Canton Disp Raided, Owners Arrested

t-pain

The defendants were charged amid allegations they provided marijuana to customers who came in with medical marijuana – or registry identification – cards, Wilsher said.

"There is no license for that type of business," he said.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/canton/2015/07/16/canton-marijuana-business-busted/30259223/

bad week for disps.

It would make sense to think they were being shut down in advance of a legalization proposal that set up people to have to go to a single source monopoly for cannabis. Not so much MiLegalize and what we are being sold it is. It doesn't make much sense that these dispensaries are being shut down because of what we are being sold that MiLegalize will be. More like what the legislature would turn it into or what the other proposal is at face value. 

Only a monopoly style idea would spawn these shut downs. 

Maybe they want to shut them down now to show a need for law enforcements' own pet legalization idea/proposal? A little kick in the shorts to get their petitions signed?

Their kick off party 'so to speak'.

The spike is worrisome for sure. I do, however, acknowledge the fact that recent raids have been local raids and typically in hostile territory. Canton and Macomb(Shelby) are Oakland County 2.0. If there are a bunch of white people, a downtown marked only by one "main" street, and high schools that look like college campuses, your dispensary ain't gonna fly right now.

It doesn't take a genius to grade the risk factor in relation to location.

Npra held a few fundraisers for those nice fellas in the legislature. They raised plenty.

Much like prairie plant systems did for their bill. And much like pps, npra got nothing to show for all of that work.

I predict hb4209 will be another worthless law like the

pharmaceutical grade cannabis law.

I'm worried when ann arbor, lansing, detroit, and flint go down.

Yeah this sucks big time. Apparently instigated by local police although I wonder about who the "multiple law-enforcement agencies" were (probably just Canton + state police). The locations you mention are either sympathetic/accept dispensaries (A2, Lansing)) or probably don't want to bother because the police are overburdened as it is (Detroit.) But that would be a major change in the status quo.

I predict Michigan will be legal in 2016. Hope that it will be retroactively applied to victims of the system.

Charges issued against individuals operating marijuana dispensary in Canton

July 16, 2015, Canton, MI – In September, 2014, the Western-Wayne Criminal Investigations Unit began an investigation into the Pure Wellness Marijuana Dispensary located at 145 N. Haggerty Road, in Canton. Over the course of the next six months, unit detectives continued the investigation until March 19, 2015, when multiple search warrants were executed.

Following the search warrants and examination of the evidence, the Michigan Department of the Attorney General authorized multiple felony charges on the individuals involved in the operation. On Wednesday, July 15, 2015, the individuals involved turned themselves in.

At 14A-2 District Court, the Honorable Judge Tabbey arraigned Amanda Elaine Joslin, age 40; Eric Dejonghe, age 26; and Jacob Scholin, age 21 on the following charges:

•   Conspiracy – Deliver/Manufacture Marijuana; 4-year felony and/or $10,000

•   Controlled Substance – Delivery/Manufacture Marijuana; 4-year felony and/or $20,000

All three defendants entered a plea of not guilty and were released on a personal recognizance bond. The individuals are scheduled to appear in 14A-2 District Court on July 23, 2015 for a probable cause conference.

At the 35th District Court, the Honorable Judge Lowe arraigned Amanda Elaine Joslin on the following charges:

•   Criminal Enterprises-Conducting; a 20-year felony and/or $100,000

•   (2) counts of Controlled Substance – Delivery/Manufacture Marijuana; a 4-year felony and/or $20,000

Joslin entered a not guilty plea and was released on a personal recognizance bond, and is scheduled to appear in 35th District Court on July 24, 2015, for a probable cause conference.

The Western-Wayne Criminal Investigations Unit is a multi-jurisdictional task force consisting of police officers from various agencies in Western-Wayne County and the Michigan State Police. 

http://media.mlive.com/news/detroit_impact/other/Charges%20issued%20in%20Canton%20dispensary%20bust.pdf

Edited by bobandtorey

You can be charged with drug conspiracy without ever having bought, sold or possessed any type of illegal narcotic. Simply having a conversation with another person who is under investigation for drug charges can be considered a ‘conspiracy’. Many other situations lead to conspiracy charges, such as lending someone property which is used for a drug crime.

I am not an attorney and won't pretend I have the following completely accurate but as I understand it this may be close to correct.

There was a recent Ninth U.S. Circuit Court ruling that in effect puts everyone involved in mmj and rmj (recreational mj) at risk ruling the Fed Stamp law trumps the State laws. This ruling means there is no such thing as legal mj and anyone thinking otherwise should reflect on the fate of Al Capone. The dying in prison part, not the dying of syphillis part.

The ruling was not favorable for any of us here and could well have gone the other way.

Edited by outsideinthecold

wow conspiracy charge, really throwing the book at them. i dont remember any other cases with conspiracy charges. maybe its more prevalent than i remember.

Wow! is right it has been done before with Brian V and Big Daddy in Oakland County of course when the Courts are on the ropes they say take this plea deal or else because we don't need no Sec 4 or Sec 8 for conspiracy charges and we are good at it because we do it all the time

I hope this is a wakeup call to the ones that are open or going to open think twice