Sanilac Countys Outrageous Tactics

Unless people take a plea guilty. Small town people do not know their rights.

During the meeting yesterday they gave a slide show on how to spot meth labs and what to do. In the middle of the powerpoint they had slides showing concentrate labs and compared them to meth. They then showed slides of different types of medibles and stated that these products were being targeted to children in our community.

They also cut the Two Prescription Pill Take Back Days this year.

Drug task force member Steve Mckenny said that " the only reason their wasting money is because they get a tip from someone. Then when they take action on the tip by carrying out surveilance, and finding evidence to incriminate people. They go to their house and ask about them growing and their shown a medical patient following state law. And theirs nothing left they can do. He then stated LARA provides them with no information on a patient or caregiver because of HIPPA laws."

They are going to these people houses because of the "anonomous tip" they recieved.

A person could create a real logistics problem for them if they were to call in say, 25 anonymous tips daily. Just pick random addresses and be sure to say, "There's kids coming and going all day!"

And if they have suspicion that somebodys involved in marijuana activites. Wouldnt it save alot more money, time, and the headache that goes along with it. If they would first call mi lara and confirm that that person at the address is a valid medical patient. Upon confirmation, they should stop all investigations into this person unless they have evidence this person is breaking state law.

police cannot verify patients over the phone with lara with just an address/name.

police can only verify a patient number (which is printed on the card) using LEIN system.

at least as far as i've been able to tell.

this prevents them from 'fishing' for names using the system, instead only being able to verify a card is valid or not.

I have always felt, and tried, to get it so when any warrant is based on marijuana, that the judge/magistrate should be able to verify in the database whether the person named in the search warrant is a patient or caregiver thus negating almost all search warrants unless evidence of noncompliance exists.

They tend to look at me like I am crazy, but it would sure save a lot of headaches..  In this cas obviously, these are just fishing expeditions without a warrant, but yea.

They need to follow suit like the other communitys around us and make marijuana their least important offense. Port huron and Saginaw have small amounts decriminalized?

If the two day prescription pill take back days yeilded 55 pounds of presrciption pills in our county, why would they cancel this program?

Only 32.4 ozs of marijuana was seized last year. Barely over 2 pounds

Unless people take a plea guilty. Small town people do not know their rights.

During the meeting yesterday they gave a slide show on how to spot meth labs and what to do. In the middle of the powerpoint they had slides showing concentrate labs and compared them to meth. They then showed slides of different types of medibles and stated that these products were being targeted to children in our community.

They also cut the Two Prescription Pill Take Back Days this year.

I'm a small town boy and count myself knowing my rights. Please don't suggest there are not any in every burg in the State. 

Maybe I have it wrong. I'm often disappointed when I've invested my confidence in people, only to find they are far from the task. Maybe I should just give up on humanity. 

for reference I know a dozen or so growers in Sanilac county now, and none have experienced any police interaction. doesn't mean much really, but thought I'd throw that out there.  I'd freak out at a compliance check knock on my door.

No chit man!  I have to ask .. is there such a thing as a compliance check? I dont think I have seen that in our laws...

Edited by Willy

Greg S?? I live in sanilac county and have most of my life. When it comes down to compliance checks the majority of people do not know their rights. I am glad you know your rights, I then count on you to educate others to help stand up and fight for whats right.

The matter is pretty well covered in this thread. MI Compassion's description of his encounter is excellent. He handled it well. If you are going to go activist then explain to your local government through proper channels that compliance checks without a duly obtained warrant and probable cause are not permitted under the MMMA, and any and all laws that conflict with it are unconstitutional, most pointedly local government ordinances, moratoria, and policies. Put it in a letter to your local legislators, explain it in your local media with letters to the papers, and appeal to your local teevee news people to investigate and report. All things cannabis are hot topics that get great viewership and readership. If you are smart about connecting with print and video reporters they often respond eagerly. I at one point I started a compassion club to get word out regarding the issues, putting announcements of meetings at public libraries in the local papers, and had a lot of interested and interesting people respond. You may very well find some talented people to help with the effort. We jammed the Saginaw City Council Chambers with people to testify against their proposed moratorium that would have restricted all medical use in town. Prior to the issue coming to a head I had already contacted some reporters directly and they wrote pieces based on our interviews in the Bay City Times, The Saginaw News, and some small town publications. I wrote a letter to the Saginaw County Prosecutor who responded politely with a phone call. I had explained that we intended to use our cannabis in compliance with the law. I put out a press release beforehand and some local media outlets covered the meeting. The Commissioners subsequently decided against establishing the moratorium. 

And we celebrated.

Edited by GregS

Grassmatch, i have not had police interaction yet but i have spkoen to multiple people that have. If you havent be prepared they specifically stated they will be using the grant money from lara to complete compliance checks on caregivers and patients.

Their is no such thing as a compliance check in the MMMA.

Greg S, im going to PM you with a couple questions?

It doesnt state wheter it was mmj siezed or illegal marijuana.

I hope more residents from Sanilac County will come to the upcoming town hall meeting, Thursday June 25th at flynn township hall, brown city, mi

You dont have to say anything just come listen to the way they talk about us mmj patients its horrible..

just how in the world will police know who is a patient or  who is a caregiver growing?

they simply cannot bother with a door to door for this. I've been to the city hall nearby when the dtf guy was talking. I heard none of this

type of speak. I'm not saying you are mistaken. Perhaps you have spoken to cg's who have had complaints lodged against them?

I am not aware of city ordinances regulating mmma registrant in their homes, in Sanilac county, are you ?

Their are no ordinances! Their coming to cgs and patients homes based on a anonymous tip that they were growing marijuana. Smell or see a grow facility outside. They then state they wanna check on your pen to make sure your following state laws plant count, check your weight and take pictures of your cards.

The point im pushing is their wasting money on the anonymous tip because these people are following state law

Edited by anonymous2015