Question About Infusing Oil

Hi. I have been infusing coconut oil with marijuana bud and hash and making sugar cookies for awhile now. Two weeks ago I decided I couldn't take this recipe anymore and needed to switch it up (I think 8 months of the same cookies was ENOUGH). So I made some brownies (ok... I cheated and bought the boxes instead of from scratch) and they were good but also it had called for the same amount of oil that I usually make - 1/2 cup. So I went to the store again and bought a different brownie mix but didn't realize until I got home that it calls for 1/3 cup. The problem is that when I usually infuse 1/2 cup of coconut oil, it is barely enough oil to coat the bud/hash. So how do I get 1/3 cup of oil without decreasing the potency by adding enough oil to coat the buds? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated as always.

I infuse my oil in the oven. I don't know if that matters or not.

Edited by manncastro

1) you could extract the oil from the buds, then infuse this extract into coconut oil

2)  Grind up ounces of herb with a flour grinder, add to a large glass container

cover with oil, warm gently, store, and pour through a filter as needed. You can test potency

with a teaspoon on toast or(?) before using to cook.  You could strain the oil from the herb

for nicer storage options. My barely tinted coconut oil hardens back up and stores well in the original containers.

welcome to the forum!

Add water. boil for about an hour. When you strain out the flowers, you have water and coconut oil.  put it in the fridge until the coco oil solidifies and then take the coconut oil off the water.  Re-liquify and add kief.  You'll loose a little bit of oil to the buds unless you have a press(which I'm looking into getting, the potato shredder/press is getting weaker).

The water solubles in cannabis are not the active ingredients, there must be a better way to regulate the temperature to avoid boiling?

edit - after some thought I'm guessing the water solubles would stay with the water, and the active ingredients would remain with the oil?

water not a bad temp regulator after all!  

my patients use concentrate and not raw buds when infusing, making cooking oils, etc to avoid the taste in butter. 

Edited by grassmatch

Make your half cup like you are used to doing then just use 1/3 cup like the recipe calls for. Keep the little extra you made for your next adventure. Then just eat a little bigger brownie if you have to. Every time you change up recipes you will have to figure out your dosage again anyway. 

Make cannabutter and you can use it on what ever you want!  You can bake with it, you can put it on bagles or toaste, if you dont know how to make it go to you tube, I always use double the mm the recipe calls for and go down from there, I would rather have more than not enough. :drinking-coffee:

welcome to the boards

Peace

I tried the water method Norby describes and ended up with my oil tasting and looking too 'green' for my tastes.

I make capsules which I 1st. make an extract then infuse into the coconut oil as I don't care for the taste of coconut.

Best to you in your endeavor.

Welcome to the forum.

• 1 year later...

I tried the water method Norby describes and ended up with my oil tasting and looking too 'green' for my tastes.

I make capsules which I 1st. make an extract then infuse into the coconut oil as I don't care for the taste of coconut.

Best to you in your endeavor.

Welcome to the forum.

If you blanch it first it takes away a lot more of the green taste. I dislike the taste as well.

The water solubles in cannabis are not the active ingredients, there must be a better way to regulate the temperature to avoid boiling?

edit - after some thought I'm guessing the water solubles would stay with the water, and the active ingredients would remain with the oil?

water not a bad temp regulator after all!  

my patients use concentrate and not raw buds when infusing, making cooking oils, etc to avoid the taste in butter. 

I cant taiste any thing funky in my butter, I have to beleive after many times making it, the longer you simmer it the less taiste you get, and I beleive it helps to get everything out of the mm, it is an extraction so I try and extract all of the cbd's,

The first time I made it I only simmered it for like 1 1/2 hrs, You could taiste it than, Now I have simmered it upto 5 hrs and it most def works real well and not bad taiste,,,,,I do add garlic, onion powders and chives!  I dont cook with it, I use it on anything i would normaly butter, noodles, toast, potatoe's, ect!

Im sold on my buttter and another persons dark chocolate bars, the guy won 2nd place in clio for medibles candy bars!

Peace