Well Worded Request For < Blank > Caregiver

rockinsteady

I sometimes chat with newbies about how to post asking for services and products from a caregiver. I'd like your help in understanding the process of hooking up with er, finding a caregiver through this site. Some who are looking for a fast and possibly illegal purchase have left after I explain they have to go through a caregiver here.

A few reasons for folks to more clearly understand how to properly ask for caregiver services and products:

1. to ease confusion, frustration and repetition on both sides when not enough (or too much) information is provided in the original post

2. keep requests legal sounding and above board, and not needing edits or removal by admins

3. wasted time posting and responding to someone who wants instant gratification rather than a caregiver

3. possibility of creating a request form or at least a pinned boiler plate (template) post as a starting point

What would you like to see in the title and body of posts asking for caregiver services and products?

What do newbies (with few or no posts) need to say or do when requesting a caregiver? 

What questions and negotiations do you include in your private message in response to a request that you'd perhaps prefer to see addressed in the initial post?

What am I missing or didn't think of that might make for smother request postings?

edit: replaced text in first paragraph: hooking up with er, finding

edit: replaced text in second to last paragraph: in response to a request that you'd perhaps prefer to see addressed in the initial post?

edit: threw out the last line - what was I trying to say? **sound of brain flatulence**

Edited by rockinsteady

There are two possibilities, when requesting a CG either they want to buy before a change, or those that are willing to wait.. Perhaps a dislosure from a CG,, Ex. I will not help you till we are registered as CG/Patient, if you require meds on the spot. Go to the corner of  Hall and Division and hang out...

Would like to say that anyone that tells me they dont want to wait.. is suspect to me that they are LEO as in NARCS.... they will get none of my time..

This is a really good point to make to newer board members here, I feel that it is important to identify that people on this board will not (generally) assist with illegal transfers. That's not to say that I'm a saint, I know for a fact I've given a family member a sack for their birthday, but I wouldn't be willing to just hop on my bike and go gung ho to drop a bag to a random internet messenger, card or not.

Personally, I feel that negotiations between caregivers and patients are a very, very important process, and that just selecting the first caregiver you can latch on to isn't always the best choice, even if that choice were me for example. But then again, I'm a very picky in a particular sort; My patients MUST not be my age. They MUST be older individuals. The younger an individual is, the less likely they will be to receive my caregiver services. Even if I myself am quite young respectively, I realize I like less than 98% of people my own age. Not many fulfilling stories, you see, and I really like stories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the subject at hand:

When a patient is searching for a caregiver, I first inquire as to what ailment(s) it is they are looking for relief from. I find it pertinent to state here that I carry a strain portfolio to my patient interviews, showing what they have known to be useful for treating, their effects, tastes, high type, etc. A full bandoleer of medical ammunition so to speak. So, my suggestion here is that it may be useful for the patient in question here to have an idea as to what they are looking for in regards to relief, is my suggestion. From there, much of the conversation is strain info, chit chat, and getting to know the individual. It is here that I reserve the right to leave at any point I feel that the person in question is being dishonest as to their patient interest. (leo, narc, etc).

You see, this is where it is important for me to meet the person IN person for the interview. People can fib on a computer and it come across as gold. This doesn't mean I take meds to the interview, but it also doesn't not mean it. After the person has agreed to be my patient, papers signed, sent in, etc. then that is where the meds come in.

A useful tool for new users to use in the instance that they find themselves searching for a caregiver, could also be found here in the classifieds-- http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/classifieds/

I know that there are postings here from area caregivers offering their services.

I'm sure I definitely missed something, but I have to reiterate that the forum, in my view/experience, is not the place that these people should go for a hookup, it's a place they should feel safe going for a long-time Caregiver, and not only that, a friend. Why? Because I feel that a good relationship between both parties (CG/PT) is absolutely essential. 

Caregiver Flags often found in the first few correspondence, like;

"I'm looking to hook up"

"Just give me your highest thc strain"

"do you have oxy's too"

"Will you front me some nugs till I get paid"

"Dude, I just want to blotto on the couch after work"

"life sucks and I use drugs and alcohol to escape"

"I love binge drinking with sativa's"

"sorry I called your home number, but I'm out, can you drop off a gram or two tonight"

"I showed the officer my card and yours, and he let me go when he ran the paperwork"

"Here's the name of my last caregiver, it's on the card, do you know him?"

Grassmatch favorite patients;

"I'm retired"

"I'm disabled"

"I'm home bound"

"My wife has a card too"

"there are no children in the house"

"We're happily married"

"I've never been arrested"

"I'm over 50"

"man, it's like I've known you forever"

"turns out you're not a prick in real life"

"I really appreciate all those free buds with every delivery"

Other than having this disease I love life "

There are two possibilities, when requesting a CG either they want to buy before a change, or those that are willing to wait.. Perhaps a dislosure from a CG,, Ex. I will not help you till we are registered as CG/Patient, if you require meds on the spot. Go to the corner of  Hall and Division and hang out...

Would like to say that anyone that tells me they dont want to wait.. is suspect to me that they are LEO as in NARCS.... they will get none of my time..

What would the quickest time periods for someone to get through each of these four steps (or more steps if I missed something):

1. one or two days to get past private messaging with you

2. one or two days to finally meet face-to-face, fill both forms, copy the patient's ID, write checks to LARA, and mailing it all in 

3. ?? day wait for LARA to receive the two letters (this date starts the clock for step 4)

4. wait for LARA to send a rejection notice within:

a. 21 days for new card holders

b. ?? days if patient is adding a new caregiver for the first time

c. ?? days if patient is changing from their old caregiver to you being their new caregiver

In step 2. do you ask the person to bring a copy of their proof of residency ID (for example, drivers license), or do you keep a scanner in your car? 

In a perfect world, someone requesting a caregiver would know up front that at least a certain number of weeks must pass before the new caregiver can transfer any meds or genetics (seeds or clones).

This is a really good point to make to newer board members here, I feel that it is important to identify that people on this board will not (generally) assist with illegal transfers. That's not to say that I'm a saint, I know for a fact I've given a family member a sack for their birthday, but I wouldn't be willing to just hop on my bike and go gung ho to drop a bag to a random internet messenger, card or not.

Personally, I feel that negotiations between caregivers and patients are a very, very important process, and that just selecting the first caregiver you can latch on to isn't always the best choice, even if that choice were me for example. But then again, I'm a very picky in a particular sort; My patients MUST not be my age. They MUST be older individuals. The younger an individual is, the less likely they will be to receive my caregiver services. Even if I myself am quite young respectively, I realize I like less than 98% of people my own age. Not many fulfilling stories, you see, and I really like stories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the subject at hand:

When a patient is searching for a caregiver, I first inquire as to what ailment(s) it is they are looking for relief from. I find it pertinent to state here that I carry a strain portfolio to my patient interviews, showing what they have known to be useful for treating, their effects, tastes, high type, etc. A full bandoleer of medical ammunition so to speak. So, my suggestion here is that it may be useful for the patient in question here to have an idea as to what they are looking for in regards to relief, is my suggestion. From there, much of the conversation is strain info, chit chat, and getting to know the individual. It is here that I reserve the right to leave at any point I feel that the person in question is being dishonest as to their patient interest. (leo, narc, etc).

You see, this is where it is important for me to meet the person IN person for the interview. People can fib on a computer and it come across as gold. This doesn't mean I take meds to the interview, but it also doesn't not mean it. After the person has agreed to be my patient, papers signed, sent in, etc. then that is where the meds come in.

A useful tool for new users to use in the instance that they find themselves searching for a caregiver, could also be found here in the classifieds-- http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/classifieds/

I know that there are postings here from area caregivers offering their services.

I'm sure I definitely missed something, but I have to reiterate that the forum, in my view/experience, is not the place that these people should go for a hookup, it's a place they should feel safe going for a long-time Caregiver, and not only that, a friend. Why? Because I feel that a good relationship between both parties (CG/PT) is absolutely essential. 

So you prefer older patients, certainly older than yourself. And, in general, a disabled, stable older person with family supporting medical MJ, may be appealing (kinda' like what grassmatch hints at).

I've told folks to think of what kind of patient they'd want as a caregiver. Tell the truth, but think of the process like dating or a job interview. How do you want to come across in your post, in subsequent private messages, and when you meet in person? Building a relationship is more than a "hook up".

But, we don't necessarily want to tell every poster how to push your buttons, but how to give enough info in their post to get private messages going quickly, efficiently and positively for both parties.

So, to the point of improving someone's first request for a caregiver, you'd like to see early on what strains they are looking for or at least what symptoms they are dealing with. 

I have a small list of personal questions that I ask in forum pm. I digest the answers, clear up any misunderstandings. Still good...I move it to a disposable email address. I ask a couple more even more personal q's, clear up answers, and when we both agree that there is no question of our ability to meet each others expectations I provide a PO Box to mail the completed forms and include a copy of id, with a short timeline and only one excuse for a one week delay. I wont entertain another email for them after that week unless I've received paperwork. I send a weekly menu out, collect requests for 60 days ahead of time also, and if 45 days passes with no delivery request the patient is replaced immediately. I wont deliver less than an ounce, and deliveries must be the amount agreed upon during our initial interview to avoid replacement. Its not my choice, but our initial agreement.

I share a text only number and a new email for any communications at any time. I don't use a phone to talk unless I'm on the road and there's a traffic delay, etc.

I wont knowingly register a felon or a cop. Only experienced carded patients. Soon as I mail our application, they are with specific gifted bud, numbered only, for review.

when my patient tells me their budget is messed up this delivery, I deliver for free. once. after 6 months of no issues. I gift extra buds most often.  I own my registry, because it's my life, my risks, my time, my efforts, my sanity. I accept full responsibility for the way my registry functions. I only keep patients who love what I do, keeping me loved and motivated. Turns out 20-40ish patients with facial tats, drunks, antidepressants/narcotics, jobs, apartments are impossible for me to supply properly. I weed these out with the first question so I don't waste a patients time with my futile efforts.

There have been exceptional 20 ish patients/people in my registry long term even, but these are the exceptions. That takes a special effort on the patient side to keep me interested in the interview. (/musicians/artists/writers/disabled seem to fit occasionally) I only register people who seek me out on the internet, and never meet them before I mail their application, sometimes not even until its accepted, if I still have a bit of apprehension.

after all that, a patients' chemotype is identified enough for me to make educated suggestions. today my long term patients just tell me

the amount they wish, and how many different strains, and let me choose. Strain name only serve to entertain them in conversation it seems. my type of folks for sure, every time.

2centsworth

Edited by grassmatch

Thanks, grassmatch for your candor and detail.

You put a lot of thought and effort into private messages and later emails. If you know you've found a good match, you seal things up with a contract you both agree to up front: very business-like. You have a policy that you can verbalize well (here or with patients, I'm sure). 

You are careful to cover your butt, even putting off meeting until you feel it's right; realizing that the caregiver's side of the contract involves the majority of the risks and danger.

You expect an intense, even loving cg/pt relationship.

i like the idea of a template, or better yet a form that a patient canfill out to make a standardized post. all they have to do is click a few checkboxes...

I have my patient card: yes/no
I'm willing to wait 21 days for paperwork: YES ONLY
My main symptom or desired strains are:
I live in what general location: 
I don't have any facial tats or visible prison tats: NOT NO (or is that a double negative?)

Those wanting a short-term relationship in order to acquire genetics (clones or seeds) after paper work goes through, when and for how long will the caregiver's service be needed in order to better accommodate patient's own grow needs:

... and what else?

Oh, and Willy doesn't have to be the one to answer the "days to wait for paperwork" question. It's open to anyone.
Edited by rockinsteady

lol at the "tats" q.  That's a tricky one. I don't mind tats at all, and kind of tip toe around the subject to avoid insult/hard feelings. Facial tat'd folks need medical marijuana too right.

I think is more of a demographic/age thing. People over 50, ones that match my desired chemotype, would not have tattooed their face in their lifetime is my suspicion.

Depending on the remainder of the interview I might even consider a cool old cat with a felony drug rap from the 70's. 

I have a small list of personal questions that I ask in forum pm. I digest the answers, clear up any misunderstandings. Still good...I move it to a disposable email address. I ask a couple more even more personal q's, clear up answers, and when we both agree that there is no question of our ability to meet each others expectations I provide a PO Box to mail the completed forms and include a copy of id, with a short timeline and only one excuse for a one week delay. I wont entertain another email for them after that week unless I've received paperwork. I send a weekly menu out, collect requests for 60 days ahead of time also, and if 45 days passes with no delivery request the patient is replaced immediately. I wont deliver less than an ounce, and deliveries must be the amount agreed upon during our initial interview to avoid replacement. Its not my choice, but our initial agreement.

I share a text only number and a new email for any communications at any time. I don't use a phone to talk unless I'm on the road and there's a traffic delay, etc.

I wont knowingly register a felon or a cop. Only experienced carded patients. Soon as I mail our application, they are with specific gifted bud, numbered only, for review.

when my patient tells me their budget is messed up this delivery, I deliver for free. once. after 6 months of no issues. I gift extra buds most often.  I own my registry, because it's my life, my risks, my time, my efforts, my sanity. I accept full responsibility for the way my registry functions. I only keep patients who love what I do, keeping me loved and motivated. Turns out 20-40ish patients with facial tats, drunks, antidepressants/narcotics, jobs, apartments are impossible for me to supply properly. I weed these out with the first question so I don't waste a patients time with my futile efforts.

There have been exceptional 20 ish patients/people in my registry long term even, but these are the exceptions. That takes a special effort on the patient side to keep me interested in the interview. (/musicians/artists/writers/disabled seem to fit occasionally) I only register people who seek me out on the internet, and never meet them before I mail their application, sometimes not even until its accepted, if I still have a bit of apprehension.

after all that, a patients' chemotype is identified enough for me to make educated suggestions. today my long term patients just tell me

the amount they wish, and how many different strains, and let me choose. Strain name only serve to entertain them in conversation it seems. my type of folks for sure, every time.

2centsworth

You actualy sign some one w/o meeting them face to face?

I beleive every one can do their thing the way they feel best for them, Me I would never sign a c.g w/o meeting them first, I dont have to get any samples or anything like that, but If I can meet and talk to some one in person that sends up red flags to me.

I dont want to say anyting bad about finding a c.g in here, but I did do that with my 1st c.g, I actualy didnt realy need a c.g but thought well I have my ladys grow rights to fall back on if I made a mistake, and my 1st one was way more than a mistake, I dont compare him to any one on here, nor do I beleive that I would do something that stupid again,,,,the law was new, but mj was not new to me or growing, and I actualy thought I found some one I could work with, he had no clue how to grow but had the beginnings of the right equipment, I found out after I signed with him that he had a court case going for growing out doors in his front yard for the world to see!

Any how a c.g and pt have to make sure they are right for each other, and I dont have any problem how others make their decisions to pick a c.g or a pt,

You need a pt to be a c.g,, their woud be no c.g's if all pt's grew their own or pt's shared amongst them selves, legal or not it seems you can follow the law to the T and  you wind up with a bad c.g or pt,  your life could change for ever if one or the other gets a bug up their arse!

Peace

lol at the "tats" q.  That's a tricky one. I don't mind tats at all, and kind of tip toe around the subject to avoid insult/hard feelings. Facial tat'd folks need medical marijuana too right.

I think is more of a demographic/age thing. People over 50, ones that match my desired chemotype, would not have tattooed their face in their lifetime is my suspicion.

Depending on the remainder of the interview I might even consider a cool old cat with a felony drug rap from the 70's. 

I have no problem with tats, I have them myself, But If I need to I can wear a long pair of pants and short sleeve shirt and you would not see any of them, I used to wear earings when I was a dj and karaoke host!  My kind of bars to work were biker bars and crazy arse bars because I love to have fun, I love to entertain.

But when I was out getting work for my real job I wanted to look respectable, when I was growing up mostly bikers and people in the armed services got tats, they were not the norm back than, Now they are, but on your face!!!  No fricking way,,,lets all be an arse like mike tyson!   My girl go one around her neck that cant be hidden and than she got one on her hand that looks like a santanic symbol, I cant tell you how pp'd of I was, I actualy told her to pack her stuff and get out, your not working your not going to school and you have peircings and tats that you cant hide wtf is wrong with you! (me to her) and this was after I got her back from california working in carnivals!  She falls for the most idiotic guys I have ever met, Im still waiting for one of her punks to get out of jail, he ripped her off and I am gonna knock out a few of his teeth when I see him, no doubt in my mind, he is of age and it will happen in my mud room! 

sorry about getting off subject, I wouldnt be a c.g for freaky looking people and im probably as freaky as them, but I have rules and If you cant respect them you wont get passed a hand shake with me!

Peace

You actualy sign some one w/o meeting them face to face?

Peace

In the beginning I always met them, and always signed them if they seemed cool to me.

realized fast there was much more to my/our satisfaction. I cant help everyone who needs

marijuana, so I first find those who I know I can. theres an excitement meeting someone for breakfast

that you've become close too in a short time online. I don't care what patient looks like, everything I need to know

has already been discovered. I can drop a registration as fast as I send one, but never has that happened since 2010.

there's also much to be said in gaining a persons trust, both ways, in the email. Not every patient will be trusting, but

you know what, that's the first flag I need, and move on, hope that makes sense. You can cross reference my list above with the types that would not trust for instance..

remember I don't care if I have patients or not, I can rock it with 12 plants with no problem, but I got a tight ship,

an expensive one, and laboring for patients in the same space helps pay for those costs. I can wait until just the right patients make contact. when they do its like fireworks every delivery.

"I gonna keep on doing what I've always done, because I keep liking getting what I've always got"(huck finn?)

peace

Personally, looks mean absolutely nothing to me. Tattoos, piercings, notta. They're just accessories to me I suppose. I have a particularly peculiar patient who is in to the "goth" vibe still. More of the "I'm a Norwegian Black Death Metal fan" thing than Goth I guess, but still, he's a funny one in his own way and we get along because of that.

In the event that the pt being interviewed having been a previous convict, I do take into consideration what they were in for, when they were in, but really that's about it. The rest comes from the interaction between them and I. I purposefully ask them questions about their term during the face to face.

I suppose I learn much, much more being face to face with the person than I can in emails, so it's just my preferred method for interviewing. Like grass though, I get much of the info in emails before, I just re-cover those same subjects in the face-to-face to put a personality/speech pattern to a name. This is also where any red flags pop up usually.

I feel like I do my best to accommodate the more "odd" ones, namely because I myself am "odd".

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

Have you ever seen some of the people at dispensaries?  Some people need to be able to just walk in to a store when they need to.  There are some people out there no one should have to deal with.  I'm talking about the can't make up your mind, always late, non respectful patient.  Stores would be better for them.

Basic questions of needs, wants, and expectations, are met through the emails.

I use a generic formula to interview patients, and this happens face to face.

We meet and then I let them talk (always asking open ended questions) while I listen.  People like to talk about themselves, and hurt/sick people do it even more so.  This is when the real person comes to the interview and their true desires are brought to light.  People need to express themselves in order to explain themselves.  

I let the person tell me who they are.  Then I share with them who I am, if we both agree we can work together on common ground, then the conversation continues and paperwork is completed.  

To each their own path.

As with anything human, there is someone for everyone.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, thank you.

Have you ever seen some of the people at dispensaries?  Some people need to be able to just walk in to a store when they need to.  There are some people out there no one should have to deal with.  I'm talking about the can't make up your mind, always late, non respectful patient.  Stores would be better for them.

Cast them into outer darkness (where the stores are)! lol

Basic questions of needs, wants, and expectations, are met through the emails.

I use a generic formula to interview patients, and this happens face to face.

We meet and then I let them talk (always asking open ended questions) while I listen.  People like to talk about themselves, and hurt/sick people do it even more so.  This is when the real person comes to the interview and their true desires are brought to light.  People need to express themselves in order to explain themselves.  

I let the person tell me who they are.  Then I share with them who I am, if we both agree we can work together on common ground, then the conversation continues and paperwork is completed.  

To each their own path.

As with anything human, there is someone for everyone.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, thank you.

Of course you'd say that after what Norby said! hehe

Your approach is like a doctor/salesperson who lets the patient/customer do the talking while listening to see how to fill the need rather than trying to sell something un-wanted and un-needed. You are goal-oriented to conclude a mutually beneficial agreement.

You are a closer.

For me finding a patient or deciding on a patient, the first thing I want to know is what their needs are. Then I can decide whether or not I am capable of fulfilling those needs. I like to discuss it through e-mail or pm so there is record of the entire conversation and agreement. It gives assurance of what we each agreed upon. Needs do change, and they may be better off with a different caregiver if that occurs. I like to end my services on a peaceful note rather than finger pointing.

The next most important thing for me is, do they already poses a hard card. If so, I am willing to start providing medicine as soon as the paperwork is completed, under one condition, I will only provide it free until the 21 days has passed. It gives me a sense of protection since there was no money exchanged. Each having a hard card and paperwork in process, I don't see how I could be found guilty of a crime. Probably not worth the court system's time trying to bust people with existing hard cards and paperwork in process to connect them with no money having been exchanged.

Also, how far way the patient lives should to be taken in consideration along with their needs. For instance, if they are just looking for a free 1/8 per week, I am able to drive quite a distance because I can give them 4 or 5 month's worth at one time. Then I don't mind a long distance. This is always discussed with the patient before signing papers to be sure that will work for them. Just how I have been doing it. Every patient and caregiver has different needs and capabilities.

@AbominableDro-Man - Like you, I pretty much deal with patients who are older than me. It has been much easier keeping our agreements without much drama. In many cases, the younger people I have dealt with kept wanting to barter beyond the agreed amounts and asking for more and more each time. I always suspected that they were selling to others or at least providing to others. I understand for a lot of people it works just fine and maybe that is what other caregivers want. It doesn't bother me what others choose to do, I just don't want to be part of it.

Since the beginning I started being a caregiver. I have made changes since then, and my desires and needs are different than what they used to be. I now prefer to grow on a smaller scale. I stick with patients who have low consumption needs. It has been working out pretty good for me and my patients. Not perfect, we have each made some mistakes, but we have been able to work around them. Of course before sealing the agreement we meet in person to finish up the paperwork.

Again, to me, the most important thing, in order for it all to work out, is the patient is clear up front on what their monthly needs are. It is also important to know and understand what they are looking for by way of medical marijuana. What is the ailment and such. Whether it is a free 1/8 per week or need an ounce per week. It is easier for me to provide a free 1/8 per week over being compensated for an ounce per month! I used to do it that way, but that became a lot of work for me, too much in fact. Another reason why I downsized and made changes. Not in it for the money. Just like to be able to help people and the growing for me is like a hobby. My hobby would be a lot more enjoyable if they would ease up on the law making concentrates legal. it would be awesome if they would make it legal to give free meds to any card holding patient. I don't see why they don't make that legal, free to card holding patients. Just don't see the injustice there. I would happily pay extra for an upgrade on my card to do such a thing. Kind of like the old fishing license where you can add on the trout and salmon stamp for an extra fee. :D

Edited to correct typos and add content

Edited by GrowGoddess

How do you handle people who are entirely new to cannabis? What do you recommend to start? What should a patient request to start?

That's a toughie! You just threw out a curve ball!

It really depends upon the situation. I have a loved one right now that has never used cannabis and they just found out they have a serious and rare cancer. I mentioned that medical marijuana may be a good option. They are a bit against chemo, but is what was chosen. I offered an option. The medical system pumped them up with morphine and had them make a decision while run down, confused, and under the influence. I am not saying that chemo is the wrong choice. I am just saying I am not good at handling people who are entirely new to cannabis. There is not enough acceptance or awareness of cannabis being a quality option. Other than that, if someone is new to cannabis and looking for a caregiver, obviously start off small. Forewarn them not to take too much, be patient and see how it effects them. Whether it is a joint, concentrate, or medible. The best I can do to handle somebody new is to first learn what they want the cannabis for. Point them to different forums and websites to become more educated about cannabis and how it has helped others. Tell them of my experiences and direct them to other people's experiences. Obviously my opinions would be different than other patients and caregivers and would make them aware of that fact.

If they are already familiar with cannabis, they should request whatever their weekly or monthly consumption would be. What I would recommend to start would be a clean, quality organic product. Safe products. I would recommend trying out vaporizing rather than smoking whether it be buds or oil. If they have any blood pressure issues, I would recommend that they keep an eye on it. If they have a serious illness like cancer, I would recommend a quality concentrate to ingest and start off very small.

One important fact would be what they are able to afford by way of compensation and what product would suit them best.

All in all it would fully depend on what the patient wants the cannabis for. Pain? Nausea? Topical for skin or joint issues? Sleep? Anxiety? There are so many variables. For me, if I were a patient, I would be looking for fully organic products. I would only want quality buds to be used or provided. If the patient is lucky enough to have access to concentrates, since it is a gray area (illegal), I would want my concentrate made with a safe solvent.

What they should request after gaining more knowledge and a bit of experience would be a consistent supply that suits their needs that is within their budget.

There are a lot of newer patients out there that don't need more than 1/2 oz of premium per month. That is 1/8 per week. That is about all I smoke to myself, maybe a bit less.

I always recommend to patients who are interested in a concentrate, that whenever possible, make a concentrate themselves so they will know exactly what is in it.

Dealing with a stranger can be uncomfortable. When I first meet with a patient we meet at a coffee shop or some other public place. Sit down together and have a cup while discussing wants, needs, and options.

What would you recommend Zap or anyone else?

How do you handle people who are entirely new to cannabis? What do you recommend to start? What should a patient request to start?

You have me thinking of my grandparents, I'm 34, they're in their late 70s or so. In the 90s when I was getting in typical teenager trouble which had a lot to do with cannibis grandma would scold me about how bad pot is because them dealers lace it etc....

Pretty sure they're not stupid and know I use but times have drastically changed. However I'm sort of prepared for if the topic were to come up ever.

First have them watch Sanjay Gupta's weed documentaries, I know there's things in there we don't like, but they feel better having CNN comfort them first. Then maybe the new one on Netflix a culture high.

Then maybe grandma and grandpa should get some vape pens? :)

I've been dealing with this issue with my most recent patient Zap. I've found that it really helps to be a very, very patient person here. He wanted to start right out with edibles you see, but with careful consideration and taking some boardgoer opinions, I decided that I just couldn't start him on something that I wasn't comfortable making in such a way that wouldn't give him a bad time being his first encounter and all, I fear that the potency may be too high, and once ingested, he can't really get out of it, yknow? That, and the influencing factor of him being a diabetic..anywho...

I found that I had to start him slow, I actually bought him his first pipe, went and helped him find and pick one out, and then sat with him for his first couple of puffs. Being an older gentleman, he drifted towards a general tobacco pipe (I also purchased a small glass piece for him for once the novelty of the tob. pipe wore off), so I offered to sit with him as he tried it for his first go.

He was actually pretty grateful, said he doesn't think he'd have bothered trying it if I'd just left it there for him. I think it's important to convey that these people are patients, not criminals, and that by ingesting their medication they are not doing anything wrong.