Medical Grower Needed Must Have Exp

buzz925

• 3 weeks later...

the 12/3 you hooked up to the 30 amp breaker for your hot water tank is wrong. It should be 10/3...I'm not getting into the other questions you asked...HJ

The correct wire would be 10/2. Water heaters do not require a neutral.

Well since there was a positive, negative, and a screw for the copper unshielded wire that was running through the 10/3 wire & the directions said to hook it up this way, & it works perfect, & two separate electricians said yes that is perfect, one of which tagged it so I could use him for the warranty putting his 20 years of growing his business which supports his family on the line, I think I'll stick with the 2 electricians and the directions rather than believe what someone posts on an internet forum. It might not require a neutral, but their is a screw. Maybe it's not needed, Are you a licensed electrician? I've wired 100's of lights washers, dryers, water heaters, and have yet to see a 240 volt electric water heater or anything that doesn't use the copper ground / neutral because the other two wires are hot in a 240.. Yes Hydro Jack was right, I used 10/3 for the water heater and ran two hots the white and black and then connected the copper ground. I guess when I said 10/3 I meant to say 10/2 because I counted the copper wire as #3. Excuse me for the grammatical error If it's wrong, it sure has been working pretty good and doesn't even get warm.

And yes, I'm not an idiot, I would rather pay an electrician $50 or buy him a case of beer to glance everything over and tell me its right instead of paying one because I do my own stuff. Fix my own cars, lawnmower, shingle my own roof, etc. If it's something that could kill me or hurt me I always have it looked at before ever putting a breaker into the panel. But when it comes to simple grow lights, not everyone wants some electrician they don't know seeing their setup. But since two friends of mine are licensed electricians I always have them glance over something before I apply power. If they aren't around I'll send them video. After so many projects you just learn. Screw paying some stranger $ to do anything unless I can't do it myself. Like suspension work because I don't have a press or transmission work because I've never learned. Anything else is DIY in my opinion.

Well since there was a positive, negative, and a screw for the copper unshielded wire that was running through the 10/3 wire & the directions said to hook it up this way, & it works perfect, & two separate electricians said yes that is perfect, one of which tagged it so I could use him for the warranty putting his 20 years of growing his business which supports his family on the line, I think I'll stick with the 2 electricians and the directions rather than believe what someone posts on an internet forum. It might not require a neutral, but their is a screw. Maybe it's not needed, Are you a licensed electrician? I've wired 100's of lights washers, dryers, water heaters, and have yet to see a 240 volt electric water heater or anything that doesn't use the copper ground / neutral because the other two wires are hot in a 240.. Yes Hydro Jack was right, I used 10/3 for the water heater and ran two hots the white and black and then connected the copper ground. I guess when I said 10/3 I meant to say 10/2 because I counted the copper wire as #3. Excuse me for the grammatical error If it's wrong, it sure has been working pretty good and doesn't even get warm.

The bare copper wire is an equipment safety ground. Not a neutral. The water heater would still operate without the bare copper ground attached. It carries no electricity. It is used for safety as an alternative source back to your panel in case of a energized wire or equipment part coming in contact with the metal case of the water heater. There is no positive or negative on 240 A/C volt installation. Just two hot wires that are 180 degrees out of phase.  Yes I am a licensed electrician.  My point is why pay more for 10/3 when 10/2 is less expensive.