I don't think he has it listed on his site yet so I don't know if this one will be the more Sativa leaning pheno or not. Either way, i can't wait to see what i get, so this should be fun.

I started 3 seeds and plan on picking one of them to go into a 10 gallon pot and the others will go into 5 gallon lowes buckets. I do believe these can yield very well so i should have a full room with just three of them.

Here we go.....day 1.

t0s865cjeqc2dh6eqr9.jpg

dyweuz4p7a7zlzuj9gv.jpg

4vgbt0c9lu5l61c22x0a.jpg

ddjnpkxnn13wk6cdnq8t.jpg

After germination they took 48 hours to break the soil which is 24 hours longer then I'm used to with GT gear. But, i always notice I have longer germ times in the winter months because all my rooms are a bit colder then normal. I try to compensate with extra heat but its hard to know the proper adjustment.

I grew BD from bagged seed from my last cg, I only know I was told it was BD.

I believe its a cross of BB and super silver haze....

The lady's grew big, stinky, and dense flowers with long skinny bluish leaves. 

Vaping it has a sweet smooth full taste with a relaxing body high and an alert mind(talkative).

I have found this strain to help with headaches, spasms, pain, anxiety, and sleep...ect

Can you tell me why you like it so much? What characteristics does it have that make it so nice? any pics?

My 1st. CG grew this and his was clone only back then (2011).  As I understood the strain cross was DJ Shorts Blueberry

and Nevilles Haze #2

About 98% of my cannabis consumption is by smoking.  I have used Blue Dream numerous times since that I received and

it has never been quite the same, have to admit.  The last was from a local shop.  It looked and tasted much like the Blue Dream

of my memory yet didn't have the desired effects.

What I adored about the BD strain my CG grew was:

It is uplifting with out causing a racy feeling.  It helped me be creative and organizational, motivated yet relaxed.  Not relaxed

in a couch lock way... more so in social settings, I had less anxiety.  I believe that might have to do with the 'creativity' effects

I felt that helped in conversation.  I was also able to sleep very well even if used in the p.m.  I noticed less muscle tension yet

no direct pain relief. Just an over all great combination of strains for my medical purposes. 

I hope you find some really great meds in those beans :)

A patient reported back on the last harvest of B.D., she said it helped relax her muscles to the point her husband said she was even walking more relaxed. Within minutes of smoking she notice her body relaxed, she became very talkative.  Half hr later she said was able to work a kink out in her neck, hips,  and lower back were loose enough to pop/crack. A half hr later she was enjoying the sativa side of things.

I suggested she try some before bed, I know its a daytime med, but it does help me sleep. She said she slept through the night and a woke with no neck pain and no teeth pain from clenching. She was relaxed enough to sleep and not be tense. She likes the fruity taste, and the smoothness of the smoke, no harsh coughing.  

A patient reported back on the last harvest of B.D., she said it helped relax her muscles to the point her husband said she was even walking more relaxed. Within minutes of smoking she notice her body relaxed, she became very talkative.  Half hr later she said was able to work a kink out in her neck, hips,  and lower back were loose enough to pop/crack. A half hr later she was enjoying the sativa side of things.

I suggested she try some before bed, I know its a daytime med, but it does help me sleep. She said she slept through the night and a woke with no neck pain and no teeth pain from clenching. She was relaxed enough to sleep and not be tense. She likes the fruity taste, and the smoothness of the smoke, no harsh coughing.  

Thanks for that info....sounds like a winner!

This past summer I grew bd. i planted 6" clones in the ground may 21.  Never saw a spider mite, altho i did one precautionary spray with Wipeout in July...Saw some PM start and killed it with Eagle 20.  Mostly i saw  branches that, despite being tied up and staked, broke off the main stem from the sheer weight of the buds. Some giants lost half their branches and still hit 6-7 pounds of dry meds, harvested over 2 weeks.  If i ever grow bd outdoors again, i will be prepared to scrog with giant wire nets with 4 inch openings, placed on several levels across the plants to support the beasts.  Without wire nets, 14 feet tall is just too hard to manage.  i had to use giant stepladders to apply ties to 2 x 2 stakes that largely proved worthless cause they snapped.  As did the nets (think tennis nets) that were ripped to shreds by september by sheer poundage.  Base of stalks was 4", and branch weight was just too much.  

Also, if there is next time for bd I will heavily silica them from clones instead of starting silica 3 weeks into flowering.  They were too brittle by sept 1 to benefit from silica. 

i saw only one pheno, didn't know there were others.

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand the BD lineage there is an Indica dominant and the Haze dom which is the original.

Am I correct in this understanding?

I have only had the Haze BD and absolutely loved it.

Best wishes with this, and sorry you were so ill.  Glad you are feeling better.

As I understand the BD lineage there is an Indica dominant and the Haze dom which is the original.

Am I correct in this understanding?

I have only had the Haze BD and absolutely loved it.

Best wishes with this, and sorry you were so ill.  Glad you are feeling better.

Thanks.

Thats how I understand it. A sativa/haze pheno and a more indica pheno. Its supposed to be a 50/50 strain.

• 2 weeks later...
Plans changed.

I went with plant 3 for the 10 gallon pot and plant number 1 went into the 5 gallon lowes bucket.

I had originally planned to put plant #2 in the 10 gallon but it slowed down and the other two passed it up.

I now have plant 2 in the flower room while the others bulk up.

Plant #1..........

l9t194dtr70vfktfyi.jpg

2fvneo1bonf590x6xne8.jpg

Plant #2...in the flower room.

fyg95jk7zgbxl3kv4g0q.jpg

pgj0edpa4eb8meoj1o2a.jpg

Plant #3.....This one looks to be leaning to the indica side of things.

dyzhv4lkphqeil9e1h.jpg

zevz8ft84b0f7cs5ivew.jpg

• 2 weeks later...