Knezek: Regulations Needed To Shore Up Medical Marijuana Laws

The only way I don't fight this tooth and nail is if the database also contains the names and quantity on hand for all of the people in the State or traveling in to the state with other controlled substances.

This is an absurd over reach of legislation to solve a non-existent problem. You do not need to register in order to get medicinal relief. The police do not need a database for whatever purpose this misguided legislator is proposing.

Any time I'm told I have to "register" in order to obtain a basic civil liberty there is a problem.

Houston We have a Problem

No registration program for them so they aren't as dangerous obviously.

Now a medical marijuana user? Better be able to track them at any given moment. Perhaps a GPS tether would be sufficient for Senator Knezek.

Regulate anyone who will allow you to regulate them as often as you can to make up for those people who ignore your regulations. That seems to be their approach.

I agree they want more Bars , Walls , And Guards 

It is not really about the cops, but about whether the information can be obtained or is confidential. If it can be obtained or published, it will, and that will have an egregious effect on things like housing and employment issues. It is much less about the cops for most people, and more about the other stuff that can go wrong when prohibitionists are at the helm of private institutions.

Had a face to face w a trooper about this issue, amongst other related issues... a mini debate if u will.

From his explanation, the major concern was to have a way to verify if a presented card was valid or not. They wanted/needed the ability to do this. Made sense to me, especially if it expedited matters & sent them on their way w/o any further incident.

And in truth, I thought there was a way already as t-pain noted... but that it wasnt available 24/7. He (the cop) wanted a way to verify immediately/on the spot... say for a traffic stop, or a door knock. And if they could verify, it would basically end the matter, assuming everything else was in order. I was in cuffs during the conversation, so validating made good sense at the time, lol.

But I would have assumed it (a database) would be confidential & only available for verification. Tho quite frankly, it makes sense to me that if they were investigating a person that they should be required to check to c if that person was legally registered prior to any warrant being issued... say a judge requires this from the police dept on all mj concerns. I am thinking specifically of odor complaints & follow up... where having a card removes probable cause in most cases for issuing a warrant.

you know the dispensary bill contains that language for the database already, right? the bill says it is confidential.

T-pain is right, they can check as I said above, 24/7 by way of the Law Enforcement Information Network, on computer terminals right in the car.

The registry is also available to them by way of subpoena or search warrant. If they have probable cause that a marijuana crime is being committed but think the person might be a patient or caregiver, a judge would sign off on getting into the registry to double check. They rarely do that.

They don't do that, because if they go through the process of the warrant, under current case law pursuant to Brown, they can go right in.

These cops are not interested in justice or fairness in any way. They want to arrest as many as possible with as little work as possible.

I am sorry but i do need to ask  something and maybe i'am not understanding things

Why sometimes people say the Law is woking just fine and other times some say the Leo are lying and want to arrest as many as they can

Thank you

cops, are really a simple mind messed up ,, I had them tell me one time, well your id only proves that you have willy's ID.. how do we know that your willy.. and that was with DL, birth certificate, and a few bits and bites of other dumb bunny muffin, like a library card an such..so no matter what they ask for it wont make a freakin bit of difference, and im truly skeptical of even legalization, cause like been said before, gov rules, gov run grow facility, and high taxes from a gov run dispensary, , that aint legal to me..

Edited by Willy

He was lying through his teeth to you. They can look up a card in LEIN and have been able to 24/7 for nearly five years.

How does that make you feel about your assertion that having an open registry "shouldn't be that big of a deal?" If he would lie about such a simple thing right to the face of a patient, what else would he do?

I want things to be better, but the reality is that if this information becomes available, cops and other prohibitionists will use it to make patients' lives hell.

Thank you zap... was unaware of the specifics.

Certainly understand ur point better.