Stopping In To Say Hello...

We already know that some people CAN'T smoke MJ because of lung complications.  If it were as innocuous as pure air then compromised people could smoke it.

smoke causes irritation. smoke is hot, contains tar and other bunny muffin. no doubt. smoke makes you cough. we agree.

this study says studies are incosistent but link use of MJ WITH smoking cigarettes leading to a synergistic effects of producing COPD.  So it seems, frfom this paper, it's linked if you smoke cigarettes.  Maybe smoking pot and having a hi amount of pollution increses risk, or weight and mj smoke increases risk?  I don't fully know the relation but even the gov't says it doesn't seem to be linked alone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2665954/

In this issue of CMAJ, Tan and colleagues report the findings of a cross-sectional population-based study of the possible association between smoking marijuana and risk of COPD.9 Whereas previous studies have consistently reported an association between use of marijuana and chronic respiratory symptoms even in the absence of concomitant use of tobacco,2,3,6,8

Tan and colleagues did not report a similar finding for marijuana only. However, they found that the concurrent use of marijuana and tobacco appeared to synergistically increase respiratory symptoms and risk of COPD.

i mean, you read that, what does it say, plainly?

marijuana has no link to copd.

How can you say there is no link when smoking cigarettes and smoking mj causes a higher rate than just smoking cigarettes?  I agree that MJ DOES NOT CAUSE COPD alone, I can not say the same for a LINK considering combination of the 2 causes a higher rate.  Does that explain it better?  It's a complex realtionship and smoking MJ means smoking (heat, particulates, etc. and smoking bongs lowers the temps but also takes out THC which may lead to more smoking. You can not seperate smoking from smoking MJ.  And oil seems to have a realtionship of curing it(I think if you don't smoke it). and it probably correlates with a lower rate of COPD in people who smoke oil and cigarettes as opposed to smoking joints and cigarettes.  The relationship can't be explained by just saying it's not linked.  I think we are just having a problem with the definitions of words.  MJ doesn't cause COPD is too short a statement to explain the relationship.  And MJ has meant hi THC all these years and lo CBD.  Just like THC can excacerbate schizophrenia and CBD can control it, maybe smoking hi CBD meds actually reverses COPD while hi THC actually does nothing to excacerbate it.  It's too complex, but I agree mj alone doesn't cause it.

Like I said i'm not going back to the site to dig them up.

Edited by Norby

They were links to what smoking does to your lungs, wasn't about COPD, after looking back.  He just posted papers in response to my answer that it doesn't cause copd.  Either way, that's my view.

Edit, after reading thru them the ones that said it caused copd, emphysema, asthme, etc. were buried in the "effects of mj smoking" papers.  no papers spec on mj causing COPD. 

Edited by Norby

they found that the concurrent use of marijuana and tobacco appeared to synergistically increase respiratory symptoms and risk of COPD.

i mean, you read that, what does it say, plainly?

marijuana has no link to copd.

Not sure what you read there tpain, but the last line in your article states a clear link between smoking cannabis and COPD.

Plainly, it say they did find that using marijuana with tobacco increases the risks of COPD, more than using tobacco by itself.

poor summary.

Smoking tobacco raises risks of COPD

Smoking Cannabis with tobacco increases those risks

Burning the dry leaves of any plant and inhaling the smoke causes risk of obstructive pulmonary dis-eases.

I just rolled a sticky Querkle to smoke and I did cough, but I liked it momma!

Well that might be possible and easily do able but they might be pissed in this forum if I did that. If you would like me to come "help" you and throw me some gas money since I'd be coming from 2 hours away that might be possible. I have mine set up just as you described but using motion activated cameras. Everytime the oscilating fan turns it sends a pic to an email, I just set it to only snap a pic every so often to avoid a bunch of emails. But I can get a clear hd camera shot of everything including hygrometer that's digital as long as everything is placed right. I just don't want ppl in here to think I was advertising or anything like that because sometimes I do learn stuff from these forums. I'm not one of those ppl who thinks they know it all. Nice to meet ya though.

Gas money is a deal, and I need to pay you for the proper sensors, too.  I don't wire for myself and I need to hire sensor expert installation as well. My flower room is all empty and I assume empty rooms are easier to sensor.  The flowerings are all out in the sun, but it will be 3 weeks until vegges are out under the sun and the room empty.  In the flowering room, I want to monitor constant temp, rh, co2.  Also pics to see if bulbs, fans, turbines are on or off.  In veg, the same factors.  The drying room will be empty in a week, and will still be empty in 3 weeks.  In dry room I want monitoring of temp and rh.  If complex wiring or more power is involved, Nick Sevier, the navy-trained electrician whom i use, is avail in 3 weeks.

that might be difficult to discern since everyone in MI with a legal medical cannabis rec is actually sick.

Who would decide what illnesses should require tested meds, and what if the patient doesn't want to pay extra for that test?

with an immunosuppressant  illness  , maybe patients are in a better position to decide which cannabis they want to test, if at all.

I would gladly pay a lab for results if my patient insisted. Of course they would have to wait for the results, and would be required to reimburse me

for testing expenses.

An immune suppressant patient might be smarter than to buy their schwag from an unlawful seller ?

these are good discussion points imo. Some believe that some dispensaries are using the moldy weed show to further their agenda of removing our home grows. You can understand when they get upset at the thought of mandatory testing. Some of us pay for lab results other than mold presence. 

peace

Sounds about right to me i do see that  if someone  is just starting out as a grower it could and can get molded on them fast it's even happen to me Yes me and i am a courgette-Grower -ing 

also, i want to know if the whole house fan is on or off, and constant temp and rh in the attic.

I wrote you a detailed response and it's gone. I hope there aren't admins in here that police every letter typed & delete posts. Anyways I explained the original set up I spoke about using motion activated cameras would be best for you. Even pointing one at the fan you want to know when it powers on would be very simple. I would just buy one of these (pictured below) for each of the rooms which I imagine have oscillating fans of some kind. Any movement even the second hand on a clock will either make these cameras take a a HD color or Infared picture or they will record video for as long as you set them to or until your dvdr is full and even then they just start recording over old video. I'm sure you could invest in one of those high end controllers but I wouldn't. That's way over the top and lazy as hell. If you can't make it to your grow house a few times a week then you shouldn't be growing because your gonna cause an accident. You seem to only want information so this set up would be perfect and cheap. I have one of those hygrometers and can see everything anytime I want using email. Plus the other 3 cameras allow me to see what's going on outside to. If you have multiple spaces you need reads in there is a deal on eBay right now for 7 for like $75.00!

post-39107-0-11796800-1431899004_thumb.jpg

Sounds about right to me i do see that  if someone  is just starting out as a grower it could and can get molded on them fast it's even happen to me Yes me and i am a courgette-Grower -ing

people starting out should start by acquiring proper room controls, which can guarantee no mold on drying or growing plants, ever.

I followed a few simple rules, temperature, humidity, and air scrubbing I found in Jorge Cervantes Grow Bible, used them exactly as I read, and I never had mold. It was the firs time I ever grew or dried cannabis indoors. It aint hit or miss, proper planning prevents poor performance(PPPPP)

people starting out should start by acquiring proper room controls, which can guarantee no mold on drying or growing plants, ever.

I followed a few simple rules, temperature, humidity, and air scrubbing I found in Jorge Cervantes Grow Bible, used them exactly as I read, and I never had mold. It was the firs time I ever grew or dried cannabis indoors. It aint hit or miss, proper planning prevents poor performance(PPPPP)

I completely agree. I've never had a mold issue drying monster single stalk cat tails, to small dense popcorn half tails. That is exactly why with my new room I've waited until it's completely done with massive details paid to each part. Right down to air cooling my external water and air pump on my RDWC. Just by working this out I've eliminated any need for a chiller and the warmest the water ever gets is what the air temp is being used by the air pump. Between that & using a 70 quart Coleman cooler that I built another 4 inch thick of insulation board air tight with weather stripping on the lid.  Insulated hoses and containers keeps a couple two liters of water frozen for almost 5 days with a temp top out of 68'. Perfect all because of massive planning. Many people think I took to much time to save and spend money the smart way maximizing every penny to the point of re-directing the heat from my air cooled lights into the rest of the house in the colder months which everyone in here knows is 8 months of the year. Few extra $ here and there to make everything easy and fast to take down and move when needed right down to the mylar! Many people buy lights at the hydro store and after making the large investment they skimp on things as they go along and it isn't until their third or fourth harvest they get any weight or quality. I'd rather plan and get two 1 pound per plant harvest. Getting rid of that power robbing piece of bunny muffin chiller is what I'm most proud of. A quality one costs a bunny muffin load, you have to set up so much extra stuff or you can just run your nutrients through the chiller like a fool. That's the first thing I look for to see if someone knows what they are doing.  So I agree greatly, wait until you have everything to avoid point less pop corny stretchy harvest that I would use to make hash. #90 screen golden full melt only. MMMMMM

At first I was all over those 1 pound per plant habits, until I actually had to manage them. The work was too much for me, their demands too high, and the weight over my limits. Morphed into a perpetually harvested constant with dozens of different strains. with little more than a topping/lollypop I get no less than 2 ounces per plant in a one gallon bag vegged thirty days, flowered 60 ish., same bag.  Now with my octopots I'm worried with solid four ounce plants(finished buds only) being the norm. I haven't plopped down the rest of the octo expense, to fill my flower room with them, just yet. I may rethink some things, reduce choices, etc. serious, I'd rather have more choices than more of limited strains. I have no outlet for any more than we use.

I only veg for a month or so after rooting. I don't keep moms, but clone from a clone until I notice issue, then refresh with pure cleaned tissue culture stock. Its a personal hobby of mine, not an endorsement of course. expensive and technically challenging some say. I make thousands of flower cultures for some local nurseries so its already in my blood right here at home, cannabis was a natural progression.    I think I'll veg for less time before flowering in the Octo's, with smaller plants too, and the same amount of strains to start. Then put the extra octos in the rafters with the other unused stuff right.. lol

I've never seen performance in my organic bug niche like these units. I don't even give them a thought anymore, and can walk away for days at a time. Dozens have been cycled using the same dirt even with no issues and the best results. Huge return for little effort is a win. highly recommended.

At first I was all over those 1 pound per plant habits, until I actually had to manage them. The work was too much for me, their demands too high, and the weight over my limits. Morphed into a perpetually harvested constant with dozens of different strains. with little more than a topping/lollypop I get no less than 2 ounces per plant in a one gallon bag vegged thirty days, flowered 60 ish., same bag.  Now with my octopots I'm worried with solid four ounce plants(finished buds only) being the norm. I haven't plopped down the rest of the octo expense, to fill my flower room with them, just yet. I may rethink some things, reduce choices, etc. serious, I'd rather have more choices than more of limited strains. I have no outlet for any more than we use.

I only veg for a month or so after rooting. I don't keep moms, but clone from a clone until I notice issue, then refresh with pure cleaned tissue culture stock. Its a personal hobby of mine, not an endorsement of course. expensive and technically challenging some say. I make thousands of flower cultures for some local nurseries so its already in my blood right here at home, cannabis was a natural progression.    I think I'll veg for less time before flowering in the Octo's, with smaller plants too, and the same amount of strains to start. Then put the extra octos in the rafters with the other unused stuff right.. lol

I've never seen performance in my organic bug niche like these units. I don't even give them a thought anymore, and can walk away for days at a time. Dozens have been cycled using the same dirt even with no issues and the best results. Huge return for little effort is a win. highly recommended.

I like your style, I can tell your not full of bunny muffin like many I bump into. Just for clarity homey, I'm only growing four plants total! LOL I guess when I made that elbow per plant minimum it came across as I'm all about weight when that's farthest from the truth. I actually do things a little different. I've been taking one single seed, yes only one feminized usually almost always bead by Barney's. I will even pay extra to get it in the unopened breeder pack. But Bonza has done me well over the years and is the only place I trust. Yes I'm sure all of you down by Jackson find that funny as seeds are everywhere. Not up here & I don't have days to shop for them half a state away. So, anyways I take that one seed and treat it like my own child, vegging the holy hell out of it. Finning and LST to the point that it looks like an upside down green octopus with a dozen top shoots at less than 30 inches tall. I have developed quite the method using a very small amount of natural hormones, finning, LST, & even some HST. I like to start those 2nd layer shoots with some "squeeze breaks" at the nodes so they get really strong marble like rocks that move chlorophyll like a free flowing high way. Sometimes at this point I'll move my two 8 bulb 40,000 lumen T5HO from the sides, clip 4 major clones and move this momma into a small corner spot with just a little 250 mh bulb over her keeping the light on 14 hours until clone time comes again I slow her down as much as possible keeping her next to the fresh air intakes during the cold months really helps. I then try to learn the best methods of each type I grow with until I notice it's getting boring & I've learned what I can. I'll start over after vegging the monster momma in a sea of green and end that strain on a good frosty note. When I know I'm gonna kill off a mother, about 4-5 weeks before the end I go through and completely clip off and prune away half the tops (the smaller ones) and that gives it enough time to recover but when I do that those final buds are so covered in trich's it's insane. I sometimes think it might be worth the 25 days extra veg when I see how amazing they look. Check out what happened to a huge branch I tried to put outside super early in the pic below. It started to revert back to veg but got to cold one night and couldn't keep it up.  post-39107-0-71539100-1431926078_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big Jae

you grow outdoors, right on!   It can be challenging for us in MI, and my hats off too all who brave the outdoors. In 2009 I acquired EVERY Barny's Farm offering(along with oodles of other well known breeders too) and agree that their gear is among the best out there. The LSD is one of a kind and that Cherry Berry , Sweet Tooth, and the one that sticks with me is the Red Dragon.   If you have a chance sample some TGA Subcool gear, you'll find a similar soul of flavor chasers with these.

rock on!

Thanks i agree one time i had buds on my plants that where  so hard i could have used them as a hammer to drive nails into 2x4  Lol

this one time, I bought a 1/4 ounce, untested of course. Had my chick tested first and we weren't in another city already,  I would have bought a whole ounce. Testing would have helped right there ! :P:dodgyrun:

Musta been at band camp. Same thing happened to me. My chick tested positive for crabs.

Edited by GregS

• 1 month later...

Wow what a coincidence, I bought a deal off Bonza last October called the "Dirty Dozen" where if you bought & spent so many $ worth they hooked you up with twelve free feminized seeds. One of which was a TGA subcool feminized pill. I'm not sure what strain exactly, the little bag w/ sticker just says TGA Subcool with numbers. If I remember the strain I think is called Cinderella 99 but it might not be. All I know is that I had one single feminzed big fat juicy CHEMDAWG X Headband male then that X Big Bud female and one single big fat turtle in a half shell White Rhino x Big Bud AND LOST BOTHJ OF THEM LIKE A SHMUCK!!

So I'm moving on to my next mother being the Cinderella 99 / TGA Subcool. But in my work area that looks like a combination of a back room at a Best Buy Geek Squad work area trashed with the floors covered in screws + a very messy small engine repair shop / woodworking shop and this is where my stupid donkey decided to get these seeds ready. After digging them out of there hiding spot, one I opened the package and dropped to be never seen again and the Chemdawg I sat out while grabbing other stuff, got sidetracked for a minute and literally wiped it off the glass counter as I was wiping everything clean with rubbing alcohol TO PLANT THIS PRECIOUS SEED! So disappointed in myself. Am going to start a spring cleaning tomorrow and hopefully after some very carefull sweeping and sorting one will turn up. The Chemdawg Headband seed was super fat like it wanted to explode so telling dif will be easy. I just hope it didn't find it's way into some moisture & get ruined or crushed.

Yeah I put out a dozen pineapple chunk clones in late April that I started at the end of winter on the gas lantern light schedule. Yesterday night I went and topped all of them for a third time. I just hope some idiot who threw all the seeds from some mid grade into the grounds male doesn't pollinate these ladies. It's happened before with no herm's found so I'm assuming someone had a male growing around here somewhere. There were only about 5 seeds per 1/2 oz so it wasn't that big of a deal. Lotta people said the seeds grew almost all female plants to. I have one pineapple chunk in a bucket that I'm going to bring indoors to make some feminized seeds trying out some of that Tiresias Mist knockoff called Lady Pollen I got from someone. Dude swore it worked just like the original and I need to start taking a branch from each run and getting a monster bud of feminized beans fresh for the future.

you grow outdoors, right on!   It can be challenging for us in MI, and my hats off too all who brave the outdoors. In 2009 I acquired EVERY Barny's Farm offering(along with oodles of other well known breeders too) and agree that their gear is among the best out there. The LSD is one of a kind and that Cherry Berry , Sweet Tooth, and the one that sticks with me is the Red Dragon.   If you have a chance sample some TGA Subcool gear, you'll find a similar soul of flavor chasers with these.

rock on!

Edited by Big Jae