Who Really Controls Lara And Medical Marijuana In Michigan?

bobandtorey

How do you know that ?

The assurances I was given about the people who were tasked to carry out the logistics gave me full confidence that the petition would be forwarded in it's entirety.

With these new revelations about holding back scientific data I started asking around and that's when I found out that my petition lacked the scientific studies I included. 

The assurances I was given about the people who were tasked to carry out the logistics gave me full confidence that the petition would be forwarded in it's entirety.

With these new revelations about holding back scientific data I started asking around and that's when I found out that my petition lacked the scientific studies I included. 

Thanks

i don't see you just letting it go i know i wouldn't after doing all that work you did because it could make all the difference in getting it Ok ed 

wow thats messed up. what can we do to get this fixed?

gotta find some newspaper guy to make a stink about this.

Oops. The Free Press already has it:

Medical pot review panel: State omits autism documents
By Bill Laitner, Detroit Free Press 9:41 a.m. EDT July 21, 2015
B9318119141Z.1_20150718193400_000_G84BCJBuy Photo

(Photo: Ryan Garza Detroit Free Press)

353 CONNECT 17 TWEETLINKEDIN 29 COMMENTEMAILMORE

State officials on Monday acknowledged they'd omitted hundreds of pages of medical studies from packets supplied to a state review panel slated to consider medical marijuana for treating autism.

The panel will reconvene July 31 to reconsider autism, officials said.

"I became aware several weeks ago that we hadn't received a huge number of documents, maybe six or eight hundred pages," said David Brogren, 61, a retired insurance agent who treats his multiple sclerosis with medical marijuana.

Brogren notifed state officials of the omission two weeks ago and was assured that the materials would be added to panel members voting packets, he said. Yet, at Monday's hearing in a state office building in Lansing, "I brought in this thick pile of documents that they still hadn't given to us" — he got them from the petitioner's lawyer — "and I tossed it on the table," said Brogren, who moved recently from Bloomfield Hills to Mason, near Lansing.

Related: Pot for kids? Some parents say it's good medicine

Staffers of LARA — the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs — called for a 15-minute recess, met with lawyers from the Michigan Attorney General's Office, then offered to provide the missing studies if the panel postponed its hearing to July 31 at 1 p.m., panel member Robert Noiva of Rochester said.

Panel members voted 5-0 to postpone as "the only fair thing to do," said Noiva, associate dean for medical education at Oakland University's William Beaumont School of Medicine in Auburn Hills.

"Licensing and Regulatory Affairs provided the information we were supposed to provide and David Brogren wanted the department to provide the reference materials cited" in the petition, said LARA spokesman Michael Loepp. The Michigan Attorney General's Office referred questions to LARA.

Related: Medical marijuana for autism? Committee to consider it

B9316584034Z.1_20150312184229_000_G44A71Buy Photo

Attorney General Bill Schuette (Photo: Kim Mitchell/Detroit Free Press)

Some in the audience, including parents of autistic children, labeled the omission an intentional obstruction by the Michigan Attorney General's Office, headed by Bill Schuette, a strong opponent of medical marijuana. Schuette's staff lawyers initially blocked the autism petition, first filed in May 2014, in a lengthy court fight before dropping opposition in April, said Michael Komorn, a Southfield attorney who successfully argued the case in Ingham County Circuit Court.

Contact Bill Laitner: 313-223-4485 or blaitner@freepress.com.

Edited by GregS