Michigan Cannabis Coalition Legalization Initiative

I can count on both hands and my toes, the number of young folks in Michigan who thought that $15 per gram means $420 per ounce. It just doesn't work that way.

Just today I read an on line article that summarized MJ prices throughout the US. Colorado and Oregon were about $230/oz. but if you're a tourist and want a little smoke, yeah, you'll have to pay $15-20 per gram. But if you want to buy an O, the price per gram drops significantly.

I can count on both hands and my toes, the number of young folks in Michigan who thought that $15 per gram means $420 per ounce. It just doesn't work that way.

Just today I read an on line article that summarized MJ prices throughout the US. Colorado and Oregon were about $230/oz. but if you're a tourist and want a little smoke, yeah, you'll have to pay $15-20 per gram. But if you want to buy an O, the price per gram drops significantly.

If I am not mistaken, non-residents have daily limits. Last I saw it was a maximum of 1/4 oz per day. So a non-resident is stuck paying a higher price, unless that condition has been changed or was misinformed.

Tourists will potentially pay top dollar anyway. Like up north, you go to the main attractions and everything is more expensive, unless you know which places to avoid.

prices of gasoline go up just because its a holiday. town to town, pop, beer, and everything else varies sometimes greatly by area, access, and logistics. As a tourist I expect to pay more than the indigenous. I could live with 1/4 a day, maybe the price too, real near what I often paid at work, from "that guy with the good weed"

In brekenridge canabis club the owner of the club tells the councilman it is $700 an oz.

They didn't sell ounces. $31 a gram OTD

just reporting the facts!

Should MJ be more expensive around traverse city? Mackinaw, saugatuck?

Should we charge more for out of state?

I

Edited by beourbud

In brekenridge canabis club the owner of the club tells the councilman it is $700 an oz.

They didn't sell ounces. $31 a gram OTD

just reporting the facts!

Should MJ be more expensive around traverse city? Mackinaw, saugatuck?

Should we charge more for out of state?

I

Seems like you are raging against basic capitalism.  

This in no different than the movie theater that sells you a $2 7/11 Big Gulp for $5 plus.  Or Comerica Park selling you a $2 beer for $7. 

Seems like you are raging against basic capitalism.  

This in no different than the movie theater that sells you a $2 7/11 Big Gulp for $5 plus.  Or Comerica Park selling you a $2 beer for $7. 

Raging?

Dunno?  Do you mean capitalism in a Free Market?

Went to the circus with the grandkids. Parking  $20 We were searched for FOOD, No water /containers,  tic tacs.  1 drinking fountain.  $10 16oz lemonade, $15 cotton candy

CASH ONLY!

Is that the capitalism you speak of?   Felt like Capitalism on Steroids Gone Crazy to me, but i am just an average joe...a pion if you will.

Cannabis ,can and will create new revenue streams.

Maybe the current Circus Model of Capitalism  is not the way to go.   There IS a Better Way!

Decriminalize possession completely and tax all sales and transfers.  This creates a fertile Free Market  for Capitalism to flourish, Small Businesses to Grow, Expand Agricultural Markets,  Encourage Research and inject cash where it is needed most  Your Economy.

On the show B C C  the owners have to pay $20000 for the licence ,  he apparently buy 4 councilpersons, has the only location downtown and %80 of the market.  The Locals are left out at the edge of nowhere.

Next thing you know.....speculation of course,  ole philip and maybe morris buy the guy and brand go worldwide, force criminal penalties on home grows and fix the price at.....umm  $700 an ounce. 

Cannabis "IF" Decriminalized as described would keep the infux of cash into the economy where it is needed most.  The Peoples Pocket , in stead of a Circus  where only  a chosen few reap a fortune because they can buy there way.

Free the Weed

Edited by beourbud

Beourbud,

Breckenridge is a unique situation with regards to cannabis.   I have probably spent the equivalent of two winter seasons living there over the last 20 years.  

First there are few if any real locals.   Yes there are vacation homes, but the "locals" live down the road in Silverthorne and commute to Breck.   There is no lack of grey market product.  The town decriminalized weed about the same time Ann Arbor did. The only people buying from any storefront in that town are tourists.  

A curious aside, Breckenridge is "South Park".

Next thing you know.....speculation of course,  ole philip and maybe morris buy the guy and brand go worldwide, force criminal penalties on home grows and fix the price at.....umm  $700 an ounce.

yeah boy i remember when phillip morris banned homegrowing and farm growing of tobbacco.

and then budweiser banned home brewing of beer! the humanity! then beer prices shot up to $20 per beer!

oh wait... your real world examples are full of baloney.

You see there shouldn't  be a  "Grey Market t".   Thats the last thing you here the cop say after you explained the law to him and he is stuffin you in the back seat. "Its a Grey Area, we will let the Judge sort it out"      

Grey Market = Jail  unless you can buy your way out

Cannabis Is a Game Changer for our economy and can be the stimulus we the People of Michigan Need to propell us into a prosperous future.

All we need to do is Free the Weed

yeah boy i remember when phillip morris banned homegrowing and farm growing of tobbacco.

and then budweiser banned home brewing of beer! the humanity! then beer prices shot up to $20 per beer!

What about Home Brew Beer?,  anyone can and lots of folk do make their own beer.   Where are all the restrictions? inspections? testing?

Its about the Money  Allow home grows, tax the sales and transfer 

Let the best quality and Lowest price product win....

Edited by beourbud

I remember those tobacoo companies testifying in front of congress denying any link between their products and cancer

I am living the travesty an alcohol death has on a  100,000 family s  EVERY YEAR 

that is the real world

Corporations Lie for Profit

Corporations are fighting to Shut down Home Grows......For Profit

Corporation will sell their soul....for profit

Free the Weed

Edited by beourbud

As long as home growing remains legal in copious amounts,... it doesn't matter what retail/commercial charges.

They can cut their own throats.

I believe I had seen a stat that 70% of marijuana sold recreationally in Colorado the first year were out of state sales.

Almost noone I know in Colorado buys retail.  Its just available.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/07/09/colorado-marijuana-consumption-estimate-130-metric-tons-study-medical-marijuana-recreational/16000/

A state-produced study has concluded that high taxes and fewer stores are keeping Colorado medical-marijuana consumers from switching to the recreational cannabis market, a trend that, if it continues, will have a major impact on the state’s predicted marijuana tax windfall.

The study, released Wednesday, found that out-of-state visitors make up nearly half of recreational marijuana sales in the Denver area — and 90 percent of recreational sales in mountain resort communities. Tourists, though, account for only about 7 percent of the annual demand for marijuana in the state, which the study estimates at 130.3 metric tons.

“This study finds total marijuana demand to be much larger than previously estimated,” the study’s authors write in their report.

The reason, the authors conclude, is that previous studies have underestimated the level of demand from heavy users. The new study finds that the top 22 percent of marijuana users in Colorado account for nearly 67 percent of the total demand. The bottom 54 percent of users account for only about 4 percent of demand.

“(T)he prevalence of heavy users in Colorado is higher than the national average,” the authors write.

Overall, the study estimates that 487,000 people over 21 years old in Colorado, or about 9 percent of the state’s population, use marijuana at least once per month.

“The department feels it is important to understand marijuana usage and the demand in the state to effectively manage production within the regulated industry,” Colorado Department of Revenue executive Director Barbara Brohl said in a statement.

The Marijuana Enforcement Division said it used survey results, demographic data, research literature and “Colorado-specific primary source data” to compile the study.

Among the most significant conclusions listed in the report: Few people are switching from shopping at medical-marijuana dispensaries to shopping at recreational marijuana stores. The study concludes that could be because higher taxes for recreational marijuana and fewer available outlets discourage switching.

“(T)he retail demand is derived primarily from out-of-state visitors and from consumers who previously purchased from the Colorado black and gray markets,” the study’s authors write.

The trend, though, has major implications for the state’s marijuana tax revenue.

Predictions for revenue from recreational marijuana taxes once reached as high as $35 million for the first six months of 2014. Instead, including numbers released Wednesday for May tax collections, the state has brought in only about $14.7 million so far.

Medical-marijuana sales, meanwhile, continue to outpace recreational sales. Through May, medical-marijuana dispensaries had done nearly $165 million of sales — compared with the $90 million from recreational stores. Tax revenue from medical-marijuana sales, though, has amounted to slightly less than $5 million.

“Creating a system where people who are using cannabis medically can access their medicine without paying higher taxes is not a bad thing,” said Taylor West, a spokeswoman for the National Cannabis Industry Association.

this isnt a recreational vs medical fight.

this is an anti-medical marijuana fight. they are fighting to say marijuana is not medicine.

they hate that marijuana is being used as a medicine. they are insane.

I see where you are coming from. in my eyes it all boils down to profit and revenue vs. our freedoms. I don't trust any of it.

Again, I just want to grow at home and be left alone. I don't care about profits, taxes, or laws. I just want to be left alone.

Isn't it sick and un-American for business and government to be concerned with what I am doing in the privacy of my own home for myself?  That is all I want is to be left alone in my home.

If they can do better than me and make a bunch of profit, good for them, but don't infringe on my privacy. That is just evil. They want to make a buck off of my privacy or put me in jail. I can't help but to feel this way after all of the research I have done. I have no trust in any of these bills, too much evil greed hidden in them. Business is all about leverage and screwing the little guy.

Edit: at least it is like that these days.

Edited by GrowGoddess

I see where you are coming from. in my eyes it all boils down to profit and revenue vs. our freedoms. I don't trust any of it.

Again, I just want to grow at home and be left alone. I don't care about profits, taxes, or laws. I just want to be left alone.

Isn't it sick and un-American for business and government to be concerned with what I am doing in the privacy of my own home for myself?  That is all I want is to be left alone in my home.

If they can do better than me and make a bunch of profit, good for them, but don't infringe on my privacy. That is just evil. They want to make a buck off of my privacy or put me in jail. I can't help but to feel this way after all of the research I have done. I have no trust in any of these bills, too much evil greed hidden in them. Business is all about leverage and screwing the little guy.

Edit: at least it is like that these days.

Welcome to the choir my sister. :-)

Their limits on home grows are bad, but they are on the recreational side... Their initiative does not touch or mention the act like the other two blood sucking slime buckets... To be clear, that is MIlegalize and MRC (who's language has yet to be revealed but that they have made clear will eliminate the MMMA....)

Their initiative does not touch or mention the act

what the hell are you talking about?

section2

(j) "medical marihuana act" means michigan initiated law 1 of 2008, being sections 333.26421 to 333.26430 of the michigan compiled laws.

section3:

©except as authorized by this act and the michigan medical marihuana act, it shall be unlawful to possess , sell, distribute or purchase marihuana or marihuana-infused products.

relationship of this act to the medical marihuana act

sec8 Nothing in this act shall be deemed to amend, alter or supersede the use, possession, aquisition, cultivation, manufacture, delivery, internal possession or transfer of marihuana for medical use that is undertaken in accord with the medical marihuana act

not to mention their website

http://www.micannabis.vote/the-cause.html

WHAT THIS INITIATIVE ACCOMPLISHES:

LEGALIZE MARIHUANA USE AND POSSESSION FOR PEOPLE 21 AND OLDER

REGULATE AND TAX THE GROWTH, SALE AND USE OF MARIHUANA IN MICHIGAN

ALLOCATE TAX REVENUE FROM THE REGULATION AND TAXATION OF MARIHUANA TO PUBLIC SAFETY, PUBLIC HEALTH AND EDUCATION

CREATE AN INDEPENDENT BOARD THAT IS A) COMPENSATED BASED ON ATTENDANCE AND B) STAFFED BY EXPERTS IN THE FIELD OF AGRICULTURE AND THE PUBLIC AT LARGE

PERMIT FOR LIMITED HOME GROWTH OF MARIHUANA FOR PERSONAL CONSUMPTION, SUBJECT TO LOCAL ORDINANCE

HOLD THE MEDICAL MARIHUANA ACT HARMLESS

whatever that means.