Help With Tea For Ulcerative Colitic

keylan

Friend of mine just had an emergency resection about a month ago. Since then he has lost over 40lb. He is already a MM patient. But he just cant eat since the surgery. Does anyone know if a tea with MM and maybe licorice root would help.

Any advice would be appreciated - the MD hasn't been of much help at all he just tells him if he doesn't eat he will die

Is the reason he can't eat lack of appetite, nausea or some other reason?

Cannabis should help with appetite and reducing nausea. Try a glycerin tincture. It can be added to the tea of choice.

If he doesn't eat they'll probably want to insert a PEG tube. Take it from me those are no fun whatsoever.

make cannabis oil and tell him to take them as suppository. it may reduce inflammation in the area and then that may help him return his appetite? honestly this is just a guess.

if hes smoking and not getting any munchies, that could be bad.

what about smoothies ? will he drink green smoothie (spinach + bananas + water in blender) or yogurt smoothie or protien shake? etc?

Friend of mine just had an emergency resection about a month ago. Since then he has lost over 40lb. He is already a MM patient. But he just cant eat since the surgery. Does anyone know if a tea with MM and maybe licorice root would help.

Any advice would be appreciated - the MD hasn't been of much help at all he just tells him if he doesn't eat he will die

Why doesn't he want to eat? Not feeling hungry? Nothing tastes right? Doesn't want the excrement from it? Gets full feeling quickly?

I have some experience with dietary requirements though my thoughts are not medical advice or opinion. Too often doctors want to treat the problem before they understand where it starts. I have worked with individuals in the past with resections but they weren't MM patients.

Ensure and Protein shakes to avoid the PEG tube that Bill mentions until he gets back to wanting solid foods. Anything you can blend and he can consume for nutrients (to piggyback on T-Pain) but then you likely are trying that.

I'm weird I suppose, marijuana has never made me any more or less hungry. I use it as a suppressant some days if I know nausea will be an issue. Sometimes I'm hungry but am able to forget that I am for a few hours - then my stomach is ready and ready to process with minimal discomfort after treatment.

Yes. Many people find relief. I've found that extracted with a light vegetable oil and adding a small amount to tea works fine. Keep in mind that the stuff is not water soluble. If the oil is a deal breaker, you will need to find another method. Baked goods are most popular and palatable, but it can be used anywhere you use oil in the kitchen.

Good luck to you and your friend.

Edited by GregS

I put a little infused coconut oil in my coffee.  Mint tea and oil may work well.

In case they have him on antibiotics and not antifungals, coconut oil is an antifungal which will fight off candida overgrowth during the antibiotic phase.  Beneficial bacteria should be taken during and after antibiotics.

norby, that is good to hear. I had a patient who insisted on dosing her gram a day in her coffee also. We finally settled on an infusion of honey oil with organic hemp oil. This kept it liquid. I packaged them in a plastic disposable 10 mil dropper. Each had three grams of active ingredient for her to use through the day.

I have been long endeared to a morning coffee and hash session. I melt my hash in my coffee and smoke it while I sip while the sun rises. When it was illegal to do I met with two other guys every Sunday for the same, now we cant do that because we're scared, its cwazy. :zoro::startle:

Thanks - he currently smokes his MM The problem is and pain and nausea. Im trying to think of something that will also reduce the imflamation of his bowel - found a study on licorice root in animals that looked promising. He is about 1 step away from a peg and a colostomy right now. He has started sucking on licorice hard candies, which he is tolerating. Hoping to get a tea in him that is both an anti inflamitory and helps him getting back to eating again.

Figure he could at least sip on a tea without too much trouble.

Thanks - he currently smokes his MM The problem is and pain and nausea. Im trying to think of something that will also reduce the imflamation of his bowel - found a study on licorice root in animals that looked promising. He is about 1 step away from a peg and a colostomy right now. He has started sucking on licorice hard candies, which he is tolerating. Hoping to get a tea in him that is both an anti inflamitory and helps him getting back to eating again.

Figure he could at least sip on a tea without too much trouble.

I got my card so I would have access to CO2 extract oil for vaporizing. The relief I get from vaping over smoking for nausea is astounding, three or four puffs as soon as I am done eating. I sometimes still have food in my mouth I'll admit.

I hope your boy feels better.

He has started sucking on licorice hard candies, which he is tolerating. Hoping to get a tea in him that is both an anti inflamitory and helps him getting back to eating again.

Here is a licorice candy recipe from the University of Wisconsin that uses the powdered root.  Add cannabis extract to the molasses before mixing.

Licorice Candy Recipe

The following recipe was developed by Ken Heintz and Peter D'Souza.

Yield: 2 pounds

Ingredients:

1 cup             All-purpose flour

1/2 cup          Corn starch

1/2 cup          Wheat gluten

1 1/2 tbsp      Powdered licorice root

1 1/2 tbsp      Powdered star anise

2 cups           Molasses

Method of Preparation:

1.     In a 2-quart microwave pot, mix all dry ingredients..
  2.     Mix in molasses and mix thoroughly with a plastic spoon until mixture is smooth.
  3.     Place mixture in microwave oven and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
  4.     Stop oven and stir mixture.
  5.     Repeat cook/stir cycle (8 times) for a total cooking time of 13.5 minutes in the microwave oven. Remove pot from oven.
  6.     Pour licorice on Teflon cookie sheet. While warm, press licorice to a patty about 1/2" thick. Allow to  cool.
  7.      Caution: mixture may be hot. Handle only when warm to touch.
  8.    Use a plastic knife to cut into 1 " strips, then roll into sticks. Sticks may be cut into bite-sized pieces with scissors.

Notes:

-ingredients can be purchased at any health food store, food coop, or natural food store. Some may require a special order.

-licorice making is tricky. Total cooking time and ingredient quantities may be adjusted for a particular texture and taste.

-variables in your kitchen include: microwave oven- wattage/make/size, atmospheric pressure, cooking pot material/dimension, stirring time, amount of stirring and accuracy in measuring ingredients.

Happy licorice candy making.

http://www.uwstout.edu/rendezvous/licorice.cfm

Edited by Wild Bill

He has started sucking on licorice hard candies, which he is tolerating. Hoping to get a tea in him that is both an anti inflamitory and helps him getting back to eating again.

Here is a licorice candy recipe from the University of Wisconsin that uses the powdered root.  Add cannabis extract to the molasses before mixing.

Licorice Candy Recipe

Ingredients:

Method of Preparation:

1.     In a 2-quart microwave pot, mix all dry ingredients..
  2.     Mix in molasses and mix thoroughly with a plastic spoon until mixture is smooth.
  3.     Place mixture in microwave oven and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
  4.     Stop oven and stir mixture.
  5.     Repeat cook/stir cycle (8 times) for a total cooking time of 13.5 minutes in the microwave oven.         Remove pot from oven.
  6.     Pour licorice on Teflon cookie sheet. While warm, press licorice to a patty about 1/2" thick. Allow to  cool.   Caution: mixture may be hot. Handle only when warm to touch.
  7.    Use a plastic knife to cut into 1 " strips, then roll into sticks. Sticks may be cut into bite-sized pieces with scissors.

Notes:

-ingredients can be purchased at any health food store, food coop, or natural food store. Some may require a special order.

-licorice making is tricky. Total cooking time and ingredient quantities may be adjusted for a particular texture and taste.

-variables in your kitchen include: microwave oven- wattage/make/size, atmospheric pressure, cooking pot material/dimension, stirring time, amount of stirring and accuracy in measuring ingredients.

I got my card so I would have access to CO2 extract oil for vaporizing. The relief I get from vaping over smoking for nausea is astounding, three or four puffs as soon as I am done eating. I sometimes still have food in my mouth I'll admit.

I hope your boy feels better.

Thanks I told him that he was not aware of that neither was I Thanks again a million!!!!!!!!!!!

Licorice Candy Recipe

Ingredients:

Method of Preparation:

•     In a 2-quart microwave pot, mix all dry ingredients..
  •     Mix in molasses and mix thoroughly with a plastic spoon until mixture is smooth.
  •     Place mixture in microwave oven and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
  •     Stop oven and stir mixture.
  •     Repeat cook/stir cycle (8 times) for a total cooking time of 13.5 minutes in the microwave oven.         Remove pot from oven.
  •     Pour licorice on Teflon cookie sheet. While warm, press licorice to a patty about 1/2" thick. Allow to  cool.   Caution: mixture may be hot. Handle only when warm to touch.
  •    Use a plastic knife to cut into 1 " strips, then roll into sticks. Sticks may be cut into bite-sized pieces with scissors.
Notes:

Thanks

Thanks I told him that he was not aware of that neither was I Thanks again a million!!!!!!!!!!!

You're very welcome, I hope it helps him. The wonder of the Co2 extract is "the future of rock and roll" as I've been saying since the moment I tried it. I am using a Sativa extract which has been nothing short of miraculous.

O2 Vape or Meddi-Plus make some $50 or less vaporizers that I can personally attest to working for the application, no buttons or hassle, just draw through like an e-cig. When putting the oil in your "pen" be sure to heat it in the water for at least one minute, I do two just to be sure it will all get out of the oral syringe.

I would very much like to know if the vaporizing creates a significant difference for him on nausea as it has for me. Not scientific but at least I can get some more anecdotal evidence if nothing else.

You're very welcome, I hope it helps him. The wonder of the Co2 extract is "the future of rock and roll" as I've been saying since the moment I tried it. I am using a Sativa extract which has been nothing short of miraculous.

O2 Vape or Meddi-Plus make some $50 or less vaporizers that I can personally attest to working for the application, no buttons or hassle, just draw through like an e-cig. When putting the oil in your "pen" be sure to heat it in the water for at least one minute, I do two just to be sure it will all get out of the oral syringe.

I would very much like to know if the vaporizing creates a significant difference for him on nausea as it has for me. Not scientific but at least I can get some more anecdotal evidence if nothing else.

I will certainly let you know and everyone else too. I am hoping - he is really in rough shape. If something doesn't change soon for him I don't know what the future holds for him and he is a fairly young man too. Surely too young to have these kinds of health issues.