Marijuana Legalization Initiatives Up For Consideration By Michigan Election Board

Michigan would legalize the use of marijuana for recreational use under two proposed voter initiatives up for consideration by the state's election board.

The Board of State Canvassers will consider the form of the petitions on Thursday. If advocacy groups get the go-ahead, they can begin collecting roughly 253,000 voter signatures needed to put the bills before the Legislature.

The measures would receive statewide votes in 2016 if lawmakers do not act.

One initiative is being led by traditional marijuana activists. The other has backing from a Republican political operative working on the behalf of anonymous business interests.

Michigan already allows marijuana use for medical purposes.

Recreational marijuana is legal in Washington state, Colorado and Washington, D.C. It will become legal in Oregon this summer.

Michigan already allows marijuana use for medical purposes, but it would legalize the use of marijuana for recreational use under two proposed voter initiatives up for consideration by the state's election board. Which do you support?
  • I support making it legal for medical AND recreational purposes.
  • I support making it legal only for medical purposes.
  • I support making it legal only for recreational purposes. 
  • I don't support making it legal in Michigan under any circumstances.

View Results     

Michigan would legalize the use of marijuana for recreational use under two proposed voter initiatives up for consideration by the state's election board.

The Board of State Canvassers will consider the form of the petitions on Thursday. If advocacy groups get the go-ahead, they can begin collecting roughly 253,000 voter signatures needed to put the bills before the Legislature.

Edited by bobandtorey

One initiative is being led by traditional marijuana activists. The other has backing from a Republican political operative working on the behalf of anonymous business interests.

Michigan already allows marijuana use for medical purposes.

Recreational marijuana is legal in Washington state, Colorado and Washington, D.C. It will become legal in Oregon this summer.

Michigan already allows marijuana use for medical purposes, but it would legalize the use of marijuana for recreational use under two proposed voter initiatives up for consideration by the state's election board. Which do you support?
  • I support making it legal for medical AND recreational purposes.
  • I support making it legal only for medical purposes.
  • I support making it legal only for recreational purposes. 
  • I don't support making it legal in Michigan under any circumstances.

View Results     

Vote Today

Legal is a Lie!  The only way to Keep folk from going to Jail for the Plant is to Decriminalize.

Both of these proposals Suck    Dont sign the petition.  But keep talking about MJ for Hours with them.  Educate them on the pain and agony inflicted on citizens thru the courts.  

Edited by beourbud

78% support legal recreational use and medical use, but how does this poll relate to the initiatives being considered?

Wouldn't it be more relevant to have a poll asking whether you support a free, open market distribution system versus a closed monopoly run by political operatives of the Republican Party who stand to make millions ( :money: :money: :money: ) of dollars off a substance that they have continually referred to as "dangerous"?

"The plants must be grown in a manner so as to reasonably prevent unauthorized access to or harvesting of the plants, "?

"Sec. 12. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a violation of this act or rules implementing this act or performance of an action involving marihuana not authorized by this act, except for operating any motor vehicle, aircraft, or motorboat under the influence of marihuana, shall be exclusively punishable as follows: A violation may only be issued as a civil infraction, with any fine not to exceed $100.00, except that distributing marihuana or marihuana products to a person who is between the age of 18 and 21, who does not have the recommendation of a physician to use medical marihuana may incur a civil fine of $500.00, and any person over the age of 18 years distributing marihuana or marihuana products to a person who is under the age of 18 years and who does not have the recommendation of a physician to use medical marihuana shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 and imprisonment for not more than 60 days for a first offense, a fine of not more than $2,500.00 and imprisonment for not more than 90 days for a second or subsequent offense, and community service. An individual under the age of 18 who violates any Section of this act may be issued a civil infraction with a civil fine of up to $500.00. If a violation of this act occurs on school property as defined in this act, a person may be punished by a fine by not more than three times the amount otherwise authorized by this act, or for a criminal violation of this act, by a term of imprisonment for not more than 120 days for a first offense, a fine of not more than $5,000.00 and imprisonment for not more than 180 days for a second or subsequent offense, and community service."

So tell me, legal still has a set of rules, the kind that put you in jail for 6 months.... wheres the "LEGAL"  in that ?  I'm not so sure that is what i envisioned as legal... I guess we just take what we can get huh?

Sometimes i tell a story about CO. where it is Legal someone goes their and buys cannabis you can't use it out in the open or driving  or in a Hotel room if you don't live there where are you going to use it ? 

You must go and hide to use your cannabis i say i was hiding before it was Legal

Edited by bobandtorey

Sometimes i tell a story about CO. where it is Legal someone goes their and buys cannabis you can't use it out in the open or driving  or in a Hotel room if you don't live there where are you going to use it ? 

You must go and hide to use your cannabis i say i was hiding before it was Legal

didnt you see the news?

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/05/31/dude-wheres-my-room-key-colorado-opens-its-first-cannabis-friendly-hotel/28260457/

I'll have nothing to do with the mcc stuff. Milegalize is the better of the two for sure.

We can sit around all day and talk about what should or could be, but that's not how it is GOING to be. Lots of stuff is "legal" but has restrictions. Driving, alcohol, crossing a street, throwing stuff away. I personally think I should be able to set up a "lemonade" stand to sell homebrew, herbs, and veggies....but it ain't happening. Let's get over it and put energy behind one, both, or none. Easy peasy.

No to two plants and business interests, and no to 10 mega grows is my philosophy...I don't see another way.