Msp Crack Down On Dispensaries In Otsego County

t-pain

I"m shocked

So lets see if i got this right,   the governor , attorney general and MSP (Marijuana Safety Patrol)  are coming down hard on disp.  At the same time this same republican lead terrorist group wants the authority to  Write the law, enforce, interpret, and prosecute these same disp.

Sorta like, we are either going to Own you or Bone You!

Edited by beourbud

Wonder what there thoughts on Complete Decriminalization are Now?

All these recent bills and drafts are just rearranging the deck chairs on the USS Medical Marijuana. All of them aim to eliminate MMJ and Home Grows

Long Live the Home Grow....Free the Weed

Edited by beourbud

"They've kept their doors open to answer questions from concerned patients.

"Law enforcement agencies follow that and they make sure that the businesses are following the law and if they are not following the law then they'll do investigations to verify that," says Michael Rola, Otsego County prosecutor. "Then they do things like, for example, issue search warrants to seize property and collect other additional evidence."

Otsego County Prosecuting Attorney Michael Rola says the laws surrounding dispensaries are tight.

He says the dispensaries in his county were breaking the law.

"As long as dispensaries follow those rules, then they received protection under the michigan medical marijuana act, section-4 and section-8 immunity," Rola says. "If they don't, however, then they are subject to criminal charges and the results, thereof, just like anyone else would be."

I'm so fuggin confused ! Some police say dispensaries are legal. Some here believe they are legal. some here hate them and believe they are illegal. The SC says they are illegal.  Like any of us can change any of that.

Police Say Medical Marijuana Guidelines Are Simple to Follow !

While prosecutors are going after medical marijuana dispensaries who they say are confused by the rules in the medical marijuana act.. State Police say it's simple.

"This has been around for a long time the rules are easy to read.. there's no confusion. This is not rocket science it's easy. If you have medical marijuana you can have 2.5 ounces. If you're in a vehicle it's in a container in your trunk," said Lt. Derrick Carroll.

Lt. Derrick Carroll says it's pretty transparent for dispensaries too. But a problem state police are seeing... caregivers not following the rules

"The caregivers are authorized to have up to 5 patients, they're authorized 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana for each patient, and up to 12 for each patient. The problems that I'm hearing is a lot of time some establishments sell to people with medical marijuana cards but they aren't necessarily their caregivers."

But regulating this, and keeping an eye on dispensaries has been difficult.

"There's no surveillance or watch just like any establishment people go in and out of places like 7-11 all day long. We don't keep track of that. Same with this business its a storefront, we don't monitor the traffic in and out."

But when violations come to light, some county prosecutors have cracked down, like yesterday in Otsego County. And anyone who may be arrested could face prison time.

"Two year felonies depending on how severe and how many people but it's against the law to distribute to anyone you're not a caregiver for."

This has been my interpretation of our law since the beginning. :rolleyes:

Most regular readers of the MMMA forum know the MSP (and especially the Republican leadership) position on MMJ.

Fair enough, we disagree. But do they really have to take such pleasure in seeing someone else's misfortune, let alone gloat over putting someone less fortunate in jail?

Can't everyone understand arresting patients and caregivers doesn't make our world better?

Most regular readers of the MMMA forum know the MSP (and especially the Republican leadership) position on MMJ.

Fair enough, we disagree. But do they really have to take such pleasure in seeing someone else's misfortune, let alone gloat over putting someone less fortunate in jail?

Can't everyone understand arresting patients and caregivers doesn't make our world better?

Republicans do not understand how legal marijuana can make the world a better place. They just don't. It is, like so many of their issues, an "emotional issue" for them. They don't come at it from a rational thinking point of view.

Also, they do indeed seem to derive pleasure from inflicting pain on others whom they deem to be "less worthy". It is part of the "Republican Culture".

I hope these people find a way not to be convicted just as i hope someone standing on a street corner selling crack can avoid being convicted.

As far as small and big "R" republicans go.

About 1/3 of republicans supported medical marijuana as of 3 years ago. Around 3/4 of democrats do.

The problem is in the ELECTED Republicans. Less than 10%(federally less than 5%) support marijuana.

So quite often I try to be more specific when complaining about republicans(bid "R" and small "r") and state "elected Republicans" are the problems so as to slightly less offend people who do vote republican and consider themselves dumarse conservatives(snark).

My problem is that you, as a republican, are voting in people who do not agree with you and do not represent your values(mostly).

To my republican friends I always say.... " I am not asking you to vote in democrats, I am seriously beggin you to vote in better republicans that better represent you."

:-)

Republicans do not understand how legal marijuana can make the world a better place.

Making the world a better place is not in their agenda. Only making the rich richer.

I think the MSP may have been told to clean up all the mom and pop dispensaries to make room for the upcoming "provisioning centers".

Edited by Wild Bill

Making the world a better place is not in their agenda. Only making the rich richer.

I think the MSP may have been told to clean up all the mom and pop dispensaries to make room for the upcoming "provisioning centers".

I believe we have a winner - dispensaries have been out in the open for how long ? Now that it looks like some outside rich interests have expressed interest in MI all of a sudden we have raids. Got to clean up so the pot mafia can move in and clean up - wonder how many politicians they had to buy?

Police Say Medical Marijuana Guidelines Are Simple to Follow !

While prosecutors are going after medical marijuana dispensaries who they say are confused by the rules in the medical marijuana act.. State Police say it's simple.

"This has been around for a long time the rules are easy to read.. there's no confusion. This is not rocket science it's easy. If you have medical marijuana you can have 2.5 ounces. If you're in a vehicle it's in a container in your trunk," said Lt. Derrick Carroll.

Lt. Derrick Carroll says it's pretty transparent for dispensaries too. But a problem state police are seeing... caregivers not following the rules

"The caregivers are authorized to have up to 5 patients, they're authorized 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana for each patient, and up to 12 for each patient. The problems that I'm hearing is a lot of time some establishments sell to people with medical marijuana cards but they aren't necessarily their caregivers."

But regulating this, and keeping an eye on dispensaries has been difficult.

"There's no surveillance or watch just like any establishment people go in and out of places like 7-11 all day long. We don't keep track of that. Same with this business its a storefront, we don't monitor the traffic in and out."

But when violations come to light, some county prosecutors have cracked down, like yesterday in Otsego County. And anyone who may be arrested could face prison time.

"Two year felonies depending on how severe and how many people but it's against the law to distribute to anyone you're not a caregiver for."

This has been my interpretation of our law since the beginning. :rolleyes:

I've always wondered how we as pt can only have 2.5 OZ and the dispensaries can have a lot more Why is that ?

GAYLORD — Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement (SANE) and others raided several medical marijuana dispensaries Wednesday, taking extensive amounts of plants and other items.

SANE, along with Michigan State Police Troopers and other police officers and drug enforcement agencies searched several medical marijuana dispensaries in Gaylord after receiving information they were operating illegally.

In total, eight dispensaries were searched in Otsego County. Eight homes inside and outside of the county, owned by the dispensary owners, were searched as well.

Detective Lt. Ken Mills, SANE unit commander, said his team had been working on obtaining search warrants for the past few weeks to allow the units to search these locations for evidence of violations.

“We had received information that the dispensaries, or at least some, were operating illegally,” he said. “They were not following medical marijuana laws and we were in position to initiate investigations.”

After taking an initial look at their findings, Mills said it is clear these dispensaries were in violation of Michigan medical marijuana laws.

Mills did not immediately have exact numbers, but he said at least 100 marijuana plants were recovered, as well as edibles, processed marijuana, documents, vehicles and weapons.

According to Mills, some of the common violations found dealt with providing medical marijuana to more than the legal five patients per caregiver, having more marijuana plants on-hand than what is legal and dispensaries obtaining medical marijuana through illegal transactions.

According to Mills, each caregiver is allowed to have five patients and 12 plants per patient, as well as 12 for themselves, totaling 72 plants per caregiver. In addition, caregivers may only possess 2.5 ounces of marijuana per patient and 2.5 ounces for themselves. Some dispensaries were found in violation of these laws, he said.

According to Sgt. Jeff Gorno from the Michigan State Police Gaylord Post, among the dispensaries searched was Compassionate Caregivers, 2301 S. Otsego Ave., and All Well Natural Health, 845 S. Otsego Ave., in addition to several others in the post's coverage area of Emmet, Charlevoix, Antrim, Cheboygan and Otsego counties.

When the troopers and other law enforcement came to the properties, they confiscated various items. Mills said, to his knowledge, none were forced to close, and the owners were told what they were doing wrong.

“It's up to the people operating,” Mills said. “We didn't advise anybody to close.”

As of Friday, no arrests had been made, though Mills said his team will complete an extensive amount of paperwork and submit it to Otsego Prosecutor Michael Rola, and arrests are expected to be made.

Mills said the multi-county operation began early Wednesday morning by searching the homes first, starting outside of Otsego County and making their way in.

“We knew once we started in Gaylord, people would see us and the media and everything would get involved,” he said. “People quickly found out.”

All of the evidence has since been numbered, packaged and sent to different labs. Mills said all that remains is mostly paperwork.

Several issues related to medical marijuana over the past several months led to these searches, including the discovery that people were obtaining marijuana from other people who had been prescribed it at the dispensaries.

Mills said more information, including amounts of marijuana plants, processed marijuana, items confiscated and possible legal actions will be available in the near future.

Assisting SANE in this effort were Traverse Narcotics Team, Upper Peninsula Substance Enforcement Team, Huron Undercover Narcotics Team, troopers from several Michigan State Police posts and deputies from several county sheriff's departments.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/news/crime/otsego-county-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-busted/article_5f8c542c-cde7-50ce-a740-ddd8aadb0e9f.html