Most Efficient And Easiest Way To Extract

Hey folks...looking for an opinion on the best way to extract from trim, or even whole bud. I've been growing for 40 yrs, fairly steadily, and got that part down to perfection. Have used bubble bags for decades (working on the 3rd set) and get AAA quality bubble that's always spoken for long before its even produced. Also have made up several dozen large batches of budder with good results.

Have NOT ever experimented with any other ways of extracting concentrates with solvents at all, and wonder if that could be a better way to get the best and most from say....a couple lbs of trim or bud?

Not interested in hiring an extraction company to have it done for a price...this has to be 100% my own project and equipment, and truthfully...am very happy with the bubble bags yield and quality, but am wondering if using a solvent method would yield more end product? There are a few new "buzzwords" for extracts and methods, so wonder if maybe any new super productive methods may be more productive and potent. 

Solvents always scared me a little so stayed away from them. Danger of fire, and harmfull vapors and fumes seemed like more hassle than I wanted to undertake, but if some new extraction method is head and shoulders above making bubble hash as far as yield or potency, may give it a try. Have sorta checked out Shatter, BHO, and Simpson Oil methods, but not in depth, and wonder if its going to be worth the extra effort, and changing to a new method.

Rosin. 

Rosin.

Please elaborate?

rosin is one of two things. One of the methods is pressing flowers between two heat sources and pressing the goodies (and some not so goodies) out onto parchment paper or a screen. The second method is pressing dry sift of bubble and making dabs/manageable hash. They are going nuts out west for this.

rosin is one of two things. One of the methods is pressing flowers between two heat sources and pressing the goodies (and some not so goodies) out onto parchment paper or a screen. The second method is pressing dry sift of bubble and making dabs/manageable hash. They are going nuts out west for this.

I am currently trimming flowers over top a sift screen and pressing the sift using only a temperature regulated hair straightener for now.  In proccess of building a hydraulic press.  Using 220 micron sift screen and pressing with a 32 micron bag, i have obtained a 45% return off crude sift of premium dabbable material.

• 3 weeks later...

it works, but....

the components are straight out of the appliance repair mans tool box. the result leave the user with a blob of frozen water mixed with cannabis oil. Once the water is removed the oil is tight. Yields are half what a closed loop butane or a larger scale c02 unit could produce. It rickety, built in a garage I think, by a creative appliance repairman.

Unfortunately he could not keep the operating oil out of the finished oil.....oh well, soon it will be perfect. now, worth about 500 bucks as is imo.

it works, but....

the components are straight out of the appliance repair mans tool box. the result leave the user with a blob of frozen water mixed with cannabis oil. Once the water is removed the oil is tight. Yields are half what a closed loop butane or a larger scale c02 unit could produce. It rickety, built in a garage I think, by a creative appliance repairman.

Unfortunately he could not keep the operating oil out of the finished oil.....oh well, soon it will be perfect. now, worth about 500 bucks as is imo.

Watched the video out of curiosity (nothing I would ever buy) but didn't see any mention of "operating oil" or where it is and how it would even get mixed in.

User reviews are mostly positive of the unit. Nothing similar in it's price range except that DIYers say something similar can be built for about $600. Downsides are numerous: low yields, passive system that relies on heat, no Co2 recycling, poorly designed fill tube, and fininicky packing/limit on fineness of herb.

I've had personal experience with one that looked exactly like the one in the video, but I don't remember a sticker/name.

If you've ever used a vacuum pump you'll find oil is "consumed" quickly. It actually comes out of the exhaust I think. I don't know the science behind it

but that oil in this device above, is using a vac pump of some sort I think, and anyways it "consumes" oil in the same way. maybe there is a safe oil to use not sure?

the commercial units do not operate this way.   The one above was fun to watch but what a pain in the but to clean the end result, reboot for the next run imo. If it wasn't for the mystery oil consumption/exhaust and the nasty mess left behind in the oil I prolly would have one a couple years ago when I saw it locally. I love all devices cannabis.

• 1 month later...

mechanical separation is safest and yields are dependent on material "quality" used. These yields are typically higher because of the rogue plant material that stays with the concentrate. I prefer a dry sift with proper micron screening to avoid the whole water exposure part.

As long as the extract is within legal weights I don't see them as illegal, but ask Zap, he'll let you know. the hoopla is about being able to weigh the active controlled ingredients infused within an edible for example, that weights more by itself than the allowed amount of possession.

A solvent extraction may be "cleaner" and more "potent" by weight as it may lack plant material. One major issue using solvents is guaranteed removal, which relies on weights and measures, high temps, or time. Another is flammability, toxicity, legality,  fumes. Not many solvents are human friendly when ingested/inhaled so a proper removal/reclaim is an absolute must. NButane is expensive and difficult to purchase but is the polarity king for our purpose because it targets ingredients we seek accurately. Canned butane is for sale at many stores, cheap too, might be purity issues, not sure. 99% iso is readily available, a little lower on the polarity list, but makes a fine concentrate. I wouldn't suggest going into any other type of "at home" solvent use without rotational evaporators, Tamisium, EdenLabs or other lab approved extraction systems

A Honey Bee extractor is a superb intro to canned butane extraction yielding as well as any. Cannabis and butane temps will dial this little gem to perfection.

"Pollen Extractor" on amazon is the bomb for a fast shake mechanical extraction and yields are better than my hash bags every time. Trichs are ready to use immediately and no water issues.

stay safe

Please allow me to introduce myself so that what I share below may be carefully considered in such a brief explanation.

I am the owner of Tamisium Extractors and hold the patent on the process that 1000s of people are using to produce extractions.

I have read in this forum some post that may be misleading and wanted to extend my assistance to help all that own a tamisium or any extractor and may be reading this post.

It is important to understand some basic principles of physics in order to run a system efficiently and know how to run it pump free if it can be. Running efficiently and pump free will open many doors in regards to what one can do when targeting or avoiding specific chemical compounds created by a plant.

It is important to lay down some specifications to clear up some misconceptions for the base models which is important in understanding how an extractor can perform.

In addition I will cover some key features and capabilities of the advanced models that are run by a computer.

Lets get into the physics of extraction and extractors so you will know what a system should be capable of doing.

After all you are buying an extractor to extract with. So you should understand extraction first and then select your extractor.

It has become all too common for an extractor to be built by someone that has not fully understood extraction while using the customer to teach them the shortcomings. We extracted for 15 years before selling this system to the public.

• It is important to understand that with a solvent tank that is properly matched to the plant column it is possible to perform an extraction at any speed any temperature with any combination of solvents. That solvent tank is carefully designed can allow you to recover your flammable solvents while under pressure without the aid of pumps of any kind. It cost a little more to do that but it is safer and cheaper for the customer.

The other cheaper way is only cheaper for the manufacturer. A pump system always fails, breaks down and has to be repaired replaced and rebuilt while risking your safety to do it and eliminating all your controls. Let me explain.

• Properly matched volumes, or proper loading ratios, means that you are using a solvent tank that holds an adequate amount of solvent to dissolve and wash out everything the plant has produced that is contained in that volume of space in the plant column. So long as the solvents polarity matches the polarity of what you are dissolving you will be able to target a specific chemical compound or array and extract all of it out.

You use heat and time to increase OR decrease the effectiveness of the solvent to do that.

Using a system that is not volumized means you are not using enough solvent to extract everything from the plant and are therefore forced to recover it and LOOP it back through over and over again. Imagine that this looping adds extreme contact times and can possibly darken or

extract unwanted compounds. The users are forced to reduce the solvent temperature with cold dry ice sleeves in an archaic attempt to decrease the effectiveness of the solvents ability to dissolve things such as wax lipids or dark chemical compounds. It would make more sense to make a larger solvent tank and extract faster with mild cold temps.

By reducing time temp and changing polarity you can avoid and include just about anything.

By adding time and temp you are including everything based on polarity match.

Example,

Wax does not melt at freezing temps but if given enough time it will be dissolved in butane because it matches the polarity of butane.  Oil comes out first and wax is second because oil is easier to dissolve so dont give it the time or temp.

Ethanol melts ice by mixing with the water molecules in the ice and changing their melting point to match the avg of the ice and waters melting points based on their % of mixture.

Ice does not melt below 32F and would not be dissolved by Butane because they are opposite polarity. Drop them in ethanol and you will see that depending on the temperature of the ethanol they will dissolve at various speeds.

We use these basic principles of chemistry to target and avoid.

So it is imperative to be able to control, turn on or off or change, temperature, contact time, and polarity and then be able to repeat that with a properly volumized solvent tank and plant column. It is more complicated than just being able to move solvent and recover it.

• Another key feature of a Tamisium that not only allows you to be pump free but also allows you to extract silently and safely are the tanks designs.

When designing any system that uses evaporation either induced by an unsafe artificial recovery process or distillation it is vital that you build a fast evaporation tank. Much like when you are cooking and trying to reduce a liquid. It would be faster in a short fat pan than a narrow tall pan. There is a carefully calculated ratio of time, temperature height, width, conduction, convection and surface areas that allow a passive closed system to run smoothly and SAFELY as the solvent evaporates away from one tank to the other.

You should be able to look at a system to establish if the designer knows how to build tanks or knows how to build extractors.

• The seals on the tanks cannot be borrowed from a sanitary industry that deals with liquids like Milk, Cooking oils, Water and so on. Those solvents are not as aggressive as the solvents used in a lab and you will develop premature unpredictable seal failures.

Combine those failures with a noisy operation that disables you ability to hear a leak and the failure will result in an ignition and possible fire or explosion. Especially when that noise is caused by a reciprocating engine that will fail. Every heard of the 100k mile warranty. And yeah, explosion proof is cool, but not when it fails.

TE175 has a 175 milliliter space in the plant column which holds 2 ounces.

All systems above that in size are built in 4x capacity meaning a TE700 is 4x larger and so on.

That extractor is designed to recover in 60 minutes using only ice as the condensing temp input. That is a worst case scenario so as not to over promise results.

Higher wattage cooling can reduce recovery time to 15 minutes.

These results are with pure butane that does not have propane mixed with it.

Propane boils at -55F and creates a higher pressure that prevents butane from boiling which boils at 32F.

Using mixed lighter fuels that add propane because they require lower temps to boil so that a lighter will work in a larger range of temps will cause problems in a distillation process. That will prevent you from recovering all your solvent at any decent rate of speed because solvent evaporate in the order of boiling points. Lower point first.

All butane solvents in all extracts can easily be reduced to 5 ppm and 0 if desired.

The TE700 is designed to work with 1 recovery tank in 4 hours with ice. However it is a common fact that 20 minute recovery times can be achieved with higher wattage cooling.

An example of how wattage in cooling can deliver these speeds can be seen on another forum here. This customer along with many are recovering in 20 minutes. I am not talking about a loop process that brags about recovering the solvent while hiding the fact that have to do that 3 or 4 times while looping it through to complete the extraction. I am talking about recovering at one time 4x the solvent that the plant column would hold.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7275092#post7275092

Then you have the TE3000 and TE12000.

TE3000 1 kilo extractor is capable of performing 8 extractions per day with low wattage cooling and many more with higher wattage cooling. This higher wattage can allow as many as 24 extractions per day.

TE12000 designed worst case scenario with low wattage will extract and recover from 10 pounds 3x per day but can run as many as 12 runs or 120 pounds per day with high wattage cooling.

These extractors can do this all while allowing you to extract as fast as you want to avoid darker extractions, eliminating the need for dry ice sleeves and or as cold as you want or as slow and warm as you want with any combination of solvent to target or avoid anything in any plant.

If there are any questions please post and please stay on topic.

If you are a competitor and want to compare systems please disclose who you are. Everyone will know who you are when all your comments are negative without any desire for an answer. I will answer your questions so long as I am not teaching you how to build an extractor.

The images below demonstrate the vast amount of data that should be available in an extraction process. This is the data that one creates and repeats to create the variety of products an extractor should allow you to create. If it does not allow you to do this then you are running half full if that.

This data does not just keep up with temperatures, fill speeds and solvent combinations, it correlates that recipe or formula with an analysis of the output and learns from what it did every time it runs. In other words it plots a three point graph and then fills in the rest of the plots on the curve it created so you dont have to do anything else. The data is compiled from all our customers on the network. This is a Tamisium Extractor.

The smaller manual operations can do exactly the same thing but the user has to know what is capable. Looking at the computer run model can help you see that. It is only then that you can see where all the extractor processes are in regards to being fully capable of not.

For those that just dont seem to get it. No problem because we do and we have an automated solution for you.

automation TE12000 tamisium 4

The 2nd image is of a 2 Solvent Tank System which is a hybrid of liquid heating and cooling and removable silicone jackets.

Other options are all liquid heating and cooling jacketed tanks which omit the 2nd Solvent tank as shown. This option requires higher wattage

cooling but that equates to lower cost double production times with one tank as shown in the manual systems described above.

automation TE12000 tamisium

automation TE12000 tamisium 2

As you can see in the following photos you can select from not only butane but any solvent with a lower pressure than isobutane. Any solvent or combination of solvents formulas can be created stored and retrieved for future use by simply choosing it from the list of stored solvent formulas.

The reason for this is a tamisium process is a safer process but only when it can avoid the use of any reciprocating pump to recover any pressurized flammable solvent. That means you are limited to solvents that can be distilled at practical temperatures. Propane boils and condenses at -55F which is not practical and should be avoided. In addition, propane is avoided because it is not as selective as butane when extracting non polar chemicals compounds. When selecting a solvent to target you want one that is very selective so you can sort of tune in on what you want and vary widen the target if needed. Using a non selective solvent like CO2 or propane is sort of like buying a stereo with a volume control that goes from 4-10 rather than 1-10.

automation TE12000 tamisium 3

automation TE12000 tamisium 5

A lot of people ask how I came up with the name Tamisium. I did not come up with the name. I borrowed it from the Latin Language. Tamisium is a Latin word that simply means to filter or sieve. We are immersing plant matter or any medium in a liquid solvent that matches the polarity of the target in the plant matter. We use Time and Temperature to increase or limit the solvents ability to do that. Then we wash it out and filter the plant matter away as we rinse it clean with an appropriate amount of solvent. Tamisium is a word best suited for the title.

To be clear, a SOLVEnt is anything that disSOLVEs anything else. This can be a gas like CO2 or a liquid like Water Ethanol or Pet Ether. That mixture is then called a Solute. When they are separated again, the solvent is a solvent again and the remaining extract is either called a Concrete, Absolute or Essential Oil in the case of oils. What most do not know is that the first extraction phase from the plant is called a solid to liquid phase extraction. It is when the chemical compounds are put into this liquid phase that normally precedes the true extraction or isolation. Because now the molecules extracted are mobile in a sort of liquid hightway system that allows them to be moved apart and isolated based on their physical properties such as size, weight, boiling point if they are a liquid that boils or sublimation temperature if they are a solid that vaporizes. All condense at some point and can even have their polarity changed and changed back again so they can be separated in a simple separator funnel such as when isolating alkaloids or acids by base and acid washes.

Butane is the safest of all the solvent choices because it is the only solvent that boils at a low enough temp to be effective at extracting and leaving behind terpenes after it is removed. IT IS non toxic unlike some of the other flammable choices. AND it can be removed by distillation alone. There is no safer way to recover a flammable solvent than by simply dropping its temperature to a point that would freeze water. The dangers are in the extraction process, not the solvents used. Just like a gun or car.

I understand the extraction process very well and can answer questions if anyone has anything they want to ask.

My goal is to help you extract VERY well from anything and to learn how to extract safely.

Kind Regards

David McGhee

Tamisium Extractors CEO.

I am confused why this forum would allow post on instructions to make extracts or concentrates as they are clearly ill eagle and not covered under our mmj act. It seems this would be comparable to an instructional on making a meth lab or pipe bombs. Steep comparison, I know but really, how can we be taken seriously if we promote ill eagle activities? I'm not saying don't extract, I'm staying it's brainless to promote ill eagle activity then turn around and ask the public to take us seriously as a legal entity? Not to mention this seems like a commercial for this persons product.

Hello David,

Please allow me to introduce myself so that what I share below may be carefully considered in such a brief explanation.

I am the owner of Tamisium Extractors and hold the patent on the process that 1000s of people are using to produce extractions.

I have read in this forum some post that may be misleading and wanted to extend my assistance to help all that own a tamisium or any extractor and may be reading this post.

It is important to understand some basic principles of physics in order to run a system efficiently and know how to run it pump free if it can be. Running efficiently and pump free will open many doors in regards to what one can do when targeting or avoiding specific chemical compounds created by a plant.

It is important to lay down some specifications to clear up some misconceptions for the base models which is important in understanding how an extractor can perform.

In addition I will cover some key features and capabilities of the advanced models that are run by a computer.

Lets get into the physics of extraction and extractors so you will know what a system should be capable of doing.

After all you are buying an extractor to extract with. So you should understand extraction first and then select your extractor.

It has become all too common for an extractor to be built by someone that has not fully understood extraction while using the customer to teach them the shortcomings. We extracted for 15 years before selling this system to the public.

• It is important to understand that with a solvent tank that is properly matched to the plant column it is possible to perform an extraction at any speed any temperature with any combination of solvents. That solvent tank is carefully designed can allow you to recover your flammable solvents while under pressure without the aid of pumps of any kind. It cost a little more to do that but it is safer and cheaper for the customer.

The other cheaper way is only cheaper for the manufacturer. A pump system always fails, breaks down and has to be repaired replaced and rebuilt while risking your safety to do it and eliminating all your controls. Let me explain.

• Properly matched volumes, or proper loading ratios, means that you are using a solvent tank that holds an adequate amount of solvent to dissolve and wash out everything the plant has produced that is contained in that volume of space in the plant column. So long as the solvents polarity matches the polarity of what you are dissolving you will be able to target a specific chemical compound or array and extract all of it out.

You use heat and time to increase OR decrease the effectiveness of the solvent to do that.

Using a system that is not volumized means you are not using enough solvent to extract everything from the plant and are therefore forced to recover it and LOOP it back through over and over again. Imagine that this looping adds extreme contact times and can possibly darken or

extract unwanted compounds. The users are forced to reduce the solvent temperature with cold dry ice sleeves in an archaic attempt to decrease the effectiveness of the solvents ability to dissolve things such as wax lipids or dark chemical compounds. It would make more sense to make a larger solvent tank and extract faster with mild cold temps.

By reducing time temp and changing polarity you can avoid and include just about anything.

Example,

Wax does not melt at freezing temps but if given enough time it will be dissolved in butane because it matches the polarity of butane.  Oil comes out first and wax is second because oil is easier to dissolve so dont give it the time or temp.

Ethanol melts ice by mixing with the water molecules in the ice and changing their melting point to match the avg of the ice and waters melting points based on their % of mixture.

Ice does not melt below 32F and would not be dissolved by Butane because they are opposite polarity. Drop them in ethanol and you will see that depending on the temperature of the ethanol they will dissolve at various speeds.

So it is imperative to be able to control, turn on or off or change, temperature, contact time, and polarity and then be able to repeat that with a properly volumized solvent tank and plant column. It is more complicated than just being able to move solvent and recover it.

• Another key feature of a Tamisium that not only allows you to be pump free but also allows you to extract silently and safely are the tanks designs.

When designing any system that uses evaporation either induced by an unsafe artificial recovery process or distillation it is vital that you build a fast evaporation tank. Much like when you are cooking and trying to reduce a liquid. It would be faster in a short fat pan than a narrow tall pan. There is a carefully calculated ratio of time, temperature height, width, conduction, convection and surface areas that allow a passive closed system to run smoothly and SAFELY as the solvent evaporates away from one tank to the other.

You should be able to look at a system to establish if the designer knows how to build tanks or knows how to build extractors.

• The seals on the tanks cannot be borrowed from a sanitary industry that deals with liquids like Milk, Cooking oils, Water and so on. Those solvents are not as aggressive as the solvents used in a lab and you will develop premature unpredictable seal failures.

Combine those failures with a noisy operation that disables you ability to hear a leak and the failure will result in an ignition and possible fire or explosion. Especially when that noise is caused by a reciprocating engine that will fail. Every heard of the 100k mile warranty. And yeah, explosion proof is cool, but not when it fails.

All systems above that in size are built in 4x capacity meaning a TE700 is 4x larger and so on.

That extractor is designed to recover in 60 minutes using only ice as the condensing temp input. That is a worst case scenario so as not to over promise results.

Propane boils at -55F and creates a higher pressure that prevents butane from boiling which boils at 32F.

Using mixed lighter fuels that add propane because they require lower temps to boil so that a lighter will work in a larger range of temps will cause problems in a distillation process. That will prevent you from recovering all your solvent at any decent rate of speed because solvent evaporate in the order of boiling points. Lower point first.

All butane solvents in all extracts can easily be reduced to 5 ppm and 0 if desired.

The TE700 is designed to work with 1 recovery tank in 4 hours with ice. However it is a common fact that 20 minute recovery times can be achieved with higher wattage cooling.

An example of how wattage in cooling can deliver these speeds can be seen on another forum here. This customer along with many are recovering in 20 minutes. I am not talking about a loop process that brags about recovering the solvent while hiding the fact that have to do that 3 or 4 times while looping it through to complete the extraction. I am talking about recovering at one time 4x the solvent that the plant column would hold.

TE3000 1 kilo extractor is capable of performing 8 extractions per day with low wattage cooling and many more with higher wattage cooling. This higher wattage can allow as many as 24 extractions per day.

TE12000 designed worst case scenario with low wattage will extract and recover from 10 pounds 3x per day but can run as many as 12 runs or 120 pounds per day with high wattage cooling.

These extractors can do this all while allowing you to extract as fast as you want to avoid darker extractions, eliminating the need for dry ice sleeves and or as cold as you want or as slow and warm as you want with any combination of solvent to target or avoid anything in any plant.

If you are a competitor and want to compare systems please disclose who you are. Everyone will know who you are when all your comments are negative without any desire for an answer. I will answer your questions so long as I am not teaching you how to build an extractor.

The images below demonstrate the vast amount of data that should be available in an extraction process. This is the data that one creates and repeats to create the variety of products an extractor should allow you to create. If it does not allow you to do this then you are running half full if that.

This data does not just keep up with temperatures, fill speeds and solvent combinations, it correlates that recipe or formula with an analysis of the output and learns from what it did every time it runs. In other words it plots a three point graph and then fills in the rest of the plots on the curve it created so you dont have to do anything else. The data is compiled from all our customers on the network. This is a Tamisium Extractor.

The smaller manual operations can do exactly the same thing but the user has to know what is capable. Looking at the computer run model can help you see that. It is only then that you can see where all the extractor processes are in regards to being fully capable of not.

For those that just dont seem to get it. No problem because we do and we have an automated solution for you.

The 2nd image is of a 2 Solvent Tank System which is a hybrid of liquid heating and cooling and removable silicone jackets.

Other options are all liquid heating and cooling jacketed tanks which omit the 2nd Solvent tank as shown. This option requires higher wattage

cooling but that equates to lower cost double production times with one tank as shown in the manual systems described above.

As you can see in the following photos you can select from not only butane but any solvent with a lower pressure than isobutane. Any solvent or combination of solvents formulas can be created stored and retrieved for future use by simply choosing it from the list of stored solvent formulas.

The reason for this is a tamisium process is a safer process but only when it can avoid the use of any reciprocating pump to recover any pressurized flammable solvent. That means you are limited to solvents that can be distilled at practical temperatures. Propane boils and condenses at -55F which is not practical and should be avoided. In addition, propane is avoided because it is not as selective as butane when extracting non polar chemicals compounds. When selecting a solvent to target you want one that is very selective so you can sort of tune in on what you want and vary widen the target if needed. Using a non selective solvent like CO2 or propane is sort of like buying a stereo with a volume control that goes from 4-10 rather than 1-10.

A lot of people ask how I came up with the name Tamisium. I did not come up with the name. I borrowed it from the Latin Language. Tamisium is a Latin word that simply means to filter or sieve. We are immersing plant matter or any medium in a liquid solvent that matches the polarity of the target in the plant matter. We use Time and Temperature to increase or limit the solvents ability to do that. Then we wash it out and filter the plant matter away as we rinse it clean with an appropriate amount of solvent. Tamisium is a word best suited for the title.

To be clear, a SOLVEnt is anything that disSOLVEs anything else. This can be a gas like CO2 or a liquid like Water Ethanol or Pet Ether. That mixture is then called a Solute. When they are separated again, the solvent is a solvent again and the remaining extract is either called a Concrete, Absolute or Essential Oil in the case of oils. What most do not know is that the first extraction phase from the plant is called a solid to liquid phase extraction. It is when the chemical compounds are put into this liquid phase that normally precedes the true extraction or isolation. Because now the molecules extracted are mobile in a sort of liquid hightway system that allows them to be moved apart and isolated based on their physical properties such as size, weight, boiling point if they are a liquid that boils or sublimation temperature if they are a solid that vaporizes. All condense at some point and can even have their polarity changed and changed back again so they can be separated in a simple separator funnel such as when isolating alkaloids or acids by base and acid washes.

Butane is the safest of all the solvent choices because it is the only solvent that boils at a low enough temp to be effective at extracting and leaving behind terpenes after it is removed. IT IS non toxic unlike some of the other flammable choices. AND it can be removed by distillation alone. There is no safer way to recover a flammable solvent than by simply dropping its temperature to a point that would freeze water. The dangers are in the extraction process, not the solvents used. Just like a gun or car.

I understand the extraction process very well and can answer questions if anyone has anything they want to ask.

My goal is to help you extract VERY well from anything and to learn how to extract safely.

Kind Regards

David McGhee

Tamisium Extractors CEO.

well said sir. I thoroughly enjoy working with the your Tamisium each and every time, thanks for a great product and explanation.

good day

I am confused why this forum would allow post on instructions to make extracts or concentrates as they are clearly ill eagle and not covered under our mmj act. It seems this would be comparable to an instructional on making a meth lab or pipe bombs. Steep comparison, I know but really, how can we be taken seriously if we promote ill eagle activities? I'm not saying don't extract, I'm staying it's brainless to promote ill eagle activity then turn around and ask the public to take us seriously as a legal entity? Not to mention this seems like a commercial for this persons product.

I hear you. but then some can prove that concentrates are actually legal if they are a preparation thereof cannabis. If they have plant material within they are covered. Without post filtration plant material remains in most extractions. I can see some right now.

There are several types of extractions to consider also. A simple shake over a screen produces a viable concentrate. When we smoke or vaporize I believe we are simply and crudely extracting active compounds with heat. when we squish buds with a hair curler to get the oil out, same thing.

for thought;

Planting more than 12 per registration is illegal too, we talk about that, instructions included

Applying Eagle to your medicinal cannabis is also illegal, and we thoroughly discuss those actions here too.

Dispensaries are thought to be illegal and we recommend them by name and location often.

Trading/selling clones, seeds is also not covered and we openly discuss it  often.

Growing and possessing cannabis in MI remains illegal, be safe :dodgyrun::P

Meth labs and pipe bombs are most likely hurting people.

Cannabis oil helps people with their medical use of cannabis.

Cannabis oil is no doubt a preparation of marihuana and there is a quantity that would fit in with the 2.5 ounce limit. 

Some peaceful civil disobedience in the context of bad court decisions and positive outcomes for patients' medical use is appropriate on this forum. 

It's a delicate balance between helping patients with their medical use and warnings to stay safe. 

I am confused why this forum would allow post on instructions to make extracts or concentrates as they are clearly ill eagle and not covered under our mmj act.

because an extraction is a mixture or preparation of usable marihuana and is protected under section 4.

the court of appeals ruling is talking about extracting resin from mature stalks. which , sec4 does not protect a mixture or preparation of mature stalks, only the mature stalks themselves are protected.

because an extraction is a mixture or preparation of usable marihuana and is protected under section 4.

the court of appeals ruling is talking about extracting resin from mature stalks. which , sec4 does not protect a mixture or preparation of mature stalks, only the mature stalks themselves are protected.

I'm not agreeing with that. It about as misguided as the ideas the COA comes up with. Stalks are always protected when you are a legal grower. In any quantity. And if you could make oil out of stalks that would be protected as usable preparation of marihuana, just like if you made it from buds.

No one has said anything about any ill eagles.

:D

DavidMcGhee

Would you be so kind to expound on the use and reclaim(complete removal?) of D-Limonene as a solvent when extracting essential oils from a flower?

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

It's obviously an advertisement by the guy selling the device.

I think he should become a paying member or he's just spamming the forum. 

Example,

Kind Regards

David McGhee

Tamisium Extractors CEO.

I disagree that butane is the only solvent with a low enough boiling point to leave terpenes behind.  I have not got it tested but definitely recognize the smell when I make oil with Isopropyl alcohol and space dawg.  I can smell the terpenes in all the oils I make but I don't boil off the iso I keep it at about 140 for the 12 hours it takes to heat it off.  The final purge hits 200+ but still keeps the terpenes.  And cnsidering the boiling point of some terpenes is higher than the boiling point for THC and CBD I'd think that those terpenes would not be boiled off unless the THC abd CBD were also boiled off.  Maybe my confusion is in the phrase "the only solvent that boils off low enough to keep ALL the terpenes".

And a counter distiller and everclear seems to be the safest for medibles considering anything left behind is edible.  I just started using this method with my cannatonic since I only make medibles from it and it's easy to decarb visually and it's a pain to trim, win win.  So if you need to decarb your oil it seems the tamisium looses value in that situation?

Edited by Norby

I disagree that butane is the only solvent with a low enough boiling point to leave terpenes behind.  I have not got it tested but definitely recognize the smell when I make oil with Isopropyl alcohol and space dawg.  I can smell the terpenes in all the oils I make but I don't boil off the iso I keep it at about 140 for the 12 hours it takes to heat it off.  The final purge hits 200+ but still keeps the terpenes.  And cnsidering the boiling point of some terpenes is higher than the boiling point for THC and CBD I'd think that those terpenes would not be boiled off unless the THC abd CBD were also boiled off.

I agree. And even if your extraction gets up to the boiling point of alcohol there are still plenty of terpenes left behind. I can taste and smell them. So can others. 

I'm not agreeing with that. It about as misguided as the ideas the COA comes up with. Stalks are always protected when you are a legal grower. In any quantity. And if you could make oil out of stalks that would be protected as usable preparation of marihuana, just like if you made it from buds.

maybe my previous post was wrong, stalk resin oil would be counted as marihuana and not "usable marihuana" as "usable marihuana" means the dried leaves and flowers or any preparation/mixture of dried leaves or flowers.

same reason root preparations wouldnt be counted as "usable marihuana".

I think this info is very informative just like the posts by testing labs, professional growers from other states etc. Using butane is a fact. people use it daily to make oils. some don't know how to do it safely. Anything anyone can do to teach safe methods of butane extraction has my vote.

Save the patients!! Free the Oils!

maybe it would be counted as marihuana and not "usable marihuana" as "usable marihuana" means the dried leaves and flowers or any preparation/mixture of dried leaves or flowers.

same reason root preparations wouldnt be counted as "usable marihuana".

I call BS. 

A preparation of marihuana is ANY preparation of marijuana. Doesn't matter what part of the plant it came from.

It seems the COA sent your brain down a rabbit hole.