Haz-Matt

Caregiver And Guns

After a seven day trial and 120 minutes of deliberation, the jury found both brothers guilty of two counts of first-degree premeditated murder.

Nine days short of the eighteenth anniversary of Ognjan and Tyll's disappearance, the killers were brought into the courtroom for sentencing.

After the victims' impact statements, the presiding judge sentenced the brothers to life imprisonment without parole.

Raymond is currently incarcerated at the Newberry Correctional Facility and his younger brother, Donald, is detained at the Chippewa Correctional Facility in Michigan.

have the convicted been released since then?

2 brothers are in prison,, I dont think it was solved for 18 yrs, so yea it happened in the 80's, they convicted them in late 90's or 2000 something!

They are in prison, my ex who just dumped me. lived with the duval's when she was a young teen, where she came from near glennie, hill billy heaven,,, her dad and his brother knew all of the duvals and did shady biz with them back in the 80's.

Peace

January 19th, 2016 the neighbor and myself caught the guy who'd broke into my house. After PD had taken him into custody and took our statements after the neighbor walked away the police asked about the legality of my firearm and the smell of marijuana.

I did not lie I told him the gun was registered in my name and that I was a legal carded patient showed  him card and paperwork.  I was then informed that I am in violation of state and federal laws and subject to immediate arrest.

My only saving grace is the LEO is part of our community watch program. He told me to close my garden and get rid of my firearm. This morning all the garden is gone but i'm keeping my firearm. 

This morning I sent in my Patient card with a withdrawal letter requesting to be removed from the MM program. When I receive the letter back from LARA I'll post an image.

But I'll be god dammed if I cannot protect my family and property and face more legal sanctions and decades in prison more than the scumbag who broke into my home. 

Maybe some day marijuana will be removed from the schedule list and the issue of firearm ownership along with using or growing cannabis will be resolved.

But until then......I'm out.

was then informed that I am in violation of state and federal laws and subject to immediate arrest.

They can lie to you and they did. I understand you are not in a position to call their bluff. Most people are not. I believe you would have been the perfect test case if you could have stood up to them. Sorry for your loss. Really sorry for your loss. Right now if they did this to me I would fight it with everything I have because the political environment is favorable for people wanting to keep their gun rights. 

wow

thats excellent you were allowed to correct the situation and not get arrested... also that you caught the home intruder.. congrats !

but what a travesty not being able to keep your card because of the way things are situated right now...

Took a CCW class last week. Was told that mmj patients could not past the background check.

Odd, as no one worried about pot and guns fifty-years-ago when I was carrying an M-16 in Vietnam. Let alone the frag grenades. Or the M-60. Not to mention the .50 cal Ma Deuce on top of our base camp team house bunker.

Wonder what changed? Maybe it was the water.

was that the check for a CCW, or the check for pistol purchase I wonder ?

I did a background check on my self and it *mj)does not come up, unless its a code or something I missed.   but, maybe he meant the questionnaire/application, or falsification on it ?   did anyone get up and walk out

was that the check for a CCW, or the check for pistol purchase I wonder ?

I did a background check on my self and it *mj)does not come up, unless its a code or something I missed.   but, maybe he meant the questionnaire/application, or falsification on it ?   did anyone get up and walk out

It's on the gun purchase form. It asks if you use, or are addicted to, illegal drugs. 

Really Resto, I am not asking you for anything. I want confirmation from outsideinthecold, to his statement. not your take, or a repost of a form, but exactly what he experienced, in his own words. he's capable, carry on now

This does not matter. Patient/caregiver status in the registry is confidential. MMP participants can pass any background check they can come up with.

Unless you have been flagged for substance abuse in the NICS database after interaction with police in possession of a gun and marijuana. They will not arrest a compliant patient/caregiver, but will flag the NICS database and it will become an issue on next application for any type of gun permit.

of course, but it makes a difference to me what the cop meant when he said that to outside, said cop statement factual or not.

trix was compliant no ? he was arrested and charged with firearms?

and others too I see?

if the background check in part is the written questions we will have to lie on the form to pass because feds say mj is illegal without exceptions for state claims, or in their fed court. ask Mr Komorn

Edited by grassmatch

I actually took the CCW class twice. Both times I was told the same thing. No CCW (or guns) for mmj patients.

This opinion was expressed verbally by the law enforcement officer who conducted the legal overview portion of the class.

He also mentioned LARA and the background check conducted by the sheriff's department.

I figured this was typical LEO BS but my interest was more in those attending the class and the CCW class content than actually obtaining a CCW permit. Haven't t felt the need to arm myself so it wasn't a big deal. Sort of like illegal transport. If I decide to carry a pistol for personal protection, regardless of the consequences if caught, I will.

I am acquainted with Dan Grow who is now on the new Bar Association mmj section with Michael Kormon. If there is a good reason to challenge to LEO position, I suppose I should be the one to do so although Berrien County may not be a preferred venue.

not confused at all. I was specifically asking outsideinthecold for these exact clarification, you made this confusing for readers possibly while I await a response from outsideinthecold.

fact is, the seller will be breaking a federal law if he knowingly sells you a firearm while you are a marijuana user. this is very clear. stick to that point first, Mr Komorn can explain the rest better than I can. but that's a start

MMP participants can pass any background check they can come up with.

not without checking a box, and that will be a lie. yep, you can pass it. lying on a federal form is dangerous precedent.

tell me I paid for misinformation?

that info is posted earlier in the thread. I know it already. I've seen the form.

I wanted clarification from outside in thecold of the facts. I wanted him to clarify cpl/ccw/purchase permit, as in maybe the teacher meant that one will not pass the background check for the purchase permit of a pistol.

now, to debate if you must...

a marijuana user cannot legally buy a new firearm because he will have to lie on the form to make it acceptable.  stick to that zap. do you agree with that statement?

Absolutely disagree. But many have been convinced by this bad legal interpretation..

is promoting a legal interpretation the best thing for patients and caregivers? I mean, that's probably great for an attorney who stands to benefit, but it's a bit dangerous, imo. I believe that GregS is correct about cg to pt, but still dangerous, no?

I thought the same as grass. There was a question that would require a federal fib.

Edited by suneday11

Hi Zap and Grass. I just chatted with a local mmj attorney, Dan Grow about this matter.

He was surprised the cop at the CCW class would make that statement. Indeed, he asked if I had it on tape. It never occurred to me last week but that can be arranged if there is a reason to do so.

The officer in question is a Watervliet city police sergeant who double dips in Hartford. The CCW instructor is a long-time family acquaintance.