Defoliation Help

Radar5756

This is my first attempt at defoliation. I'm using a 7 gallon container. 6 parts pro mix and 1 part emerald Mountain for my medium. 600 watt HPS light in a 4x4x7 tent. While in veg I removed most of the fan leaves. I did top the plant once at the 3rd node while in its early stages. This is where I'm at after 6 days in flower. Bushy thing. It measures 20" wide by 16 high.

post-38991-0-81203500-1430925889_thumb.jpg

post-38991-0-02017500-1430925929_thumb.jpg

post-38991-0-92471100-1430925951_thumb.jpg

I would focus the defoliation on the bottom portion of the plant and anywhere in the middle that is too crowded. I personally don't defoliate, but I do lollipop about 1/3 of the plant. I have a panama/dc that has fan leaves that about the size of a gorilla head, but I just tuck those. Good luck. Looks healthy!

Is that fan a little close? hard to tell in the picture.

I know that fan is deceiving in that picture. I have it pointing up and over the top. I have the plant sitting on a 5 gallon bucket for now. The strain I'm working with is Space Ripper. Space Crush (female) X Jack the Ripper. She seems to be taking it well. I'm only 6 days into flower though. I have no idea what the colas look like at this point.

Leave the sun leaves.

That's what they are there for, to catch all the sunlight for photosynthesis.

Remove the foliage from the bottom 1/3 of the plant.

Remove 1/3 of the foliage from the trunk out towards the branch tips.

That should about do it.

You may need a little LST to control her stretch.

Should stretch pretty good.

Good luck.

There was just an article on The Weed Blog about this very subject.

Here's the link;

http://www.theweedblog.com/distribution-of-sugars-within-marijuana-plants/

Enjoy

^^^^ this

what ever does nature do with all those little powerhouse leaves that plague us?

I observe she removes them when broken or not photosynthesizing any longer, and at the end of the season, when resources become scarce, she takes good care to get rid of those big ones first as they wilt and wither ........

I remove only damaged ones. Each individual bud does not care if its shaded by the other leaves or not. I'm guessing if less leaves made for a happier healthier plant then we would see this in nature by now?

It doesn't seem right to pluck the fan leaves while in flower. I wasn't to concerned about plucking the fan leaves off the top half of the plant while in veg. I knew they would grow back. It seemed to slow the top growth while the sides filled out. It definitely bushed out and stayed short from that. I'll post pictures every couple of weeks if anyone is interested. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

post-38991-0-74952700-1433335786_thumb.jpg

33 days in flower. It measures 3' wide by 2.5' tall. I did some LST but did not remove anymore fan leaves once I flipped it to flower

post-38991-0-94208300-1433336694_thumb.jpgpost-38991-0-45180400-1433336717_thumb.jpg

I'm seeing this on some of the leaves. I have flushed and cut back on the recommended amount of nutrients. Overall the plant seems to be growing well.

• 4 weeks later...

I had posted pictures and took them down. I got paranoid after I medicated ????. I was able to keep the plant short (3' high x 3' wide). The first 2 weeks of flower the stems were plyable enough to were I could hang yoyos off the ends to pull the stems down. Eventually I had to use them to support the colas. 9 weeks in flower the trechomes clear to cloudy. More so cloudy with a few ambor.post-38991-0-33291800-1435918844_thumb.jpgpost-38991-0-16322100-1435918872_thumb.jpg