Potential Caregiver

mike76

Is this the right forum to ask questions regarding the subject of starting a care giver practice? I am a veteran and would like to ask several questions regarding starting a practice.  Mike

My advice to you is dont do it ive been a caregiver since 09 it was great for almost 5 years but then my main patient left and I had to bring in a new patient that is just not satisfied with anything I provide so to keep my sanity im going to start downgrading immediatly and just keep a select few patients people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to working with a caregiver so unless you like scraping by month to month and dealing with what I described I would not bother .

My advice to you is dont do it ive been a caregiver since 09 it was great for almost 5 years but then my main patient left and I had to bring in a new patient that is just not satisfied with anything I provide so to keep my sanity im going to start downgrading immediatly and just keep a select few patients people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to working with a caregiver so unless you like scraping by month to month and dealing with what I described I would not bother .

Yep. It's like restoring a '41 ford coup. You can spend 4,000 hours working on a car, but when it comes time to sell it, you're lucky to even break even on your parts costs, and you'll never get anything for your time. It's called "a labor of love."

maybe op cares less about the money he can make and more about the other vets in his position he could possibly help?

I can say caregiving is a blast. some months I make money, others I smoke for free, but form the start its been only me absorbing the risks, staking the initial investments, and doing all of the work. Growing medical grade cannabis is a task, one that becomes daily habit and runs on automatic. Patient management becomes the real duty.

Its really as simple as discovering how much monthly money you require, and servicing only the patients who will remit that amount within your agreed upon schedule. Your operating cost will determine the necessary revenue needed to continue your service. If a patient is not performing as they said they would , find one who will. Sounds easy, it isn't.

good luck

Growing medical grade cannabis is a task.  Patient management becomes the real duty.

A task without respite, break or vacation or extended absence.   And no substitutes allowed.  In the eyes of the law, you truly are irreplaceable and super-human. Unrealistic and stupid!  Right on!  

he's skeered away !  all these accomplished caregivers advising him NOT to become one, while they continue their caregiving services.....the expensive labor of love & hellish nightmare that it is for them... :dodgyrun:  :P

If my garden bills were nearing a thousand bucks a month, and I couldn't take time away, and didn't get compensated satisfactorily  for my supply.....I'd advise the same I suppose. I'd prolly just grow my own and spend more time with loved ones. If I could have found the quality, cost, consistency that I provide to my patients, I would have been fine buying my own supply from a happy caregiver in the beginning.  Glad I didn't though really, I've met some super people along the way, made some life long friends, and am in  a position to improve lives of strangers every day.  As far as jobs/services I've performed.... I think this one feels the best.

Be the Best You Can Be OP  !  Learn to grow your own stellar supply first, then find legal patients who love what you do :) I find patients who share common ground, live similar lifestyles, with similar disabilities,  eat healthy, sleep well etc....are a fine fit in my garden.

Here's the way I figure it:

The State of Michigan told me that I could legally grow marijuana. I am one of those people who has grown marijuana illegally "on the side". Now they tell me that I can grow it legally? Lookout! They gave permission to the wrong guy here.

I love growing marijuana. I can grow enough for myself using one 400 watt for veg and one 600 watt for flower. By adding a couple more 400 watters and another 600 I can grow enough for 5 people. All my patients are family or friends. We all get "Free" weed and I get the joy of growing plus free beer. I call it a win-win situation.

I save $250 a month by growing my own as opposed to buying it off the street. So I break even. Good enough for me.

Edited by amish4ganja

What you want us to lie and tell him he can get rich being a caregiver ?

Even you cant seriously be trying to say anyone can make a living being a caregiver most of us are lucky to break even .

No lies necessary. I didn't see the op ask about money actually, just about being a caregiver. With so much more to it than just money I was hoping he is interested in the other aspects involved. could be wrong, but hoping not. who really cares of gross income anyways?  does it matter if you earn 50k a year growing cannabis, while your payables add to 40k ?   gross income is a senseless discussion in this realm. I only wished to show exactly how it could be done, that's it. All I hear about is the woes of patient management, finding, keeping, satisfying, etc, and how little money can be made.  5 patients using an ounce a week would do return the 50k gross, but yes, above posters are correct in saying they are not able to accomplish this, just doesn't mean nobody can, all it takes is those five patients.

seems there may be more to making money than just finding the patients willing to give it to you.  could cover all of the other necessities too, not just the patient finding part. Good lights are needed, good atmospheric controls too, work space, dirt space, processing space. some could say they would not be able to properly service because they do not have the room to do so, but with a bigger room they realize possibilities maybe.

A few cg's in this forum claim they cannot make money because the patients do not exist mainly. Dispensary income proves this wrong. A new one opens every month!  they are making cash hand over foot, from those patients you cannot find. There are dynamics involved that deserve exploration when expectations are not being met. Excuses wont cut it. the heavy use patients I have encountered all say the same thing. dispensaries are hit and miss, and very expensive(I imagine so with an  oz a week!)  They report past cg's and the follies experienced while trying to be supplied. They tell me of silly grow tricks, crappy rooms, delivery driver in stinking rags, with a flop car. This is exactly the types they wanted to avoid when they registered. I wonder what their cg's said about finding proper patients after they were deserted

The issue now isn't the 50k at all, since we see it is indeed possible. The real issue, if a cg is unable to do it but wants to,  is patient management, cannabis quality, available work space, reliable genetics, proper controls for example.

I don't "make a living" being a caregiver. I do not think it to be a viable option in MI at this time for anyone to do so legally. If all I did is break even though, I'd only grow for myself most likely.

Turns out, with the only cultured cannabis library in the state, maybe the country too,  I need at least one of every offering available to support the project I'm involved in. The only way to do this is with more samples allowed for me to cultivate. The step towards that end is more patients.

It is correct to believe I am a discerning caregiver, taking the appointment seriously. I am typically  interested in established, mj experienced, responsible, punctual, sane, settled, happy, married, retired/disabled/homebodies, musicians/artists/teachers types of patients. My waiting list is full of those beautiful people.   

For the record I trade my labor for free cannabis, lots of cultures. I could not honestly afford my mj med needs if I didn't also accept donations.

peace

Edited by grassmatch

Well, GM, I understand your math. If a CG can find five patients who need 4 oz per month and can pay $225 per, the CG can gross $50k per year.

Similarly, if a CG can find five patients who buy 8 oz per month each at $225 per, the CG will gross $100k per year.

We can slice and dice the math all day long.

You say that you grow high quality meds for little cost and little time. I have no reason to doubt you. You also say you have a waiting list of prospective patients. I don't have any reason to doubt that either.

What we are talking about here are best-case scenarios. So let's just consider it a given that you grow the best cannabis in the land and have a long line of patients hoping to be assigned to you.

So let's keep it real. Tell us how many patients you have met/signed-up who can pay and are willing to pay $900/month for cannabis.

I'd have to believe that you have five patients paying $900 per month each and you provide about 20 oz of meds every month.

Otherwise, if you can't do it, who can? Who does? Is this a realistic expectation for a CG or isn't it?

Well, GM, I understand your math. If a CG can find five patients who need 4 oz per month and can pay $225 per, the CG can gross $50k per year.

Similarly, if a CG can find five patients who buy 8 oz per month each at $225 per, the CG will gross $100k per year.

We can slice and dice the math all day long.   Exactly !

You say that you grow high quality meds for little cost and little time. I have no reason to doubt you. You also say you have a waiting list of prospective patients. I don't have any reason to doubt that either.

I spend a considerable amount of time in the service, not necessarily growing cannabis. Perpetual growth, interviewing patients, tissue cultured cannabis.....all take up way too much of my time actually, all related to the service I provide. Depending on quantity my prices are 150-225, a modest fair donation I'm told.

What we are talking about here are best-case scenarios. So let's just consider it a given that you grow the best cannabis in the land and have a long line of patients hoping to be assigned to you. 

I claim only to grow the best cannabis in the world for myself. the patients accepted have similar chemotypes as myself, and enjoy in similar ways, the same profiles that I do. I've accepted patients in the past that I could not satisfy for various reasons. Cannabis quality wasn't one of them, however cannabis profiles desired were just not in my garden-i.e. "you don't have any purple bud man?" "answer-you didn't mention this in our interview".....( I do have purple bud man, this was an example....lol)

So let's keep it real. Tell us how many patients you have met/signed-up who can pay and are willing to pay $900/month for cannabis.

not sure, no records since 2009. My guesstimate is 35. Some still cycle in and out currently. I service several travelers for instance who collect their supplies and move on for a period of time, allowing another to do the same. There are "groups" of people like campers, bikers, unions, etc that could offer similar convenience.

I'd have to believe that you have five patients paying $900 per month each and you provide about 20 oz of meds every month.

You would be incorrect. That requires strict controls, much labor intensive work, delicate plant counts/weights balances, and obviously rare patients who will meet every expectation. I have supplied this way in the past, and occasionally still register heavy needs patients when they seek me out. I do not keep a full registry, nor are they all heavy users. One is dirt poor, barely uses or pays, another is a half ounce a week for example.  I keep a couple spots open for my "cycling" which keeps me out of the red now.  I make several changes to my registry, as an easier option for me to continue..., sometimes monthly.....get it?

Otherwise, if you can't do it, who can? Who does? Is this a realistic expectation for a CG or isn't it?  It is NOT a realistic expectation of mine that the bulk of suppliers would go the lengths I've gone to supply in the manner I have in the past.   This is not a realistic expectation for a cg. I invested ridiculous amounts of cash into this craft then I made good money legally, and poured it right back into my garden. I did recoup my total costs finally a few years ago. I make no apologies for my positive patient outcomes, all of them.

peace

Edited by grassmatch

my opinion on the matter shouldn't be regarded with much more than a grain of salt.

Highly unlikely?  

yes, that anyone would ever mention the possibilities here. I operate 100% and have done it. I had to bust my azz all around. it was a great plan, one that functioned by design. Will someone else decide to be the best they can be, and stumble on some cash, geesh, I hope its a likely scenario honestly. I'm not that smart at all, just driven. I even assisted in leaving behind a useful resource for others to use. I was the change I wished to see.

I meet smarter people than myself often, and  smart enough to avoid growing cannabis right now. I'm good at what I do and suspect others are better, so of course others, maybe others with a plan, and a drive, are doing the same thing. Good for them,  I would never chuck stones at them, I applaud them. This is a tough gig for anyone, especially anyone with a monetary payback expectation/need why? not sure, but I sense many begin on a shoestring, and ultimately fail because of it. I was fortunate to be able to start with a ripped picture page from a high times cover, good fortune was on my side. I didn't grow cannabis before I had a card but sometimes regret getting it now for some nagging reason. mostly caused reading this forum scary news oddly.

Edited by grassmatch

I save $250 a month by growing my own as opposed to buying it off the street. So I break even. Good enough for me.

Best answer to this thread and I agree even though there is not a big profit to be made if you use cannabis its a definite plus to be a caregiver for the free medicine .