Marijuana Use In Early Adulthood May Increase Prediabetes Risk In Middle Age

Here's the abstract:

Aims/hypothesis

The impact of marijuana use on metabolic health is largely unknown. This study sought to clarify the cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between self-reported marijuana use, and prediabetes (defined as fasting glucose 5.6–6.9 mmol/l, 2 h glucose post OGTT 7.8–11.0 mmol/l or HbA1c 5.7–6.4% [39–47 mmol/mol]) and diabetes.

Methods

Data from the community-based Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study were used to determine marijuana use and the presence of prediabetes and diabetes among participants. The association between marijuana use and the prevalence of prediabetes and diabetes was examined in 3,034 participants at CARDIA examination year 25 (2010–2011), while the incidence of prediabetes and diabetes according to previous marijuana use was assessed in 3,151 individuals who were free from prediabetes/diabetes at year 7 (1992–1993) and who returned for at least one of the four subsequent follow-up examinations over 18 years.

Results

The percentage of individuals who self-reported current use of marijuana declined over the course of the study’s follow-up. After multivariable adjustment, higher odds of prediabetes were found for individuals who reported current use of marijuana (OR 1.65 [95% CI 1.15, 2.38]) and a lifetime use of 100 times or more (OR 1.49 [95% CI 1.06, 2.11]), compared with individuals who reported never using marijuana. There was no association between marijuana use and diabetes at CARDIA examination year 25. Over 18 years of follow-up, a greater risk of prediabetes (but not diabetes) was found for individuals who reported a lifetime use of marijuana of 100 times or more (HR 1.39 [95% CI 1.13, 1.71]), compared with individuals who had never used marijuana.

Conclusions/interpretation

Marijuana use in young adulthood is associated with an increased risk of prediabetes by middle adulthood, but not with the development of diabetes by this age.

If you're an Inuit, however, cannabis use was associated with lower BMI, lower % fat mass, lower fasting insulin, and insulin resistance.

Results

Cannabis use was highly prevalent in the study population (57.4%) and was statistically associated with lower body mass index (BMI) (P < 0.001), lower % fat mass (P < 0.001), lower fasting insulin (P = 0.04), and lower HOMA-IR (P = 0.01), after adjusting for numerous confounding variables. Further adjustment for BMI rendered fasting insulin and HOMA-IR differences statistically nonsignificant between past-year cannabis users and nonusers. Mediation analysis showed that the effect of cannabis use on insulin resistance was indirect, through BMI. In multivariate analysis, past-year cannabis use was associated with 0.56 lower likelihood of obesity (95% confidence interval 0.37-0.84).

Conclusions

Cannabis use was associated with lower BMI, and such an association did not occur through the glucose metabolic process or related inflammatory markers. The association between cannabis use and insulin resistance was mediated through its influence on weight.

I agree. The bulk of aisle food at the grocery store is designed to make you sick with dis-ease. This is where all of the crunchy packaged and frozen prepared chemfoods are displayed. Those are the go to foods for a large population of people, maybe young teens too.
I suspect the list that a physician gives to "prediabetetics" and "newly diagnosed" also is cause for alarm. I worked in a business that catered to this sector, both physicians, patients, and durable goods. What I saw was sick. This "list" goes something like this;

FOODS THAT YOU SHOULD BE EATING IN MODERATION

potatoes

chips

pie

cake

soda

alcohol

pasta

while truthful, the deceit is in the results. I watched patients treat this as a shopping list, even adding items they never used before. doctors know about it, and sometimes say things like "don't tell me things like that" after they hear the patient answer to "what have you been eating".  who hasn't heard "just don't tell my doctor" ?   the scene is staggeringly similar to some futuristic books I've read. Rx after Rx, symptoms suffered because of them, soaring sugar, poor health, more symptom relieving rx, stroke, strange thoughts, antidepressants, amputation, kidney dialysis, death. Seen it many times over, loved ones, employees, workmates.

nice program....ohmy

Edited by grassmatch

my dr. said I was pre diabetic when I weighed 278lb's she wrote me an rx for glufalagg, I told her I would not fill it and I needed a diet, I lost 140lb's and havent heard a word about pre diabetic since!

as we get older we realy do need to watch what we eat, I have been lucky to get my weight back downt to under 200 lb's and im comfy, I am 6' tall and weigh 195 and this time, my most comfortable weight for me is between 185 and 195, it is better on my back and arthritis, and my self confidence, not that I care what others think, I act the same now as I did 100lb's ago, but my body seems to act better at the lower weight and my eating habbits at this weight!

No pre diabetic here today!

Peace

Excellent ^^ !!

lol @ "100Lbs go"

I went down to like 165-160lb, I was kinda sickly looking lol, every one told me I needed to quit loosing weight and put a lil back on, if you dont watch your self at the end of dieting it is realy easy to put alot back on,,,,,,I went up to almost 235 after losing all of that weight, and it seemed like it took forever to get back under 200 lb's, Now I need to maintain my diet, I have to watch what and when I eat.  Thanks for the encouragement!

On 4-6-15 I weighed 270 lbs and the  arthritis in both ankles was screaming at me to loose weight.   Fast forward to 9-19-15 I weigh 217 and I will not stop until I see 180 !! I am amazed at how much better I feel and how good 180 will feel. It takes will power and patience but the benefits are worth it !

Thats awsome kev!  did you use any kind of diet? or starve your self like I did lol,  I actualy was on a total protien diet for most of the time, I could just pig out on meat till I was stuffed and I was losing weight pretty quick after that first 20 lb's of water got out of me, once you see it on the scale and in the mirror it realy starts giving you that extra push to keep it going, dieting is like addicting to me, Im looking to level out around 190 and stay there, I cant do alot of exercise becaus of my back, but I dont have to sit on my butt all winter and gain weight either!

winter time is my worst time, I get cabin fever (seasonal disorder is real) and I guess I not only like to use my mm but I eat more during the winter months, I need to find some healthy munchies for me that will get me thru winters and holidays!

Keep up the great work Kev, I know it is not easy!

Peace

Jim