Patient Has Strain Inquiry

Hey there folks, I have a potential patient who had a question about some strains, now, I'm not the most in the know person about which strains can help with which illnesses effectively, so that's why I'm here.

Anywho, on to the topic at hand, my patient in question expressed a concern that they were looking for a strain(s) that could assist more adequately with their Hypertension, mood swings, and possibly be helpful towards their bloodsugar (diabetic) issues.

So, who has some known strain suggestions for these issues? 

good luck. trial and error is successful in my experience. so many patients somehow believe there is a strain labeled for every condition. I'm a seasoned user of hundreds of strains and will share that the "best I ever had" (for my symptoms) changes often. A favorite on Tuesday may or may not be the favorite at the end of the week. Variety and patient feedback will go a long way towards a positive patient experience .  

Tahoe OG Kush has ticked every box for me and mine for years, but we still bore of it monthly, and love the weekly changing menus, with Tahoe always available though.

It's going to be a heck of a process I reckon, the patient in question is also a non-smoker, so I'll be making him edibles as his chosen method of ingestion. Being that he is a Diabetic, it's going to make it a little bit more so difficult again. 

He did say that he'd prefer something that would allow him to still be active and not be too stoned. enough for his pain relief, but not something that will send him to the couch for nap-time, how's the Tahoe in that regard?

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

If your making medibles I'd go with cannatonic #4 or perkins cannatonic as you'll want to decarb teh THC and CBD separately.  And maybe something like the purps as it's got no burnout by the description.  Something more sativaish would be better for the day and have a lighter feel to it.

And I'd go with coconut oil caps as they are easy to dose that way and no sugar.

Edited by Norby

I've dabbled lightly in making infused coconut oil in the past, it didn't work out the best but with this patients needs I feel I'll be re-visiting and improving on those techniques. If the answer is all in the CBD's, I'll certainly have to get ahold of the Canna. #4 or the Perkins. I've seen tell that A2 carries either or on occasion. The capsules though are definitely a good point though, and that's the route I'll probably end up taking. Will make sure to bring that option up to him and see how he feels about it.

I'll have to re-visit growing the purps with my next set.

Depends, THC is good for "pain" and CBD is good for neuropathic pain and diabetes.  CBD counteracts the munchies effect of THC.  It depends on their main problem. 

My fibromyalgia/MS patient would benefit from CBD for the MS but can't take it because it counteracts the painkilling effects of the THC.  For me, the THC gives me an apatite and I take just enough CBD to keep me from getting anxious(about 1to3 CBD to THC, of my edibles and I smoke after eating before eating, etc.).  My ciatic nerve problems felt better, well not at all, when I was taking more THC and no CBD but the anxiety kept me from eating.  If the ciatic nerve pain flares up or I get a stiff kneck etc. I can just double the dose at the same ratio and get the pain relief.  Everyone's different.  They'll have to experiment.

my brothernlaw often tested at over 800 with his D2. It was only in the hospital that his number would drop to 100-150 or so consistently, even when taken off of insulin for the week. He smoked near an ounce every week, and that didn't stop his pop romance.
The hospital didn't use cannabis of course, but they did cut out the pop and crunchy bags of food he so loved.  soon as he got home, with a 100-150 reading, a week later he'd be dying on the floor to repeat the process. Adding cannabis to an edible may not be the first line of defense with diabetes2.

Tahoe is the dom perignon of cannabis (imo of course), while its never cured a disease in my experience, the cultivar does enhance my day to day activities and is a pleasure to roll, grow, vape, and eat.

Edited by grassmatch

If your making medibles I'd go with cannatonic #4 or perkins cannatonic as you'll want to decarb teh THC and CBD separately.  And maybe something like the purps as it's got no burnout by the description.  Something more sativaish would be better for the day and have a lighter feel to it.

And I'd go with coconut oil caps as they are easy to dose that way and no sugar.

Be sure to add some Lecithin - teaspoon or two to a cup of oil, to help with the bioavailability and absorption.

Adding cannabis to an edible may not be the first line of defense with diabetes2.

Tahoe is the dom perignon of cannabis (imo of course), while its never cured a disease in my experience, the cultivar does enhance my day to day activities and is a pleasure to roll, grow, vape, and eat.

I'm aware that this shouldn't be the first line of defense, however I wont turn someone down who wishes to attempt the use of alternative medicine. He has a good diet from what I'm told, takes care of himself, he is just looking for something to help regulate his condition(s) with less of a big-pharma involvement.

We aren't looking for a "cure" because we aren't one-hundred percent that cannabis can treat all of his illnesses alone. Just to help the fellow out, he's 64 so I'm not going to tell him "No marijuana for you mister, take your drone-pills!"  :yahoo-wave:

Unfortunately, if the Tahoe doesn't have any of the relieving properties for the guy I wont grow it, maybe at some point in the future I'll consider it for a personal choice though.

Good note on the Lecitin, Mike. I'll be reading up on that a bit more. 

I think that bubba might be a little strong for the patient in question, he's never consumed marijuana prior to the pending patient trial. I believe the claim, until retirement he was LEO, I am aiming to make the best impression I can here being his first....desired encounter with it? without like..stoning him out of his mind and re-enforcing the "pot is a drug" mindset that he still somewhat has from his prior duties.

Edit: On a note guys, he has already signed me as his caregiver, paperwork is sent in and all of that jazz.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

That's a good point, I'll have to bring up to him that edibles can be a heavy thing if not done correctly. To be one hundred percent honest here, I'm not completely confident in my ability to produce a stable edible for him...yet. He just really isn't keen on the smoking idea lol.

It'll take some experimenting for sure, but with time I'm sure that something can be figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that cannabis seemed to help stabilize my blood sugar. I'm type 2 and am able to control it with just diet and exercise. It fluctuated quite a bit until I started using the cannabis for pain. It was a pleasant surprise when my A1C stayed at around 5.5 after starting the cannabis. You can use the oil in any sugar free recipe.

Great stuff there Bill , I'm glad (and not, all circumstance) to see that there is a board user with first hand personal experience with this, I may end up having some more questions for you in the future on the subject.

I agree with the overall of how this is going to have to be an experiment,  I'll take your advice on the CBD oil as well here Norb and certainly look into that. 

Thanks for the strain rec FoA, I have seen Star Tonic mentioned around a couple times, something else I'll have to look into as well.

Great stuff there Bill , I'm glad (and not, all circumstance) to see that there is a board user with first hand personal experience with this, I may end up having some more questions for you in the future on the subject.

I agree with the overall of how this is going to have to be an experiment,  I'll take your advice on the CBD oil as well here Norb and certainly look into that. 

Thanks for the strain rec FoA, I have seen Star Tonic mentioned around a couple times, something else I'll have to look into as well.

I saw it on youtube, you should be able to look it up CBD, Diabetes, oil as key words.

I agree Gm, though I ALWAYS find time to grow a new strain, I always make sure to have enough of a plant gap to allow for the addition of new ones for patients. 

On that note, I have many of the strains I do thanks to one particular member of this here board, I'll leave it to him to identify himself if he wants, so super shout-out to him for that, I can't be sure I have said or would ever be able to say thanks enough in that regard.

Norb, I found a video on producing the "Holy Anointing Oil", I'm considering giving this a go to the exact specs provided in the video. Your thoughts here?  

I agree Gm, though I ALWAYS find time to grow a new strain, I always make sure to have enough of a plant gap to allow for the addition of new ones for patients. 

On that note, I have many of the strains I do thanks to one particular member of this here board, I'll leave it to him to identify himself if he wants, so super shout-out to him for that, I can't be sure I have said or would ever be able to say thanks enough in that regard.

Norb, I found a video on producing the "Holy Anointing Oil", I'm considering giving this a go to the exact specs provided in the video. Your thoughts here?  

Don't know enough.  I've only made oil a half dozen times.