This Officer Went Above And Beyond...

Police Officer Gives a Ride to College Student and Changes His Life

Officer-John-Shipman-raises-money-to-buy

An Arkansas police officer, who saw a young man walking down the road at two o’clock in the morning on a frigid cold night, stopped to ask if he wanted a ride. The chance encounter ended up changing the college student’s life.

Jonesboro Police Officer John Shipman learned that James Taylor, an Arkansas State University student didn’t have a car, and walked four miles to get to his job at McDonald’s, no matter the weather.

Afterward, Shipman posted on Facebook about the encounter: “His family is the usual. One parent and can’t afford to help…. He gets off at the same time tomorrow night. I told him I would be be by to see if he needs a ride.”

John’s friends were eager to help out the pre-pharmacy sophomore who exhibited such a solid work ethic, so Shipman set up a GoFundMe campaign to “buy James a car.”

“And when I woke up the next morning, it had took off,” Shipman told the local news station, KAIT.

In just 3 days, the initial $1,400 goal was surpassed.

“The community’s response to this has just humbled me,” Shipman said. “With so much negative in the news it feels good to hear about something positive.”

More than one hundred people and businesses have donated online and in person. As of today, over $5,700 had been raised — enough for a car, and insurance for a couple years.-

I know it's just one guy, and one kid, but if we all took time out of our day to help others out, this world would be a better place.  Kudos to the officer that made a difference in this kids life.

Some officers aren't that bad. Yesterday I was headed north on I-75 and saw a state cop with an older Buick pulled over and a few black folks standing outside. I thought to myself " typical traffic stop for driving while black." Turns out the state cop was changing a tire for these folks. It reminded me of getting pulled over by a state cop in the same area years ago while I was headed north pulling a trailer. He told me that my trailer lights were not working. He helped me clean up the wiring connections, checked the lights, and then wished me a safe trip.

one out of a million  ,, nice specs... not!..... just like a snake.. you can handle it most times, then wham outta no were you get bite... dont change my views of the  kak suckers.!!

Edited by Willy

just like a snake.. you can handle it most times, then wham outta no were you get bite..

That's the scary thing, you never know how they will react in any given situation.

Will they help you out of your dilemma or beat you up because it took too long to find your drivers license?

one out of a million  ,, nice specs... not!..... just like a snake.. you can handle it most times, then wham outta no were you get bite... dont change my views of the  kak suckers.!!

You disliking the police isn't going to change things, all we can do is make the best of our lives, and try to make things better for the next generation.  You can complain about them, or try to get an understanding, and change their viewpoint, when you encounter them.  Calling an entire group of people names doesn't do anything positive, and increases the distance between us. 

We're all so quick to fall from the positive, and run to the negative...

Edited by slipstar059