News Roundup Week Of Oct 3Rd

t-pain

you know the drillio.

new study out of iowa, cannabis smoking

http://now.uiowa.edu/2015/06/ui-studies-impact-marijuana-driving

UI studies impact of marijuana on driving

First-of-its-kind study at University of Iowa's National Advanced Driving Simulator shows how marijuana and marijuana with alcohol impact driving

full study: https://d1ai9qtk9p41kl.cloudfront.net/assets/db/14350670844176.pdf

Saliva tests will show the level of THC in your blood stream but in no way determine impairment from user to user. Most all people who have a simple understanding of cannabis know that a specific level of 'use' does not cross reference to impairment from one user to the next. So there will never be a fair number to 'pick' as proof of impairment. Saliva tests are just a way to tell if you have used in the past 4 days. Law enforcement could prove you are impaired using a standard road side physical impairment test and then use the saliva test to try and narrow down what you were impaired by. It's pretty much a useless 'gotcha' yet again ..... just like odor of cannabis. It means nothing in terms of impairment. 

DETROIT, MI -- Complaints and danger surrounding medical marijuana grow operations in residential areas are increasing, says Warren Mayor Jim Fouts, who is calling for stricter laws. 

On the street, it's known as"dabs," oil created through a process using butane that extracts and condenses THC, the ingredient in marijuana that gets you high.

Warren Fire Commissioner Wilbert "Skip" McAdams says butane stored in a Warren man's freezer for creating THC oil is what caused an explosion and fire Monday afternoon.

This oil product is for heavy marijuana smokers, said the mayor, and consuming just a small amount of the oil — which can be ingested or smoked — would make many people sick.

Fouts says the explosion shot the refrigerator door through a wall of the home and 35 feet into the backyard. On its way, the door knocked over the oven, exposed the gas line and started a fire that caused nearly $90,000 in damage. Fouts says, luckily, no one was injured.

Butane naturally pulls THC from marijuana plant material. The butane is then evaporated leaving behind the potent oily THC-potent resin.

McAdams says butane expands up to 50 percent in volume when its temperature decreases, so "keeping it really cold, you expand the gas you have."

He theorizes the container must have tipped over breaking the seal and releasing the gas into the freezer compartment. It spread throughout the refrigerator and an electrical component, possible the fan, caused a spark that ignited the gas and created an explosion.

The house was unoccupied at the time of the explosion, except for a cat that died in the fire, Neighbor Larry Romanik told MLive. 

Fouts said the FBI and police department are investigating whether the homeowner violated any laws. He said it's unclear if he was a registered medical marijuana patient or caretaker.

These type of grow operations, that are not only dangerous but usually coincide with heavy traffic and a "skunk" smell that permeates the air nearby, should be regulated and relegated to industrial-zoned section of the city.

"This is not the first time," Fouts said. "There have been other instances in Warren where fires have been started related to a marijuana grow operation."

Fouts said there have been 16 other fires or explosions in Michigan caused by the butane THC extraction process, and 31 cases in Colorado. 

"I'm not against medical marijuana if it helps people have a better quality of life," Fouts said. "What I do object to is having medical marijuana grow operations within residential areas."

A 2013 precedent found that marijuana THC byproducts, such as edibles and oils, are not covered under the Medical Marijuana Act.

Laws currently before the Legislature contain language that would explicitly outlaw butane extraction in residential areas. 

. It means nothing in terms of impairment. i can agree to that but it's a good way to get you into the system and Court fines thats the way to to make $$ for the city's and towns  

A good way? That's very short sighted. It's a dumb way to steal money and a good way for a city to set themselves up for bankruptcy. A Fool and his money are soon parted, applies to cities too. 

In a 2013 article on Mlive they reported there were 11,000+ caregivers, in 6 counties in Michigan.  I don't know current stats (which I assume have grown substantially statewide), but even if all 16 explosions had happened in those 6 counties in 2013, it's only a 0.00145454545455% chance of incidence.

"These type of grow operations, that are not only dangerous but usually coincide with heavy traffic and a "skunk" smell that permeates the air nearby, should be regulated and relegated to industrial-zoned section of the city.

"This is not the first time," Fouts said. "There have been other instances in Warren where fires have been started related to a marijuana grow operation."

Fouts said there have been 16 other fires or explosions in Michigan caused by the butane THC extraction process, and 31 cases in Colorado. 

"I'm not against medical marijuana if it helps people have a better quality of life," Fouts said. "What I do object to is having medical marijuana grow operations within residential areas."

So in a closed loop system then the butane solvent used to extract the mmj is boiled off into a condenser and reclaimed and re-used?

Is there a commercial extraction system offered for sale anywhere?

Please excuse this question if it is off-topic. I have no interest in edibles or wax. Even after fifty years the reliable old style delivery method (a hand-rolled joint) remains my method of choice.

Edited by outsideinthecold

you are correct. the ones I'm familiar with do not need/ require any more heat than your hands put off for operation. Butane "boils" off at room temperature.

The closed loop system separates the active extract from the (any) solvent and reclaims it for the next use. There is no escape of gas or smells, and the process takes about an hour. The next best thing about them is the fact that the user knows exactly the amount of solvent that is purged through the flowers(perfume too!) and can also match that number before calling it good in the reclaim. this assures 100% of the solvent in , came out before use. There is no further processing necessary. google closed loop extraction system and take a look. basically a distillation device, and in fact can be one.

Edited by grassmatch

In a 2013 article on Mlive they reported there were 11,000+ caregivers, in 6 counties in Michigan.  I don't know current stats (which I assume have grown substantially statewide)

i've been keeping track of the patient numbers in this thread:

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/44629-new-stats-registry-id-cards-issued-for-fiscal-year-2014/

the last stats i have been able to find is this:

in 07/11/2015 there were 177,000 registered patients

(yes, we have more registered patients than canada and most other states...)

the caregiver numbers have generally came out to perfectly 1/5th the patient numbers over the years.

so i'd guess around 35,000 caregivers.

Manager of pot shop in Detroit shot

DETROIT - 

The 28-year-old manager of a medical marijuana dispensary on Detroit's west side was shot Tuesday morning as he walked out to his car, police said. 

The shooting happened around 10 a.m. at Store 420, which is in the 19600 block of Grand River Avenue.

Police said the manager is in critical condition.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/1-person-shot-at-medical-marijuana-dispensary-on-detroits-west-side/35680558