Should Marijuana Be Legalized In Michigan?

LANSING, MI (WNEM) -

More states are blazing new trails and riding high on big business from marijuana. Four states: Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia have now legalized recreational weed.

For the last year, many eyes have been on Colorado, the first state to regulate and tax cannabis. The centennial state is expected to bring in about $50 million in taxes from pot in the first year.

TV5 wanted to know whether it makes sense for Michigan to get a taste of that rocky mountain high.

Chuck Ream is an advocate with the Safer Michigan Coalition. The group has lead the push on a local level. 

"We think the example has been excellent in Colorado and we would love to see it replicated in Michigan," says Ream.

Ream says now it's time to focus efforts on the state capitol. 

"You get economic activity and you get good jobs that are based in the state and in the community that are helping people. This is the kind of economic growth we really need and want," says Ream.

Michigan voters chose to make medical marijuana legal in 2008. But Ream says several restrictions block patients from receiving all the benefits from the drug. 

"We can produce cannabis now that has almost no THC that is still tremendously medically beneficial and it's just with the freedom to experiment that we can produce things that help all sorts of people even things that don't get you high at all," says Ream.

State Representative Jeff Irwin has worked on reforming Michigan's marijuana laws for several years. He argues that regulating pot like alcohol would also save the state time and money spent and would allow police to re-direct their efforts to target more serious crimes. 

"We spend somewhere around $300 million a year on arresting, incarcerating and trying people for possession of marijuana so immediately we can save those dollars we can redeploy those public safety resources to attacking real criminals," says Irwin.

Irwin plans to introduce legislation to legalize marijuana this spring. He insists bi-partisan support is growing among lawmakers. 

"What I'm seeing here in Lansing is a big shift in people's attitudes towards this issue both Democrats and Republicans. I'm seeing a big shift out in the public, I think that's one of the reasons why so many individual cities have been decriminalizing marijuana possession at the local level," says Irwin.

But advocates still face some strong opposition. 

Attorney General Bill Schuette says the biggest reason he is against recreational marijuana is to protect kids. 

Governor Rick Snyder has also opposed local ballot measures to decriminalize like the one that passed here in Saginaw last fall. 

If Irwin's proposal doesn't get off the ground, supporters plan to launch a ballot initiative leaving the decision up to you, the voters, as early as next year.

Read more: http://www.wnem.com/story/28118715/should-marijuana-be-legalized-in-michigan#ixzz3RvWWrjc6

The Michigan Responsibility Council are preparing to put full legalization on the 2016 ballot. Here's what they plan to do:

1. Repeal the MMMA of 2008
2. Divide the state into 10 sections where there will be 10 large grows supplying the state.
3. Tax all marijuana including medical
4. Ban all home cultivation
5. Allow for a limited number of distribution canters per 10 districts that must receive all product from the 10 big grows
6. Strategically give the 10 grow licenses by property address straight to their funders.

As a pt we have protections that rec users dont have! if pt's want to keep their rights than dont vote for all out legal, the all out legal thing has to not have anything to do with mm, it needs to be a seperate entity!

Im not willing to give up my meds for people who just want to use it to get high!  a pt and c.g rights need to be kept in place and not messed with!

recreational use should be a total different game and not involve pt or c.gs to pt's in any way, leave our law alone!

Peace

slippery slope, medical and/or recreational I've heard.

when asked I couldn't name another medicine produced in basements and sold to the sick public to alleviate symptoms of cancer and epilepsy?

I don't doubt that you couldn't name another medicine....but take a look here.  A little research goes a long way.  There are many, many herbs that can alleviate symptoms of all sorts of health issues.  Many of these herbs can be grown in a basement.  Next time someone asks the same question, you can supply a list as long as your arm.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/herbalmedicine.html

• Acai(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Aloe Vera(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Aristolochic Acids(National Toxicology Program) - PDF
  • Asian Ginseng(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Astragalus(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Bilberry(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Bitter Orange(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Black Cohosh(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Butterbur(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Cat's Claw(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Chamomile(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Chasteberry(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Cinnamon(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Cranberry(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Dandelion(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Echinacea(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Echinacea: What Should I Know about It?(American Academy of Family Physicians)
  • Also available in Spanish
  • Ephedra(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • European Elder (Elderberry)(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • European Mistletoe(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Evening Primrose Oil(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Fenugreek(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Feverfew(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Garlic(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Ginger(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Gingko(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Gingko(National Toxicology Program) - PDF
  • Goldenseal(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Grape Seed Extract(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Green Tea(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Hawthorn(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Hoodia(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Horse Chestnut(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Kava(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Lavender(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Licorice Root(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Milk Thistle(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Noni(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Passionflower: At a Glance(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Peppermint Oil(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Red Clover(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Red Yeast Rice: An Introduction(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Sage(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Saw Palmetto(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Soy(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • St. John's Wort(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Tea Tree Oil(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Thunder God Vine(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Time to Talk: What You Should Know about 5 Popular Herbs (Evening Primrose Oil, St. John's Wort, Fenugreek, Echinacea, and Aloe Vera)(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Turmeric(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • Valerian(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
  • What Are Chia Seeds?(Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
  • Yohimbe(National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)

Can you name another medicine that was completely prohibited and lied about by the government for decades?

I thought not, carry on.

sure can. theres a list out there. start with mdma maybe, cant recall this moment. thought I saw the list here awhile ago.

but that's simply another subject. the question posed to me in my post has nothing to do with prohibited drugs/substances, only drugs sold to the sick for the alleviation of cancer and epilepsy symptoms grown in basements. sorry it rubs you the wrong way man. but if you haven't heard that angle by now I'd be surprised. I hear it often. Specifically from the Pharmacists I've worked with in the past. this is their angle, fyi. pretending it isn't may prove futile?

It is an obtuse angle. I'm surprised to hear it from a supposed cannabis activist, though I should not be by now.

did I say my pharmacist associates were cannabis activists? I think not. they definitely are not, at least not our brand of activism.

I could take either side myself, and argue effectively. I've no reason to though. You have reason to shoot the messenger?

I see nothing obtuse about the concern of a physician/druggist when it comes to the unregulated production and dispensing of a previously scheduled drug(ridiculous or not) at the street level, specifically marketed to the cancer stricken among us.

and you see this as an obtuse angle ?

recall my personal take;

want to call it strictly medicine for sick people?

I'm cool with that.. but fully expect the herb to be classified and studied, peer reviewed, regulated, synthesized if worthy, and patented, and quite likely removed from the realm of our basement hobby rooms. that's my take. keep it simple, like basil who gives a rats azz if its recreational or medicinal, and what of crossing the state lines then,...

well, I got high in Colorado, then got sick n MI?

I see nothing obtuse about the concern of a physician/druggist when it comes to the unregulated production and dispensing of a previously scheduled drug(ridiculous or not) at the street level, specifically marketed to the cancer stricken among us.

and you see this as an obtuse angle ?

recall my personal take;

want to call it strictly medicine for sick people?

I'm cool with that.. but fully expect the herb to be classified and studied, peer reviewed, regulated, synthesized if worthy, and patented, and quite likely removed from the realm of our basement hobby rooms. that's my take. keep it simple, like basil who gives a rats azz if its recreational or medicinal, and what of crossing the state lines then,...

well, I got high in Colorado, then got sick n MI?

It's a blessing to cancer patients and basements. Why do you repeated berate with these emotional appeals? If you somehow include children you have covered all their bases. 

the 'no medicine is grown in a basement' canard is a sound byte from the prohibitionists.

methinks grassmatch is trying to find the soundbyte that counters such propaganda. its tough work, emotional, gut-wrenching, knee-jerk work, but have to power through it and find the answers.

you can win a battle with a soundbyte, but you win the war with the truth.

It's a blessing to cancer patients and basements. Why do you repeated berate with these emotional appeals? If you somehow include children you have covered all their bases.

to give you purpose dear poster. its always interesting motivating you to say something constructive of another post. doesn't normally happen, but sometimes you squirt out a jewel worthy of framing. Just takes the right motivator I guess.

I personally see no reason(as stated) to regulate, inspect, safety check, tax or otherwise change anything as it is in our Act.

Some people do though. some very powerful people. people who already make their living because marijuana is illegal and scheduled. Those people have quasi legitimate reasons they offer for their stance. Exploring those reasons seems more productive than judging those who use cannabis recreationally. only in my opinion of course, subject to change, to be odd, and sometimes controversial.

the only point to reckon in the(my 1st post) is recreational vs medicinal.

I propose the "medicinal" lobby does more harm in the long run than the recreational one.

to keep this herb as it is, a wonderfully healthful herb with obvious connections to the human genome, and out of the hands

of big pharma and leo, is ideal to me.

Ive seen examples of other natural herbs countering the big pharma gangs and losing. After decades of "recreational" use, trying to stand up tall to the "medicinals" Ephedra comes to mind. I'd hate for mj to be classified medicinal only , for I suspect what comes next is not what we intended. If it was recreational, all bases would be covered, labs would have free access to study, and bingo. If its medicinal only......we should be realistic while considering these (already US patented) plant compounds.

Does anyone thing someone in Colorado is going to be able to complete with Sativex on the open market for long for example?

the 'no medicine is grown in a basement' canard is a sound byte from the prohibitionists.

methinks grassmatch is trying to find the soundbyte that counters such propaganda. its tough work, emotional, gut-wrenching, knee-jerk work, but have to power through it and find the answers.

you can win a battle with a soundbyte, but you win the war with the truth.

seems you have a (unique) 20/20 vision :excl:

there are patent laws in place currently that would prohibit a home grower from commercially competing with Sativex, even if cannabis was legal. The amount of trials and such would be daunting to the lay man grower. I believe even their extraction process is patented.

it is ludicrous, but they call medicine medicine, and their medicine has rules. we see it in history, everytime someone shouts of a natural treatment/cure. I'm afraid if its classified as such they will act as they have in every other circumstance or "medicine production, distribution, classification, etc...I cant imagine why they would break protocol for cannabis, but I believe its about time they do.

there are patent laws in place currently that would prohibit a home grower from commercially competing with Sativex, even if cannabis was legal. The amount of trials and such would be daunting to the lay man grower. I believe even their extraction process is patented.it is ludicrous, but they call medicine medicine, and their medicine has rules. we see it in history, everytime someone shouts of a natural treatment/cure. I'm afraid if its classified as such they will act as they have in every other circumstance or "medicine production, distribution, classification, etc...I cant imagine why they would break protocol for cannabis, but I believe its about time they do.

Gm, are you saying that they've patented the "genus" or "family" of cannabis? I can see how they could patent a strain(s), but not all cannabis. And, with it growing wild all over the globe I can't see how anyone could control it.

Of course you do realize you are talking with pharma people right? Gee  I wonder why they argue against it being grown in a basement........... Wonder if they think it may interfere with their medicine......... and that they should be the ones dishing it out......... Sounds completely ridiculous to me........... And I agree with Zap not a conversation suited for this forum at all,.,,,,,,,,

The assumption seems to be that in order to be "medicine" it must be refined or synthesized by a commercial entity. This is a relatively modern concept encouraged by industrial revolution propaganda. This misconception that store bought is better or safer than homemade pervades our culture. I know people who won't eat farm eggs because they come from a chickens butt. They will however eat the nice clean eggs from the supermarket.

The pharmaceutical industry reduces natural medicines to their individual components in an attempt to create a specific effect. This generally makes them in no way safer than the original herbal medicine. Many times less so. An analogy might be that pure grain alcohol is safer and more effective than wine or heroin is safer than poppy straw tea because they are more refined.

Listen to the list of side effects on any drug ad on tv and compare those drugs with their herbal counterparts.

I would contend that my homegrown herbs are more properly termed medicine than the single bullet poisons sold by industrialists.

What I grow is real medicine, what they sell is a dangerous imitation. We've been told the same lie for so long now we believe it's true.

Of course you do realize you are talking with pharma people right? Gee  I wonder why they argue against it being grown in a basement........... Wonder if they think it may interfere with their medicine......... and that they should be the ones dishing it out......... Sounds completely ridiculous to me........... And I agree with Zap not a conversation suited for this forum at all,.,,,,,,,,

I agreed, until the "keep this info out of the forum" bit.

The last time I saw the opposition approached it was by marijuana cosplay adults.

Now we don't even want to discuss what/why they may be thinking? WARNING

Was out doing the grow shop circuit and The Bombshell; The marijuana market in Michigan is cash strapped. 

Knowing that I know that the market will not endure added costs at all. Go ahead and try us on for size with taxes and overhead. Your businesses will fail. Sativex? LOL Who can afford that? 

The terrible part is we are just getting by and a bunch of fat cats jumping in our boat will sink it and leave us stranded on an island of disfunction and worse laws that were designed to herd us to the dispensaries or prison. Again, the market is saturated and the going price is $200  an ounce(top shelf) with no room for more overhead because we are barely paying our low overhead. 

I've been watching the market closely here for decades and believe I understand it very well. There's no wall between medical and recreational, it's all one market and it is weak here. There's more hype than anything. Large grows have dropped by 40% since 2009. The ones that still operate have to sell their marijuana in other states to make the money they need.

Michigan is the land of basement grows because that's all that is going to work here. I learned how broke we are when I started the compassion club back in '09. Before that I was kidding myself thinking there was some hidden lucrative market here. There is none.  The fat cats are fighting over a bone that has been chewed shiny already. It's tiny basement grows for the determined, or pie in the sky, false hopes and tragedy, for the gready that don't do their homey work.