Documentation Questions, Nausea Caused By Meds

Hello friends:

I have been taking prescription Effexor for anxiety for about a year now.  I get occasional nausea as a side-effect of this medication.  Nausea is a documented side-effect of Effexor, but I have not complained to my doctor about it and therefore it is not in my own medical record.  

In your personal (non-legal, non-medical, non-binding) opinion would it be good enough justification for a medical marijuana card to simply show my medication history and claim the side effect with the marijuana doc? Or do you think its better to have nausea documented with my primary care before going to the marijuana doc?

I have been trying different meds for about 3 years, and feel I have finally found something that works well for me, except for the nausea.  I buy street weed (illegal) to help curb my problems.  I have made it my goal to get legal this year but want to make sure I am well prepared to do so.

Thank you for any insight and sharing your experience.

I get occasional nausea as a side-effect of this medication.  Nausea is a documented side-effect of Effexor, but I have not complained to my doctor about it and therefore it is not in my own medical record.  

In your personal (non-legal, non-medical, non-binding) opinion would it be good enough justification for a medical marijuana card to simply show my medication history and claim the side effect with the marijuana doc? Or do you think its better to have nausea documented with my primary care before going to the marijuana doc?

Hello there and welcome to the forum, I reckon that first and foremost I'd like to (non-professionally of course, I'm not a computer-chair professor) address the "occasional" bit of what you posted. Now, when I read this my first thought goes to "If these side effects are only occasional, maybe they can be treated in other ways.". 

Now, back to it being "occasional",  the nausea part of the MMMJ program is (in my own opinion) that the Nausea in question is an excessive burden, a full fledged debilitating side effect of your treatment that in and of itself (apart from previously qualifying conditions). For example, treatment for IBS and existing peptic ulcers causes particularly dis-satisfactory daily nausea and vomiting, I can only imagine what occasional nausea would feel like.

However, if you were to choose to pursue the option of obtaining a card, I would first start by talking to your PCP about the nausea and get it well on record that the problem is present and persistent, who knows, he/she may have another option for you. (Let's face it here, I would love to say "This will cure ALL of your problems!" but there are still medications that are absolutely legitimately necessary past the use of MMJ medications). You will need to have your nausea documented for a couple of months to be perfectly sure that the problem is persistent and adversely life affecting, but don't fib just to get your card!

Good luck, and keep safe. If you end up getting a card and all of the like, make sure to sign a great caregiver if you don't plan on doing your own gardening! Do some interviews (very important to not just pick the first caregiver you come across out of fear for not finding another), ask some questions, but never assume anything. Depending on your location, there could be a dispensing facility nearby who could meet your needs (once properly registered of course), but I wouldn't get too comfortable using them as a "just in case" or if a "told you so" situation were to arise.

Be prepared, and most importantly of all, be informed.

:bong2:

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

the answer is see a doctor and ask her/him bout getting a recommendation. the dr will tell you if its enough to get a rec or not.

just remember to take in your prescription with you. and any medical records you have. especially try to get the pharmacy to print off your prescription history, this will show that you have an ongoing long-term prescription which the dr can use in the recommendation.

dont be nervous. give it a chance! try it! whats the worse that happens is the dr says he/she wont do it. we can handle a little rejection now and then right ? you wont melt.

and also its better to have a card if you are using mj currently.

or at least get a drs rec, which may help you in court.....

glad mj works for you. :)

Edited by t-pain

U could have another qualifying condition that would allow for a mmj rec, where the mmj could also have a benefit to the nausea... and the anxiety. It would be comparable to your trial & error w the mood alterants... finding the strain & source that best works w your medical conditions, and your particular biology (each person has a somewhat unique biochemical response). Docs will be practically no use in your finding the path, and the state is adamant to be unhelpful in those matters as well. Currently, our system isnt set up to assist patients in treatment.

There are certain strains that could potentially alleviate your primary condition w the effexor, and there are those that will exacerbate it. If you can find the real deal, I would recommend trying some bubba kush... the real deal though, as you will find several that just arent as advertised. But that strain has always been relaxing, calming, and could work w the nausea as well. Again, have to try it and see... but id bet w the right strain(s) you could reduce the use of your traditional scripts, if not cut em out entirely.

But again, you wont find yoo much help in doing so w/in the current system & state of affairs... the state makes it particularly difficult for patients. You have to take the whole endeavor upon yourself.

Thank you everyone for your insight, I value your feedback.

It sounds like I will need to start documenting the nausea with my primary care doc. for a while.  I was hoping to get the process going sooner with a marijuana doctor but I will wait a little longer.  The main problem is that it takes months just to get into the PCP as it is; my next appointment is at the end of March  :(

By occasionally I mean it happens maybe twice a week.  My nausea is such that I have to lie down and is also coupled with a headache.  It may not be as debilitating like other conditions, but it sure does bother me a great deal when I can move or do house work.  I also have an 8 year old and hate it when I can't attend to her well enough.

I have been dealing with medication changes for about 3 years now, and I'm so tired of going through the trials.  I can take just 1 or 2 hits of the MJ and I'm mobile again.

These laws are so darn frustrating   :horse: